What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ozark on Netflix (1 Viewer)

By the end of the series they were politically connected while also having the backing of a powerful cartel. I mean you did watch the last episode where they held that big fundraiser and were going to move onto being "king makers" in the political arena or didn't you?

I mean Wendy Bird basically laid out what I said to the Chicago cop right before he gets shot.
The cartel had money, power, fear, and control for decades. The pharma company had multi-billion clout. The Snell's had the most land in the state (and drug money to burn). The feds even had their hands on the Byrdes to determine outcomes. Other politicians in the show came from money or had abundant wealth. The Byrdes had none of that for the entire series run. 

If you want to say they "won" in the end and earned the right from that point forward to become one of those families moving forward, sure, I could buy into that. But they didn't have any privilege or special standing throughout the show. They weren't royalty or blue bloods. But they weren't rich and powerful. They were pawns.

If we want to project their lives moving forward past the point where the series ended, I guess they could be on track to potentially become one of those families with heavy influence. But they are a long way from amassing a huge bank roll. IMO, they were still a long way from being dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking rich (to cite Warrant).

If we want to project their lives moving forward past the point where the series ended, I guess they could be on track to potentially become one of those families with heavy influence. But they are a long way from amassing a huge bank roll. IMO, they were still a long way from being dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking rich (to cite Warrant).
I think you may have missed the point but that's fine. By the end of the series they were already there - they were already rich and powerful in many arenas. It's ok we'll agree to disagree.  

The cartel had money, power, fear, and control for decades. The pharma company had multi-billion clout. The Snell's had the most land in the state (and drug money to burn). The feds even had their hands on the Byrdes to determine outcomes. Other politicians in the show came from money or had abundant wealth. The Byrdes had none of that for the entire series run. 
Wendy was able to manipulate all of them in some way or another. As the seasons grew, so did Wendy's confidence and power of manipulation. She went from someone who didn't want to go to the Ozarks, to one of the most ruthless players. She knew how to work people, and she would do anything to achieve the outcome she wanted. 

Last edited by a moderator:

If you want to say they "won" in the end and earned the right from that point forward to become one of those families moving forward, sure, I could buy into that. But they didn't have any privilege or special standing throughout the show. They weren't royalty or blue bloods. But they weren't rich and powerful. They were pawns.

Being a cartel family or billion dollar pharma company wasn't the goal.  It was to get out from underneath the cartel and the FBI.  They did that by finalizing their deal with Camila.  The gala attracted big-ticket donors, even some the never figured on, so they can go back to Chicago and live out their days as the charitable owners of a massive non-profit organization. They don't ever want anything to do with the Cartel, and the only relationship they will have with big pharma is accepting donations if they are handing them out.

Exactly!

This was the whole point in the ending, I think.  And note this isn't my original idea here, but I read a pretty good article afterwards that said this looked like what they were going for.  It was an allegory on the American political/societal situation in these kind of scenarios.  The little guys lose (Ruth, Mel), while the oligarchs win.  They actually went kind of heavy handed on it in the last scene where Wendy kept saying "people like us win, people like you lose", and with Mel mentioning the Kochs and Kennedy's by name.
Wife and I finally got to the end, which we liked a lot because of this angle and how it showed the Byrds post-wreck going all-in with each other and to become an American oligarchy….maybe similar in ways to what other families had done in the past to get there.

At the behest of someone I know I watched S1 and 2. Those are both good, but I've seen alot to know it goes full off in the weeds from here and S3 is especially bad based on what I can see in the wild.

If skipping all of S3 is there a point to jump in the end of S4 just to see how it all wraps up?

At the behest of someone I know I watched S1 and 2. Those are both good, but I've seen alot to know it goes full off in the weeds from here and S3 is especially bad based on what I can see in the wild.

If skipping all of S3 is there a point to jump in the end of S4 just to see how it all wraps up?
Season 3 was very good, and it introduces Wendy's brother Ben into the mix.

The last season was a bit weak but I enjoyed the whole run. Don't skip.

Season 3 was very good, and it introduces Wendy's brother Ben into the mix.

The last season was a bit weak but I enjoyed the whole run. Don't skip.
:goodposting: Don't skip.

Watch them all. There aren't that many and they fly by. It's not like they are 22 episode seasons like the old days of shows.

Where did you see that S3 was "especially bad"? S3 was the best of the 4 in my opinion..by a large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread