What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ozark on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Kinda interesting that Omar puts up with Javi messing with the Byrds. He's the boss. You would think he could put his nephew in check.

Also, do you think Omar has other "Byrds" in other locations doing the same thing? He seems to spend a lot of time and energy on them.
I thought the whole premise of the Ozarks was for Marty to handle the bulk of the Cartel's money.

Kinda interesting that Omar puts up with Javi messing with the Byrds. He's the boss. You would think he could put his nephew in check.

Also, do you think Omar has other "Byrds" in other locations doing the same thing? He seems to spend a lot of time and energy on them.
Because he doesn't want to raise any suspicions. He is running business as usual. 

I just don't understand what Javi plan was..... the operations were running pretty smoothly for the most part - lets kill the sheriff when he shows up

I like your PI scenario. My memory sucks but would like to know if any screen time had Marty and the PI talking with nobody else around. That would certainly make that scenario not likely but if not it’s defiantly in play.  
There were definitely scenes with Marty and the Sattem talking with, for instance, Wendy or Charlotte in the background but I'd have to go rewatch to see if they ever have a moment where they're truly alone and everyone else is out of earshot.  

I do like this theory though, that Marty is the one that hired him.  And it could even be a scenario where Sattem was "activated" by some agent/boss and he doesn't even know that Marty is the one that hired him, in which case Marty wouldn't tip him off either. 

I thought it was a little odd how casually Omar would talk on the phone about leaving or working with the FBI in front of his other cartel guys. Not Javi, but it sure seems like one of the randoms could have easily overheard him and ratted him out.

I just don't understand what Javi plan was..... the operations were running pretty smoothly for the most part - lets kill the sheriff when he shows up
Marty had told him that the sheriff was in the Snell's pocket, and it was either hindering his operations or wouldn't allow him to threaten Darlene to shut down operations. I forget which, but that was why Javi killed the sheriff.

Marty had told him that the sheriff was in the Snell's pocket, and it was either hindering his operations or wouldn't allow him to threaten Darlene to shut down operations. I forget which, but that was why Javi killed the sheriff.
Oh I know.... He just jumped the gun imo but I guess thats the point of his character, impatience

Is the PI guy working for Omar? Somehow Omar knew where the Byrd kids were and they showed the PI guy watching them at the cemetery. 

ericttspikes said:
Is the PI guy working for Omar? Somehow Omar knew where the Byrd kids were and they showed the PI guy watching them at the cemetery. 
I was also wondering how Omar got the info about the kids location.  I must have missed the PI watching them.  Was Omar aware of the cemetery stash at all from previous events?   I think I need to rewatch a couple episodes.

I was also wondering how Omar got the info about the kids location.  I must have missed the PI watching them.  Was Omar aware of the cemetery stash at all from previous events?   I think I need to rewatch a couple episodes.
AFAIK the only other person outside of the Byrdes that knew about the cemetery stash is Ruth, because Marty took her there to get the cash to buy back the heroin to sell to Shaw. 

Not sure if he was aware of the stash before, but he knew they were holed up there with a shotgun. PI guy also got Maya's cell number somehow. I guess that's what PI's do, but the only people who had her number were Marty and Omar. Looking forward to find out the story of the PI. If he's not involved with Omar maybe Marty hired him? 

Darlene just shotgun blasting anyone that got on her nerves mad me laugh. :lmao:

With Del is was actually the right decision.

Had Del lived, he would have forced Marty to keep pushing and keep building new local alliances until Darlene and Jacob could have been replaced, then there would be no reason to leave them alive.

One of the best arguments against Del having the desire to kill Marty in the pilot episode is that Del was actually in worse trouble for the theft than anyone else. It was long standing/long running scam against the Cartel. And Del let it happen.

Del's character was built to constantly test people. Test their limits, hence the parable about the elderly cashier who stole money from the register to pay for her son's medicine. Only Marty said to fire her and never look back. The rest rationalized the behavior. Why kill Marty too when you can give him another week or so to see what you can squeeze out of him.

As soon as Marty's old partner Bruce saw Del in the pilot episode, he should have already been prepared to run and already been armed to the teeth and should have immediately started shooting. Bruce's major mistake was getting involved in the first place. If he chose that path, then he should have had a fallback plan/run package prepared. Then he needed to face the reality that one day he'd have to shoot his way out.

So Darlene was correct, or maybe she was accidentally right. Disrespect in that line of work is the same thing as announcing they are going to kill you very soon.

The "correct" decision with Del would have been to gut shoot him, then put him in a van full of fertilizer and take him to a big city and in a very public and crowded place. Use Del's phone to send in threats. Then trigger it.

Now the Navarro Cartel is a priority for enacting terrorism on US soil. They would be too busy fighting US Special Forces and the DEA to have time for small time gangsters in the Ozarks. Make no mistake, under that scenario, the DEA, FBI, DHS, US SOCOM and all the rest would start executing every last Cartel member they could find.

Frank Sr was stupid ( now you know where his son's temper comes from), he uttered a threat that was pointless. If you are going to kill her, then kill her.

This is where Javi the nephew is somewhat capable. Javi knows he's no genius and no long game tactician. Easier to just start killing people and keep killing them until the board is clear.

AFAIK the only other person outside of the Byrdes that knew about the cemetery stash is Ruth, because Marty took her there to get the cash to buy back the heroin to sell to Shaw. 

Ruth knew about the stash long before that - I am pretty sure she used to make drops for Marty there.

I had totally avoided spoilers for this season, to the extent that I had no idea that E7 wasn't the finale.

That kind of sucked.

I had totally avoided spoilers for this season, to the extent that I had no idea that E7 wasn't the finale.

That kind of sucked.
I didn't realize that either. Around E5, I kept thinking there is no way they wrap this up in 7.  But the body count kept climbing...

Didn’t realize until I saw the last two episodes that Robin Wright directed both. Seems like she’s got another highly promising role in the business.

I didn't realize that either. Around E5, I kept thinking there is no way they wrap this up in 7.  But the body count kept climbing...
I know!  That "last" episode kept feeling like a finale because it did tie up some of the characters' storylines (obviously), and then all the sudden the credits just rolled.

I'm sure somebody out there has written about this much better than I can, but I love what this show does with gender roles.  With a fairly small number of exceptions, it seems like nearly all the male characters are bumblers who spend most of their time playing iterations of whose-is-bigger without really accomplishing a whole lot.  The female characters, on the other hand, are absolutely ruthless and vicious in advancing their personal interests and/or their family's interests.  Hell, even the lady FBI agent is a Person Of Action in contrast to everybody else in that corner of the world.  

IMHO the "Marty hired the PI" theory is absolute nonsense, but that's just me.

Anyway, didn't someone have Helen's husband assaulted?  Seems like he had plenty of reasons to get a divorce done ASAP.  Hiring a PI to track Helen down and get a signature seems like an Occam's razor answer.

I'm sure somebody out there has written about this much better than I can, but I love what this show does with gender roles.  With a fairly small number of exceptions, it seems like nearly all the male characters are bumblers who spend most of their time playing iterations of whose-is-bigger without really accomplishing a whole lot.  The female characters, on the other hand, are absolutely ruthless and vicious in advancing their personal interests and/or their family's interests.  Hell, even the lady FBI agent is a Person Of Action in contrast to everybody else in that corner of the world.  
A lot of motherly story lines developed through the series. I recall from an article back last summer we were supposed to get introduced to Omar's sister, Javi's mom. I am guessing she will settle into a prominent role in the 2nd half of this season as the Navarro family dynamics play out.  

Didn’t realize until I saw the last two episodes that Robin Wright directed both. Seems like she’s got another highly promising role in the business.
She directed ten episodes of House of Cards.

Apparently, she was one of the few people who didn't take any crap from Kevin Spacey. 

Not sure if he was aware of the stash before, but he knew they were holed up there with a shotgun. PI guy also got Maya's cell number somehow. I guess that's what PI's do, but the only people who had her number were Marty and Omar. Looking forward to find out the story of the PI. If he's not involved with Omar maybe Marty hired him? 
Didn’t he give Maya his card? Maybe she called him first. Or maybe she’s the one that hired him.

My prediction: Ruth's going to end up killing Wendy to save Marty.  Marty and the kids escape to the Gold Coast of Australia under new identities. Marty and the kids all realize how bat-#### crazy and dangerous Wendy is, and consider her death "breakage". 

My prediction: Ruth's going to end up killing Wendy to save Marty.  Marty and the kids escape to the Gold Coast of Australia under new identities. Marty and the kids all realize how bat-#### crazy and dangerous Wendy is, and consider her death "breakage". 
Not sure if that is how it plays out, but I don't see Wendy surviving till the very end.  I think Ruth survives for show as I think they are setting her up to be this show's Jessie Pinkman, the bad person who seems less bad because of their surroundings and the one being emotionally devastated by everything going on, and I don't see their end game being to kill off Marty.  

Not sure if that is how it plays out, but I don't see Wendy surviving till the very end.  I think Ruth survives for show as I think they are setting her up to be this show's Jessie Pinkman, the bad person who seems less bad because of their surroundings and the one being emotionally devastated by everything going on, and I don't see their end game being to kill off Marty.  
Agree that I think Ruth will survive in the "Pinkman"-type role.  

What?  I've watched s4 1-7.  Is there more than 7 episodes?
I was confused by Ivan’s wording too.  I thought they dropped more episodes.  Season 4 Part 1 is 7 episodes and it ends there with 7 more to go in part 2 - and those have not been released.

If S4 Part 2 is released after May 31, then Part 1 will be eligible for Emmy nominations in one year, and Part 2 in the next year, so I would expect Part 2 to be released sometime this summer.

S1 Ep1 premiered July 17, 2017, so having the last 7 episodes premiere around the same time five years later seems like it would make sense.

If S4 Part 2 is released after May 31, then Part 1 will be eligible for Emmy nominations in one year, and Part 2 in the next year, so I would expect Part 2 to be released sometime this summer.

S1 Ep1 premiered July 17, 2017, so having the last 7 episodes premiere around the same time five years later seems like it would make sense.
So long to wait  :cry:

I was thinking about this the other day - no spoilers for this season - but when you add up the number of deaths surrounding the Byrdes, its an astounding number over such a short period of time.

But, then I think - Marty was laundering money for the cartel for 10 years, with seemingly only 1 death - his predecessor - in that time.  

I mean, that really escalated quickly.

The therapist who bought herself a bright yellow McLaren with blackmail money was also killed.  But yeah, pretty small number considering.

My guess is that the opening scene of the season was not an “accident”. Someone was using the semi truck as a weapon to take out the Byrdes. 

Still have one episode left so need to be careful. Noticed that Robin Wright (Princess Bride, House of Cards, etc) directed 2nd to last episode. That’s kind of crazy. 

My guess is that the opening scene of the season was not an “accident”. Someone was using the semi truck as a weapon to take out the Byrdes. 
Doubt that unless they can explain how they timed the semi pulling out the second the Byrdes were passing.  

It they ended on that note then that plot point would be a weak McGuffin and a terrible way to end a great series IMHO.

Doubt that unless they can explain how they timed the semi pulling out the second the Byrdes were passing.  

It they ended on that note then that plot point would be a weak McGuffin and a terrible way to end a great series IMHO.
The wife and I firmly believe it’s somehow a way to fake their deaths. 

BigJohn said:
Then why were they surprised by the truck?  Also, why take that risk - that looked bad enough where one of them could actually die.  I’m onboard with the idea of them faking their own deaths but not in that way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
BigJohn said:
No way that the whole family would be in the car for that accident if they were planning on faking their deaths. The kids, for sure, would be safely in a 2nd vehicle, and fake bodies put in the car afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread