What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (9 Viewers)

That’s a good point as well. Hopefully some people grow on us, but I feel the same way. The cast doesn’t grab me yet.
I think that’s where American survivor lacked in recent years.  It took many weeks to develop characters.  Australian survivor has 3 episodes a week which i believe are 90 minutes so they do it very quickly.   Most seasons i recall of our survivor it takes me a month or so to like the cast sometimes not until after the merge.  

I like the game twists and everyone having to work for needful things.  Players already whispering at TC, first day. Surprised neither tribe tried to count the triangles, but if you can sucker two guys (excuse me, survivors) to fetch pails of water while you relax... cool I guess.  

Another example of a player snitching on others and it backfiring. 

I think they tried too hard to find diversity, which isn’t surprising considering some of their past issues. I don’t mind it, but I think they went overboard with it. I mean they didn’t really respond properly to the sexual assault guy so now they want to look like they are a thought leader. Hey, add some diversity that you were lacking but make sure you don’t forget that you need the right personalities to create a little drama. I don’t think casting will go well when I would bet that the producers had some meetings saying, we need to have our first X winner. I think that we are seeing a bit more forced casting rather than organic let’s find some people who would make good TV and then make sure we get people from a lot of backgrounds from that group.

Yeah, this. I'm all for diversity, but not at the expense of good TV.  

https://parade.com/1117105/mikebloom/cbs-diversity-reality-tv/

Obviously there are plenty of "interesting" potential minority cast members out there.  And they should do everything to find those folks and get them in the mix.  But it just seems silly to make a hard quota of 50% mandatory.  Is it really the end of the world if you only hit 40% but get 2 more REALLY interesting people on the show instead?

And the whole "guys" conversation just seemed so incredibly forced.  Obviously Probst/CBS decided to get rid of it and just needed someone to say it was "wrong" on camera. The woman from the first segment wouldn't do it so they had to go round 2 with the flight attendant. (guessing a producer probably told him to bring it up again)  It certainly doesn't impact my enjoyment of the show at all, but I just cant believe people actually spend their time worrying about these sorts of things.

Are there really females (or non binary folks, or people who identify as female) who actually feel a mixed-gender group being casually addressed as "guys" on a TV show is some sort of discriminatory tactic?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you can't say guys now. Is it OK to say y'all. Something like come on in y'all? If not I'm in a lot of trouble cause I don't think I'd ever be able to stop that.

There definitely are.  We had HR training around it.  Honestly don’t think it’s a big deal omitting it.  Times change.  🤷‍♂️

I dont think its a "big deal". I just think that the way they did it was REALLY transparent and over the top.  He could have just as easily just stopped saying it and addressed it off camera (in an interview or his blog posts or whatever). Instead, they made a circus around it and forced one of the cast members to be "the bad guy" to people that really DO care.  I'm sure that gentleman is going to catch a ton of crap from ignorant people already (given the fact that he's gay with a pregnant transgender husband). But now they've also made him "the guy that made Probst stop saying "guys"".  (even after the queer woman specifically said that SHE was fine with it)

The whole exercise was absurd.  I get that they caught some major grief (and rightfully so) for the way they handled the Dan situation 2 years ago. But maybe just start doing the "right thing" (or just doing things better) without making some giant "LOOK AT US!!!" deal about it?   That seems a lot more noble to me. :shrug:

Instead, they made a circus around it and forced one of the cast members to be "the bad guy" to people that really DO care.

I assumed he was the one who complained about it in the first place.  I agree, though.  This all should have been done off camera. 

There definitely are.  We had HR training around it.  Honestly don’t think it’s a big deal omitting it.  Times change.  🤷‍♂️
I just find it funny how we let some words change with time, but with others, their literal or traditional meanings are "too important" and can't be ignored. 

I assumed he was the one who complained about it in the first place.  I agree, though.  This all should have been done off camera. 
No one complained. It was all Jeff to start. I assume none of them had met him before. It definitely is about them being called out so they made a scene out of it to look like the upstanding citizens. Kind of like a wolf starting a foundation for sheep to go to college after he’s eaten half of them. It did feel like the producers may have prodded the guy because they didn’t get the response from a woman.

No one complained. It was all Jeff to start. I assume none of them had met him before. It definitely is about them being called out so they made a scene out of it to look like the upstanding citizens. Kind of like a wolf starting a foundation for sheep to go to college after he’s eaten half of them. It did feel like the producers may have prodded the guy because they didn’t get the response from a woman.
I assumed he complained about it before the season began and they decided to address it on camera. I could be wrong of course. 

So you can't say guys now. Is it OK to say y'all. Something like come on in y'all? If not I'm in a lot of trouble cause I don't think I'd ever be able to stop that.
if you say "y'all", you are conveying the message that everyone is the same, equating one person with another person. this doesn't allow for diversity. shame on you.

and don't even think about saying "people". those who identify as cats will scratch your eyes out.

Maybe it's just me, but something was off in this episode.  Seeing the camera crews?  Seeing the contestant's back stories? The time devoted to the elimination of the word "guys"?  The meh contestants overall?  Just not sure.
For me, it was the flashback cuts to stuff that was just 15 minutes ago. Like JD's "Remember back all the way to yesterday, when I started fire? That was awesome!" and cut to a blurry dream-like reminiscence of the same footage we already saw a few minutes before.

Jeff is showrunner in addition to host and is very involved in the casting process. They had all met him before. There was no way this hadn't come up in the casting and/or pre-game process. 
Or CBS just received tweets about it (or something on social media) enough that they felt they should publicly address it to make sure everyone knows it was officially changed.

said to my wife during the puzzle that i though Sara was having a meltdown in real time and she would be the first contestant to quit, and within the first couple days. not voted out. just tap out.

also, enjoying that the cast doesn't seem like past years where it was clear they were trying to get "people who look like they belong on tv"/models/super fit young people, plug and play stock characters (gotta have the sassy black girl, the clueless meathead, the obviously over the top brainy guy, the overly emotional woman, the older motherly type, the token gay character, etc.),  people clearly in it to plug their social media/business.

these seem like actual average people for the most part. of course they all have a back story, but everyone does and of course CBS wants some emotional pull so they're picking people they can play up.

Why ask someone else first and why did he take a day to think about it more? Definitely seemed like a CBS scripted thing.
He explained that. He said he was all nervous in the opening moments of the game, but after he had a chance to think about it, he decided to speak up

BeTheMatch said:
He explained that. He said he was all nervous in the opening moments of the game, but after he had a chance to think about it, he decided to speak up
I know what he said. It just felt forced like they didn’t get the answer they wanted on camera on the boat so they gave him a nudge. It’s easy to do. During player in game interviews. So what did you think about what was said on the boat, yada yada. He sure didn’t seem concerned about it at all during game play. If there was a conversation with anyone about it, they probably add it in.

All I think is that it came from Jeff and team, not from a cast member. I was just replying to someone who said it started with Ricard. It’s not a coincidence that this year CBS made all those diversity changes and this year they finally decided to visit the term guys. It’s also not hard to realize how easy it would be to manipulate someone into speaking up. I mean Jeff already had the new phrase 100% ready as soon as he spoke up.

I know what he said. It just felt forced like they didn’t get the answer they wanted on camera on the boat so they gave him a nudge. It’s easy to do. During player in game interviews. So what did you think about what was said on the boat, yada yada. He sure didn’t seem concerned about it at all during game play. If there was a conversation with anyone about it, they probably add it in.

All I think is that it came from Jeff and team, not from a cast member. I was just replying to someone who said it started with Ricard. It’s not a coincidence that this year CBS made all those diversity changes and this year they finally decided to visit the term guys. It’s also not hard to realize how easy it would be to manipulate someone into speaking up. I mean Jeff already had the new phrase 100% ready as soon as he spoke up.
Well of course he had the new phrase ready to go. He was the one who asked the question from the start.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Well of course he had the new phrase ready to go. He was the one who asked the question from the start.
SMH. That’s what I said. I’m not sure what we are arguing. I’m saying this was all staged by the show folks including Jeff to act like they are thought leaders given their history. I disagreed above that Ricard came up with anything and I do think he was “influenced” to help Jeff actually make the change without a backlash. They have an offended person to point to instead of just making the change.

Out of all of the players, I think Shan, the Jamaican/Italian Pastor, really stood out for me as the most likable. Loved all of her confessionals and was cracking up to her evil background music schtick. She also seems to have positioned herself well in this game so far. I expect that we'll get a good combo of character and game play from her. 

SMH. That’s what I said. I’m not sure what we are arguing. I’m saying this was all staged by the show folks including Jeff to act like they are thought leaders given their history. I disagreed above that Ricard came up with anything and I do think he was “influenced” to help Jeff actually make the change without a backlash. They have an offended person to point to instead of just making the change.
Ricard, so far, seems to have a strong personality to me. I don't necessarily think he was influenced to speak up. It also doesn't bother me that they decided to get rid of the word "guys."  

I chuckled when Shan asked Genie who she wanted to vote out, and she said she didn't want to vote anybody out. She ended up voting for Ricard.

Out of all of the players, I think Shan, the Jamaican/Italian Pastor, really stood out for me as the most likable. Loved all of her confessionals and was cracking up to her evil background music schtick. She also seems to have positioned herself well in this game so far. I expect that we'll get a good combo of character and game play from her. 
I didn't like her at all. But I do agree that she will probably do really well this season.

I'm hoping there aren't too many more twists or cute tricks or advantages or whatever.....I miss the old days of straight good ol survivor.....idols and that's it....really glad there is no survivor "currency or coins" or whatever that was before....guess I can handle the dice thing, but let's get back to the basics.....survival and social skills...where catching fish and #### matters.....I'm not a huge fan of extra votes and stuff being played....sometimes those can be used to knock off superior players that wouldn't normally get the boot....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping there aren't too many more twists or cute tricks or advantages or whatever.....I miss the old days of straight good ol survivor.....idols and that's it....really glad there is no survivor "currency or coins" or whatever that was before....guess I can handle the dice thing, but let's get back to the basics.....survival and social skills...where catching fish and #### matters.....I'm not a huge fan of extra votes and stuff being played....sometimes those can be used to knock off superior players that wouldn't normally get the boot....
That ship sailed long ago. 

However, starting with S36, rice rations were reduced to make provider types more valuable, and this season's no rice/no flint if you lose rules are designed to take that even further. However, they aren't showing the actual effects of that on camp life much. Production seems to have this odd stance of wanting the people who do well with camp life to stay in the game, but not actually showing such camp life success much in the broadcast. 

I like Danny the NFL player, but he will have a target on his back for sure.

I just hope the show is interesting. Like others have said, CBS is just trying too hard to appear woke. I get the show has been haunted by the sexual harassment allegations in the past, but you can't just take a list of every possible gender, race and sexual orientation and then say "We need one of each." It has to be about how each character fits within the confines of the show and each other.  I half expected there to be a two minute moment after the vote, so each player could "process" their feelings about what happened. 

I love Survivor and will eagerly watch this year, but we don't need any more Probst stunts. He could have easily just changed the wording on his own and removed guys and probably 75% of the viewers wouldn't have known or cared. 

I have never seen Australian Survivor, so it looks like Paramount Plus it is......

But that's why they didn't do it that way.
right ....but why does everything have to be a big pink neon sign with an arrow pointing saying "look at me....I'm so woke"....can I get my round of applause please......does everybody think I am cool and non racist and gender sensitive and whatever else now....why do we have to make sure everybody knows how woke we are....why do we have to throw it in everybody's face....we act like we have to get some validation on our wokeness....like a stamp of approval on our forehead or flash our woke card or something....

right ....but why does everything have to be a big pink neon sign with an arrow pointing saying "look at me....I'm so woke"....can I get my round of applause please......does everybody think I am cool and non racist and gender sensitive and whatever else now....why do we have to make sure everybody knows how woke we are....why do we have to throw it in everybody's face....we act like we have to get some validation on our wokeness....like a stamp of approval on our forehead or flash our woke card or something....
Or maybe it was just an opportunity to create a discussion around a larger issue that probably should be discussed. And they've accomplished that, based on this thread anyway.

Or maybe it was just an opportunity to create a discussion around a larger issue that probably should be discussed. And they've accomplished that, based on this thread anyway.
not really why I tune in to watch survivor...lots of other places I can go and chase that if thats what I'm looking for....and not why I come to this thread...it kinda sucks it takes up thread space in here....other threads got it covered... lot of these messages have now been heard loud and clear....we get it....let's get on with the gameplay and quit force feeding agendas...

I like Danny the NFL player, but he will have a target on his back for sure.

I like him a lot, too.  Actually I found most of the cast more likable than it seems many of you did.  Seems like we're getting real game-play from them already, too, though that could be due to the more challenging setup for the season.

Enjoyed getting more of their backstories. 

Did not enjoy the "guys" crap.

Couldn't really understand getting rid of Abraham.

Maybe it's just me, but something was off in this episode.  Seeing the camera crews?  Seeing the contestant's back stories? The time devoted to the elimination of the word "guys"?  The meh contestants overall?  Just not sure.

I felt like they tried to hard to add as much diversity as possible. It seems half the cast is LGBTQ+ and another 2/3s or so is minority and then the rest Majority. I felt like they tried to jam it down of hey we are diverse. I get the elimination of the word guys as that's something a lot of businesses are trying to eliminate use wise in diversity training. 

really do like the new elements as the game itself was getting stale However I disagree with voting the two they voted off. I think a guy like Abraham is needed with a gam more physical and hopefully you can keep most of your tribe till they merge. He's a guy later who'd have a target on his back. I thought voting out Sarah was the wrong move when you got Brad there blatantly saying this or that person needs to go. I think JD is cool in that he's a super fan and I like his backstory but Jesus the way he's playing the game I'd have wanted him gone asap. He's IMHO a guy if you let stay in the game too long will find someway to weasel himself in with someone. Plus he has the extra vote now too. 

Some of the female are just flat out annoying like the Jamaican Italian girl. Heather I think has to be voted off. However the young PHD lesbian reminds me a lot of my Brothers current Girlfriend who's pretty cool and less annoying than this girl. She also looks a bit like her. I don't like the smaller cast but I think possible this was do to the Pandemic too. Be interesting to see if they change that the next season. 

I like the idea of losing your flint and stuff if you don't win the challenges. Puts more importance on them. Honestly can't believe that one girl could've find the idol that was in front of her face. I really like the Football player Darrel though. I think Xander is my dark horse right now and I like the Surgeneon as well. Nasir (I believe his name is) put a target on his back and made a huge mistake talking about his two tribe guys looking for idols. At least wait a little longer to see if they completed the sweat challenge before ratting them out.

Yeah, this. I'm all for diversity, but not at the expense of good TV.  

https://parade.com/1117105/mikebloom/cbs-diversity-reality-tv/

Obviously there are plenty of "interesting" potential minority cast members out there.  And they should do everything to find those folks and get them in the mix.  But it just seems silly to make a hard quota of 50% mandatory.  Is it really the end of the world if you only hit 40% but get 2 more REALLY interesting people on the show instead?

And the whole "guys" conversation just seemed so incredibly forced.  Obviously Probst/CBS decided to get rid of it and just needed someone to say it was "wrong" on camera. The woman from the first segment wouldn't do it so they had to go round 2 with the flight attendant. (guessing a producer probably told him to bring it up again)  It certainly doesn't impact my enjoyment of the show at all, but I just cant believe people actually spend their time worrying about these sorts of things.

Are there really females (or non binary folks, or people who identify as female) who actually feel a mixed-gender group being casually addressed as "guys" on a TV show is some sort of discriminatory tactic?

I also felt Ricardo or whatever his name is gay guy bringing it up seemed very forced. Like he said something off camera to some producer and they all decided to bring it up again. I get why he asked and most business in diversity training stress on subbing the word "guys" out for something different The last 2 yrs of diversity training we took at my work they had a hard line on this in the computer training courses. 

Users who are viewing this thread