What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Borden Fantasy Scouting - Open for Business (1 Viewer)

Borden

Footballguy
I know not everyone has the time review all the players they want to or have access to NFL GamePass so, I will watch all the plays a player was named on from last year and do a write up for you. I will also "scout" rookies based on their draftbreakdown.com videos. I will only go back and watch the last relevant year. Unless I have time to watch more.

Fees: 1 "like" if you thought the write up was a good post. First come, first served order. Unless you're a jerk.  :D

Que:

Tyrod Taylor - Ongoing - Thru Weeks 1 and 2

Duke Johnson

Diggs

L Murray

Devon Johnson

Pharoh Cooper

C.J. Anderson, Devonta Freeman

Karlos Williams, Ebron, Devante Adams

Gio Bernard and Amari Cooper

Keenan Allen

Kenneth Dixon

Hilton, Cobb

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed Reports *Just a place holder at the moment*

QB:

RB:

Jay Ajayi, Deandre Washington, Matt Jones, Langford

WR:

Donte Moncrief, Allen Hurns

TE:

Jay Ajayi and Donte Moncrief please.

i have to decide whether or not to keep them before this coming season.

Thank you!

Jay Ajayi Raw Notes in Spoiler

I really like Ajayi but the poor blocking, playing calling and Tannehill's slow mind I was frustrated watching him. He however is a very good runner. Strong, powerful and good burst. Likes to get downhill and can make nice adjustments. He catches the ball well his hands but can have concentration drops (only one bad one). His high effort and understanding out the situations really helps him move the chains.

The few concerns I have are that because he runs so solid he doesn't have the "dead leg" to offer defenders. It makes him vulnerable to leg tackles. He also will get into this mindset where he only cares about pushing the pile instead of looking to break out of the mess. This only happened a couple times but it could be an issue if he has a high volume of carries it may be a slight cuase for concern.

Overall, I really like him. He make a lot out of nothing in his carries and he should a feature back in my opinion. From a pure talent aspect I really like him. His situation (OC, QB, OL) is a different story but I'm not here to dive into that.

Get north/south instead of looking to keep stretching out the play.

Runs a little out of control (even without the ball). Arms flailing at times.

Catches out of the backfield.

Runs plays the way he is supposed to. Will get his chip on the DE as he slides out to the flat.

Excellent forward lean and burst. Keeps his legs pumping. Able to produce lots of steps in a short time.

Decent cuts. Always looking down field.

Catches with his hands. 

Needs to get heavier leg pump when going into high traffic situations.

Will try to make too many moves in space.

Carries weight momentum forward well even through heavy hits.

Works hard after first contact. Surges forward on high wrap tackles.

High effort runner.

Seems to do a good job of getting two hands on the ball in traffic.

Makes some nice cuts to knife through high traffic.

Able to cut back just well enough against over pursing defenders.

Seems to angles and speed well.

Knows when to smaller cuts/moves.

Good speed but not a flat out rocket.

Shakes off high arm tackles.

Very good running routes out of the backfield.

Doesn’t win heavily contested balls. Also doesn’t always secure the catch enough. Gets caught up looking down field.

Likes to get down hill a bit too much at times. Not even sure if this is a negative. Will get into “plough mode” where he is just smashing forward.

Great effort to get all the yards available. 

Good balance.

His heavy legs allow all his positives but it keeps him from having the “dead leg” ability against low or leg tackles.

Doesn’t turn the corner hard enough along the sidelines.

Not a kick returner.

Does a good job of knowing what is needed for the situation. 

Gets over excited at times. Had a bad drop but he got blamed for what was really a poor/slow Tannehill decision.

Tyrod Taylor... Personally think Sammy may be the best WR in football by next year, but hesitant to really go "all-in" on him until I feel better about Tyrod.  

Allen Hurns, please. I expect some regression, but I was able watch almost no Jacksonville games last year, so I can't anticipate what level of regression to expect. Much appreciated!

I'm constantly amazed at the depth of football knowledge lurking just below the waters in The Shark Pool.

If you could add Matt Jones to the queue I'd be much obliged. Keeper decisions to be made in 2 leagues about him.  Thanks!  :thumbup:

Langford, Duke Johnson, Diggs - all players I will need to decide on in late July. (Ajayi too, but covered already....thanks!!!!)

Borden is going to be busy.
:goodposting: I better get one in before it gets capped.  Devon Johnson - RB -Marshall.  Would like to hear your assessment on him Borden.  I'm not real good at translating film of RBs so thanks for doing this.  Loved the spoiler notes section BTW.

Donte Moncrief Raw Notes in the Spoiler

I will admit my bias right off the hop, I don't like players that avoid the physical or "dirty" work. Moncrief is one of those guys. Too much of a princess for me. To his credit though he started making more catches in high traffic areas but he is terrible in contested situations. He's fast but not a burner. His deep ball tracking is terrible. He mistimes his jumps and his speed. Also, I'm not sure about his route running on the deeper passes as a bunch were either wildly off target or he ran the wrong route. I lean toward the route running as his targets dip after these. His catching technique is also all over the place. He actually did the weird little jump and absorb the ball with your whole body catch once. In general, he just let's the ball get into his body way too much.

On the positive end, he has one NFL elite trait, stopping. This guy can be going full speed and come to a dead stop (on balance and in control) in one step. I honestly think he breaks the cleats in his shoes. Every single DB I saw against him couldn't adjust fast enough. The deep balls to him I think are only to keep the DBs honest enough that they can't cheat the Ins and Curls. 

Overall, I see him as the teams number 2 or 3 receiver but on the Colts passing offence I see him as a WR3 for fantasy. If he had the "my ball" mind set he would be a PPR stud. He works from the slot and the outside which usually gives him nice match ups but also just the schemed plays to the receiver position that he's at would get him nice targets. Luck has the accuracy to place the ball where he can just stretch rather than having to win a 50/50 in the air. Since I did see some improvement over the year in his willingness to get the contested balls I would say there is a chance he becomes more. But I also saw him revert to bad habits at the end.

Weak on the ball. A little bump during the catch and he drops the easy slant catch.

Not as elusive as he thinks he is.

Gives up on passes.

Slows on the top of routes if he doesn’t think he can get there.

Does not track the ball in the air well.

I like to see better body/sideline awareness.

Poor decision making on returns.

Obvious with his push offs.

Waits for the ball.

Does very little after the catch.

Scheme generates his separation.

Fast but not a burner.

Catches every uncontested pass.

Can stop on a dime.

Can stretch out to make a grab.

Starting to make catches with a defender touching or about to start tackling him.

Bad drop on short quick pass.

Lets the ball get into his body. Often.

Almost all his production comes on 90 degree routes and comebacks.

Not a “catch everything” guy.

Benefits from single coverage and Luck’s ball placement and ability to buy time.

Not sure if he is good at sitting in the zone holes.

Works on the outside and the slot.

I’m guessing he doesn’t always run the proper routes. A pick get throw (intended for him) and he’s nowhere to be found. The only other two plays in the game (Falcons) are on punt coverage then a empty set underneath route.

Wow.  I certainly had a higher opinion of Moncrief before your write up.  lol.

I'll probably still keep him because I believe Luck returns to form this season, but he may be a prime candidate for a future trade.

Thanks for all the info/effort/time, Borden!!!

Wow.  I certainly had a higher opinion of Moncrief before your write up.  lol.

I'll probably still keep him because I believe Luck returns to form this season, but he may be a prime candidate for a future trade.

Thanks for all the info/effort/time, Borden!!!
His OC and QB drive up his value. And honestly the way he can stop is a trump card that might be better than the guys with 4.3 speed. He may be a PPR stud just because of those 3 things. 

His OC and QB drive up his value. And honestly the way he can stop is a trump card that might be better than the guys with 4.3 speed. He may be a PPR stud just because of those 3 things. 
It's not a ppr league.

On the bright side, right now he's my 5th receiver, and I have the 1.03 rookie pick; so he'll probably be my 6th receiver after we draft.  lol

Just a general point the NFL WRs are going to take longer to go through because I have to switch from broadcast and coaches film so often to get a good look at what is actually happening. That's not to say that I don't want to but I just didn't want anyone to think that I was just dragging butt (no swearing in the SP) on the WR write ups.

DeAndre Washington Raw Notes in Spoiler

He does not generate enough for to be an every down back. He will be a 3rd down back. He catches the ball nice with his hands but did have a couple drops. Not going to go crazy because of it though. At odd thing that I noticed was that he looked like a different runner in the 2014 game than he did in the 2015 games. He was running up field more and using his quickness to get around guys. In 2015 his stance was wider and he seemed to do worse. He would come to a stop too often, make too many moves and bigger "hops" to the side rather than just quick stepping around guys. He also runs too high. If he could be get his pad level down it would reduce the bear hug tackles.

Overall, I'm not very confident in his ability to make a fantasy impact unless it's a PPR league, he works on some issues and he goes to a place that really wants to utilize a passing downs back. Currently, he doesn't have the skills that demand an OC get him touches. 

Good fight after contact

Wide chopping gait. Runs like a receiving back.

Does carry enough force to be a GL back.

I’d like to see more clip and slip on routes to the flats but may be a system thing.

Solid one step burst.

Hops side to more than a true cut.

Underwhelming pass pro technique 

Runs too high

Much wider stance in 2015 vs 2014?

Does a good job reading the QB when he slips out as the outlet receiver.

Ball security issues?

Doesn’t go to the whistle on plays that he thinks are away from him.

Nicely catches passes with his hands.

Slows down too much.

Tries to use too many moves.

Takes too many steps to slow down.

Does his best work moving forward.

Gio Bernard and Amari Cooper please.  (And I second the Latavius Murray suggestion up thread).

these are awesome!

Nice thread idea Borden.

Are you using a check list or something?

I don't see you talking about the same things in the RB write ups. Just wondering if you have a check list or something to follow when looking at players from the same position?

Gio Bernard and Amari Cooper please.  (And I second the Latavius Murray suggestion up thread).

these are awesome!
To save Borden some time;

Cooper is a freaking Monster Stud Ridiculous Beast.

Notes:

Salivate when watching

Pray he marries your sister or daughter

Better yet, pray he marries both

Superman wears Amari Cooper pajamas

Tyrod Taylor - Ongoing - Thru Weeks 1 and 2 *I need to break this up a bit. It just takes too much time to watch and rewatch so many plays.*

Early Season Impressions: Nice deep balls and errs on the side of the safer overthrow. Isn't looking to scramble right away and looks casual in throw from the pocket when the OL isn't just taking tickets to the sack show. Accuracy isn't pinpoint and doesn't alway properly lead receiver but usually gets it somewhere on the body. He's a bit of a Checkdown Charlie because I think he is struggling to anticipate the receiver being open farther down the field. This wasn't an issue when you're throwing to McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Karlos and Harvin. Mentally, I think he broke down a bit in the middle of the Pats game but he was able to eventually gain back his confidence and stopped looking to just scramble around. At this point in the season, he seems to almost refuse to throw the ball away. As a runner he is fast (for a non-Vick QB) and nimble. For fantasy, I think he really needs another WR. Watkins draws a lot of attention and without Harvin the rest of the defense can just play a shallow zone to cover up the underneath stuff. His rushing is nice but without anticipation and tighter accuracy there won't be much room to run.

Weeks 1 and 2 Notes

Sees the blitz doesn’t panic. Flips it out to a wide open McCoy on the sideline.

Looks casual tossing a pass out to Harvin on an out.

Sees pressure and turns into RB.

Does he sense the back side pressure?

Eyes down the middle of the field until he throws.

Good work avoiding sack and a nice flip the FB. Dropped.

Casual in the pocket working the underneath still.

Good job finding the open man and getting the ball to him.

Beautiful deep ball to Harvin. 55 yards in the air.

Doesn’t need much wind up.

Throwing balls on target before the TE breaks.

Don’t like the designed QB sweep

Scrambles every well but I prefer slides over moves

Slow to see the crossing routes, side arms around defender. 

throws on the move well

Pays price to make the throw

Knocks down tip drill

Doesn’t to do too much but does need to throw it away sooner

INT caused by Clay using his 3” vertical to volley the ball backwards.

Small moves inside the pocket if no major pressure. Looking for options.

Does get caught in the back field because I think he starts to look for running lanes instead of receivers.

I don’t know if he sees enough/understands enough of what is happening downfield. He misses some wide open guys for a more difficult check down. 

Lobs up an easy/bad pick trying to find Watkins deep while on the run.

Doesn’t “feel” pressure well.

Too slow making decisions. Has to literally SEE the receiver open.

Almost refuses to throw the ball away

NE défense has gotten inside his head. Throws way off. 

Bad pass deep. Results in a TD be 2 defenders criss cross in front of the ball. Lucky.

Gaining confidence, perfect ball to Sammy at 25 yards in air, into a bucket.

INT. Bounces off WR hands.

To save Borden some time;

Cooper is a freaking Monster Stud Ridiculous Beast.

Notes:

Salivate when watching

Pray he marries your sister or daughter

Better yet, pray he marries both

Superman wears Amari Cooper pajamas
Love it!  Didn't get to see too many Raiders games last year, and wonder about the end of season slow down.  Simple rookie wall or something else?

Love it!  Didn't get to see too many Raiders games last year, and wonder about the end of season slow down.  Simple rookie wall or something else?
Lol.  I didn't actually watch any film.  I just know the kid is a stud from what little I have watched him.

Nice thread idea Borden.

Are you using a check list or something?

I don't see you talking about the same things in the RB write ups. Just wondering if you have a check list or something to follow when looking at players from the same position?
No check list. 

I tried to make one a last year or the year before but it ended being a waste of time. There's so many things to look for and all to varying degrees that it was taking way to long to watch one cut up. Plus, I found that I was knocking players for things that don't matter. Basically, I'd be knocking Doctson for using small tricks and cheats because he wasn't displaying NFL power at the point of attack. Then turn around knock Treadwell because he was just out muscling DB for the ball and hadn't/wouldn't/couldn't use the small techniques to win the ball in the air. There's lots of examples of amazing players at the same position but with different skill sets. It was also that the sum of the list wasn't close enough to reflecting the player. Moncrief would've been horrible on a check list because it doesn't properly reflect the value of how sudden his stop is. 

Basically, the way I watch tape is A) what stands out? B) how are they succeeding? C) why aren't the winning on this play? D) general observations. 

Thanks Borden.

I have experienced some of the same things when trying to get more detailed and precise with an evaluation. I feel like the details start overshadowing the big picture.

At the same time I am always looking to evaluate methods of evaluation and if I knew how to do it, I would develop a systematic process of evaluation, just for the sake of consistency in the process if nothing else.

For NFL players I really like ratings. So you can compare players across classes fairly and consistently. So I am always asking questions like this, looking for ideas that I could try and perhaps improve my evaluations.

I love the thread and I hope this keeps going for awhile. 

The kind words are awesome. Likes for all!

If anyone has conflicting opinions please let me know which game/plays to rewatch. 

These writeups are great.  You pulled out some stuff on Moncreif, for instance, that is spot on, but I hadnt put together...quite helpful.

it's threads like this that keep the shark pool worth reading.  Two thumbs up!

Allen Hurns Raw Notes in Spoiler

He is a "savvy" route runner. He uses subtle changes in direction to get a DB to change their angle then cuts back to the open spot he created. At times, he is very good at using his hands to help him gain separation out of his break. He finds holes in zones well and follows the flow of the rolling QB well. He scoops low throws well and seems to twist his whole body trying to get two hands on balls. Will lay out for catches and flash high end sideline awareness. Works from all receiver positions. Positions body well to box out defenders. His smarts in the redzone allow him to find/setup open spots but he is not a jump ball guy.

He cradle catches almost every pass and misses/drops a some passes because of this. He positions himself nicely to box out DBs but a lot of times they will out muscle him. He also waits for the ball to get to him (standing still) which allows defenders to jump the route. He flashes good sideline awareness but he doesn't have elite awareness and body control. He rarely plays on the line and gets a lot/most of his work from the slot working the middle of the field and shallow routes. This isn't a bad thing but it also seemed like he got a lot of work in clear passing situations/against soft and deep zones. I don't know if he is situation (Jax always playing from behind) proof. He has a small catch radius and doesn't have enough speed to maintain separation.

Overall, he's young enough that he can improve both his catching and his effort to fight for the ball but if the Jags improve he might be the one that suffers the drop in production. He didn't show improve over the course of the season in these two areas which is a cause for concern. I wouldn't call him a big play guy but he seems to get into the sweet spot below the 2 high safeties and above the LBs enough that I can't ignore it. I don't know how to describe him. He's not good but he is. I think I've describe his game enough that people can form their own opinions. If any follow up questions are posted I will answer them, of course.

Notes:

Works out of the slot and out wide. In motion often too.

Good awareness of the off CB breaking on the slant and spins to the outside for some YAC.

Bubble screen, fumbles on second effort after heavy hit. 

Would like to see better effort on stretching out while feet are in bounds along sideline/sideline awareness and body control

Nice lunging/diving catch in tight coverage

Body catch leads to drop from tight coverage

Draws PI on slant

Slides nicely in front of deep zones

Adjusts (spin) to the ball being thrown behind him without losing his speed. Also, good body control to get both hands on it. Scooped.

Excellent timing with Bortles on deep out. Stretches and keep both feet in.

Drops catch when reaching behind him.

Follows blocks well.

Makes tough catch with cb draped on him and safety bearing down. 

Gets behind DB and makes over committed S miss. 

Has enough speed to make DB commit and sets them up nicely. Works angles more than just sudden movements.

Keeps working and is rewarded for it.

Seperation is based more on savvy moves than physical skill. Acts like he is just trying to tie up defenders then slips over to the scramble side. 

Rarely plays on the line. Maybe be covering up issues with press coverage.

Nicely scoops low throws.

*** How is the hell is Kwon Alexander that fast? Wow.***

Does a good job of shielding with body but loses physical battle to DB.

Body catching is getting out of hand. He’s losing to a boxed out corner because of it.

Toe taps the end zone for a body catch TD.

Not ready for pass, watches it go over his head for an INT. Kind a bad throw too.

Uses hands well to break free/slight push off in breaks

Drop

Diving body catch

Doesn’t fight back to the ball enough

Allen Hurns Raw Notes in Spoiler

He is a "savvy" route runner. He uses subtle changes in direction to get a DB to change their angle then cuts back to the open spot he created. At times, he is very good at using his hands to help him gain separation out of his break. He finds holes in zones well and follows the flow of the rolling QB well. He scoops low throws well and seems to twist his whole body trying to get two hands on balls. Will lay out for catches and flash high end sideline awareness. Works from all receiver positions. Positions body well to box out defenders. His smarts in the redzone allow him to find/setup open spots but he is not a jump ball guy.

He cradle catches almost every pass and misses/drops a some passes because of this. He positions himself nicely to box out DBs but a lot of times they will out muscle him. He also waits for the ball to get to him (standing still) which allows defenders to jump the route. He flashes good sideline awareness but he doesn't have elite awareness and body control. He rarely plays on the line and gets a lot/most of his work from the slot working the middle of the field and shallow routes. This isn't a bad thing but it also seemed like he got a lot of work in clear passing situations/against soft and deep zones. I don't know if he is situation (Jax always playing from behind) proof. He has a small catch radius and doesn't have enough speed to maintain separation.

Overall, he's young enough that he can improve both his catching and his effort to fight for the ball but if the Jags improve he might be the one that suffers the drop in production. He didn't show improve over the course of the season in these two areas which is a cause for concern. I wouldn't call him a big play guy but he seems to get into the sweet spot below the 2 high safeties and above the LBs enough that I can't ignore it. I don't know how to describe him. He's not good but he is. I think I've describe his game enough that people can form their own opinions. If any follow up questions are posted I will answer them, of course.

Notes:

Works out of the slot and out wide. In motion often too.

Good awareness of the off CB breaking on the slant and spins to the outside for some YAC.

Bubble screen, fumbles on second effort after heavy hit. 

Would like to see better effort on stretching out while feet are in bounds along sideline/sideline awareness and body control

Nice lunging/diving catch in tight coverage

Body catch leads to drop from tight coverage

Draws PI on slant

Slides nicely in front of deep zones

Adjusts (spin) to the ball being thrown behind him without losing his speed. Also, good body control to get both hands on it. Scooped.

Excellent timing with Bortles on deep out. Stretches and keep both feet in.

