What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (1 Viewer)

FBG staff whiffed bigly on this guy in their 2017 post draft rookie rankings.  Nearly every single other first round pick has outproduced this guy and they had him in the top 2.  I'm cutting bait and hopefully can get a 3rd or something for him. 

Updating a previous report, Corey Davis (ankle) was officially listed as a limited participant for Wednesday's practice.

Davis wasn't present for the portion of practice open to the media but was still listed as 'limited' on Wednesday's official report. His status will obviously be worth monitoring as the week progresses. A.J. Brown played 94 percent of the team's offensive snaps in Davis' lone absence this year and would be directly in line for more usage if the latter can't go for Week 16.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 3:36 PM ET

FBG staff whiffed bigly on this guy in their 2017 post draft rookie rankings.  Nearly every single other first round pick has outproduced this guy and they had him in the top 2.  I'm cutting bait and hopefully can get a 3rd or something for him. 
If I'm in your leagues, yep. 

I only have him in one, he's starting for me in the championship game. (Albeit, mostly due to lack of options in a deep league)

I thought Davis made an excellent effort on a diving catch near the sideline. 

Tape review shows (every scout I read) a different story. First of all if he's laying out like that, he should wind up in bounds. Yes it's difficult, but they practice this. If he ran into the ball, he could have caught it. In slomo, he leans down and then up slowing him down to start this dive, then (how a dive works) he burst forward to catch it. Scouts pointed out how the ball didn't have a lot on it, clearly Tannehill allowing him to run into it. If he did put mustard on the pass, then Davis should have taken one more step and been in the guarded position-diving to catch it with his chest/hands. 

It's really fascinating to read scouts break down a play like this. Also, I always thought only catch with your hands, never chest but it does make sense if you're giving up your bod and about to crash into the turf. 

Why is this a big deal? Because everyone seems to have the training camp tape of them practicing this.

The issue with Davis isn't Rob Moore's coaching, he is clearly improving him and teaching the little things. The issue is Corey applying those in games. The Titans have the same prob with Landry and Bowen teaching him. Landry refuses to use several pass rush moves and only goes with the speed rush despite many hours practicing different moves. 

Still the most creepy example of this- The video of Davis showing AJ Brown how to get past pressing CBs during his first week weeks with the team.  This is Davis' biggest problem and yet he obviously knows what to do and how to do it.

Titans coach Mike Vrabel said Corey Davis has entered the concussion protocol.

Fellow receiver Kalif Raymond has also entered the league's protocol. The injury could explain Tajae Sharpe's increased involvement in Sunday's loss to New Orleans. Davis hasn't been much of a factor anyway, averaging an anemic 34.3 yards over his current seven-game touchdown drought. Sharpe and A.J. Brown would again work as Ryan Tannehill's top targets if Davis can't go against the Texans in this week's regular season finale.

SOURCE: Erik Bacharach on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 12:49 PM ET

Tajae has been playing more each of the last several weeks. His concussion and the game this week had nothing to do with it

Corey Davis caught 5-of-8 targets for 65 yards in Tennessee's AFC Championship loss to the Chiefs.

Davis' third year in the league was nothing short of underwhelming as he failed to exceed 100 receiving yards at any point, eclipsing 80 just once all season. Even his production (27/364/1) in 10 games from Ryan Tannehill would ultimately amount to very little. Only 25, it's still more than plausible Davis breaks out before signing a second contract. That of course will still prove hard to accomplish if Tannehill returns in free agency and averages 27 pass attempts for the second straight season. Having declined across the board with 43/601/2 in '19 compared to his sophomore follow-up (65/891/4), Davis will merely be a late-round dart in fantasy leagues next year.

Jan 19, 2020, 9:46 PM ET

Hard to continue to blame it on QB play and the offense ran when the WR across from him lit it up in his rookie year. 
Yes, AJ Browns success did a lot to take away the QB/offense excuse.

I did recently give up on Corey Davis in a league and before I did I was trying to think of a WR in recent history who fit these parameters:

Break out in year 4 or soon after after spending first 3-4 years not stuck playing behind other players but given ample playing time/opportunity and who was not a one year wonder like a Brandin Lloyd. Basically a multi year starter who was a fantasy dud who in year 4 or later was a multi season fantasy stud or high performer.

I'm sure there are others and if so I'd like to hear them but all I could come up was Emmanuel Sanders. And even with him he was not really given as much opportunity his first few years as Corey but got 75 targets his third season and 112 his fourth.  Sanders also got me thinking of how AJ Brown's success made me lower on Corey Davis.  Once Sanders got a shot in Pittsburgh he was not very good, even with Big Ben throwing to him. So for all intents and purposes to me Sanders did not seem like much but then he popped later and even did so with QB's inferior to Big Ben. Maybe some players just suck in a certain system or with certain QB's? I don't think Corey Davis is an NFL teams WR1, and where I traded him was an FFPC league where I'm tight on roster space and just don't want to carry him another year hoping he leaves the Titans for a more productive system in 2021 but in the right system I could certainly see his career taking a Sanders type arc.

I did recently give up on Corey Davis in a league and before I did I was trying to think of a WR in recent history who fit these parameters:

Break out in year 4 or soon after after spending first 3-4 years not stuck playing behind other players but given ample playing time/opportunity and who was not a one year wonder like a Brandin Lloyd. Basically a multi year starter who was a fantasy dud who in year 4 or later was a multi season fantasy stud or high performer.

I'm sure there are others and if so I'd like to hear them but all I could come up was Emmanuel Sanders.
Irving Fryar didn’t catch more than 60 passes or top 1,000 yards receiving until his 8th season in the NFL. His 11th to 14th seasons were decent production for fantasy football purposes.

I'm sure there are others and if so I'd like to hear them but all I could come up was Emmanuel Sanders. And even with him he was not really given as much opportunity his first few years as Corey but got 75 targets his third season and 112 his fourth.  Sanders also got me thinking of how AJ Brown's success made me lower on Corey Davis.  Once Sanders got a shot in Pittsburgh he was not very good, even with Big Ben throwing to him. So for all intents and purposes to me Sanders did not seem like much but then he popped later and even did so with QB's inferior to Big Ben. Maybe some players just suck in a certain system or with certain QB's? I don't think Corey Davis is an NFL teams WR1, and where I traded him was an FFPC league where I'm tight on roster space and just don't want to carry him another year hoping he leaves the Titans for a more productive system in 2021 but in the right system I could certainly see his career taking a Sanders type arc.
Marvin Harrison

Devante Parker has a shot at it next season

Irving Fryar didn’t catch more than 60 passes or top 1,000 yards receiving until his 8th season in the NFL. His 11th to 14th seasons were decent production for fantasy football purposes.

Marvin Harrison

Devante Parker has a shot at it next season
Thanks for the responses, good calls. 

Parker should not only have been obvious but was on my mind with Corey last year when Parker was breaking out.

Titans GM Jrob said they will definitely look to bolster the WR corps more and they all feel they could have used Humphries better. His year end exit interview was lengthy and the offensive staff wanted him to know their regret and that he is absolutely in their plans for 2020. 

None of this is good for Davis. He becomes trade bait with one move.

Also probably means Tajae is gone because he can't wait in the balance while all that takes place

Wow that's the first I'd heard that he had turf toe this year. Sure would love to see them trade him to someone that can really use him. 
That he never required a cortizone shot shows that it wasn't that bad and he (and team) did a great job managing it.

The Athletic's John Glennon does not expect the Titans to exercise Corey Davis' fifth-year team option for 2021.

Although it is guaranteed for injury only, Davis would be due roughly $15.8 million under the option, a sum his play has not come close to reflecting. The No. 5 overall pick of the 2017 draft was easily passed on the depth chart by second-round rookie A.J. Brown in 2019. It's hard to label Davis an outright bust — he posted 891 yards in 2018 — but he has not had the looks of a future No. 1 wideout. Davis does have youth on his side, having turned 25 just last month.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 20, 2020, 8:13 PM ET

I still expect him traded. 

There isn't a writer I know that thinks the Titans want to pay him 8 mil this year.

I know I've been saying this since the season ended and it didn't happen, but the draft and the week after is a common time for trades.

There are also strong reports that they love a couple WR prospects and with Humphries around there just wouldn't be a need for Davis then.

There isn't a writer I know that thinks the Titans want to pay him 8 mil this year.

I know I've been saying this since the season ended and it didn't happen, but the draft and the week after is a common time for trades.

There are also strong reports that they love a couple WR prospects and with Humphries around there just wouldn't be a need for Davis then.
A tough year to trade a guy who has not produced well as the draft is pretty strong at that position. It will be interesting if it does happen what he could be had for. 

Pleaseeeeee

from your keyboard (setting) to the fantasy god's device of choice

A tough year to trade a guy who has not produced well as the draft is pretty strong at that position. It will be interesting if it does happen what he could be had for. 
A team could turn down the fifth year option then sign him to an extension at some agreed upon rate. New CBA increased the caps dramatically.

I agree with what you said though. Besides the rookies, there's a handful of XFL guys I think could make an NFL roster and possibly outplay their fourth or fifth WR spot to become productive members. 

It's just that it is possible and this is that weird time where people will be discussing Corey (and Mike Williams) a lot because we all compare prior drafted WRs to current ones in the draft. 

JRob discussing drafting a WR early and still have to bolster the WR corps(again, few times this offseason) lends more hmmm to this 

JRob discussing drafting a WR early and still have to bolster the WR corps(again, few times this offseason) lends more hmmm to this 
What's up with Humphries?  They gave him a real big contract (Pats were all over him as well) but he seemed to be very underwhelming there.

What's up with Humphries?  They gave him a real big contract (Pats were all over him as well) but he seemed to be very underwhelming there.
They were very upset with how the slot WR worked out all season. They had huge plans for the slot and a switch from the 2 and 3 TE offense they used so much in 16-18. They love Humphries and Cameron Batson too. Batson got injured last year but he's a quick twitch guy "made" for the slot and one of those that would be a nice fifth WR. He'd be quiet most weeks but others, he could be a pain to cover and make a few real key plays.

Anyway,  Vrabel has run two weak camps letting veterans take it easy and having almost no camp competition. Conklin (overcoming a down year from a knee) over-compensated trying to show the world he was all-pro level like his rookie year. Rookie G Davis was awful in the beginning and they subbed in a number of guards so Conklin had no help inside. Delanie would get hurt and the right side would be on pace to set the record for sacks allowed. Humphries was put in to help block. It was awful. He wasn't very effective and just brutal to watch.

Rookie OC Arthur Smith got things figured out and the O line settled down by about midseason. They finally went with a fullback. He had TEs switching places. Henry no longer had a threat from Lewis and Brown had established himself. They had to run the ball against some tough offenses to eat the clock, then to pound some top defenses, and they barely passed. Humphries came up huge in a couple fourth quarters and then got hurt. He returned later in the year but it was the Henry show by then. 

Arthur Smith has shown a Heimerdinger/Belichick like ability to move people everywhere and have everyone knowing every position and....he sets people up to make plays in a clever way.  Henry lined out wide a good number of plays, Jonnu was getting carries. He did a great job once he got comfy. Smith and Vrabel have often spoken about how they couldn't do the slot how they wanted and almost regret it but they had to and....Humphries is expected to be a far far bigger part in 2020.  He should be what most of us expected going into 2019.

I bet Davis breaks out
It will be worth millions so ya gotta figure he's got whatever extra motivation there this offseason.

He's been a good pro with everything off the field and training and all. Even everything he showed Brown last offseason. He just gets nerves in-game and doesn't do the exact things he worked on with Brown- like how to beat pressing CBs

It will be worth millions so ya gotta figure he's got whatever extra motivation there this offseason.

He's been a good pro with everything off the field and training and all. Even everything he showed Brown last offseason. He just gets nerves in-game and doesn't do the exact things he worked on with Brown- like how to beat pressing CBs
I see more the focus being on Brown now he has broken out. This leaves Davis, who to me, is a great route runner and catcher. The QB situation and the offense (RB heavy) had a lot to do with his production not being well. Brown will take catches, but I see more going to Davis than predicted... gut feeling

Marvin Harrison
Harrison wasn't great his first 3 years but way better than Davis

Harrison had 21 TD's his first 3 years.  Davis has 6.

I didn't really remember Harrison being so bad in yards but probably those TD's made people forget.

Parker is a pretty good comparision.  I held that dude for 4 years finally gave up on him right before last year got a future 2nd thought that was great.........at the time.

"The #Titans are declining WR Corey Davis' fifth-year option, source said." Via @TomPelissero
Rotoworld take:

Titans declined Corey Davis' fifth-year team option for 2021.

He'll settle for $8.1 million on the final year of his rookie deal before becoming an unrestricted free agent (rather than making $15.6 million) in 2021. Davis just turned 25 in January but has yet to live up to the expectations of a former No. 5 overall pick, declining across the board in receptions (43), receiving yards (601), and touchdowns (2) behind A.J. Brown last year. A simple change of scenery for the former could very well be of use barring a surprising fourth-year breakout.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

May 1, 2020, 10:52 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread