What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (5 Viewers)

OMG, that's one of the most dramatic, unexpected ends to a game I've ever seen.  With so much on the line too.  I'm stunned.

They just said it's the 6th goal scored by a GK in the last 30 years (EPL) and the first by a Liverpool GK in the history of the club (1892).
Two of those other 5 GK are USMNT guys.

OptaJoe @OptaJoe · 2m

71.5% - Liverpool now have a 71.5% chance of finishing in the Premier League top four this season, based on our predictor model.

Before Alisson's 95th minute goal, this chance was just 44%. Moment.

A magical 6-seconds:

94:12: Allison arrives in the West Brom penalty area.

94:17: Trent Alexander-Arnold takes the corner.

94:18: Allison thumps a header into the West Brom goal.

NewlyRetired said:
I love Wenger's suggestion.   

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-fifa-will-trial-arsene-wengers-new-offside-rules-20210305

While there will still be a need for VAR and close calls, this change at least gives a little advantage to the attacker, which is the first advantage given to the attacker since 1990 (30+ years ago with out an improvement), when offside was changed to make even onside.
:loco:
Those example pictures just make my brain cramp up.  I don't know that I could ever see that and think Onside.

Those example pictures just make my brain cramp up.  I don't know that I could ever see that and think Onside.
This is where the policy for them waiting on offside calls would actually come in handy.  The linesmen just need to get better at calling the obvious ones sooner and letting the questionable ones go.  Defenders would hate this change.  One idea I've though of is adding some lines similar to that picture @NewlyRetiredposted in I think the USMNT thread.  Have an offside line where as long as you aren't past it you can't be offside - similar to the halfway line now but just move it closer to the goal.

That's way too much of an advantage for the offensive player; it will make things worse IMO.

Just make it feet and save us from years of stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's way too much of an advantage for the offensive player; it will make things worse IMO.

Just make it feet and save us from years of stupidity.
It seems to me the Wenger proposal is just substituting one problem for another.  His solution may lead to more goals, but its just as subjective and perhaps even more difficult to enforce than the current rule.

For now, I'd be happy if the VAR twats would at least give some respect to the "clear and obvious error" standard.

It seems to me the Wenger proposal is just substituting one problem for another.  His solution may lead to more goals, but its just as subjective and perhaps even more difficult to enforce than the current rule.

For now, I'd be happy if the VAR twats would at least give some respect to the "clear and obvious error" standard.
Exactly.  VAR should overturn clear and obvious errors only.  Or hell, make it ONLY goal line technology to rule a goal in or out.  I hate VAR.  It's dumb.

Nat Phillips is ungainly as hell, but he's got a 6th sense about being in the right spot at the right time.  Thought that even before the two goal-line clearances and the goal.  He's just in the way and cutting balls out a lot.

This is setting up for a huge final week for some teams.

Top 4 go to CL
5th and FA Cup winner to Europa
6th could go to Europa (if FA Cup winner qualifies for CL/Europa another way) or Europa Conference League
7th to Europa Conf League if 6th goes to Europa

Chelsea 3rd, 67, +23 (at Villa)
Liverpool 4th, 66, +24 (v Palace) 
Leicester 5th, 66, +20 (v Spurs)

WHU 6th, 62, +11 (v SH)
Tottenham 7th, 59, +21 (at LCFC)
Everton 8th, 59, +4 (at City)
Arsenal 9th, 58, +14 (v BHA)
Leeds 10th, 56, +6 (v WBA)

Chelsea, Liverpool and LCFC all need to win, loser is out of CL. 
Leicester looks most likely with the hardest game and -4 gd behind LP
WHU needs a draw to secure Europa
Spurs, Everton need a WHU loss and they win to get 6th otherwise those two, Arsenal, Leeds all hoping to get 7th and Europa Conf League?

Is my math right?

LFC 91% to make CL; Chelsea 82%; Leicester 27%.

Liverpool just need to match Leicester - whatever the Foxes do, they only need to do the same.

Chelsea needs to match either Liverpool or Leicester.

After that, it's complicated.

Am I right that Tottenham does have European $$ on the line for next year with this game?  They aren't out of contention, right?  They have something to play for?

Am I right that Tottenham does have European $$ on the line for next year with this game?  They aren't out of contention, right?  They have something to play for?
Two things:

1. It will probably cost money to play in the Europa Conference League (i.e. expenses > than prize money)

2. Spurs have given up completely.  Aston Villa should have won today 4 or 5 to 1.

Leicester are going to put up a big number against Spurs next Sunday.

no EPL this morning but PSA that Brentford Bournemouth promotion playoff is on the + at 0730 eastern.

Swansea Barnsley at 1330.

Getting nervous about the Atleti game.  Kickoff in less than an hour.  Too bad Valladolid have something to play for.  They need a win and some help to stay up.  Atleti will be missing Savic due to suspension, and Lemar due to injury, but the lineup is solid and should be a class better than Valladolid across the board. Gotta score today though...

Getting nervous about the Atleti game.  Kickoff in less than an hour.  Too bad Valladolid have something to play for.  They need a win and some help to stay up.  Atleti will be missing Savic due to suspension, and Lemar due to injury, but the lineup is solid and should be a class better than Valladolid across the board. Gotta score today though...
The Pucela are just not a very good side. Hoping your boys don't screw this up!

Oh my.

Valladolid and Villareal take the lead over the Madrid clubs, at basically the same time.

Weirdly, I think Atletico's chances of winning the title have gone up.  Real need two and have to hope neither Atletico or Villareal score.

ETA:  this is right.  Odds before the game had Atletico winning the league 76% of the time.  Now it's just under 90%.

ETA:  at halftime it's exactly 90% for Atletico. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my.

Valladolid and Villareal take the lead over the Madrid clubs, at basically the same time.

Weirdly, I think Atletico's chances of winning the title have gone up.  Real need two and have to hope neither Atletico or Villareal score.

ETA:  this is right.  Odds before the game had Atletico winning the league 76% of the time.  Now it's just under 90%.

ETA:  at halftime it's exactly 90% for Atletico. 
Yeah - I started reading this and was going to make fun of you but then realized I was having trouble explaining it in my head :lmao:  

Users who are viewing this thread