What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

I drink a lot of water. More since I started the diet since every source says that it is important. I probably drink 3-4 bottles at work throughout the day (little ones, not the gallons)

I also drink seltzer at home but that is just water as well. 
If you are staying at 20 or below just keep at it and the water weight will regulate over time.  As for exercise, Chaka has me convinced to not do strenuous exercise when I’m full-blown Keto for weight loss.  Lots of walking and water.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are staying at 20 or below just keep at it and the water weight will regulate over time.  As for exercise, Chaka has me convinced to not do strenuous exercise when I’m full-blown Keto for weight loss.  Lots of walking and water.
When you say strenuous, what are you talking about. Yesterday I just did an ellipetical for 45 mins at moderate level. I def could have pushed and gone harder. 

I could just walk on a treadmill for the same time at 2.0 speed. Thoughts

When you say strenuous, what are you talking about. Yesterday I just did an ellipetical for 45 mins at moderate level. I def could have pushed and gone harder. 

@Chaka or @culdeus are better suited to answer your question but essentially moderate or high intensity exercise can sabotage your weight loss.  You aren’t that heavy, unless you are really short, so it probably isn’t as big a deal for you.  During round 1 of last years competition I maybe worked out 3 times - just walked and walked and walked.

Exercise on keto is somewhat controversial and not well understood.  Saying that, I don't think you are going to get yourself into trouble with either of those. 

Low impact stuff like yoga, walking, hiking, are all generally going to be ok.  Once you hit your groove I would consider throwing in some more total body resistance stuff.  (Like in 3 or 4 months, if you maintain momentum)

@Chaka or @culdeus are better suited to answer your question but essentially moderate or high intensity exercise can sabotage your weight loss.  You aren’t that heavy, unless you are really short, so it probably isn’t as big a deal for you.  During round 1 of last years competition I maybe worked out 3 times - just walked and walked and walked.
I am hobbit short

Will just walk for now

I am hobbit short

Will just walk for now
Good call. I agree with @AAABatteries and @culdeus. Determining the threshold where you cross from light/moderate activities of daily motion to "strenuous" is different for everyone. 

A heart rate monitor may be helpful, but I find them just inconvenient enough to make them, possibly, an additional barrier to consistency (particularly if you start charting your activity vs HR). IoW the more of a PITA something is the less likely you will do it consistently. So if you go that route just plan on doing the HR stuff until you get a feel for your personal thresholds (I judge my activity level based upon how profusely I am sweating).

I have the Nokia Steele HR (formerly Withings) and while I do keep a spreadsheet of my steps, I gave up cross referencing it with the HR data a long time ago because it was a PITA that yielded minimal benefit after awhile... actually I pretty much just use my phone for step tracking at this point.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Ok boys, need help. The Internet has so much stuff, it's overwhelming and I can't find answers. Looking for possible answers from people who have done it

Been on this since last Tuesday so one week exactly. I have been under 30 grams of carbs every day and since reading about my over eating of cashews, under 20 grams. 

A few days ago, I weighed in at 200.4. Yesterday i waa around 201. I have not counted my calories, but I know from general dieting experience that I have been at about 1500-1800. 

Decided I was going to start adding cardio today. Did 45 mins of moderate cardio. Jumped on the scale when I got home and it said 203. 

I seem to be going in the wrong direction. What say you. 
Daily weigh ins are irrevelant. Do 2x/week at most. 

Daily weigh ins are irrevelant. Do 2x/week at most. 
I like to go the other way.

Weigh in 3x a day. Then use a proprietary algorithm to extrapolate my 3 day moving average.

It's like weighing in 2x a week, but I get to tell people I'm hardcore. It's all the rage at my box right now. 

Ok boys, need help. The Internet has so much stuff, it's overwhelming and I can't find answers. Looking for possible answers from people who have done it

Been on this since last Tuesday so one week exactly. I have been under 30 grams of carbs every day and since reading about my over eating of cashews, under 20 grams. 

A few days ago, I weighed in at 200.4. Yesterday i waa around 201. I have not counted my calories, but I know from general dieting experience that I have been at about 1500-1800. 

Decided I was going to start adding cardio today. Did 45 mins of moderate cardio. Jumped on the scale when I got home and it said 203. 

I seem to be going in the wrong direction. What say you. 
Also, from my experience, it's very important to be strict in the beginning. No cheat meals/days/weekends. Get your body totally used to burning fat. I feel like this helped me and now when I do go party on the weekend and drink and eat more loosely than normal, I snap back into ketosis very quickly.

From Tuesday the 2nd until Monday the 8th I went from 215 to 225. Birthday parties, out with friends...etc 

Weighed last night (Which is always 3-4# higher for me) at 219. My body wants to burn fat for energy now it seems like. 

Ymmv 

Also, from my experience, it's very important to be strict in the beginning. No cheat meals/days/weekends. Get your body totally used to burning fat. I feel like this helped me and now when I do go party on the weekend and drink and eat more loosely than normal, I snap back into ketosis very quickly.

From Tuesday the 2nd until Monday the 8th I went from 215 to 225. Birthday parties, out with friends...etc 

Weighed last night (Which is always 3-4# higher for me) at 219. My body wants to burn fat for energy now it seems like. 

Ymmv 
It is frustrating not seeing the results on the scale. I felt like I lost much quicker on a regular caloric deficit diet. But I have not cheated one day since doing it and will stay with it. Im going to Iceland tomorrow but I imagine Ill find something with no carbs. 

Keto is more than just "less than X carbs". You should be measuring all your macros--fat and protein included, keeping them in balance, and also keeping a caloric deficit. 
Ah, well then ####

I dont even know what a macro is so that pretty much means I have been doing this wrong. 

If I need to do math on this thing, Im out
Don't need to do math, just need to log food.  Myfitnesspal app is perfect for this and has all the food pre-loaded so you don't need to look much up.  Within a week you will know what kind of foods you need to be heavy on, and what kind of foods need to be taken in moderation, and what kind of foods to avoid.  It might sound difficult, but it is no more difficult (I actually find it much easier) than straight calorie reduction/deficit.

Will start my fitness pal tomorrow. Although Iceland will be tricky. Will post next week after a few days of data to see what you think. 

Atkins has an app that you can use for Keto very easily too.  Can even scan most foods.  Counts your daily net carbs, fats, proteins.  Just search for Atkins in the app store.  I've been using it to track things since I started my low carb diet on January 2nd.  Down 15 lbs already.

Atkins has an app that you can use for Keto very easily too.  Can even scan most foods.  Counts your daily net carbs, fats, proteins.  Just search for Atkins in the app store.  I've been using it to track things since I started my low carb diet on January 2nd.  Down 15 lbs already.
Found an Android version called Carb Manager which does this as well.  Has a pretty large coverage on food and carb in-take, especially for Keto.

Quick update

Jumped on the scale and have lost about 11-12 pounds. Never really got a start weight because I didnt want to see it, but I know around where it was

So not bad. starting to miss some of the little things and having what the family is having. But I will stick with it a little longer

How quick do you drop out of ketosis. I have not cheated once. But if I eat 2 slices of pizza, do I start from scratch. Is there any wiggle room?

3 weeks into Operation Beer Belly Removal

I'm not a big guy but am happy to report 5-7 lb's ish success in a few weeks. Pants are looser, feeling good.

Question to you guys: heading on a week tropical vacation in two weeks. I plan to eat and drink a lot. Should I take any steps leading up to it?

3 weeks into Operation Beer Belly Removal

I'm not a big guy but am happy to report 5-7 lb's ish success in a few weeks. Pants are looser, feeling good.

Question to you guys: heading on a week tropical vacation in two weeks. I plan to eat and drink a lot. Should I take any steps leading up to it?
Just be as clean as you can before and after. Nothing on those days will help if your'e cutting lose, so prep for it and be very strict as soon as you can after imo. 

Just be as clean as you can before and after. Nothing on those days will help if your'e cutting lose, so prep for it and be very strict as soon as you can after imo. 
Thx. Guess I was more wondering healthwise if I should introduce some carbs here and there leading up to it to avoid feeling like crap once I start really eating.

If you have 2 slices of pizza you will have too many carbs in your system and your body will use them first. Therefore you are not burning fat you are storing it. This is not an on again off again way of eating.

I have been on this since Sept. 4th. I tried calorie in and out, tons of exercise and I gain it all back, tired, hungry...

Weight loss 41 lbs, Never hungry, No cravings, tons of energy and I still get to drink. 

If you have 2 slices of pizza you will have too many carbs in your system and your body will use them first. Therefore you are not burning fat you are storing it. This is not an on again off again way of eating.

I have been on this since Sept. 4th. I tried calorie in and out, tons of exercise and I gain it all back, tired, hungry...

Weight loss 41 lbs, Never hungry, No cravings, tons of energy and I still get to drink. 
Understood. 

My question was more of a hypothetical how much weight will I gain if I eat 2 slices of pizza and then how long til I get back into ketosis. 

I can not see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel more tired now than I have in a while. I passed out the last two nights at 9:00. I also feel hungry at times.

