What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (5 Viewers)

Frank Gore had a couple of ACL tears and he has been a work horse for many years with much success
Frank Gore is bionic though. Both shoulders, both knees, heart of fire and an engine that never quits. And he had his surgeries in the dark ages comparatively.  

He's the exception to all the rules of longevity, not the rule. 

But Cook should be back in a year.  For the Vikings, in way it's fortunate it happened this early - he could be back by week 1 of everything breaks right in rehabbing it. 

He was back in the game after he was hurt. After watching him drop balls today, not sure - I think Murray slides in as the replacement for Cook, while McKinnon's usage  is similar to now but more snaps - like 60-40 split with the 2 of them instead of 75-20-5 like it was with Cook/McKinnon/Murray
Vikings have tried to feature McKinnon before - did not go well. I think it'll be pretty clearly Murray 1st & 2nd + short yardage & McKinnon on passing downs. 

Dunno what split that'll be - depends on what split the Vikings call run/pass I guess. 

Vikings have tried to feature McKinnon before - did not go well. I think it'll be pretty clearly Murray 1st & 2nd + short yardage & McKinnon on passing downs. 

Dunno what split that'll be - depends on what split the Vikings call run/pass I guess. 
The difference is their oline is better now than the past few years.  I thought mkinnon has looked good when asked to run this year

The difference is their oline is better now than the past few years.  I thought mkinnon has looked good when asked to run this year
He has. He has also looked a lot better in pass protection then previously also.

He got some sort of injury after doing a really nice job picking up a blitz and went out for awhile, but he came back into the game later so I don't think it was anything serious. Will post if I hear anything different.

The 60/40 split seems like a reasonable guess to me but I think McKinnon may be on the 60% end.

McKinnon had the fumble and also dropped the ball on an easy catch on 3rd and 2 that was really poor timing for such a mistake. Those errors are a problem. 

From what I have seen McKinnon looks quicker than Murray though and generally better than Murray including in pass protection so far this year. I think these are reasons why he has been playing more than Murray up to this point this year and ahead of Murray on the depth chart.

The Vikings have been using CJ Ham in short yardage situations over both of them.He is a RB converted to FB role. Its possible his opportunities increase with Cook out as well.

He has. He has also looked a lot better in pass protection then previously also.

He got some sort of injury after doing a really nice job picking up a blitz and went out for awhile, but he came back into the game later so I don't think it was anything serious. Will post if I hear anything different.

The 60/40 split seems like a reasonable guess to me but I think McKinnon may be on the 60% end.

McKinnon had the fumble and also dropped the ball on an easy catch on 3rd and 2 that was really poor timing for such a mistake. Those errors are a problem. 

From what I have seen McKinnon looks quicker than Murray though and generally better than Murray including in pass protection so far this year. I think these are reasons why he has been playing more than Murray up to this point this year and ahead of Murray on the depth chart.

The Vikings have been using CJ Ham in short yardage situations over both of them.He is a RB converted to FB role. Its possible his opportunities increase with Cook out as well.
Pretty much sounds like I'm out of the RB situation for mn.  Such a shame.  Cook was in line for a rb1 season

Pretty much sounds like I'm out of the RB situation for mn.  Such a shame.  Cook was in line for a rb1 season
I used to be more optimistic about McKinnon becoming a good player for fantasy. He hasn't delivered though.

At the same time that was when the Vikings offensive line was worse than it is now. Still not really feeling a lot of trust in McKinnon in the featured role. That said he is likely the best option the Vikings have without Cook unless Murray starts playing a lot better than he has.

I doubt anyone picks up mkinnon.  I would save my priority and drop cook for mkinnon after waivers run if you really need another RB right now.  I don't believe in Murray at all.
I don't either. But I'm pretty sure they'll both be claimed in my league. 

I'll claim Murray 1 & McKinnon 2. Maybe I'll get both if you're right.

I don't either. But I'm pretty sure they'll both be claimed in my league. 

I'll claim Murray 1 & McKinnon 2. Maybe I'll get both if you're right.
I have number 4 out of 12 in my league.  I'm not going to use it on Murray.  I'm gonna try to drop cook for mkinnon after waivers run.  If I miss no big deal.  I still got Martin, Gordon, and Cohen as my other rbs

You're not missing anything you might want to know. 
Guys like Tripitup were beat up in high school and think they're getting revenge on life by bring a DB while hiding behind a keyboard. Let him live his miserable pathetic life while still having nightmares of all the high school wedgies. While most of us are getting laid, he's high-fiving his cat because he celebrated an injury on a message board. 

If assuming a torn ACL, where does he rank now? Had him just behind Hunt and Fournette? Does the injury now put him behind Mixon and McCaffrey?

Ugh this is going to destroy my season. I would rank Cook below Mixon but still ahead of McCaffrey who I think looks like a poor mans Tarik Cohen...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL.how could you ever believe in McKinnon ....he is cold hot garbage.
I don’t. I said above he was terrible and has failed at every opportunity in expended role. 

Others here were saying McKinnon was the better pickup PPR.

i’ll likely claim Murray, who I’m also certain is trash. 

If assuming a torn ACL, where does he rank now? Had him just behind Hunt and Fournette? Does the injury now put him behind Mixon and McCaffrey?
No way. ACL surgeries have an excellent prognosis, especially at his age. Unless we hear of complications, you can expect a young RB to get back to 100%. Take Todd Gurley for instance. 

It sucks this season if you own Cook, but I'd use the injury as a chance to buy low in leagues you don't own him. 

They're both FA in my PPR league & I can use my #1 priority on one of them. Brutal decision. 
 You know the real answer.  The correct answer is C.

Answer #1 - Latavius Murray

Answer #2 - Jerick McKinnon

Answer #3 -   DO NOT USE #1 PRIORITY ON EITHER OF THESE.

Wait until something better comes along.  Treat your #1 priority as an additional roster spot each week. Remember, it is your weapon and you should treat it as such. Wait until the right time to use it.  You do NOT have to use it on mediocre backs in "so-so" situations.  Wait until the right back comes along, in a better,much clearer situation.

Set your clock, wake up right after waivers run, and look then. Odds are you might get McKinnon.  If not, then its a blessing really. What are you expecting, low end RB 2 #s at the best I hope??? You can't even depend on that really.  Remember, these backs are not Dalvin Cook.

Unless I simply had NOTHING at RB, and was truly desperate, I'm holding my priority in your situation, and not even letting another choice cross my mind.

Suppose you use it now, and next week Hyde goes down (you would have hit the Breida lottery), yet you used your precious #1 claim on a back that has little upside. 

Also suppose you use it now, and next week Lamar Miller goes down (you would have hit the D'Onta Foreman lottery), and again your claim would be gone, and you would miss out on better backs, in better scenarios.

I have #1 priority in 2 leagues, and lost 1 or MULTIPLE starters in every league. Personally, I am already content in holding this priority until week 10-11 and beyond.

I am certainly not burning it for either one of these guys, and not even thinking about it.

TZM

Really felt I was on my way to a fantasy chanpionship with Gurley and Cook as my starting RBs. Sucks for the kid, franchise and fans. And I will have to be my best GM scrambling to contend now. 

Wait until something better comes along.  Treat your #1 priority as an additional roster spot each week. Remember, it is your weapon and you should treat it as such. Wait until the right time to use it.  You do NOT have to use it on mediocre backs in "so-so" situations.  Wait until the right back comes along, in a better,much clearer situation.

Set your clock, wake up right after waivers run, and look then. Odds are you might get McKinnon.  If not, then its a blessing really. What are you expecting, low end RB 2 #s at the best I hope??? You can't even depend on that really.  Remember, these backs are not Dalvin Cook.

Unless I simply had NOTHING at RB, and was truly desperate, I'm holding my priority in your situation, and not even letting another choice cross my mind.

Suppose you use it now, and next week Hyde goes down (you would have hit the Breida lottery), yet you used your precious #1 claim on a back that has little upside. 

Also suppose you use it now, and next week Lamar Miller goes down (you would have hit the D'Onta Foreman lottery), and again your claim would be gone, and you would miss out on better backs, in better scenarios.

I have #1 priority in 2 leagues, and lost 1 or MULTIPLE starters in every league. Personally, I am already content in holding this priority until week 10-11 and beyond.

I am certainly not burning it for either one of these guys, and not even thinking about it.

TZM
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Breida & Foreman are both rostered, but I get your point.

that said, losing Cook and with a high chance TyMont doesn’t play leaves me a bit thinner than I’d like, but I think you’re right that neither Murray nor McKinnon are worthy of the WW1 priority. 

Sigh. I hate injuries. 

This in spades.

Murray isn't that good.....he had value last year in OAK because he scored 12 TDs and pretty much stayed healthy.  He will be a TD dependent flex play at best.  McKinnon is a good receiver and works well in space, but isn't a really good runner between the tackles and is frequently nicked up.  They will both kill each other's value.

Pass on using the #1 waiver on them, and don't spend much FAAB to acquire them.  Let someone else drain their funds on Murray and McKinnon, just like owners drained funds on Buck Allen....we saw that was a mistake.

steelers1080 said:
Drafting him instead of Hunt seems like an even bigger mistake now. Bad luck.
I wouldn't beat yourself up over that one.  Cook looks like the real deal and there's no way to predict injuries like this.  He should be able to recover from this.

I don't think most had Cook/Hunt as even a legitimate decision to make at the time rookie drafts were taking place anyway. 

fruity pebbles said:
Official torn ACL out for year will have surgery
Should be fine for 2018.

For this year, I have Martin coming off suspension this week. Not thrilled with his first week matchup but playing him. Flexed Mixon this week and will continue to do so. Obviously this one hurts but I'm not wasting time with Murray or McKinnon. I know what they can do and I wouldn't feel confident either has upside to be a better option than what i currently have. Will try for Collins and Jones this week, and keep monitoring other lottery tickets, but without Cook I have no interest in owning a Vikings RB in 2017.

TZMarkie said:

But there is no answer C? :(

Man, I really liked this kids potential.  With that said, he should come back and do well.  I think Jamal Lewis tore his knee up his second year and came back to have a 2000 season. That was an eternity ago.  To me, ACL repair has gotten so routine it is only a killer because of rehabtime, not the actual injury.   Foot injuries seem much worse these days.

Just listening to Rick Spielman when asked about Dalvin Cooks recovery and he says he expects the recovery to be similar to Adrian Petersons. That the way Cook has attacked rehab he expects Cook to be a bit stronger this season and to play with a chip on his shoulder.

Just listening to Rick Spielman when asked about Dalvin Cooks recovery and he says he expects the recovery to be similar to Adrian Petersons. That the way Cook has attacked rehab he expects Cook to be a bit stronger this season and to play with a chip on his shoulder.
Love watching this kid all the talent in the world 

Love watching this kid all the talent in the world 
Agreed.  In college he seemed extraordinary.  I was hoping the Packers would get him, speed, balance, receiving talent, the kid seemed the full package physically.  I did not put much stock in his combine time as it was evident to me that the kid has speed to burn, so what if his "track start" is not as good as some others, his football speed was evident.  I admit to feeling relief when he went down as I believe this kid is going to be the next Viking back to vex the packers for 6 to 8 years, like Peterson, like Smith, like Forman.   In the end ,though, I don't want to survive the career of an opponent's great by having him miss games.  You have to meet that stuff head on.  A team is defined by its opponents.  That is something the Patriots, for instance lack being from a week Division in a week Conference.  *Not like say the 70's Steelers who were defined by both the Raiders and the Cowboys).  I hope the kid comes back better than ever.  How my team, the Packers, does against him will help define who the Packers are, and who the Vikings are. I anticipate some epic runs and some epic stops over the next 7 years.  I am looking forward to the heart ache and to the jubilation.

I’d be selling at his current price. It’s amazing that he has gained so much value with such a small sample, is coming off injury, and has off field issues. No thanks

I’d be selling at his current price. It’s amazing that he has gained so much value with such a small sample, is coming off injury, and has off field issues. No thanks
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. If there is a coach/GM I believe in in terms of the vetting process, it is Zimmer and Spielman. The fact that Spielman traded up for him helps too. Small sample size I could care less about - kid was a first rounder in the draft because of his skill and tape and showed it in the NFL. ACL issue is a concern but those are so common these days... if we don't hear of any issues during training camp it is not something I'd be overly concerned about.

edit: However, I am curious if he has any fumbling issues this season (assuming it is a full season).

Are you saying he has had off field issues since joining the NFL? Didn't think so. :rolleyes:  

So I'm in a 12 team keeper league (Keep 4 players). I like some of the guys I have as I got both Wentz and Rodgers at QB plus Jimmy G, McKinnon, Perine and Dion Lewis, Gordon at my Backs, Kupp, Robby Anderson, Jordy, Funchess at WR and Gronk and Ebron as my TE. I already know I want to keep Wentz and Gordon probably Gronk depending what happens there but I wouldn't say no to a very good offer either. I'm probably dropping Jordy and I want to Trade Rodgers for a reasonable hull. I'm thinking of seeing if I could get Cook though. My first round is technically our 5th round and I'm like mid pack like 5.7 or something around there. Wasn't good enough to win this year but not bad enough to win the losers bracket either. I already know one guy wants Wentz and will offer his 1st but he's at 5.12 as he won the league. For me to trade Wentz at this point I need to be blown away with a offer I can't pass up even then not sure if my heart could pull the trigger. I'm try to either get an establish 2nd back or maybe just keep McKinion or WR or get up the board enough where I end up with one of the better rookies. 

Users who are viewing this thread