What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (1 Viewer)

Damn.  Dude ####ed up.  If only he dug into his reserves sooner.  So upsetting to see him have to go like that.  He's gonna be regretting his strategy for a long time.  His little speech about feeling something lacking at home but feeling more complete out there alone in the wild was sad.  Really bummed for him. 

Such a great show. These guys are a bit nuts but complete badasses. The are getting better and better competitors each season.

Damn.  Dude ####ed up.  If only he dug into his reserves sooner.  So upsetting to see him have to go like that.  He's gonna be regretting his strategy for a long time.  His little speech about feeling something lacking at home but feeling more complete out there alone in the wild was sad.  Really bummed for him. 
No kidding, what did he have, 30+ filets stored there? I get what he was going for, he had to imagine that 70ish days would win it for him based on previous seasons, but crazy.  When he started getting woozy and falling, he should have dug into those filets.  At least enough to get his strength back to string his bow. 

I still think Fowler is going to win, even with the last episode.

I am pulling for Fowler because I love his craftsmanship but I have a feeling one of the girls (probably the Alaskan chick) is going to win it.

Fowler is really starting to miss his family and is struggling finding food. I hope I am wrong but that's the way I see it crumbling.

Sucks that someone won because the other was forced out. 
This was the first season my daughter and wife watched and I explained how the other years it was people "tapping out" that created the winner...

Two people, who had legitimate chances to win, forced out due to one's lack of eating when he had food and the other just not able to get food.
Fowler himself was days away from being forced out.

To bad Megan broke her tooth otherwise I think, based on the fact she was eating the most, would have won.

I think the one guy's idea of creating a "Live well" will be used by more in the following seasons... With all the creations done by people I'm surprised someone didn't create a Crib/Live Well in the lake to keep fish in when they were catching them.

Onto next season :popcorn:

I just finished season 2 reunion show, I'm happy for David. Now that I know the black guy was charged by a bear, I'll cut him some slack for tapping on day 1.

Does Nicole qualify as an oddly attractive woman?

Season 4 starts in June can't wait love this show.Looks like they may be changing things up some.

https://www.facebook.com/Alone/videos/1711434405820623/
Teams? 
:mellow:

Maybe it will be something like couples?? That would at least hold the "Alone" phase and would lead to some interesting drama...

But if they just team up strangers, well, don't they already have "Naked and Afraid".. What will this be "Not Naked and afraid"? 

Not sure I like the idea of them changing the format of the show. I guess as long as they are still out in the wilderness somewhere and the producers are staying out of it and the teams are still recording themselves I guess it could lead to some interesting situations.Just don't want it to turn into Survivor.Don't get me wrong I like Survivor but for a whole different reason.

So, I wonder if one person taps out if the team is then done? I sure hope they arent simply looking to add drama. I dont watch alone for that type of drama. 

Will have to see how it goes. But the Facebook comment is right that they show does get pretty boring when it just turns into "who can starve longest". 
I disagree (but then again Im a reality/survival show junkie). I think the fact that there's no pre-determined end-date is what makes this show interesting. I stopped watching Naked and Afraid because of this very reason. It became, "who can sit around and do absolutely nothing so they can survive 21 days without food". It was boring and tortuous. Alone contestants don't have the luxury of sitting around and waiting for the show to end. 

Having said that, I think its ridiculous to have teams. Being ALONE is whole premise of the show.  :loco:

New season starts June 15th.Teams being dropped miles apart should add a little drama still not sure I like the team concept.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/about
have to say that with the new  information I'm more intrigued then I was before when I thought it was "Teams"..

7 pairs of family members travel to Northern Vancouver Island, a remote and rugged region of British Columbia known as the “Wet Coast”. Each duo will be separated from their loved one and dropped miles apart with 2 ultimate goals; navigate the brutally thick wilderness in an attempt to locate their family member and survive as long as they can, completely isolated and alone. The participants will only have the contents of their small backpacks, enough camera gear to record their experience and 10 tools split between them. Once reunited, each team must create their own shelters, pull food from the ocean, overcome harsh terrain, bitter cold, drenching downpours, contend with a host of deadly predators and each other. They will truly be on their own. No camera crew. No gimmicks. Last team standing wins.
so, although they are in "Teams".. They are not dropped together in Teams, so have to survive "Alone" long enough to try and find their Team member.. wonder if they are given "Your family member is 5 miles to the NW, or something along those lines??   :popcorn:

so, although they are in "Teams".. They are not dropped together in Teams, so have to survive "Alone" long enough to try and find their Team member.. wonder if they are given "Your family member is 5 miles to the NW, or something along those lines??   :popcorn:
Was just wondering this as well.  Miles apart w/ no idea of direction in the wilderness could be an issue.

3 hours .. TAP!  :shock:   

Was hesitant on "Alone" becoming "Alone Teams" but dropping them 10 miles apart with only a bearing is interesting so far.

Man, the team member who draws the short straw and has to hike 10 miles through that #### really gets screwed. If I'm that guy, my partner at the other end better have a bad-### shelter, fire, a supply of fish, and a blow job ready. 

Man, the team member who draws the short straw and has to hike 10 miles through that #### really gets screwed. If I'm that guy, my partner at the other end better have a bad-### shelter, fire, a supply of fish, and a blow job ready. 
And yet, in both instances, its been the person at the end that has tapped.  :loco:

Did I read correctly that all the gear the teams got to bring was split between the two people? So they only had one fire starter, ax..... When one person quits they shouldn't tell the other person.  See how long they can go with only their half of the stuff, and never knowing what happened to their partner, or in the case of the two hikers so far, see if they would just hike forever or eventually say F it and just set up their own camp somewhere.

What has surprised me is the two that have quit were the ones setting up the campsite. As rough as that hike looks, I would think they would be the one's that would throw in the towel.

If the one dude continues to have that type of luck with the fish net, wow!

After this week when the 2nd team checked out my first thought was "at this rate the winner will be announced after 7 days :shock:

So far the new twist is working.. Guess we shall since once teams join up.

They didn't do a great job of selecting contestants based on the first two drops.  Really needed 10 teams, but I imagine they are stretching the show's resources thin tracking 14 people as it is.

So do you think it will be easier or harder for a team of two after some of these teams hook up?  Obviously it will be easier to pass time as a pair and one can gather wood while the other hunts, but double the food in a limited area might be tough.

They didn't do a great job of selecting contestants based on the first two drops.  Really needed 10 teams, but I imagine they are stretching the show's resources thin tracking 14 people as it is.

So do you think it will be easier or harder for a team of two after some of these teams hook up?  Obviously it will be easier to pass time as a pair and one can gather wood while the other hunts, but double the food in a limited area might be tough.
For some it will be an advantage... But you dam well better get along as you have no one else to break the tension. One small argument could become a war and one saying ENOUGH :angry: and tapping out.

I don't mind this change for one season as much as I thought I would. But do think they need to go back to "Alone" next season.

I think it's a great advantage to the husband/wife team. They already have longevity in their relationship, so they know everything about each other already. Not ready to proclaim them my pick but they are leading the pack early on for me.

way underestimated how difficult that 10 mile hike would be, and it looks like most of the contestants did too.  Brutal terrain, plus rain almost every day.

I think it's a great advantage to the husband/wife team. They already have longevity in their relationship, so they know everything about each other already. Not ready to proclaim them my pick but they are leading the pack early on for me.
And they brought soap. So they can do it. That's a huge advantage. 

They decide as a team who hikes and who camps.

Wasn't sure that I liked the idea of teams, but it's going well so far (probably cause they are separated).  2 teams out already, yikes.

As another poster mentioned, that hike looks brutal,

When I was in scouts I went to Canoe Base, our group had 3 canoes.  The 3 of us in my canoe left early for the next camp for some reason.  The other 2 canoes were going to leave an hour later.  Well we reached camp, an hour passed, 2 hours, 3 hours....  Like 5 hours later the other two canoes showed up.  During a portage between lakes the scout leader was using the white arrow to read his compass.  So a short portage turned into a few miles only to reach the wrong lake and have to back track.

Every time they show a hiker looking at his compass saying "I have only been given this heading..." I am waiting for the map graphic to show up saying that he is now 14 miles away instead of 10 miles due to reading is compass wrong.

Wasn't sure that I liked the idea of teams, but it's going well so far (probably cause they are separated).  2 teams out already, yikes.

As another poster mentioned, that hike looks brutal,
Funny part is, on the two teams out, neither quitter was the hiker.  

Really disappointed that two have already tapped out...  but I guess that's the twist w/ teams.

I picked the husband and wife in the preview show.  I'm sticking w/ my pick.  

Funny part is, on the two teams out, neither quitter was the hiker.  
I know.  Crazy.  The one guy twisting his ankle or knee sucks.  Would be hard to keep going with that kind of injury, but the other guy just gave up.  

Users who are viewing this thread