What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (16 Viewers)

GAFs rising from the ashes...

Rowed this morning, second time this week.  Also, as noted above, I started using a new rowing app asensei.  It’s kind of like Peloton for rowing, you connect your phone to the Concept 2 and the app tracks your progress on screen against goals, and you get these Olympic rowing instructors.   First workout was kind of easy but I was still sweating hard from the sprint at the end, and got in a decent row.  I want to do the entire 6 week program from start to finish, good for technique if nothing else.  I have no idea what you do after you finish the program, but we’ll see—hoping there are some kinds of workouts I can carry forward beyond that.  But that’s a problem 6 weeks away, and would be a great one to have if I can complete that much.

Mrs. O has started going for walks in the mornings, which is good, because then, like our old routine, she makes time to hold down the fort while I row.  Team effort.

Also during my work day chained into the attic, I’m starting to drop and do some push-ups here and there, during conference calls etc. when I’m not on video.  I figure if I start rowing daily and then doing push-ups, that’s a 100% total body workout, it’s strength training and cardio training, it’s everything I need.  So, if I can cement this into a routine, I’ll never need for exercise. 

We’re eating healthier too.  Nothing dramatic, but just not going off the rails with the junk food.  And passing on stuff like McDonald’s, and instead ordering in a salad or grain bowl from Chopt.  That kind of thing.  And we’re drinking, but staying in the safe zone (white wine spritzers—just enough to relax a little at the end of the day, but don’t take on a tremendous amount of useless calories, and don’t get hammered and start raiding donuts and pizza; also feel fine in the morning).  

So, some GAFs discovered, and we’ll see if we can make some of these modest changes stick.

Go get ‘em today folks. 
I know you do the rowing but have you considered one of those under desk mini-cycles?

ok so i went out camping and spent the last couple o days in a tent and in rivers catching fish life is good but i ate like crap so this is the last day of bad behavior and then its back on the gaf a thon take that to the bank bromigos 
sounds awesome!  take that to the, life is great bank, bromigo

man it is hard to be camping and not just need to drink a bunch of beer at night and i did that so when say i ate like crap really i mean i just sucked in 150 calories a bottle for three hours every night so back on the bandwagon i go starting this afternoon take that to the bank brohans 

GAFs rising from the ashes...

Rowed this morning, second time this week.  Also, as noted above, I started using a new rowing app asensei.  It’s kind of like Peloton for rowing, you connect your phone to the Concept 2 and the app tracks your progress on screen against goals, and you get these Olympic rowing instructors.   First workout was kind of easy but I was still sweating hard from the sprint at the end, and got in a decent row.  I want to do the entire 6 week program from start to finish, good for technique if nothing else.  I have no idea what you do after you finish the program, but we’ll see—hoping there are some kinds of workouts I can carry forward beyond that.  But that’s a problem 6 weeks away, and would be a great one to have if I can complete that much.

Mrs. O has started going for walks in the mornings, which is good, because then, like our old routine, she makes time to hold down the fort while I row.  Team effort.

Also during my work day chained into the attic, I’m starting to drop and do some push-ups here and there, during conference calls etc. when I’m not on video.  I figure if I start rowing daily and then doing push-ups, that’s a 100% total body workout, it’s strength training and cardio training, it’s everything I need.  So, if I can cement this into a routine, I’ll never need for exercise. 

We’re eating healthier too.  Nothing dramatic, but just not going off the rails with the junk food.  And passing on stuff like McDonald’s, and instead ordering in a salad or grain bowl from Chopt.  That kind of thing.  And we’re drinking, but staying in the safe zone (white wine spritzers—just enough to relax a little at the end of the day, but don’t take on a tremendous amount of useless calories, and don’t get hammered and start raiding donuts and pizza; also feel fine in the morning).  

So, some GAFs discovered, and we’ll see if we can make some of these modest changes stick.

Go get ‘em today folks. 
I dare you to do it again tomorrow.

I'm continuing to walk, but the twinges in my feet are scary. Feels like I'm just about to tear some fascia in a way that'll put me out for three weeks, like it did in May. Happens every day, today was my right heel, tomorrow will be elsewhere. The really frustrating thing is that it's essentially impossible to tell whether something is mechanically wrong in there or it's just a cruel, neuropathic joke. But since they go away, I'm choosing the latter until something definitely lets go.

TLDR I'm old

Had to put on real shorts today (as opposed to workout shorts) and my usual shorts are at least 3" too big.  Feels good to have to cinch down the belt.    

Victories like that are better for me mentally than scale changes.
best feeling evah take that to the bank brochacho

Awesome. I see a spin-off rowing thread brewing here..... obviously @eaganwildcats is our top dawg, but I also think @bostonfred started rowing too?
Oh man if we spin off a rowing thread on top of the new CYDY one I'm going to have a hard time keeping up with all the topics.

I am digging the asensei app though - tonight is a 1000m test to set a baseline to improve upon over the next ~6 weeks. 

Awesome. I see a spin-off rowing thread brewing here..... obviously @eaganwildcats is our top dawg, but I also think @bostonfred started rowing too?
I was rowing at the gym and loved it. Would recommend to anyone. Not looking to drop 3k on a new concept2 but might get an entry level rower soon to expand my home setup. For now I'm doing daily yoga plus daily ~5k runs and add in some core, pushups and/or freeweight curls when I feel like it. My gym just reopened but I go to the gym because I want to live longer and using someone else's sweat covered machine while the person next to me wheezes through a tough workout sounds counterproductive to my goals. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I was rowing at the gym and loved it. Would recommend to anyone. Not looking to drop 3k on a new concept2 but might get an entry level rower soon to expand my home setup. For now I'm doing daily yoga plus daily ~5k runs and add in some core, pushups and/or freeweight curls when I feel like it. My gym just reopened but I go to the gym because I want to live longer and using someone else's sweat covered machine while the person next to me wheezes through a tough workout sounds counterproductive to my goals. 
Wow - I thought $3k sounded ridiculous so looked up the one I bought on amazon for $945 4 years ago. $3,500 - that's insane. 

My Concept2 was $945 in December off Amazon.  That is completely Nuts.  Must be a COVID thing - -gyms are closed and people must be frantically buying exercise equipment.... jeez...

My Concept2 was $945 in December off Amazon.  That is completely Nuts.  Must be a COVID thing - -gyms are closed and people must be frantically buying exercise equipment.... jeez...
Yea, people are trying to sell 5lb weights on FB marketplace for $100.  It's insane.

Day 25 of yoga with Adriene and I understand what the complaints were about. I love what she was trying to do by getting us thinking about how to build our own yoga practice, but it's a tough switch for people who are doing this specifically because we didn't know how. It's empowering, I guess, but the cynic in me also sees this as driving people to visit her site. That said, it was still a nice quick warm up, and instead of her suggestions like try your own crow's pose, I just went back and did that day 6 core day. I think the thing that makes it so hard for me is my legs are exhausted from running every day, so all the leg lifts suffer a little. Need to figure out a good rotation for core days and running days, but not today. Banged out 3.1 in 31 which is right between my 35 minute MAF and 26-27 race pace. Capping off a good day with a little port to go with a turkey sandwich and steamed vegetables. 

Day 25 of yoga with Adriene and I understand what the complaints were about. I love what she was trying to do by getting us thinking about how to build our own yoga practice, but it's a tough switch for people who are doing this specifically because we didn't know how. It's empowering, I guess, but the cynic in me also sees this as driving people to visit her site. That said, it was still a nice quick warm up, and instead of her suggestions like try your own crow's pose, I just went back and did that day 6 core day. I think the thing that makes it so hard for me is my legs are exhausted from running every day, so all the leg lifts suffer a little. Need to figure out a good rotation for core days and running days, but not today. Banged out 3.1 in 31 which is right between my 35 minute MAF and 26-27 race pace. Capping off a good day with a little port to go with a turkey sandwich and steamed vegetables. 
Killing it, as always. 

Fairly easy exercise day here - just the 1,000m row challenge. Wanted to break 3:30 but wasn’t in the cards. Good to have something to shoot for, though. 

Yoga always has that, “do your own variation” bit. It’s mostly there, because we all, can’t  do everything. My 2 goals with her challenge, are to finish it, on time.  And to maybe, just maybe, sit on my heels. The scar tissue in my left knee, with the surgery, makes that impossible. For now.  A lot of the poses, where she’s sitting on her feet...I’m siting on my ###, with my legs out in front of me  

Whenever it’s too easy, just ramp up the difficulty,  ie:  in all the early ab stuff, I push it to the hardest place, automatically  full boat is no joke.  

One of the cool things about yoga, Is that I’m  already learning new things.  never done 3 legged dog and made circles with my raised leg.  It was hard  

Do the yoga. Even when you’re tired. 

• Smile
You can still buy direct from concept2.com for $950, but there’S an 8-10 week waitlist.  I put my name on it around the 4th and get a weekly email update with likely order date (currently September 7th for me).  

got in five miles this morning and have eaten a cup of honey nut cheerios and half a cup of fat free milk lunch will be an apple and peanut butter and then i will get in biking this afternoon back on the wagon and feelin good about it after a few lousy days of eating and drinking out in the woods take that to the bank bromigos 

Delicate question...  does anyone else struggle to get their needed amount of fiber and then consequently have the problems that result from that?

MFP recommends 35g of fiber for me a day.  I get around 20 or so, unless I'm trying really hard to get more.  

I don't eat much bread at all because my wife is gluten free, so I guess I just need to increase my veg/fruit intake.  

• Smile
... my main goal is to avoid highly processed foods.
This works because "processed" tends to be code for removing fiber and water while adding sugar, flour, oil, and salt. That is to say, it's removing precisely the stuff that makes food filling while adding empty calories designed to increase palatability -- all of which induces overeating. (Food manufacturers hire smart food scientists to figure out how to get you to eat more of their stuff, and, well, that's how.)

Michael Pollan's advice is brilliant in its simplicity: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

I'm a bit more long-winded, but I can still fit my advice on a postcard:

1. Eat more fruits and vegetables.

2. Eat less fried food and dessert.

3. Don't be a weirdo about it.

Now that I think about it, though, "Minimize processed foods" might beat out Pollan for the most parsimonious dietary advice. It really need not be more complicated than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, WTF is up with this rowing trend?  I have a bunch of Facebook friends who are suddenly all about it, and I see it mentioned in here a bunch too.
Its a great home exercise. It's cardio but it's also a full body workout, and a good rower is cheaper than a good treadmill. I'm probably going to buy one eventually and alternate with my running.
I can't imagine using a treadmill instead of a sidewalk, a peloton instead of a bicycle, a stairmaster instead of stairs, or a rowing machine instead of a kayak.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of those things. The best exercise is the one you'll actually do, so if you like treadmills, please use a treadmill. It doesn't sound fun to me, but everyone's different.

It occurs to me, though, that this one exercise that I do as a staple -- an exercise that seems so natural and obvious that it should definitely have a name, but as far as I can tell by googling, it doesn't -- is basically a natural version of rowing. I'm not talking about kayaking. I'm talking about this thing I do at home.

Rowing is a lower-body push coordinated with an upper-body pull. That makes it about as much of a full-body exercise as there is.

The natural version of rowing I do was born of my own limitations: I lack the strength to do real pull-ups. So I do a version of assisted pull-ups, but instead of using a big rubber band for assistance, I use my legs.

I drape a rope over a pull-up bar and grab it with both hands at about shoulder height (and about shoulders' width apart). While holding onto the rope, I do bodyweight squats down to where my butt touches my heels and my arms are fully extended, then pull myself back up to a standing position. You can think of it as a bodyweight squat assisted by a pull-up, or you can think of it as a pull-up assisted by a squat. Either way, it's a lower-body push coordinated with an upper-body pull done for reps, just like rowing.

I honestly think it's weird that it's not common enough to already have a name.

I can't imagine using a treadmill instead of a sidewalk, a peloton instead of a bicycle, a stairmaster instead of stairs, or a rowing machine instead of a kayak.

I'm not trying to talking anyone out of those things. The best exercise is the one you'll actually do, so if you like treadmills, please use a treadmill. It doesn't sound fun to me, but everyone's different.
I agree with you, but to be fair there is a difference between kayaking and rowing.  Kayaking doesn't involve any real lower body component.  I have never understood treadmills or the peloton craze.  Getting outdoors and doing these activities is so much more interesting.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of those things. The best exercise is the one you'll actually do, so if you like treadmills, please use a treadmill. It doesn't sound fun to me, but everyone's different.

It occurs to me, though, that this one exercise that I do as a staple -- an exercise that seems so natural and obvious that it should definitely have a name, but as far as I can tell by googling, it doesn't -- is basically a natural version of rowing. I'm not talking about kayaking. I'm talking about this thing I do at home.

Rowing is a lower-body push coordinated with an upper-body pull. That makes it about as much of a full-body exercise as there is.

The natural version of rowing I do was born of my own limitations: I lack the strength to do real pull-ups. So I do a version of assisted pull-ups, but instead of using a big rubber band for assistance, I use my legs.

I drape a rope over a pull-up bar and grab it with both hands at about shoulder height (and about shoulders' width apart). While holding onto the rope, I do bodyweight squats down to where my butt touches my heels and my arms are fully extended, then pull myself back up to a standing position. You can think of it as a bodyweight squat assisted by a pull-up, or you can think of it as a pull-up assisted by a squat. Either way, it's a lower-body push coordinated with an upper-body pull done for reps, just like rowing.

I honestly think it's weird that it's not common enough to already have a name.
Regarding treadmill, I love running in a cool room with a fan on and being home in case there's a problem and not having to worry about going 3 miles away and getting hurt or being too tired to run back. And I like watching TV while I run. It's about the only TV I watch these days. And I dont get sunblock in my eyes, worry about getting sunburnt, worry about having to go to the bathroom or get water. The treadmill is much better for me. But I get why it's not for everyone.

I love that idea for pull ups. That's the biggest thing missing from my routine- I don't have pulling exercises. I think we'll call them mauriles except we'll pronounce it more eels so I don't end up saying weird stuff like man I am exhausted but I'll do one maurile that's it. 

Yoga and a run. Did a mile at mph and an half mile at 7.5 but did the rest of my time just walking. Sort of a rest day.

Breakfast- coffee with creamer and sugar

Lunch bowl of chili

Dinner put two low carb fajita tortillas on a plate and split a store bought chicken caesar salad evenly onto them. Side of sweet potato fries. 

Snack one of my kid's chicken fingers and a little port before bed

Stayed under calories, dinner felt like a cheat meal but wasn't, easy day.

It's a never-ending battle between how hard I think I can work without injuring myself and how hard I can actually work without hurting myself. How do I keep losing a fight with myself, every morning? I may have to shorten the walk if I can't learn to back off the throttle just a little.

It's a never-ending battle between how hard I think I can work without injuring myself and how hard I can actually work without hurting myself. How do I keep losing a fight with myself, every morning? I may have to shorten the walk if I can't learn to back off the throttle just a little.
Stretch.  Do yoga or at least stretching to get more limber.  I've learned as I've gotten into my forties that stretching before and after along with general yoga or increased flexibility is the key to staying healthy.  

• Smile
Have you considered biking?  Your joints will thank you.   

Recovery days, my man. And by recovery i don't mean rest. I mean if you stretch out the workout (either quality or quantity) on Thursday then do less Friday (maybe Saturday too). Then Sunday try to beat Thursday. You can't always be ascending day-to-day. Pick a couple days per week to try to one-up your peak of the prior week. The rest of the days are glue days, designed to get your body ready for the next priority day.

Have you considered biking?  Your joints will thank you.   
I think I’m going to start biking again.  I tried running for a while as I was preparing for a 10 mile run.  The run got cancelled and I started dealing with knee pains so I stopped.  Now I exclusively work out in my basement but still looking for a good outdoor exercise on weekends.  I used to bike when I lived in Philly because there were tons of great trails and bike paths.  Since moving to the suburbs, I quit.  

Can you split it into two shorter walks? 

Maybe stop checking your pace? 

You aren't training for a race you're getting exercise.

Also if you want to join me in doing yoga with Adriene I'm about done with the first 30 days and would be happy to start 30 more with you if it would help with accountability.

• Smile
Agreed. I battle knee pain when I run, but no matter how far I ride the bike I have absolutely zero pain in the joints. 
Christ, I get knee pain when I simply go for a 30 minute hike with my dogs.   Between my knee, shins and multiple compressed discs in my back, I'd be a hot mess if I was still running.   Only issue I have biking is some minor hand numbness that's mitigated by regular changes in hand position. 

• Smile
Christ, I get knee pain when I simply go for a 30 minute hike with my dogs.   Between my knee, shins and multiple compressed discs in my back, I'd be a hot mess if I was still running.   Only issue I have biking is some minor hand numbness that's mitigated by regular changes in hand position. 
Hmmm. It’s usually my junk that goes numb. 

• Smile
brohan i think you and i are a lot alike with this i have to stretch out really well before i walk this morning i only streched out so so and i fought my right leg the whole way maybe give yourself 10 minutes of legit leg stretches before you get rollin take that to the bank brochacho 

ok so yesterday i ate great and did 5 walking in the am and 21 on my bike in the evening and today i did a little over 5 walking and ill get on the bike again this afternoon like i said though my right leg is feeling it right now so i guess its sort of like there aint never been a bull that couldnt be rode but there aint never been a cowboy who could be throwed so i am just keepin at it take that to the bank bromigos 

I used to get hand numbness and using a percussion massager (hypervolt hyperice, theragun, etc) on my forearm and really from my shoulder down helped a lot. I was waking up in the middle of the night holding my arm straight up because my wrist and hand were numb. No issues now. 

Also there's a bunch of wrist strengthening and stretching covered here

https://youtu.be/NxC4LhOrMFw

https://youtu.be/RGEWpPHu69A

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any other diet or exercise program.

I used to get hand numbness and using a percussion massager (hypervolt hyperice, theragun, etc) on my forearm and really from my shoulder down helped a lot. I was waking up in the middle of the night holding my arm straight up because my wrist and hand were numb. No issues now. 

Also there's a bunch of wrist strengthening and stretching covered here

https://youtu.be/NxC4LhOrMFw

https://youtu.be/RGEWpPHu69A

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any other diet or exercise program.
Just banged out the 1st video.   I really need to get back into yoga.   Overall my health is very good, but yoga just takes how I feel physically to another level.   Its the #1 thing I'd recommend anyone should do.   I do intend to see a doctor though this fall.  I get a lot of thumb joint (basal) pain and weakness when playing the guitar or painting around the house so if I need to go under the knife, I'd like to do it in the winter during my biking off season.   

Day off from running, kept my calories lower than normal because I'm taking a rest day from running, but did day 27 of yoga with Adriene and a bunch of planks and pushups on my own. About to zoom happy hour with some old drinking friends so I expect to end up over my goal but hoping to stay under maintenance calories for the day.

bostonfred said:
Day off from running, kept my calories lower than normal because I'm taking a rest day from running, but did day 27 of yoga with Adriene and a bunch of planks and pushups on my own. About to zoom happy hour with some old drinking friends so I expect to end up over my goal but hoping to stay under maintenance calories for the day.
Kept it within reason and glad I did

Drinking some water and going to bed

Users who are viewing this thread