Understood. 

My question was more of a hypothetical how much weight will I gain if I eat 2 slices of pizza and then how long til I get back into ketosis. 

I can not see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel more tired now than I have in a while. I passed out the last two nights at 9:00. I also feel hungry at times.
Not eating enough fat is a real issue for noobs. It can be really hard to break that mental block vs fat. Ultimately they end up binging on pizza. (Yes 2 slices is a binge)  

Hey Acer,

You will not gain "weight" on two slices of pizza. 1 lb of fat is 3500 hundred calories. You body will break down the carbs in to glucose. Each one of those glucose cells hold water which makes the scale go up. Sorry i did not see how long you have been trying keto.  If you are tired AND  just starting out add salt( Salt everything) and eat some extra Protein (Google Keto flu). As far as getting back in to Ketosis...as soon as the body has no glucose to burn it will switch to fat as its main energy source. If you continuously start and stop Ketosis it can  restart the cravings and the Keto flu symptoms. Stick with it. Once the tiredness/Withdrawal/cravings are gone it is unreal how easy it is.

Why is there so much cauliflower in this diet?
:shrug:  It's versatile.  While it does have a distinct flavor, I think it does a good job of blending in with whatever you are making.  For instance, when we do "Chipotle Bowl's" at home, and use it in the cilantro lime "rice" it replaces the regular rice nicely.  

Seems like a pretty rigid diet to me.  I've been looking at it for the last 24 hours, but the amount of work you have to put in seems to outweigh the benefits.  I get the low carbs and eat protein and leafy vegetables.  That seems easy.  I start to lose interest with all the cauliflower, coconut oil, measuring your protein intake, measuring your net carb intake, etc.  Seems like overkill to me.

Why don't I just cut out carbs, eat some fish, pork, eggs, more vegetables, and exercise more?  How'd that be?

Seems like a pretty rigid diet to me.  I've been looking at it for the last 24 hours, but the amount of work you have to put in seems to outweigh the benefits.  I get the low carbs and eat protein and leafy vegetables.  That seems easy.  I start to lose interest with all the cauliflower, coconut oil, measuring your protein intake, measuring your net carb intake, etc.  Seems like overkill to me.

Why don't I just cut out carbs, eat some fish, pork, eggs, more vegetables, and exercise more?  How'd that be?
Im kind of with you and I have done it since January 2nd. 

It is not hard and I do not find myself constricted in what I can eat. It is the having to worry about if my balances are correct. If I dont eat enough fat or protein, I wont lose what i should even if my carbs are zero. Then when I start to think I have the knack and the pounds are coming off, I start to gain weight out of no where. The only thing I can think of is not being in balance

I don't find the diet rigid, although I'm not technically keto since I probably get 30-50 carbs on some days. I just cut back on my carbs drastically, eliminating almost all grains and sugars, with most of them coming from fruit in my smoothies, a bit of creamer in my coffee, some chocolate for dessert, etc. That's pretty much it, and I don't prevent myself from the occasional pizza or whatever other carb I want, I just keep it all to a minimum. For me the health changes make it easy, because when I first cut out the carbs I stopped having hearburn, intestinal issues, and bloating, and they all come back immediately if I have too many carbs for any extended period of time. I'm good with feeling a heck of a lot better, weighing a lot less (about 40 lbs so far), and knowing I can treat myself whenever i want to as long as I don't overdo it. 

It's not and it really only takes you about a month to find your groove. I haven't measured or counted anything (other than just looking at a label) in 10 months. 

This is me, minus the exercise more. With success.

Cut out:

Bread, Pasta, sugar, white potatoes, beans, rice, beer

Eat:

Everything else. Lots of proteins, vegetables, eggs, and cheese.

You don't have to be strict to keto rules to have success. Not once have I had cauliflower, coconut oil, or measured my intakes.

Never had cauliflower, hate it. Meat, veggies, nuts and cheese. I do measure out the nuts as they pack a ton of calories. Low carb, eat tons of protein and scattering nuts and cheese when hungry.

This is me, minus the exercise more. With success.

Cut out:

Bread, Pasta, sugar, white potatoes, beans, rice, beer

Eat:

Everything else. Lots of proteins, vegetables, eggs, and cheese.

You don't have to be strict to keto rules to have success. Not once have I had cauliflower, coconut oil, or measured my intakes.
Cool.  I'm going to go with this.  I don't want to measure ####.  Who has time for that?

:hifive:

What's everyone doing for the Superbowl? 

I should plug Jersey Mike's. The one near me is so good, always fresh and they do tubs. Bed of lettuce with any sandwich you want on top (minus bread). Meat is always freshly sliced on the spot 

Get the Italian Mike's Way and thank me later. 

https://i.imgur.com/uuV65pw.jpg

(it's a ton of meat, I usually only eat half of it due to the salt level and trace carbs in some lunch meats, but you won't leave hungry or ever miss the bread) 

I should plug Jersey Mike's. The one near me is so good, always fresh and they do tubs. Bed of lettuce with any sandwich you want on top (minus bread). Meat is always freshly sliced on the spot 

(it's a ton of meat, I usually only eat half of it due to the salt level and trace carbs in some lunch meats, but you won't leave hungry or ever miss the bread) 
Cheating.

Basically starting again on Feb 10.  Between moving this weekend, the Super Bowl, and a work trip to Florida next week, it is going to be easier to just take the next 10 days off.   I'll try to make decent choices, but convenience plays a big factor.  

4,000 calories of bacon a day won't help the guy. And it's sometimes hard to add fat without adding too many more calories or other things he doesn't want. I find it hard to make my fat totals, actually, without going over elsewhere too.

@AcerFC, I'd start out with two weeks of just keeping carbs below, like, 20g a day. Just get used to a low-carb diet and avoiding sugars. Ease into it. Then, give this calculator a whirl and see what you can do. Give it your data and see where your numbers should be. 

Then ballpark your meals. I found it helpful to calculate my macros the first week, get a feel for what my meals should look like, then go from there. I'm using 1500 calories, with a limit of 20g net carbs, a target of 95g protein, and 115g fat. For me, that was a couple of hardboiled eggs for breakfast, a chicken thigh for lunch with a spinach salad (spinach, shredded cheese, bell peppers, pepperoni, and a light dressing I found), some string cheese and a few olives in the afternoon for a snack, another chicken thigh and salad for dinner. Because chicken thighs were on sale I have a big package of them... but I don't have them every day. But once I got a sense for what the right amount of food looked like, I'll swap in steak, pork chops, whatever. 

It helps to know what's going in. Roughly. Some people are super-fanatical and weigh everything and track it all minute-by-minute. That's probably going too far. But have an idea of what your targets should be, and have a sense of where you are on those targets. Once you get used to it, it's not that tough.
After seeing the highest number on the scale I've seen in 6+ years, I finally jumped into the Keto pool this week.  I'm an endurance runner (but not built like one, obviously), and the LCHF approach has worked well for a lot of ultramarathoners so it's something I've wanted to try.  

I just read Sisson's Keto Reset Diet, and he advocates a 21-day pre-keto phase of basically lower carb, primal eating.  But I'm typically relatively low carb compared to SAD, and I do a lot of fasted endurance runs already so I skipped that and headed right into what I plan to be a 6-week keto phase, revisiting where I am at that point.  I downloaded the premium MyFitnessPal, I've never tracked food before so that's been interesting.  I also used the calculator you linked to come up with the basic framework that ties into my weight loss goals (set for "Moderate Deficit: Fast weight loss with moderate difficulty.").  

I started on Monday and so far the only problem I'm having is getting enough fat.  I'm a bit limited in that I don't do eggs or nuts and don't like avocado, and those are all obviously staples of this thing.  So through three days I've been able to hit my carb and protein goals (Sisson is pretty adamant about keeping protein in the .7-1g per lb of lean body mass), but am well under that fat goal every day so I've been 500, 1,400, and 800 calories short on those days so far - and that's with 200-400 calories of booze each day included.  I'm not feeling hungry, in fact I have forced myself to eat a bit at times each day which doesn't seem to make sense.  But I know I need to get that fat intake up.  Suggestions?

In three days I've gone from 207.2 to 199.9. Now that 207 was basically a 4-5 pound gain over where I've been for the past few weeks due to a week of business travel (crappy hotel food and all the booze), so I know most of this early loss is water and flushing out some inflammation.  But my body comp scale has shown a reduction in fat as well, which is encouraging obviously.  I'm going to continue my running but keep it very aerobic for this next 6 weeks (based on HR).  Effectively I'm looking to shed 25 more pounds in about 19 weeks, putting me at a goal weight of 175 pounds 6 weeks out from my goal race of the year.  I haven't weighed that since probably high school, but I was down to around 178 last June for my key race.

tl:dr:  Feel good three days in, but how do I get more fat in without eggs/nuts/avocado?

My wife has been trying to help me out. Last week she made pizza from almond flour and cauliflower mashed potato stuff. Both were good. Last night I had spaghetti squash for the first time. That was good as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread