What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (9 Viewers)

Opening night for USL defending co-champ Phoenix Rising, LIVE on ESPN 2. That’s big time, fellas! What else are you doing at 10pm Eastern on a Friday night? Nothing, that’s what. Grab a cold one and watch some second tier US soccer, brohans.

Stan Collymore @StanCollymore · 8m

BREAKING Premier League discussing at "executive level" what to do with this game.

Tonight, tomorrow and "haven't a ####### clue" all on the table. Masters personally now involved with both clubs.

6:30pm not happening. Confirmed.

I promise this isn’t a political comment - but this is just another example why I doubt I would ever go to any kind of protest.  There’s just too many morons that will go too far and take the focus off the protest and on to them.  

I promise this isn’t a political comment - but this is just another example why I doubt I would ever go to any kind of protest.  There’s just too many morons that will go too far and take the focus off the protest and on to them.  
Even moreso in the age of social media. 

Every one of those yabos breaching the stadium had their phones out filming. 

Even back in my college days though, I remember hitting the streets when the first gulf war started...after a few blocks, every person or group with a grudge had joined in, trying to make it about "anarchists for Neds sisters potato salad's rights" or whatever instead of about the war.

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Just to be clear for the thousandth time as I woke up to all this stuff sent my way on social media... my family is from Brooklyn, NOT Tampa, we do NOT own Man U. We can’t sell bc WE DON’T OWN IT!! You can’t be that good a fan of them if you think an NFL Insider owns your team

Last edited by a moderator:
BREAKING:

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Ahhhh #### it... after much consideration and many talks with my family (none) and due to the fact that the business is just getting in the way of my day-drinking I have, in fact, decided to sell my stake in Manchester United... this decision did not come easy

That would make more sense, although I’m not sure that’s really fair to the players.  Their security should be reviewed and maybe fines or as you say, point deduction 
I think the better move is to force United behind closed doors - certainly the last couple of weeks this year (where I think they are still going to allow fans).  But, then maybe extend it 1-2 games into next season.

What, exactly, is the poor treatment of the fans?

I do think they could point to the super league stuff but I’ve always gotten the impression they just don’t like the Glazers (American bias?) and they wanted Woodward out.
Fans do not believe the Glazers have the best interest of the club in mind.  There are a few good threads on twitter about it but a lot of it comes down to how much money they have taken out of the club.  Only ownership group to take dividends out, spend more money on themselves and paying the debt then into the team.  (they go back to the fee received from Ronaldo to RM and how much was put back from their).  Years they claim the money isnt in the budget to invest in players coincides with payouts to the owners...

2 billion pounds paid out to the owners while teams like City have put 2b into the club.

Keep in mind the Glazers have never been popular there, they don't go to games, don't meet with the supporters trust or give them a voice.  Things that are normal in English clubs.  The peaceful protests since the Glazers bought have not done a thing, add in the super league deal and here we are.

Meh. Spoiled brats IMO. 

United still have one of the top net spends in the league and among the top wages in the league. 

What, exactly, is the poor treatment of the fans?
There are many posts around outlining it, and I can't say I'm an expert on the topic but, some examples of mismanagement:

• Glazers bought the club with a loan
  • Transferred the debt of the loan to the club
  • Have put £0 of their own money into the club
  • All transfers have come from club revenue
  • They have taken 2 billion from the club
  • They've raised season tickets prices, and people can no longer afford to go
  • They have not invested in the stadium, and it is outdated and in disrepair
  • No, or very limited investment in the youth system, once the best in the country
  • No fan representation in the club
  • ESL
These are just a few items.

Some more: https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/now-is-the-time-for-change-why-man-utd-fans-anti-glazer/jticfqx6vh1m110wbgwg87odc

There are many posts around outlining it, and I can't say I'm an expert on the topic but, some examples of mismanagement:

• Glazers bought the club with a loan
  • Transferred the debt of the loan to the club
  • Have put £0 of their own money into the club
  • All transfers have come from club revenue
  • They have taken 2 billion from the club
  • They've raised season tickets prices, and people can no longer afford to go
  • They have not invested in the stadium, and it is outdated and in disrepair
  • No, or very limited investment in the youth system, once the best in the country
  • No fan representation in the club
  • ESL
These are just a few items.

Some more: https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/now-is-the-time-for-change-why-man-utd-fans-anti-glazer/jticfqx6vh1m110wbgwg87odc
None of that strikes me as "mismanagement"

Leveraged buyouts happen all the time.

Owners are not required to continue to sink their own money into the club - that is actually a sign of mismanagement.

What club has fan representation - I mean real representation?  Spurs have a Supporters Trust that get an annual meeting with the club to raise issues - but there is no actual influence.

Every team is raising ticket prices.  Spurs are the most expensive in the league - and you don't get top quality in return.

ESL - had that gone through without United - fans would be livid at being left out.

Again - this just reeks of spoiled brats.  United remain one of the top teams in the league/europe.  They spend commensurate with that position.  Only team that has a higher net-spend is Man City - and they both dwarf most other clubs.

Owners are not required to continue to sink their own money into the club - that is actually a sign of mismanagement.

What club has fan representation - I mean real representation?  Spurs have a Supporters Trust that get an annual meeting with the club to raise issues - but there is no actual influence.

Every team is raising ticket prices.  Spurs are the most expensive in the league - and you don't get top quality in return.

ESL - had that gone through without United - fans would be livid at being left out.

Again - this just reeks of spoiled brats.  United remain one of the top teams in the league/europe.  They spend commensurate with that position.  Only team that has a higher net-spend is Man City - and they both dwarf most other clubs.
Honestly I don't care about ManUtd enough to argue, just trying to convey what I have read. These are not my opinions.

The only one that i feel is a real gripe is the stadium issues, but it certainly sounds like they'd be homeless for at least 2 years to expand/upgrade.  I'm sure that would go over equally as well.  

In the corporate yes, in football when the goal is on the field product and winning trophies, no. I am not saying you are wrong, just giving background.  And I understand most teams have Supporters Trust groups that meet with the team.  Whether they listen or not is debatable, but at least they can feel heard.  Not sure the Glazers make them feel heard.

United went from a team with relatively little debt, to one carrying a heavy burden of debt.  Every time they have a chance to invest in the team and push for titles, the owners say there isn't any available money, then go and take dividends and pay themselves.  Only team to take dividends out.

Also, no football men in charge of football.  Bankers at the top, removal of "Football Club" from the crest (little thing but shows the direction they want to take).

This thread highlights the mismanagement and talks about the series of events of how United fell behind City, starting in 2008 through the end of SAF in 2013: Twitter Thread

08 - United win CL, Abu Dhabi Group buys City.  Also shows some of the spending by the early Glazers team.

Maybe they are spoiled brats.  You when have a team built on and for the fans that has been made corporate and about money for the owners in the Glazer era, where the fans feel ignored, this boils over.  Its been coming with protests happening since the start.  Add in the ESL debacle and its no wonder this got ugly.

Wow, PSG going full PSG now.  What an amazing self destruction in each of the two legs.  

Tell me again why Poch > Tuechel?

Am I the only one that often wonders when did Man City sign Dave Chappelle to play DM every time I see Fernandinho?

Users who are viewing this thread