What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (3 Viewers)

I thought his lack of involvement during the dress rehearsal was very odd. But then when he wasn't used in game 4 of the preseason I got the distinct feeling that they were keeping him under wraps. He's no doubt going to be involved although I'm not quite sure how much. 

Moonlight said:
He will cut some into Howard's carries/passing opportunities. Chicago didn't have any other competent RBs last year. But very light RBs like Cohen are situational weapons and not much of a threat at things like goal line work, closing out games. Cohen seems dynamic and will serve as a bigger threat in the passing game as a receiver but in pass protection he's at risk at being run over.
He's actually a pretty good blocker. But I don't see him eating into Howard's numbers. 

Howard is my keeper. Is this guy the handcuff or strictly just change of pace guy? No way he'd be a bellcow if Howard got injured would he?

Don't know if I should target him late. Drafting soon.

Howard is my keeper. Is this guy the handcuff or strictly just change of pace guy? No way he'd be a bellcow if Howard got injured would he?

Don't know if I should target him late. Drafting soon.
Howard is my keeper as well. At the moment I have Burkhead, Kamara and Breida rostered over Cohen. If Howard were to ever go down Cohen would see an uptick in touches but still likely split with Cunningham. I'm on the fence - I could see myself rostering him, possibly over Breida, but I don't view it as a priority. I'm also not a huge fan of hancuffing my own players unless it's clear that said handcuff would slot right in and produce similarly. I'm in the business of rostering other people's handcuffs.

Howard is my keeper as well. At the moment I have Burkhead, Kamara and Breida rostered over Cohen. If Howard were to ever go down Cohen would see an uptick in touches but still likely split with Cunningham. I'm on the fence - I could see myself rostering him, possibly over Breida, but I don't view it as a priority. I'm also not a huge fan of hancuffing my own players unless it's clear that said handcuff would slot right in and produce similarly. I'm in the business of rostering other people's handcuffs.
Thanks. Good stuff. 

I thought about Kamara too but I'm counting 4 pretty good guys in that backfield. Too many mouths to feed!

Time will tell, but I don't see Cohen as a true handcuff because of his non-prototypical size at the position. This is not to say short guys can't be stars in the NFL (MJD anyone?) or that lighter backs can't stand up to the rigors of the role (hello, Warrick Dunn). But the combination of Cohen's size/weight (5'6, 179) puts him in a class of player whose probability of standing up the rigors of a 3-down back in the NFL is less favorable.

The comparison to backs like Sproles and McCluster is apt -- Cohen's skill set and talent can make him an asset on any down, using his combination of speed and elusiveness (some owing to his size) to pull off creative plays as a back or receiver. But I don't think Cohen is a guy who has the power/type of game to be able to consistently run through the tackles or have consistent success running north/south.

As such, I think the way Cohen can eat into Howard's carries is as others have outlined -- with a need for a spark as teams simply stack the box against what looks like an anemic pass game for CHI this year, Cohen should be given opportunities to move the chains.

But though Howard may lose some touches to Cohen, I see the amount of volume that's coming Howard's way not changing significantly, and I don't see that Cohen would be the sole answer for CHI's backfield if Howard goes down with injury.

Thanks. Good stuff.

I thought about Kamara too but I'm counting 4 pretty good guys in that backfield. Too many mouths to feed!
I own Ingram in that league which skews it in Kamara's favor, it's also full ppr. I want a monopoly on the pass catching RBs in that backfield. Also, if you're counting Cadet as the 4th guy he was cut.

Still, even if I didn't have Ingram I still think Kamara is rosterable as someone who can potentially inherit the Bush role in that offense. I'd still likely roster him over Cohen in a vacuum.

I own Ingram in that league which skews it in Kamara's favor, it's also full ppr. I want a monopoly on the pass catching RBs in that backfield. Also, if you're counting Cadet as the 4th guy he was cut.

Still, even if I didn't have Ingram I still think Kamara is rosterable as someone who can potentially inherit the Bush role in that offense. I'd still likely roster him over Cohen in a vacuum.
Oh yes. Didn't realize Cadet got cut. Interesting. 

Time will tell, but I don't see Cohen as a true handcuff because of his non-prototypical size at the position. This is not to say short guys can't be stars in the NFL (MJD anyone?) or that lighter backs can't stand up to the rigors of the role (hello, Warrick Dunn). But the combination of Cohen's size/weight (5'6, 179) puts him in a class of player whose probability of standing up the rigors of a 3-down back in the NFL is less favorable.

The comparison to backs like Sproles and McCluster is apt -- Cohen's skill set and talent can make him an asset on any down, using his combination of speed and elusiveness (some owing to his size) to pull off creative plays as a back or receiver. But I don't think Cohen is a guy who has the power/type of game to be able to consistently run through the tackles or have consistent success running north/south.

As such, I think the way Cohen can eat into Howard's carries is as others have outlined -- with a need for a spark as teams simply stack the box against what looks like an anemic pass game for CHI this year, Cohen should be given opportunities to move the chains.

But though Howard may lose some touches to Cohen, I see the amount of volume that's coming Howard's way not changing significantly, and I don't see that Cohen would be the sole answer for CHI's backfield if Howard goes down with injury.
Well said, all around.

Watching Cohen brings back memories of Sproles at the peak of his powers.  I hope the Bears coaching staff use him for what they should.

:yes: as much as I've liked Cohen, it would be really surprising to see him as a 300 carry back. 200 touches without having a huge impact on Howard and you're right that he would not be a plug into Howard's role.

If Cohen touches the ball 200 times that would have to come at the expense of Howard. I don't think the math checks out there.

Tarik Cohen rushed five times for 66 yards and caught 8-of-12 targets for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' Week 1 loss to Atlanta.

Not only did Cohen rip off several highlight-reel plays including a tackle-breaking, field-reversing 46-yard run and a wheel route for a 19-yard score, he led the Bears in targets and was only narrowly out-touched by Jordan Howard, 16-13. Howard didn't help himself by dropping the would-be game-winning touchdown catch on Chicago's final drive. Cohen is going to be one of the hottest pickups in fantasy this week. He looks to have already earned a near-even timeshare with Howard, and passing-game competitor Benny Cunningham left this game with an injury.

I love this kid.......watched him play today....another Sproles type of player and he will be on the field a lot for this Bears team.....no doubt. Howard is the guy...but Cohen will play more and more.

Also Howard dropped a sure fire TD for a Bears win......it was a bad drop. He will be thinking about it all week no doubt. Probably cost his team a win this week.

Cohen will be the hottest pick up in redraft leagues (he was not drafted in mine).

Last edited by a moderator:
White down, Benny down...this guy and Howard are both a go this season. 

Glad I snagged him in almost every dynasty for $1 this offseason.

I thought Howard is the centerpiece.
I will be interested to see the snap counts. Cohen was on the field a lot, even on first downs. I have both Howard and Cohen, and after today not sure what to do. Tough to keep Cohen on the bench after seeing how they are using him. 

:yes: as much as I've liked Cohen, it would be really surprising to see him as a 300 carry back. 200 touches without having a huge impact on Howard and you're right that he would not be a plug into Howard's role.

If Cohen touches the ball 200 times that would have to come at the expense of Howard. I don't think the math checks out there.
BF wrote exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the above. 

Absolutely. He's the centerpiece of the offense. It's a bad offense but still. 

He is but it's a very good 1-2 punch...I think we see that wildcat with Tarik and Howard a lot in the red zone this year
:yes: it's somewhat unorthodox but you want your best players on the field.

Big :thumbup:  to Waldman for inspiring to me to grab this guy everywhere I could.  Too bad in the league I needed him the most he was locked. 

BF wrote exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the above. 

:yes: it's somewhat unorthodox but you want your best players on the field.
Big thanks to you for posting abt him in my out of nowhere players thread I started. Don't have much at RB in that league but I just hit a nice PPR player off waivers because of your post

He looks great, but I can't believe he could be a feature back that could get 220 + carries and roughly 300 total touches. The Bears have something with him and Howard though and I believe they both hold value on their own. I think this is a poor mans Freeman and Coleman. Not because of talent though, because there is nothing else offensively for the Bears.

I heard his nickname is "Chicken Salad" because he makes something out of nothing.  Make it stick.  

Finally got to see his highlights, should get a ton of the same dump offs and will break some of them into long gains. Bad thing is it seems with him being so short that a lot of the tackles on him are pretty high on him, hopefully he can avoid any injuries. Loved his TD tho, just lowered that shoulder and used all 180 pounds to make sure to get in

Users who are viewing this thread