What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (3 Viewers)

I benched him for...uh Ekeler who scored exactly the same.  (The correct answer ended up being the mercurial Jared Cook)

Got a massive lead though :)

-QG

Should be better next year with Burrow at QB, the OL the drafted last year getting inserted into the line and hopefully more OL drafted this year.
Yeah.  He really came on down the stretch.  A better O-line next year, hopefully Burrow energizes the offense.  I wonder how far he falls in drafts next year.  I'd love love love him in the 3rd, I suspect he'll still go 2nd.

Joe Mixon rushed 21 times for 50 yards in the Bengals' Week 16 loss to the Dolphins.

Mixon added two receptions for 23 yards to bring his fantasy line up to 9.3 PPR points. It was a disappointment given the opponent, especially since the Bengals had two overtime possessions. Mixon was arguably slower than normal because of his "stomach bug" but he did still have his bellcow role. The Bengals will close the season out with a matchup against the Browns. Mixon will be an RB2 as long as the starters play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished on an absolute tear other than week 16 where he had the runs.  With a QB upgrade, his O-line getting healthy--he should be in for a monster 2020.  I assume he'll go 2nd round, and I'll target him pretty heavily there.  If he falls to the 3rd...oh my.

Bengals' offseason priorities: Futures of A.J. Green and Joe Mixon, QB picture

Excerpt:

Then there's Mixon, who took advantage of a revamped blocking scheme and rushed for more than 1,000 yards for the second consecutive season. Mixon, who was drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft, doesn't have a fifth-year option on the final season of his rookie contract, which means he's also in limbo.

Mixon, 23, is aware of what peers around the league have recently received. Rams running back Todd Gurley inked a four-year, $57.5 million deal with $45 million in guarantees in 2018. The Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliottended his holdout before the 2019 season when he received $50 million guaranteed as part of a six-year, $90 million contract.

Giving a running back a massive contract is always risky considering the volume of cheaper options (like Green Bay found with fifth-round pick Aaron Jones) or performance that doesn’t match the paycheck (Gurley was 20th in total rushing last season). And even though Bengals coach Zac Taylor changed his philosophy by the end of the season, Mixon averaged 12.6 carries per game during the first half of 2019.

The Athletic's Paul Dehner writes contract-year RB Joe Mixon is "prepared for a holdout" if he and the Bengals can't agree to a long-term deal.

Mixon is headed into the final year of his rookie deal, which is set to pay him just over $1.2 million.  He's obviously insanely underpaid, and Mixon knows the deal with running backs -- their shelf life is short, so he needs to capitalize when able.  24 in July, Mixon is coming off yet another 1,000-yard season after piling up a huge second half following the Week 9 bye.  Mixon had 100 yards and/or one touchdown in 6-of-8 games down the stretch in 2019.  However, we've seen how holdouts go with running backs.  It could be a risky line to walk for Mixon.  It is notable the Bengals have been willing to spend money this offseason.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 15, 2020, 9:15 AM ET

Joe Mixon is "prepared for a holdout" if he and the Bengals can't agree to a long-term deal.
I think this could be a big story if for no other reason the franchise he's negotiating with. CIN only has 7 picks in this draft and could certainly use a lot more. They also have a veteran backup in Gio and two high-upside backups in Anderson and WIlliams that were brought in by the current coaching staff. Neither made a dent in '19 but could have a big impact in '20.

After watching the slow death of both LAC and Gordon last season maybe it would be best for both sides if he got traded during the draft. He is only 23yo and I would think compares favorably to the very best backs in this draft.

Dehner has been beating the Mixon is going to hold out drum for months now. He may be right but I don't think Mixon will hold out, rules are stacked against him. A few points.

1. I don't think anything he is reporting is new or updated news he got from a source.

2. The Rotoworld headline is borderline fake news. The article does not say at all say that  he is "prepared for a holdout". It states this: seeing how negotiations pan out this fall – particularly how aggressive of a stance Mixon takes toward a potential holdout – but it’s the elephant in the room right now.

3. Only holdout he can do before training camp, assuming we make it, is not participate in virtual sessions.

4. And most importantly while I've not seen final details of new CBA but if what was reported in late February is true it removes almost any chance of him holding out for more then a few days.The two big keys that were reported at the time was the team can't waive the fines and the fines would increase from past years and Mixon's not made a ton of money so far to risk throwing away a few hundred thousand. Secondly and really most key it was reported if you don't show in 5 days from opening of camp you lose an accrued year and he absolutely can't do that.

Dehner has been beating the Mixon is going to hold out drum for months now. He may be right but I don't think Mixon will hold out, rules are stacked against him. A few points.

1. I don't think anything he is reporting is new or updated news he got from a source.

2. The Rotoworld headline is borderline fake news. The article does not say at all say that  he is "prepared for a holdout". It states this: seeing how negotiations pan out this fall – particularly how aggressive of a stance Mixon takes toward a potential holdout – but it’s the elephant in the room right now.

3. Only holdout he can do before training camp, assuming we make it, is not participate in virtual sessions.

4. And most importantly while I've not seen final details of new CBA but if what was reported in late February is true it removes almost any chance of him holding out for more then a few days.The two big keys that were reported at the time was the team can't waive the fines and the fines would increase from past years and Mixon's not made a ton of money so far to risk throwing away a few hundred thousand. Secondly and really most key it was reported if you don't show in 5 days from opening of camp you lose an accrued year and he absolutely can't do that.
Good points. #4 is especially interesting. I'll be curious to find out if that gets confirmed. 

Daniel Jeremiah on Total Access:

“Joe Mixon - he is going to get involved in the passing game. I don’t think he has caught more than 43 balls or something like that. He is going to catch a lot more than that with Joe Burrow.”

New CBA will make it harder to hold out

Excerpt:

First, the daily training-camp fines would become mandatory for players operating under their second contracts. That’s a huge difference, given that most teams usually wipe the slate clean once the player reports. So when, for example, a player incurs $40,000 per day for staying away from camp for 10 days, the full $400,000 comes from his pocket, and neither he nor the team can do anything about it.

And forget about $40,000 per day. Second, the amounts of the fines would be “substantially increased.” The specific numbers aren’t yet known.

Third, the player will lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town or by leaving camp for more than five days. This would supersede the rule that removes an accrued year only if the player fails to report within 30 days before the first game of the regular season.

As we’ve said in the past, players operate under two contracts. And it’s the broader contract between league and union that dictates the penalties for violating the terms of the specific contract between team and player. The broader contract would be getting a lot less forgiving, under the terms of the proposed labor deal.

Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin said the team has "visited with" RB Joe Mixon about a long-term deal.

Tobin added, "Joe’s obviously a guy that’s shown a lot of ability ... He’s in a year that he can be extended, and he is a guy that we visited with. We’ll go through those discussions and see if there is a fit or a match for a long-term contract with him, obviously a guy we value quite a bit. The great thing about Joe is he goes about it the right way . . . He’s the type of guy you want to lock up to a long-term deal. We’ll see if we can find the commonality to get that done over time here.” Rumors have circulated that Mixon could be preparing to holdout if the team doesn't manage to get a long-term deal done. Mixon finished 2018 and 2019 as the fantasy PPR RB10 and RB13, respectively, despite splitting plenty of snaps with Giovani Bernard and operating behind one of the league's worst offensive lines. The expected addition of Joe Burrow, combined with the return of 2019 first-round OT Jonah Williams, should help both Mixon's touchdown equity and efficiency.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

May 10, 2020, 10:46 AM ET

"Rumors of a hold out..."

I think even FBGs said that the possibility of a holdout is "very real."

This is just laziness... it's the same as people saying the Patriots should sign X QB, without looking at their cap situation. 

The new collective bargaining agreement makes it extremely disadvantageous to hold out; the players have little to no leverage

If Mixon wants to not accrue a year on his contract, and rack up fines of $40,000 a day, which can no longer be waived... I guess it's a "very real" possibility...

The new CBA completely nerfed the hold out option for players

Unhidden. 

Dr. Dan - aka @Interseptopus. This was a 37 page thread with tons of responses from tons of people. 

This is not yours to hide. Not once it gets ONE reply. 

Do not ever do this again. And yeah, I'm pretty pissed that you're trying to wreck our board like this and causing me to search through old posts to find all the stuff you've hidden. 

Unhidden. 

Dr. Dan - aka @Interseptopus. This was a 37 page thread with tons of responses from tons of people. 

This is not yours to hide. Not once it gets ONE reply. 

Do not ever do this again. And yeah, I'm pretty pissed that you're trying to wreck our board like this and causing me to search through old posts to find all the stuff you've hidden. 
Have you guys chatted over PM?  I know he said he wrote you on there and you hadn't written back but maybe you can hash it out, or maybe he can tell you why he did it?  I think he said there was a serious issue he wanted to chat with you about which was the reason he hid them all.