Drops catch when reaching behind him.

Follows blocks well.

Makes tough catch with cb draped on him and safety bearing down. 

Gets behind DB and makes over committed S miss. 

Has enough speed to make DB commit and sets them up nicely. Works angles more than just sudden movements.

Keeps working and is rewarded for it.

Seperation is based more on savvy moves than physical skill. Acts like he is just trying to tie up defenders then slips over to the scramble side. 

Rarely plays on the line. Maybe be covering up issues with press coverage.

Nicely scoops low throws.

*** How is the hell is Kwon Alexander that fast? Wow.***

Does a good job of shielding with body but loses physical battle to DB.

Body catching is getting out of hand. He’s losing to a boxed out corner because of it.

Toe taps the end zone for a body catch TD.

Not ready for pass, watches it go over his head for an INT. Kind a bad throw too.

Uses hands well to break free/slight push off in breaks

Drop

Diving body catch

Doesn’t fight back to the ball enough
Fantastic write-up, I really appreciate it. Since I didn't get to watch many of the Jags games at all, outside of highlights, one of the biggest questions I was hoping to get answered concerned his route running, so I was thrilled to see that as the very first thing addressed. His touchdown rate last year was remarkable, and I wasn't sure if that had more to due with defenses keying on AR15 (A-Rob, to some), or if he had a knack for finding that open space in the zone defense, and the answer seems like it was a little bit of both.

As you mentioned,I'm concerned how his production would take a hit if Jacksonville were to improve this year, but this gives me enough of a reason to dive in on him again this year. I've always liked him, and I can't think of a WR who displayed as much toughness as he did last year, which is a major plus in my books when it comes to my third or fourth wide receiver.

I appreciate the write-up!

Matt Jones *Notes in Spoiler

Needs to adjust his style. He did stop dancing in front of defenders as the season went on but the old habits would creep into his game every now and then. He as limited burst but decent long speed. He needs to become an angry downhill runner that makes slight adjusts while on his tracks so he doesn't lose his speed. His lack of burt means that any time he slows down he becomes a sitting duck. Jump cuts, stutter steps, jab steps, etc. are all his enemy. He does his best work when he seems to be running angry. He can deliver solid force when he commits to it. In his defense the Washington OL was up and down all year. All his catches were underneath and he did have a few drops. I wouldn't consider him to have anything more than baseline NFL player receiving abilities. He sets and follows blocks well but his vision doesn't always seem to be there. However, his "vision" flaws may be more of a product of his lack of lateral agility. 

Overall, Jones right now is a "stop-gap" RB. If he commits to being a force runner (not saying he should try and be a 3 yard head down hammer) then I think he can be a very serviceable back. The type of guy that Washington is fine with and won't actively look to replace. He could be a nice no-non-sense runner that changes out of the back field. If we hear things about Jones trying to put on weight this offseason, I would take it as a good sign. I won't however be going after Jones in dynasty leagues right now.

Notes:

Isn’t looking for lanes.

Doesn’t have the lateral movement to snake through the mess?

Where’s the burst?

Slows down too much. Takes too long slowing down. 

Needs to quit dancing and get downhill

Catches with hands

Waits behind blocks well, uses running angle to keep blocks engaged before bouncing outside. Decent speed.

Needs less moves. More downhill. Don’t dance a corner, run him over.

Nice catch and run. 

Arm tackled at shins

Doesn’t rotate hips/frame enough when changing direction on inside runs. Ends up running sideways instead of steering the ship

Cuts back nice but doesn’t have enough burst to get past the LB. 

Fumble. Reads his blocks well

Responds with aggression on next carry after fumble. This style suits him better.

Good effort run but needs to quit dancing.

Needs to keep legs pumping on dives. Missed chance to regain balance and get loose in the secondary.

Corner tries to go for thighs he drops the shoulder and picks up the first. 

Nice effort on stretch plan to get outside then dive over the low CB tackle

Seems to have quit dancing 

Hasn’t learnt that he isn’t fast enough to back step then bounce outside

Slows down too much and loses too much power on the big cuts 

Needs to come back to the ball instead of waiting for it

Does not maintain speed through the exaggerated cuts

Danced and lost yards

Bad drop

Questionable balance. Almost seemed to give up

Got called out of town for work. Will get to more of these (and back to Tyrod) once I get back.

Matt Jones *Notes in Spoiler

Needs to adjust his style. He did stop dancing in front of defenders as the season went on but the old habits would creep into his game every now and then. He as limited burst but decent long speed. He needs to become an angry downhill runner that makes slight adjusts while on his tracks so he doesn't lose his speed. His lack of burt means that any time he slows down he becomes a sitting duck. Jump cuts, stutter steps, jab steps, etc. are all his enemy. He does his best work when he seems to be running angry. He can deliver solid force when he commits to it. In his defense the Washington OL was up and down all year. All his catches were underneath and he did have a few drops. I wouldn't consider him to have anything more than baseline NFL player receiving abilities. He sets and follows blocks well but his vision doesn't always seem to be there. However, his "vision" flaws may be more of a product of his lack of lateral agility. 

Overall, Jones right now is a "stop-gap" RB. If he commits to being a force runner (not saying he should try and be a 3 yard head down hammer) then I think he can be a very serviceable back. The type of guy that Washington is fine with and won't actively look to replace. He could be a nice no-non-sense runner that changes out of the back field. If we hear things about Jones trying to put on weight this offseason, I would take it as a good sign. I won't however be going after Jones in dynasty leagues right now.

Notes:

Isn’t looking for lanes.

Doesn’t have the lateral movement to snake through the mess?

Where’s the burst?

Slows down too much. Takes too long slowing down. 

Needs to quit dancing and get downhill

Catches with hands

Waits behind blocks well, uses running angle to keep blocks engaged before bouncing outside. Decent speed.

Needs less moves. More downhill. Don’t dance a corner, run him over.

Nice catch and run. 

Arm tackled at shins

Doesn’t rotate hips/frame enough when changing direction on inside runs. Ends up running sideways instead of steering the ship

Cuts back nice but doesn’t have enough burst to get past the LB. 

Fumble. Reads his blocks well

Responds with aggression on next carry after fumble. This style suits him better.

Good effort run but needs to quit dancing.

Needs to keep legs pumping on dives. Missed chance to regain balance and get loose in the secondary.

Corner tries to go for thighs he drops the shoulder and picks up the first. 

Nice effort on stretch plan to get outside then dive over the low CB tackle

Seems to have quit dancing 

Hasn’t learnt that he isn’t fast enough to back step then bounce outside

Slows down too much and loses too much power on the big cuts 

Needs to come back to the ball instead of waiting for it

Does not maintain speed through the exaggerated cuts

Danced and lost yards

Bad drop

Questionable balance. Almost seemed to give up
:tebow:  Awesome stuff, thanks so much.

I put a lot of stock in NFL draft position when it comes to rookies, so the Skins grabbing him 2-3 rounds ahead of consensus was what prompted me to reach a bit for him last August. Living in the Philly area I catch a lot of NFCE games, but even so I felt I might have been seeing his performance through rose-colored glasses ... and it sounds like your overall assessment agrees that he's more future BJGE than future AP.

Maybe come draft time I'll try to swing a trade with the Ajayi owner ;) .

Thanks again for your insight!

Got called out of town for work. Will get to more of these (and back to Tyrod) once get more.
Nooooooo!!!  THIS is your job now!  You get paid in likes.  Those are accepted by all major banks and utilities.  Tell Lumbergh sayonara.  

JK.  Safe travels.  Looking forward to more write ups.

Langford: 

He started out and probably is a receiving back. He showed good burst and speed. Was able to get progressively better at scanning and finding holes as the season went on. He was also able to convert speed to force once or twice at the end end of the season.

Langford is in a tough spot. Gase is gone and Langford's former OC had him get a decent amount of touches. Especially, in passing down situations. With Gase got I'm not sure how much commitment will remain towards him. Langford had decent moments running behind the tackles but on average he was lacking here. The Bears drafted Jordan Howard who (bias alert) I did like going into the draft because of his banger/between the tackles ability. I think Howard can be a "complete" back but I think this is likely to turn into a Gio/Hill situation. 

I know Fox loves his vets but Langford is not a heavy hitter to wear down a defense and he isn't (yet) a slashing enough runner to make a defense truly respect the run.

Notes:

Weak power/drive but good burst and gets going fast, quickly.

Lined up at wide out with a WR in the slot.

Not execellent at catching contested passes.

Will hesitate behind the line.

Looks more natural catching out of the backfield. True scat back/3DB?

Immaturity shows as he get comfortable.

Runs a route (wheel?) into the end zone.

Arm tackled WAY too often.

Does he see the holes/slip lanes?

Nice diving catch.

Beautiful cut back.

Looks like a small target (small catch radius) out of the backfield.

Getting better at finding holes. Or maybe not.

Seems like coaches are telling him to "stay inside" so he puts blinders on.

Bears run blocking is under rated.

Langford in a lot on shotgun. Gase or Fox? New OC concern?

Some bad drops. Not ready/quick (bullet?) passes seem to be an issue.

Doesn't do much to setup blocks.

Seemed to get better as the season went on. 

***** I am without my personal computer (due to a fire) and end up having to put in a bunch of time at work until June 22nd. More players will be marked off when I can. *****

Langford: 

He started out and probably is a receiving back. He showed good burst and speed. Was able to get progressively better at scanning and finding holes as the season went on. He was also able to convert speed to force once or twice at the end end of the season.

Langford is in a tough spot. Gase is gone and Langford's former OC had him get a decent amount of touches. Especially, in passing down situations. With Gase got I'm not sure how much commitment will remain towards him. Langford had decent moments running behind the tackles but on average he was lacking here. The Bears drafted Jordan Howard who (bias alert) I did like going into the draft because of his banger/between the tackles ability. I think Howard can be a "complete" back but I think this is likely to turn into a Gio/Hill situation. 

I know Fox loves his vets but Langford is not a heavy hitter to wear down a defense and he isn't (yet) a slashing enough runner to make a defense truly respect the run.

Notes:

Weak power/drive but good burst and gets going fast, quickly.

Lined up at wide out with a WR in the slot.

Not execellent at catching contested passes.

Will hesitate behind the line.

Looks more natural catching out of the backfield. True scat back/3DB?

Immaturity shows as he get comfortable.

Runs a route (wheel?) into the end zone.

Arm tackled WAY too often.

Does he see the holes/slip lanes?

Nice diving catch.

Beautiful cut back.

Looks like a small target (small catch radius) out of the backfield.

Getting better at finding holes. Or maybe not.

Seems like coaches are telling him to "stay inside" so he puts blinders on.

Bears run blocking is under rated.

Langford in a lot on shotgun. Gase or Fox? New OC concern?

Some bad drops. Not ready/quick (bullet?) passes seem to be an issue.

Doesn't do much to setup blocks.

Seemed to get better as the season went on. 

***** I am without my personal computer (due to a fire) and end up having to put in a bunch of time at work until June 22nd. More players will be marked off when I can. *****
To me the real question is (and I don't know the answer) how does the new Fox regime use backs catching passes out of the backfield? I don't remember him utilizing them much in either Carolina or Denver, but I haven't done the research.

Fantastic write-up, I really appreciate it. Since I didn't get to watch many of the Jags games at all, outside of highlights, one of the biggest questions I was hoping to get answered concerned his route running, so I was thrilled to see that as the very first thing addressed. His touchdown rate last year was remarkable, and I wasn't sure if that had more to due with defenses keying on AR15 (A-Rob, to some), or if he had a knack for finding that open space in the zone defense, and the answer seems like it was a little bit of both.

As you mentioned,I'm concerned how his production would take a hit if Jacksonville were to improve this year, but this gives me enough of a reason to dive in on him again this year. I've always liked him, and I can't think of a WR who displayed as much toughness as he did last year, which is a major plus in my books when it comes to my third or fourth wide receiver.

I appreciate the write-up!
What could be the impact of a healthy Marqise Lee? I may be alone on this, but I still see Lee as the #2 and moving to the slot in 3-wide sets with Hurns coming in as the #3 (due to talent, and Borden's write up seems to "confirm" what I had thought, that Hurns is making the most out of his opportunity while maxing out his capabilities).

Whoa, sorry to hear about the fire. I hope nothing too serious. The work in here is great!

Users who are viewing this thread