What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (7 Viewers)

I'm confused.....were talking Corey Davis correct?  

Decades......he's been in the league for 1.5 seasons.  I don't know what you expect as it is rare for WRs to come into the league and dominate immediately with the exception of a few. 

For years I recall many articles and breakouts with WRs in thier 3rd season.  A few that come to the top of my head are Brandon Marshall, Hakeem Nick's, Demaryius Thomas etc. 

Way too late to abandon ship on Davis
I think it was a commentary on the Titans rather than Davis personally.

Opponent in one of my leagues where I could really use a win had to put Davis in for Diggs with him now not likely to play so probably means Davis will go off this week

Corey Davis caught 6-of-10 targets for 56 yards in the Titans' Week 9 win over the Cowboys.

The 10 targets were easily a team-high as Davis saw 34.5% of the target share in this one. He's been dominating the looks all season for Tennessee, but the quality of those passes have been all over the map. Davis should have had a 10-yard touchdown, but Marcus Mariota missed him wide open in the end zone on what was maybe one of his two bad throws on the night. He also missed Davis for a short gain on his first pass on the game. Davis will get the Patriots next in Week 10. He went 5-63-2 against them in the playoffs last year.

Nov 5 - 11:31 PM

Can someone help me understand the Top 200 ranking of Davis on this site?  Currently for rest of season he is #33 overall, ahead of guys like James Conner, Marlon Mack, Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, James White, Adrian Peterson, Tyler Boyd, etc. 

I have been watching him rise in these rankings week after week, even though his performance is continuously low.  Targets are only valuable when you actually do something with them.  

I dropped him a month ago and he’s still sitting on my leagues waiver wire. No one else even close to him in the Top 200 rankings are available.  

Normally I don’t question rankings because they are simply opinions, but he’s been in the top 30-40 rest of season for months now...and has yet to be even close to that. 

Agree. He has pretty consistently been ranked in the top 24 WR in the Top 200 and almost every week is ranked as a WR2. (at least in my league scoring)

I think we will likely see Gilmore shadow Corey Davis this weekend so I dont understand how FBG has him as a mid-range WR2 this week. Maybe they are considering possible game script where TEN is way behind and passing alot?

I believe in the talent, I liked the 10 targets last week but I just dont know that I believe that Mariota and the TEN O philosophy can make him a reliable starter this week. They are just too content to run the modern version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. 31st in pass attempts, 30th in completions, 30th in passing yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved him for Wentz (redraft). Guy offered me Wentz, actually. Out of the blue... Couldn't hit accept fast enough. 

Agree. He has pretty consistently been ranked in the top 24 WR in the Top 200 and almost every week is ranked as a WR2. (at least in my league scoring)

I think we will likely see Gilmore shadow Corey Davis this weekend so I dont understand how FBG has him as a mid-range WR2 this week. Maybe they are considering possible game script where TEN is way behind and passing alot?

I believe in the talent, I liked the 10 targets last week but I just dont know that I believe that Mariota and the TEN O philosophy can make him a reliable starter this week. They are just too content to run the modern version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. 31st in pass attempts, 30th in completions, 30th in passing yards.
I agree with Gilmore shadowing him this week, but I'm starting him because I fully expect GTP and the sheer # of targets. They are not going to run the ball down NE's throat and Marriota is finally healthy. Remember, he scored 2 TD's against them in the playoffs last year. 

I agree with Gilmore shadowing him this week, but I'm starting him because I fully expect GTP and the sheer # of targets. They are not going to run the ball down NE's throat and Marriota is finally healthy. Remember, he scored 2 TD's against them in the playoffs last year. 
Why not? It's the only way they have even a shred of a hope.

I was trying to make a trade to a bottom placed team for his only older stud so I involved Corey Davis and a 1st.  He told me Corey Davis sucks and wants no part in him.  I'd happily be buying Davis if there is that owner in your league.  Go find him.  

I was trying to make a trade to a bottom placed team for his only older stud so I involved Corey Davis and a 1st.  He told me Corey Davis sucks and wants no part in him.  I'd happily be buying Davis if there is that owner in your league.  Go find him.  
Unfortunately it’s rare that owner is holding him by now. I’d gladly buy him at that price in my current rebuild, but I’ve got him already (which is also part of why I’m rebuilding ugh).

I’d easily chuck a 2 at him (I think he’s worth quite a bit more, but id snap accept him for a 2nd). He’s shown enough IMO that I’d expect him to be very productive when given competent qb play. If Mariota didn’t miss him wide open in the end zone last week it’d be a different discussion. MM seemed to be pulling it together somewhat in the 2nd half, so hopefully he is healthy and can keep that up.

That owner sold him long ago.  Probably to a shark that smelled that blood, who then flipped him to the big believer for a nice profit...

people are very fickle. 3-4 months ago he was the hot name. 

Corey Davis, according to FBG chart, is worth an early 1st. And that's probably fair. the top 3 rookie WRs have similar upside as Davis still does. Anyone who owns him should know that the biggest reason he isn't performing well is the offense dysfunction. 

I'd certainly try to buy low if I could. Could probably trade a high 2nd or low 1st for him if his owner is impatient.

I know in my league if I offered him in a deal, the other owner would view him the same as the guy above did, "he sucks." so his value in an offered trade is pretty low. 

Corey Davis, according to FBG chart, is worth an early 1st. And that's probably fair. the top 3 rookie WRs have similar upside as Davis still does. Anyone who owns him should know that the biggest reason he isn't performing well is the offense dysfunction. 

I'd certainly try to buy low if I could. Could probably trade a high 2nd or low 1st for him if his owner is impatient.

I know in my league if I offered him in a deal, the other owner would view him the same as the guy above did, "he sucks." so his value in an offered trade is pretty low. 
Why would you buy low. Do you see an end  in sight for the offensive dysfunction?

Why would you buy low. Do you see an end  in sight for the offensive dysfunction?
Yes, I do. This offense was likely to go through growing pains with its first year in the spread. Mariota was hurt for a big chunk. 

Also, when given the chance, Davis has performed quite admirably. The volume is there.

The reward if he does pan out far outweighs the low cost to get him. Would I give a high 1st? no. If I could get him below market value... that's a steal. 

Not long ago we expected WRs to not do a whole lot until year 3. If Davis finishes this year as a stinker and continues next year then I'll be more sour on him. Corey Davis is a few weeks younger than Calvin Ridley...  and about 3 months younger than Anthony Miller- and everyone is talking about him being a stud someday. You're likely to pay more for Anthony Miller tha  you are for Corey Davis. I'd argue they have similar upside

I'd gladly take "yesterdays news" when he has such potential ahead of him. Just as I would take either of those other two wrs (and I'm not a terribly big Ridley fan, but he is doing quite well). 

Actually by now I am not convinced the top rookies don’t have more upside.  Last year during the Parker and Treadwell analyses there were some damning stats being thrown around about how unlikely it was that any receiver who didn’t produce fantasy value early would ever emerge as a strong WR1.  Davis is well below those thresholds, which makes me doubt he will ever become what we hoped he would.

I am holding him now because I don’t see anything available in my league that excites me, but I would consider a high 1st fair value and might move him for that if the offer came in.

I think there are a number of possible avenues to reduced offensive dysfunction. Mariota staying healthy, Mariota gaining comfort in what’s yet another new offensive system, the line getting healthier and playing up to their on-paper talent. Lafleur is young and may be learning on the job (or get replaced if he doesn’t improve). The running game seems to be picking up some steam, which may take some pressure off. Jonnu or Taywan developing into threats (or Delanie coming back) to reduce defensive attention.

I can’t speak confidently about the likelihood of each of those things happening, but any one should yield some marginal improvement and a combination of multiple might mean significant improvement.

edit: I’d consider a high first for him, but turned down a late 1/late 2 combo offer a couple weeks ago and have no regrets.

He’s getting a boatload of targets. I’d be more enthused in a wide-open offense, but personally i’m much more concerned about whether the quality can improve than the passing volume

I'm not ready to agree on this yet. Nor am I far enough a believer to debate the opposing position. I'm not sure we can fairly grade Mariota at this point. 
He is in his 4th season as a starter. Is the offensive system to blame or is the system limited based on the ability of quarterback? Tough to say from the outside but he has not done enough to think they have full confidence that he is a franchise QB. A big part of QBing is moving the ball through the air. Last year he ended the season with 4/6 games under 200 yards passing. This year 4/7 games have been under 130 yards passing. I don’t care what the excuses are that is simply unacceptable in today’s game.

He is in his 4th season as a starter. Is the offensive system to blame or is the system limited based on the ability of quarterback? Tough to say from the outside but he has not done enough to think they have full confidence that he is a franchise QB. A big part of QBing is moving the ball through the air. Last year he ended the season with 4/6 games under 200 yards passing. This year 4/7 games have been under 130 yards passing. I don’t care what the excuses are that is simply unacceptable in today’s game.
A lot of excuses, I agree. last year he was not far removed from a devastating injury that had occurred at the end of the 2016 season. This year his elbow is was hurt and he is in a brand new system. 

His OL is not playing very well and he lost his top target from the last 3 seasons

Excuses, sure, but legitimate ones for sure. We cant fairly grade him in my opinion. Not to mention you dont need to be elite to produce a top fantasy wr (or even 2 top fantasy wrs), just see Andy Dalton 

You say Corey Davis can't be a star because Mariota is a middling QB. Yet "middling QBs" have produced top notch wrs in fantasy just as often, if not maybe more often, than Top QBs. 2017, of the top 12, 6 were on teams with average to below average qbs 

Hopkins, Hill, Theilen, Evans, Landry, AJ Green, E Sanders... they've all done quite well in the past in fantasy with some "middling qbs"

Mariota's weapons are so bad they offered the Raiders their first and second for the Raiders second and Amari. This after they  took Corey Davis at #5 overall.  Teams don't normally make that kind of draft capital investment in WR. I'm not sure if Titans interest in Amari was because they felt they needed someone else other then Davis or if Davis himself is part of the problem but one thing for sure it seems easy to see the Titans front office understands Mariotta does not have much to work with.

Mariota's weapons are so bad they offered the Raiders their first and second for the Raiders second and Amari. This after they  took Corey Davis at #5 overall.  Teams don't normally make that kind of draft capital investment in WR. I'm not sure if Titans interest in Amari was because they felt they needed someone else other then Davis or if Davis himself is part of the problem but one thing for sure it seems easy to see the Titans front office understands Mariotta does not have much to work with.
I’m not saying this rumor, if true, does not show concern on the Titans part, but trading let’s say picks 17/49 for pick 33 is not a crazy sacrifice for a potential talent like Cooper when you consider that the second WR is a void for the titans.

Corey Davis caught 7-of-10 targets for 125 yards and a touchdown in the Titans' Week 10 upset win over New England.

Held to 65 yards or fewer in seven of the Titans' first eight games, Davis owned this matchup from start to finish. Stephon Gilmore entered Week 10 as the hottest cornerback in the league, but he couldn't hang with Davis' physicality and acrobatic in-the-air prowess. Davis even drew three defensive pass interference flags against Patriots defenders. With Davis dominating targets and Tennessee's passing game finally turning a corner, Davis will be an upside WR2 play in Week 11 at Indianapolis.

Nov 11 - 4:09 PM

Traded for him and started him due to Digg being on bye. How much can we trust him moving forward?
I think he's pretty safe as a WR2 *IN GOOD MATCHUPS*.  Otherwise I'd be comfortable as a WR3 in most formats.  Mariota and that offense has looked really good now that he seems to be healthy and the coaches have settled in a bit with their first season.  Same with Davis.  I'm not really worried about him anymore.  

Still not convinced on Mariotta’s consistency. My impression watching him today was that most of the time he doesn’t seem to go through his progressions. From an amateurs eye he appeared to lock on his primary read and that was it. For being mobile his pocket movement seems awkward and he threw a few wobblers (maybe the elbow is still a problem).

When you consider that Mariota threw for 228 yards and Davis collected 125 yards against who was presumed to be the best CB in the league, we all have to be extremely encouraged by this.
I agree, although I was extremely encouraged after the Philly game, and he didn't do squat after that until this week.

Still not convinced on Mariotta’s consistency. My impression watching him today was that most of the time he doesn’t seem to go through his progressions. From an amateurs eye he appeared to lock on his primary read and that was it. For being mobile his pocket movement seems awkward and he threw a few wobblers (maybe the elbow is still a problem).
Agreed as well.

IMO, the difference between the NE and Philly games is that he dominated today against one of the top 3 corners in football. As we all know, Philly’s secondary isn’t very good, so his performance that game wasn’t a shocker. Marriotta isn’t great, but he’s peppering with Davis with targets and this offense stating to gel 

I think when healthy, Mariota is an average QB.  When he can't feel his fingers, he's a bad QB.  Certainly he's a disappointment for being the second overall pick in the draft, but I don't think he stinks, and since I'm not a Titans fan, it doesn't much bother me that he is a disappointment.  If he peppers Davis with a high percentage of targets against a more average CB than Gillmore, that should generally yield good fantasy results.

IMO, the difference between the NE and Philly games is that he dominated today against one of the top 3 corners in football. As we all know, Philly’s secondary isn’t very good, so his performance that game wasn’t a shocker. Marriotta isn’t great, but he’s peppering with Davis with targets and this offense stating to gel 
You just have to love how Davis drags defenders with him. Sometimes took 3 defenders today to bring him down. And the rainbow catch was beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread