What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (4 Viewers)

I'm thinking 37%... my ww is bare. not desperate for a rb but this is one of those you pass on and then kick yourself
Sounds about right. Wouldn't be surprised if the David Johnson owner took a shot at Cohen over the ??? as his backup (considering injury length to DJ of course).

Finally got to see his highlights, should get a ton of the same dump offs and will break some of them into long gains. Bad thing is it seems with him being so short that a lot of the tackles on him are pretty high on him, hopefully he can avoid any injuries. Loved his TD tho, just lowered that shoulder and used all 180 pounds to make sure to get in
guy has been playing football for a long time with that size. it isn't like he lost inches recently, i am sure he knows how to play at his size, and he can follow a Darren Sproles blueprint, hopefully even more since the Bears certainly will have to lean on him

I will be interested to see the snap counts. Cohen was on the field a lot, even on first downs. I have both Howard and Cohen, and after today not sure what to do. Tough to keep Cohen on the bench after seeing how they are using him.
38 snaps for Howard, 28 for Cohen.

Howard was utilized 18 times (13 carries, 5 targets) and Cohen was utilized 17 times (5 carries, 12 targets).

I thought Cohen looked really good in the game vs Atlanta.

He is quick, has good change of direction ability, catches the ball well and shows a surprising amount of power for a smaller player. Really good pad level and leverage when meeting tacklers that allows him to break tackles at times or at least gain extra yards after contact.

took him 310 overall in deep league -- debating keeping him or selling high to the Howard owner this week  (is straight-up for Golden Tate a legit offer to make?) 

took him 310 overall in deep league -- debating keeping him or selling high to the Howard owner this week  (is straight-up for Golden Tate a legit offer to make?) 
It's a fine offer. You'll probably find strong feelings on either side, but if you think Cohen won't continue the success he had this week (that's why you're selling high), Tate seems a reasonable target.  

Finally got to see his highlights, should get a ton of the same dump offs and will break some of them into long gains. Bad thing is it seems with him being so short that a lot of the tackles on him are pretty high on him, hopefully he can avoid any injuries. Loved his TD tho, just lowered that shoulder and used all 180 pounds to make sure to get in
Don't be misled by the low yards per reception, his pass receiving ability is a lot more advanced then being a dump off guy.  One play in particular yesterday he lined up as a receiver and just narrowly filed to come down with what would have been a long TD.  I think a lot of his receptions are what I'd call game planned, not second-fourth type of read..

Don't be misled by the low yards per reception, his pass receiving ability is a lot more advanced then being a dump off guy.  One play in particular yesterday he lined up as a receiver and just narrowly filed to come down with what would have been a long TD.  I think a lot of his receptions are what I'd call game planned, not second-fourth type of read..
 I wasn't intending to have that come off as a bad thing. More of a I see him having a good chance to getting at least 5 catches a game because of the dump offs and then hopefully he turns 1 of those into a big gain

I wasn't intending to have that come off as a bad thing. More of a I see him having a good chance to getting at least 5 catches a game because of the dump offs and then hopefully he turns 1 of those into a big gain
All good, not my intention to frame you as saying such, just clarifying for those who might not have watched that game.

He went for $211 (out of $1000) before week 1 in my FFPC league so you might have to spend up.  
Thanks. I can see someone spending 100% in my league. I'm not willing to do that.

I'm curious how much of this was the fact that Chicago is just about out of WRs... I imagine they bring in some FAs, and that could take away from Cohen's workload potentially... but it seems like he's been doing this since preseason already. I will probably up my % to 40 or so and see what happens... Again, I'm not desperate for a RB like some in my league but my depth is very questionable with Lacy (RB4) looking ready for the geriatric ward.

Thanks. I can see someone spending 100% in my league. I'm not willing to do that.

I'm curious how much of this was the fact that Chicago is just about out of WRs... I imagine they bring in some FAs, and that could take away from Cohen's workload potentially... but it seems like he's been doing this since preseason already. I will probably up my % to 40 or so and see what happens... Again, I'm not desperate for a RB like some in my league but my depth is very questionable with Lacy (RB4) looking ready for the geriatric ward.
I think Cohen gets used a lot because he's the biggest spark the offense has.  Howard is a really good RB but Cohen has that home run threat.  I have a feeling Cohen will be used like he was yesterday in pretty much every game.  You'll see him alone in the backfield, with Howard in the backfield and split out as a WR.

I think Cohen gets used a lot because he's the biggest spark the offense has.  Howard is a really good RB but Cohen has that home run threat.  I have a feeling Cohen will be used like he was yesterday in pretty much every game.  You'll see him alone in the backfield, with Howard in the backfield and split out as a WR.
That'd be great news. Here's hoping I'll land him but I'm not so sure I will... just not willing to completely empty my FAAB... 
I'm sure by tomorrow night I'll have increased my bid by a ton... now watch, the next highest guy has like 12% :lol:  

another concern of mine is the eventual take over of Trubisky... does that impact this at all? I've seen QBs latch on to WRs/RBs/TEs and then a QB switch happens and that player is almost nonexistent... 

Agreed, I said this earlier, and I don't say it for hyperbolic effect, I think he is the centerpiece of this offense. Howard will likely touch the ball more but the things they do with Cohen are more varied in the pass/run game.  I believe he should be viewed as a top 15 RB in PPR leagues going forward.

What happens when CUNNINGHAM comes back from his injury...That's the only thing I'm worried about a little,as the Bears got Cunningham to do what Cohen is doing. I didn't see the game,but was Cunningham the first back in on 3rd down or in a passing situation before he got injured?
Cohen was used early and often throughout the game.  Cunningham will be there mostly to just give the others a breather.

cunningham is on the roster for his special teams ability.  i wouldnt worry about him taking work away from cohen. 

people need to realize that cohen is perhaps the only playmaker on the bear offense.  There is literally zero other playmakers, defnitely not any at WR... and the current QB is captain check down.... jordan howard is an excellent RB, but there is room for both to produce in this offense since they are the only weapons.  i believe cohen will be getting 15 or so touches a game similar to what CMC is going to get, the only question with cohen is can his body take this beating for the course of the season? he is a little guy and everytime he does get hit solidly it seems like a "huge" hit.  The performance sunday is consistent with what he was doing in the pre-season, i'm a bears fan and I regret not self assessing the offense before week 1 as i would have rostered cohen had i realized the points i just made in this post

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, I said this earlier, and I don't say it for hyperbolic effect, I think he is the centerpiece of this offense. Howard will likely touch the ball more but the things they do with Cohen are more varied in the pass/run game.  I believe he should be viewed as a top 15 RB in PPR leagues going forward.
Blaming you if he flames out ;)

Just kidding... increasing my bid every time I come into this thread... I have a feeling someone will wager 100% and I'm not likely willing to do that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Howard is the centerpiece.
Howard is still the lead back, but I think Cohen could become the focal point of the offense, especially with a paper-thin WR corp. I hate using Sproles as the comp, but he has a similar tool box. No reason he doesn't stay involved in the running AND passing game. I think that's where Howard's value gets dinged. That said, you also have to remember it's Week 1. Really curious to see how he's used against TB. 

Worried about durability.  How is Cohen's injury history?
He got blown up a couple of times yesterday. Just squared up and annihilated. And he just bounced up. It was amazing actually. Have no idea his long term durability, but he passed the test yesterday. He may be tiny, but he seems like he's really strong. 

Little worried about how defenses adjust to him too.  It's not like they have alot to stop on the bears
I didn't think Atlanta played the Bears correctly. They seemed to play off the line a lot leaving the underneath stuff open for some reason. He caught several balls in wide open spaces. I'm interested to see what happens when a team plays tight to the line.

The Bears were creative with him though. He lined up in the wildcat on the Howard TD and he easily could of kept it for the score. He went deep and should of had a 30 yard TD if not for the defender getting his arm in there at the last minute. They also played him on different downs to hopefully disguise usage going forward. I'm hoping they use him and Howard at the same time more often, Cohen should be able to move the linebacker.

D's will have to account for him going forward for sure, but that should open things up. The tight ends were open a lot later in the game. His big run in the second quarter was crazy. Took it left. Saw there was no room, and swung it back to the right. There looked to be a corner and safety there waiting for him and he just blew past them. Can't really defend against that. That was just him making a play out of nothing. 

I didn't think Atlanta played the Bears correctly. They seemed to play off the line a lot leaving the underneath stuff open for some reason. He caught several balls in wide open spaces. I'm interested to see what happens when a team plays tight to the line.

The Bears were creative with him though. He lined up in the wildcat on the Howard TD and he easily could of kept it for the score. He went deep and should of had a 30 yard TD if not for the defender getting his arm in there at the last minute. They also played him on different downs to hopefully disguise usage going forward. I'm hoping they use him and Howard at the same time more often, Cohen should be able to move the linebacker.

D's will have to account for him going forward for sure, but that should open things up. The tight ends were open a lot later in the game. His big run in the second quarter was crazy. Took it left. Saw there was no room, and swung it back to the right. There looked to be a corner and safety there waiting for him and he just blew past them. Can't really defend against that. That was just him making a play out of nothing. 
Oh I like him alot.  Just sayin

Yeah but do you think atl came into the game thinking we have to stop Cohen?  No.  Every game from here on out the defense will think about that
I think if we were all aware of Cohen on a FF msg board, I'm sure the Falcons knew what he was capable of too.

Not saying the Falcons prepared or game planned to stop him, but they certainly weren't caught by surprise yesterday. 

It is a valid concern however, but I'm still going to spend my #1 priority on him either way ?

Yeah but do you think atl came into the game thinking we have to stop Cohen?  No.  Every game from here on out the defense will think about that
Yeah this is usually my point for second year players... as teams have more film they know what works and what doesn't. It's easy to not be ready for a team's shiny new offensive toy. When you know it's coming it's easier to stop but not by much. I look at guys like Vick, Kaep, etc who were nitche QBs and had some good success earlier in their careers but didn't evolve as teams' defenses evolved against them. Cohen isn't anything new to the NFL; teams have been using backs like this successfully for a long time (sproles, etc). You're right, if teams know this guy is an important part of their offense they will plan for him better. I would agree expecting what he did week 1 every single week is likely foolish, but I think he holds some significant fantasy value. Even 6 catches a game is huge. 

Thanks guys on snap #'s - are we expecting this # to go up when CHI is behind since he is the superior pass catcher?

Thanks guys on snap #'s - are we expecting this # to go up when CHI is behind since he is the superior pass catcher?
Hard to say after just one game.  I would like to see them run Howard more and really get that run game going.  I expect to see a good amount of him going forward though.

No shortage of clown speculation in this thread, eh. Hard to tell in which thread, boys are trying to inflate price, or what

Those snap counts are stupid. These are the Bears only 2 offensive weapons. They both need to see 75% or more of the snaps. 

Users who are viewing this thread