What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (14 Viewers)

1. James Comey was registered Republican for most of his adult life and currently identifies as an independent, not a "fellow Democrat".

2. James Comey was a Republican when he was chosen to head the FBI.

3. by definition, Comey is nonpartisan.
That's the old way of thought.  Now if you're against Trump you are a "liberal" or a "democrat".  It doesn't matter if you hold the conservative (traditional sense of the word here) ideas around deficits.  You don't like that Trump is blowing them up?  You're a democrat/liberal.  It's all over these threads and being perpetuated by what used to be relatively normal posters who now appear to be off the rails.

I don't know.  Espionage?  I don't usually associate spycraft with gun rights advocacy and prayer breakfasts. 
You don't see the value in infiltrating bodies that offer significant exposure and access to a political party? I'm pretty confident I'm not interacting with anyone that would hand me a mic to ask a presidential candidate for his views on Russian sanctions.

Also, I'm curious on your angle that she's a lobbyist. For whom? A Russian agent has an interest in gun rights for Americans? 

If there's some inordinate crime against the US she committed that wouldn't have otherwise been permissible had she simply notified the AG of it,  that warrants being held in solitary confinement and having her life destroyed in Western media, as if Jeff Sessions was a reliable last line of defense against inappropriate lobbying in this country, I'd sure love to know what it was.  Just the latest casualty in order that people may continue holding on to a conspiracy theory.  

If there's some inordinate crime against the US she committed that wouldn't have otherwise been permissible had she simply notified the AG of it,  that warrants being held in solitary confinement and having her life destroyed in Western media, as if Jeff Sessions was a reliable last line of defense against inappropriate lobbying in this country, I'd sure love to know what it was.  Just the latest casualty in order that people may continue holding on to a conspiracy theory.  
:yawn:   

Back to IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY.
Ren is right though.  There is a conspiracy here.  Unfortunately, for him, Butina is the one that just plead guilty to a conspiracy :

The plea agreement states that Butina "agreed and conspired, with a Russian government official ('Russian Official') and at least one other person, for Butina to act in the United States under the direction of Russian Official without prior notification to the Attorney General," according to ABC and CNN.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/11/maria-butina-spy-plea-deal-conspiracy/2274643002/

Hate to be the wet blanket on a good rant, but she plead guilty to conspiracy :oldunsure:  

Even by the loosist of definitions it can't really be considered a theory in this context any longer. 

Ren is right though.  There is a conspiracy here.  Unfortunately, for him, Butina is the one that just plead guilty to a conspiracy :

The plea agreement states that Butina "agreed and conspired, with a Russian government official ('Russian Official') and at least one other person, for Butina to act in the United States under the direction of Russian Official without prior notification to the Attorney General," according to ABC and CNN.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/11/maria-butina-spy-plea-deal-conspiracy/2274643002/
A conspiracy to do what?  What did she actually do that was wrong?  

Remember when Republicans acted concerned about enforcing law and order?  Seems they only care about crimes if they are committed by minorities.

Defrauding US taxpayers of $400M+ would have toppled any other administration in the history of the country, but it just gets buried in an endless pile of scandals.  WTF qualifies as a crime to these people?  A former potential client of mine (who I chose not to work with because he seemed sketchy) is sitting in jail for 20 years after being convicted of wire fraud and money laundering.  The money involved in his case was in the low single digit millions.  Guys like Manafort are surely moving way bigger sums of money and dealing with shadier characters, but we're concerned about "ruining lives".  This from the guy who has built an empire on scamming people, whether it's high-end condo purchasers or lower-middle class folks thinking they are attending a university to learn about real estate.  Sickening.

A conspiracy to do what?  What did she actually do that was wrong?  
Ibolded it this time

Strange how suddenly people who supported "respect the rule of law" are now questioning how suspected criminals are treated.  I wonder if this concern has also been applied to the treatment of minorities or innocent immigrants trying to legally enter our country.

I don't think Butina was much more than a gun industry lobbyist.  Think it's kind of shameful the way she's been locked up in solitary confinement, accused of trading sex for power etc.  It's gross really.  There is no evidence to indicate she was working as a spy.  Seems like the extent of her crimes was not notifying the AG of her lobbying activities and being Russian.  
How do you know that?

I see where Ren is getting his idea that she's being tortured. Straight from Putin's mouth. 

Julia Davis‏ @JuliaDavisNews

FollowingFollowing @JuliaDavisNews

More

#Russia's state TV program argues that Maria Butina "has no plans to slander Moscow - or herself," but lays the groundwork for the worst case scenario by claiming that she is being tortured in U.S. custody.

:coffee:    
Eh, she's going back to Russia ultimately. It's a problem for her but also Putin. She can get the Anna Chapman treatment or get shoved into a suite at the Dzerzhinsky Bed & Breakfast.

Foreign migrants seeking asylum:  there is a process!  We have rules and laws that you must follow, stay away and jump through all the hoops from your country first!

Foreign unregistered lobbyist attempting and gaining influence within our electorate:  you know, I’m just glad you’ve taken an interest in our ways and are trying to make things more in line with whoever you’re assisting.  Good on you, can’t believe those nasty federal agents are getting all red tapey on you about this

VOTER FRAUD BY CRIMINALLY DISEASED ILLEGALS TAKING YOUR GUNS!!!

Federal prosecutors Tuesday called for a two-year prison term for a former senior Senate Intelligence Committee aide who lied to FBI agents about his contact with reporters during a federal leak investigation, even as the committee’s chairman and two top members backed his request for probation.

James A. Wolfe, 57, pleaded guilty in October to one count of lying about using encrypted messaging in October 2017 to tell a journalist identified in court filings only as “Reporter #3” about a subpoena issued by the committee. He also admitted lying about speaking with three other reporters.

In a plea deal, prosecutors dismissed two counts related to the other interactions, leaving Wolfe facing a possible range of zero to six months in prison at sentencing Dec. 20 before U.S. District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson in Washington.

In a 35-page sentencing recommendation, however, prosecutors with U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu of the District exercised their right to ask the judge for a tougher sentence, saying Wolfe, “caused significant disruption to a governmental function and significantly endangered the national security” by breaking the trust between the FBI and the oversight committee.

“All persons have an equal and absolute obligation to be truthful when making a statement in an FBI interview,” prosecutors Jocelyn Ballantine and Tejpal S. Chawla wrote. “Such persons — and particularly public officials such as Wolfe, who have a sworn duty to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States — must know that there are severe consequences for violating that duty.”
Huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see where Ren is getting his idea that she's being tortured. Straight from Putin's mouth. 

Julia Davis‏ @JuliaDavisNews

FollowingFollowing @JuliaDavisNews

More

#Russia's state TV program argues that Maria Butina "has no plans to slander Moscow - or herself," but lays the groundwork for the worst case scenario by claiming that she is being tortured in U.S. custody.

:coffee:    
https://ccrjustice.org/home/get-involved/tools-resources/fact-sheets-and-faqs/torture-use-solitary-confinement-us-prisons

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/02/solitary-confinement-isnt-punishment-its-torture

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/almost-addicted/201801/solitary-confinement-torture-pure-and-simple

https://www.theweek.com/articles/801168/solitary-confinement-torture

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/03/30/hellhole

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/solitary-confinement-is-torture-will-the-bureau-of-prisons-finally-stop-using-it/2017/07/15/f719de20-68c6-11e7-8eb5-cbccc2e7bfbf_story.html

https://www.insidescience.org/news/solitary-confinement-form-torture

Straight from putin's mouth, wow you've really cracked the case dude. 

I wish other people on this board would call out this bull####.  Ridiculous that this sort of smear tactic has been normalized now.  

Trump sympathizer sides with accused Russian spy, calls himself a "patriot".  Can't make this up.  That's how far Trump supporters have fallen.
For years big business Republicans have sold the culture war to recruit rubes into voting for them since there are not enough rich people to win elections. Now the rubes are all that are left, which also explains the low quality of the congressman, the people they conned into becoming true-believers are now the ones running for office. They don't actually know or believe anything, and can change their opinions on a dime depending on what they are told to believe. 

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/809069737879674888

I don't know who this guy is, but it has the graph I was trying to find. Republicans are now pro-Putin because they were told to be.

For years big business Republicans have sold the culture war to recruit rubes into voting for them since there are not enough rich people to win elections. Now the rubes are all that are left. They don't actually know or believe anything, and can change their opinions on a dime depending on what they are told to believe. 

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/809069737879674888

I don't know who this guy is, but it has the graph I was trying to find. Republicans are now pro-Putin because they were told to be.
Reagan's rolling in his grave.  The GOP is in bed with a Soviet hard-liner and alleged Russian spies are worthy of sympathy.  But they're patriots and love America! 

Federal prosecutors Tuesday called for a two-year prison term for a former senior Senate Intelligence Committee aide who lied to FBI agents about his contact with reporters during a federal leak investigation, even as the committee’s chairman and two top members backed his request for probation.

James A. Wolfe, 57, pleaded guilty in October to one count of lying about using encrypted messaging in October 2017 to tell a journalist identified in court filings only as “Reporter #3” about a subpoena issued by the committee. He also admitted lying about speaking with three other reporters.

In a plea deal, prosecutors dismissed two counts related to the other interactions, leaving Wolfe facing a possible range of zero to six months in prison at sentencing Dec. 20 before U.S. District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson in Washington.

In a 35-page sentencing recommendation, however, prosecutors with U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu of the District exercised their right to ask the judge for a tougher sentence, saying Wolfe, “caused significant disruption to a governmental function and significantly endangered the national security” by breaking the trust between the FBI and the oversight committee.

“All persons have an equal and absolute obligation to be truthful when making a statement in an FBI interview,” prosecutors Jocelyn Ballantine and Tejpal S. Chawla wrote. “Such persons — and particularly public officials such as Wolfe, who have a sworn duty to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States — must know that there are severe consequences for violating that duty.”
Huh.
"Reporter #3" is believed to be his ex-girlfriend, NY Times reporter Ali Watkins.

Now, back to real news:

Carrie Johnson‏Verified account @johnson_carrie

Flynn met with prosecutors 19 times over 62 hours, and turned over “sweeping categories” of documents held by his two companies plus electronic devices, lawyers said.

ETA:

Carrie Johnson‏Verified account @johnson_carrie 21m21 minutes ago

More

Just in: Michael Flynn asks for probation not to exceed one year with minimal conditions of supervision and 200 hrs community service bc he accepted responsibility and cooperated extensively. Court filing includes references from multiple retired military incl General Jack Keane.

Reagan's rolling in his grave.  The GOP is in bed with a Soviet hard-liner and alleged Russian spies are worthy of sympathy.  But they're patriots and love America! 
Yeah, I need someone to circulate the new Republican platform. Near as I can tell it is:

1. Immigrants pose a significant security threat*

* Unless they are admitted agents of an adversarial government seeking to infiltrate the highest level of our party to further Russian interests - they're ok and should be victimized/justified because otherwise we'd look really really dumb.

Yeah, I need someone to circulate the new Republican platform. Near as I can tell it is:

1. Immigrants pose a significant security threat*

* Unless they are admitted agents of an adversarial government seeking to infiltrate the highest level of our party to further Russian interests - they're ok and should be victimized/justified because otherwise we'd look really really dumb.
Perfect 

1. James Comey was registered Republican for most of his adult life and currently identifies as an independent, not a "fellow Democrat".

2. James Comey was a Republican when he was chosen to head the FBI.

3. by definition, Comey is nonpartisan.
yes, though considering that his mind exploded, he probably should be disqualified.

Don’t be butt hurt comrade

Manafort's lawyers delayed his opposition to the Feds' sentencing into January today.

Paul Manafort's lawyers said Tuesday they are not sure if they will challenge Robert Mueller's assertion that Manafort lied in interviews when he was supposed to be cooperating with the special counsel.
The Situation Room‏Verified account @CNNSitRoom

“This development could be profoundly significant … What may be happening here is that Paul Manafort’s lawyers are grappling with new potential evidence of obstruction of justice,” Dem @SenBlumenthal says on the delay of Manafort’s hearing until January.

What really gets me is the total 180 the gop will do on someone. When mueller was announced SC it was nothing but good- he’s professional, he’s unbiased, right guy for the job. Now he’s running a biased witch hunt for the democrats. Michael Flynn was a great guy and it’s too bad what they’re doing to him- now he’s a liar. Cohen was trumps personal lawyer....that he barely knew and he’s also a liar and a terrible lawyer. Russians are bad in the 80s, now they’re just another country looking to do business. People from the Middle East are not to be trusted, in fact we shouldn’t even let them come here at all, so let’s make a travel ban, but one guy who is actually responsible for ordering a murder is ok- because he’s an ally (or perhaps the trump family has other factors in mind.) And people just nod and go forward.

What really gets me is the total 180 the gop will do on someone. When mueller was announced SC it was nothing but good- he’s professional, he’s unbiased, right guy for the job. Now he’s running a biased witch hunt for the democrats. Michael Flynn was a great guy and it’s too bad what they’re doing to him- now he’s a liar. Cohen was trumps personal lawyer....that he barely knew and he’s also a liar and a terrible lawyer. Russians are bad in the 80s, now they’re just another country looking to do business. People from the Middle East are not to be trusted, in fact we shouldn’t even let them come here at all, so let’s make a travel ban, but one guy who is actually responsible for ordering a murder is ok- because he’s an ally (or perhaps the trump family has other factors in mind.) And people just nod and go forward.
Well sure she's accused of, and pleading guilty to, being a Russian spy. But that's only because the US intelligence community is corrupt and can't be trusted.  Plus they treat her mean. 

Remember this?

It's a complicated operation because Trump has entanglements dating back a long time. And I bet there isn't as much of a paper trail as we'd normally see because Don can't read and write very well (plus written instructions imply a commitment to an action and a loss of deniability -- I used to work for a guy very much like this in nature).  So investigators have to find the cash transfers and then dig into the underlying reasons for them.

I agree but is has been 2 years and a crap ton of resources and money so if he is guilty of something he should be ousted now.
The civil forfeitures and fines have paid for it.  It took more than twice this much time to determine Clinton committed perjury.

Maybe we can pin a one post thread at the top of the forum for every time someone wants to end the investigation "because it is taking too long and if he's guilty he should be charged". 

Isn't the claim that she's being held in solitary for her protection rather than as punishment?

I agree that it's an excessive form of punishment and I hope the government isn't using it as such. That said, I tend to give a lot more credence to people who consistently rail against the excesses and injustices in law enforcement when they're perpetrated against the poor, minorities, etc. We talk about that kind of stuff all the time around here and I don't recall ever hearing from you in those conversations 🤔 

Maybe we can pin a one post thread at the top of the forum for every time someone wants to end the investigation "because it is taking too long and if he's guilty he should be charged". 
Not only charged..ousted...gone!

Users who are viewing this thread