Have you guys chatted over PM?  I know he said he wrote you on there and you hadn't written back but maybe you can hash it out, or maybe he can tell you why he did it?  I think he said there was a serious issue he wanted to chat with you about which was the reason he hid them all.
Yes. I responded promptly to his PMs. I asked him how many he'd hidden and he told me 3. I was disappointed to find he'd hidden a ton more. All the PMs are saved.

He asked if he could have all his activity deleted as he was going to start writing for a new site and he was a private person. This is not possible and I let him know that. The next day I told him to make sure he did not hide threads. 

It's fine and it's closed now. No intention of further polluting football talk with this. If you want to continue this discussion, send a PM. 

Bottom line: We don't want anyone hiding threads once other people contribute. 

While I am disappointed a private PM/email is not kept private, the fact that I was in the beginning stages of writing and my personal info was compromised. I found out I could not write using a pen name, so I reached out privately with the expectation it would be kept private.

An admin here told me it was possible but Joe would need to make an exception as they were not allowed to do so. I didn’t make a list of threads hid and I feel bad for Joe having to dig to find them. In the end, I’ve decided to pull my articles and not write because of the inability of myself to hide my information and the fact that it was compromised already.

Joe told me to not hide threads after I had done so, and then made it seem like I was intentionally not remembering how many I hid, or hiding more, which is not the case. 

Last I’ll say about all of this. I’m surprised it’s been made into such a big deal by others around here. People need to find better things to do with their time, especially better than calling my office phone and referencing fbgs forum... all voicemails are saved.

Probably one of the last posts I’ll make around here... 

Last I’ll say about all of this. I’m surprised it’s been made into such a big deal by others around here. People need to find better things to do with their time, especially better than calling my office phone and referencing fbgs forum... all voicemails are saved.

I'm confused. Why would someone post their office phone number on an anonymous fantasy football message board?

I'm confused. Why would someone post their office phone number on an anonymous fantasy football message board?

No one would do that, he didn't obviously. Someone must have figured out where he worked by putting together different things he's said or something, and then looked up the number. Only possibility really.

While I am disappointed a private PM/email is not kept private, the fact that I was in the beginning stages of writing and my personal info was compromised. I found out I could not write using a pen name, so I reached out privately with the expectation it would be kept private.

An admin here told me it was possible but Joe would need to make an exception as they were not allowed to do so. I didn’t make a list of threads hid and I feel bad for Joe having to dig to find them. In the end, I’ve decided to pull my articles and not write because of the inability of myself to hide my information and the fact that it was compromised already.

Joe told me to not hide threads after I had done so, and then made it seem like I was intentionally not remembering how many I hid, or hiding more, which is not the case. 

I think you have to admit if Joe says you told him that you hid 3 threads and in reality the total threads hid was closer to 20, that is a very big difference.

Joe also states: "He asked if he could have all his activity deleted as he was going to start writing for a new site and he was a private person." This seems to be a different reason you gave Joe than the "someone from FBG is harassing me in my personal life" reason you have stated here.

This is referring to players who are on their second contract.

Mixon is still on his first contract, so how is this applicable to him?
Do you have a link that says this is not applicable to first contracts? I don't see that in the linked article or anywhere else via Google search, and I don't think that is the case.

If it was the case, it would be a largely meaningless change... what percentage of holdouts occur while under first contract vs. later contracts? I don't know the answer, but I suspect more occur under first contracts than later contracts.

Do you have a link that says this is not applicable to first contracts? I don't see that in the linked article or anywhere else via Google search, and I don't think that is the case.

If it was the case, it would be a largely meaningless change... what percentage of holdouts occur while under first contract vs. later contracts? I don't know the answer, but I suspect more occur under first contracts than later contracts.
I dont know. Just noticing that the do say a players second contract. 

I did a new search and this is the results I get from PFR

1 Saquon Barkley 2018 21 1-2 NYG NFL 16 16 121 91 721 7.92 4 45.1 75.2% 5.96
2 Reggie Bush 2006 21 1-2 NOR NFL 16 8 121 88 742 8.43 2 46.4 72.7% 6.13
3 Alvin Kamara 2017 22 3-67 NOR NFL 16 3 100 81 826 10.20 5 51.6 81.0% 8.26
4 Christian McCaffrey 2017 21 1-8 CAR NFL 16 10 113 80 651 8.14 5 40.7 70.8% 5.76
5 Matt Forte 2008 23 2-44 CHI NFL 16 16 76 63 477 7.57 4 29.8 82.9% 6.28
6 Nyheim Hines 2018 22 4-104 IND NFL 16 4 81 63 425 6.75 2 26.6 77.8% 5.25
7 Duke Johnson 2015 22 3-77 CLE NFL 16 7 74 61 534 8.75 2 33.4 82.4% 7.22
8 LaDainian Tomlinson* 2001 22 1-5 SDG NFL 16 16 74 59 367 6.22 0 22.9 79.7% 4.96
9 Jahvid Best 2010 21 1-30 DET NFL 16 9 80 58 487 8.40 2 30.4 72.5% 6.09
10 Giovani Bernard 2013 22 2-37 CIN NFL 16 0 71 56 514 9.18 3 32.1 78.9% 7.24
11 Tarik Cohen 2017 22 4-119 CHI NFL 16 4 71 53 353 6.66 1 22.1 74.6% 4.97
12 Kareem Hunt 2017 22 3-86 KAN NFL 16 16 63 53 455 8.58 3 28.4 84.1% 7.22
13 Trent Richardson 2012 22 1-3 CLE NFL 15 15 70 51 367 7.20 1 24.5 72.9% 5.24
14 Miles Sanders 2019 22 2-53 PHI NFL 16 11 63 50 509 10.18 3 31.8 79.4% 8.08
15 Steve Slaton 2008 22 3-89 HOU NFL 16 15 59 50 377 7.54 1 23.6 84.7% 6.

8 of the 15 times this has happened has been in the last 5 seasons. So its definitely trending up in recent years I think and that is why I am less entrenched against the possibility than I was 5 years ago.

Biabreakable said:
I dont know. Just noticing that the do say a players second contract. 
Interesting if true and really changes what I thought would be Mixon's leverage as well as Cooks and Kamara's should they opt to go that route.

I was trying to find some more info and came across an article from Dan Graziano on ESPN and he also said this would not apply to players on rookie deals and used Elliot as example so the part about the second contract seems likely to be true.

It's like watching a car wreck. You don't want to stop and gawk, but it's human nature to take a peek at the carnage. 

It's like watching a car wreck. You don't want to stop and gawk, but it's human nature to take a peek at the carnage. 
I believe this thread needs to be locked and a new Joe Mixon thread started.  Too much attention has been given to to this hiding of threads BS.  

ETA:  Moderators, please go through this thread and delete all the hijack info.  And for God's sake change the title to "Joe Mixon".

Interesting if true and really changes what I thought would be Mixon's leverage as well as Cooks and Kamara's should they opt to go that route.

I was trying to find some more info and came across an article from Dan Graziano on ESPN and he also said this would not apply to players on rookie deals and used Elliot as example so the part about the second contract seems likely to be true.
Yeah I wonder.

Lots of talk about Cook possibly holding out as well.

Yeah I wonder.

Lots of talk about Cook possibly holding out as well.
You guys may be right given these sources. Makes me wonder what the point is of the rule changes. How many guys not on rookie contracts hold out? I don't know the answer, but it seems like a lot less than those on rookie deals. I assume a player on a 5th year option is still viewed to be on rookie contract.

Florio is a hack and mis-interprets the CBA all the time - I believe willingly in the pursuit of sensationalism.  The guy is a former lawyer that could peruse the CBA in a weekend and get definitive info but instead relies on "league sources" so he can write clickbait like this BS.  I haven't gone through it with a fine toothed comb but my initial scan indicates this is pure garbage.

Mixon does have one thing against him - but it's not a new provision of the CBA.  This is materially identical to the former CBA too:

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club’s preseason training camp on that player’s mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player there-after failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time,

This is important for Mixon because after this season he'll be a Free Agent but the type he'll be is determined by his Accrued Seasons.  In order to hit Unrestricted Free Agency he has to have four Accrued Seasons.  He currently has three so if he holds out he'll be a Restricted Free Agent next year instead.  That's a massive loss of leverage.  Ezekiel Elliott did not have this concern as he wasn't going to be a Free Agent in 2020 anyway, his 5th year option was in effect at that time so that would have counted for him had the holdout not succeeded.  Once a player has four accrued seasons the extras do small things like adjust seniority for minimum contract values/impacts and long-term health benefits but the Free Agency status is the holy grail here.

Users who are viewing this thread