What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (4 Viewers)

that's kinda my point. If that was a hands to the face foul then disallow the goal and hand out a card. If not, then carry on. these half measures are BS.
Thought for sure he was about to give a yellow and send him off - Sein probably stopped the match after he called it off and has written a couple thousand words about how the ref got it right.

Explain to me how you can wave off a goal for contact to the face and not give a card?
I think the short answer - yellow cards are not reviewable.

Fouls in the build up to a goal are reviewable - which is what happened there.  Foul called, goal disallowed.

Had it been a blatant elbow to the face - that could have been reviewed for a red card (but not a yellow card).

Thought for sure he was about to give a yellow and send him off - Sein probably stopped the match after he called it off and has written a couple thousand words about how the ref got it right.
The ref did get it right.  It was accidental, but for certain its a foul.

The more egregious decision came earlier in the day - Burnley defender kicked Newcastle player in the head - went to VAR, decided no pen.

Never in any game was that a foul on McT. Son grabs him and he goes to push him off and inadvertantly hits him in the face.  Happens all the time with no call.  And Son even milked it by grabbing the other side of his face and rolling for 5 mins.  Followed by Son stepping on rashford's foot then flopping for a foul to deny United a corner.

And no you can't show a yellow in that, its only reviewable for a red.  

Great job to overcome the 12 man Tottenham to take the win.

Huge win.

And bmav bat signal...lingard- all he does is score and win games :legend:
I am happy for Lingard.  I really am.  He is now in a team that fits him and he should stay there (Sounds like both WHU and Arsenal may be interested in signing him).

I've seen some great analysis of why he is doing well at WHU.  The biggest thing is that no one packs it in vs WHU.  Its an open game and usually free flowing.  Lingard is good in space but isn't going to break down a team for you.  His goal the other day (not yesterday) was more about defenders letting him dribble from mf into the box and everyone acting like pylons.  It was nothing special but he scored.  He isn't facing low blocks with everyone asking him to make a cutting edge pass and open a Def.

The second thing is a classic case of needing a change of scenery.  His family life has had issues and it was wearing on him.  The pressure of that and not performing for his boyhood club, seemingly got too heavy and they just built on themselves and he was a shell.  No fun, no love of the game, not a first choice....  Move to WHU, Moyes shows some love, he is put in a position to succeed, new scenery... Its working for him.  

And it helps United when he beats Leicester, and increases his value for a summer sale!

El Floppo said:
Remember when hand to face was auto-red? At least if it was the US playing cocacaf games.
I think my biggest problem is the ref had a perfect view of it - he was content that it didn't warrant a foul.  And it only was a foul because VAR told him to look and Son went down like he was shot by a sniper.  Rashford and Fernandez did the same during the game - I think a decent amount of the obvious flopping and embellishment has been taken out of the game (at least in most of European leagues I watch) but it's still annoying.  These guys are still trying to influence the ref and when incidents like this one work for Son there's no incentive to stop it.

I think my biggest problem is the ref had a perfect view of it - he was content that it didn't warrant a foul.  And it only was a foul because VAR told him to look and Son went down like he was shot by a sniper.  Rashford and Fernandez did the same during the game - I think a decent amount of the obvious flopping and embellishment has been taken out of the game (at least in most of European leagues I watch) but it's still annoying.  These guys are still trying to influence the ref and when incidents like this one work for Son there's no incentive to stop it.
:shrug:   It was a foul.  It was not intentional - but you can't hit someone in the face with your hands, even accidentally. 

Next thing you are going do is try and argue that Martial did not slug Lamela in the face in the first meeting.

:shrug:

I don't know what the rule is any more. Is it still supposed to be auto red, or did that get shelved?

but it was clearly hand to face, even if the contact didn't warrant the histrionics. I feel like the acting is still hugely prevalent in all the leagues...they feel contact, they go down and writhe a bit, holding leg, face whatever. 

:shrug:   It was a foul.  It was not intentional - but you can't hit someone in the face with your hands, even accidentally. 

Next thing you are going do is try and argue that Martial did not slug Lamela in the face in the first meeting.
I never said it wasn't a foul - but most of us that love the game and want to see succeed watch that and think "WTF?"  - Son fouled him before the accidental hit to the face.  Maybe it should have been a free kick for United?

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug:

I don't know what the rule is any more. Is it still supposed to be auto red, or did that get shelved?

but it was clearly hand to face, even if the contact didn't warrant the histrionics. I feel like the acting is still hugely prevalent in all the leagues...they feel contact, they go down and writhe a bit, holding leg, face whatever. 
I don't feel it's prevalent but it is definitely still around.  I'm not even sure exactly how you get it out of the game.  I'd be fine with some post match review that looks at plays like that and gives Son a "warning" or something - those accumulate and once you get X number you get a one match ban (or something).  I'm fine if that happens to Fernandez or Martial - stop doing it.

I think Sein if right though - it wasn't red card situation so they couldn't review for a yellow.

Slug? Cmon man, that was a light tap on his check and Lamela threw himself on the floor.   We can disagree about McT on Son, but you can't honestly believe this one.

Everton just don't want to take that step.  I thought they would be better under Ancelotti, but I guess not.  Beat Brighton and they'd be 7th, win their game in hand and they'd jump to 6th right between Chelsea and Liverpool.  Nope, a 0-0 draw....

What is Everton missing?

Everton just don't want to take that step.  I thought they would be better under Ancelotti, but I guess not.  Beat Brighton and they'd be 7th, win their game in hand and they'd jump to 6th right between Chelsea and Liverpool.  Nope, a 0-0 draw....

What is Everton missing?
imo they need at least one ELITE signing. They have a bunch of middle of the road, or closer to the top end players, but nobody on that team is elite. Also, I really like Carlo, but does he develop players well? Can he take a middle tier guy and make him upper tier? Not sure

imo they need at least one ELITE signing. They have a bunch of middle of the road, or closer to the top end players, but nobody on that team is elite. Also, I really like Carlo, but does he develop players well? Can he take a middle tier guy and make him upper tier? Not sure
Good question.  I've liked their signings the last few years.  I guess Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin aren't the top end players they hoped to be?  Or James Rodriguez isn't as good as he looked to start?

If they have the opp to sign one elite player, what position do they go after?  Who's their Bruno? (and whether you like Bruno or not, what he's done for United can't be discounted)

Good question.  I've liked their signings the last few years.  I guess Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin aren't the top end players they hoped to be?  Or James Rodriguez isn't as good as he looked to start?

If they have the opp to sign one elite player, what position do they go after?  Who's their Bruno? (and whether you like Bruno or not, what he's done for United can't be discounted)
Everton is 80% of the way to really challenging.  This season they've been wrecked by injuries though.  They've been as injured as Liverpool has, without the bench quality that Liverpool has.

They are missing pieces if they wish to make a run(given their ownership I'm guessing they do).  They need another winger opposite Richarlison, so they can put James at the 10.  They need a RB desperately.  They've been starting people out of position there all year long.  A deep lying player maker or a box to box CM that can transition the play from defense to offense is where they really lack.  I don't think Everton has the name, nor the position to attract a top winger or CM this summer, especially if they miss European football, but that's where they could really strengthen the squad.

Unbelievable negligence by my team here at work.  While I was out on vacation last week, my colleagues scheduled a major client zoom meeting today during the second leg CL games.  I'm stunned, furious, lashing out at underlings and innocent staff members, but all to no avail.  I am leading the hour + meeting, so its going to be very hard to pull of the well-known *minimize-the-Zoom-window-and-watch-the-game-during-a-meeting* trick.

The Bayern PSG second leg should be a fantastic game.  Massive pressure on Pochettino today playing at home with a one goal aggregate lead and 3 away goals.

Bayern's starting 11:
Neuer, Pavard, Kimmich, Sane, Choupo-Moting, Boateng, Davies, Hernandez, Müller, Alaba, Coman.

Doable, but an uphill battle.

Users who are viewing this thread