What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (4 Viewers)

I got him in a trade in a 750 Dynasty today and hate it.  He was a throw in kind of.

Traded Fournette and S. Sheppard for Guice, Jones, Fuller, and a 1st next year.

I am in rebuild mode this year as I now have 4 first rounders next year and Watson to go with Fuller.  

Not sure how this will turn out for me, depends on Guice I think.

I got him in a trade in a 750 Dynasty today and hate it.  He was a throw in kind of.

I am in rebuild mode this year as I now have 4 first rounders next year and Watson to go with Fuller.  

A barely 21 year old rookie RB picked top 6 in rookie drafts a throw in after 2 weeks of preseason.  People are crazy.

Hard to tell who was the throw in.

What does a highlight of a 5 yard run do for someone who was panicking over a backup RB.
????? 

Obviously you didn’t read the thread replies. It breaks down the stacked boxes Jones has faced, on each one of his pre-season carries. All 12 thus far. He’s done an incredible job making something out of nothing. Should have 9 of 12 rushes for a loss based on first contact. 

Last edited by a moderator:
????? 

Obviously you didn’t read the thread replies. It breaks down the stacked boxes Jones has faced, on each one of his pre-season carries. All 12 thus far. He’s done an incredible job making something out of nothing. Should have 9 of 12 rushes for a loss based on first contact. 
He's made 11 yards.  On 12 carries.

I like the cut on the TD.  The rest just looks like stuff.

I *do* feel marginally better after going through the twitter thread. But it came off a little like "don't feel bad, it's just his offensive line that sucks."

It’s funny reading all of the replies in this thread.  I’ll admit, as an owner, I did not see a single one of his preseason runs, so reading this thread had me somewhat down on his prospects going forward. But after I watched the YouTube video showing all twelve of his runs, he looks just like I’d expect a rookie RB still adjusting to the speed of the NFL to look.  What I did see is decent burst on a few of the runs and a willingness to run up the gut and not try to bounce every run outside.

So while I’d love to have seen him run for 150 yards on 18 carries with 3 TDs. I haven’t seen anything in those 12 runs to get me panicking. 

It’s funny reading all of the replies in this thread.  I’ll admit, as an owner, I did not see a single one of his preseason runs, so reading this thread had me somewhat down on his prospects going forward. But after I watched the YouTube video showing all twelve of his runs, he looks just like I’d expect a rookie RB still adjusting to the speed of the NFL to look.  What I did see is decent burst on a few of the runs and a willingness to run up the gut and not try to bounce every run outside.

So while I’d love to have seen him run for 150 yards on 18 carries with 3 TDs. I haven’t seen anything in those 12 runs to get me panicking. 
It is way too early to hit the panic button, and you are right, it is not even unexpected.  We always hope for better, but we shouldn't be surprised when a rookie runner takes some time to adjust to the NFL.  The one disappointment I have, however, is that his receiving game is less developed than I had hoped.  

I *do* feel marginally better after going through the twitter thread. But it came off a little like "don't feel bad, it's just his offensive line that sucks."
They also justify having 8 guys up as a "stacked box" on a few of the runs - that seems pretty common pre-snap, as at least one or two LB and/or safety will fall back to cover a TE or RB if it turns into a passing play.

They also justify having 8 guys up as a "stacked box" on a few of the runs - that seems pretty common pre-snap, as at least one or two LB and/or safety will fall back to cover a TE or RB if it turns into a passing play.
The thing is, you don't have to justify it at all. It's 11 carries. Are people really jumping ship because of 11 pre-season runs?

The thing is, you don't have to justify it at all. It's 11 carries. Are people really jumping ship because of 11 pre-season runs?
I didn't like him much as a prospect but I said a page or two back these 12 runs are way too small a sample size - and if he went out and had 60 yards on 10 carries this weekend those 12 carries would not look as bad anymore.

I do think the poor showing thus far, the inability to beat out Peyton Barber and some negative comments from the coaching staff when all taken together don't paint a very rosy picture. But once again a great showing Week 3 would go a long way in helping to turn that back around a bit.

Not encouraqged at this point but this is sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srFqvoKaYjU

Huge hole at 0:52-0:54 and whoever #60 is attempting to block, WTF was that?

Tejas said:

After going through that twitter feed, you're definitely right.  The line did him no favors.  One good thing that I noticed was it was continually the right side of the line that couldn't do anything right, so it's only half the line.  And more on the good side of things, he looks explosive when picking lanes.  

After going through that twitter feed, you're definitely right.  The line did him no favors.  One good thing that I noticed was it was continually the right side of the line that couldn't do anything right, so it's only half the line.  And more on the good side of things, he looks explosive when picking lanes.  
Isn't TB's OL supposed to be one of the league's most improved?  Not sure where I heard/read this, but if they're playing starters the majority of the game, this is troubling.

It's less his carries in preseason that have me worred and moreso the drops, the steady negtive drumbeat out of camp and the fact that he hasn't even come close to beating out Peyton Barber. 

Isn't TB's OL supposed to be one of the league's most improved?  Not sure where I heard/read this, but if they're playing starters the majority of the game, this is troubling.
I thought so too, but those clips definitely tell a different story for run blocking.  

JennaLaineESPN

@JennaLaineESPN
Rookie Ronald Jones just caught a beautiful 37-yard pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s been putting in the work to improve his hands. Running backs coach Tim Spencer told me he caught several 25-yarders last week. Good for him to put on film.
8:22 PM · Aug 24, 2018

They’re playing two projected starters tonight. Think 3 last week?

Yep, he can't catch the ball 
I don't think anyone is actually saying he can't catch the ball. I think there are questions about how consistently he is able to catch the ball. It was a nice grab- he roasted our LB. Lions front 7 is really bad and our LBs can't cover so I hope to see him get another shot at a pass or 2.

I thought so too, but those clips definitely tell a different story for run blocking.  
Barber has 15 rushes for 87 yards this preseason. 

4 for 21

5 for 32

6 for 34

Averaging over 5 yards a carry in all 3 games. 

Jones now has 18 rushes for 18 yards this preseason. Tonight was his first game over 1 yard per carry, with 6 carries for 7 yards. 

Maybe the line just isn't good at blocking for Jones, but Barber was also dubbed the starter early and has been praised all off season, while jones has been openly criticized by his coach in the media. 

Barber has 15 rushes for 87 yards this preseason. 

4 for 21

5 for 32

6 for 34

Averaging over 5 yards a carry in all 3 games. 

Jones now has 18 rushes for 18 yards this preseason. Tonight was his first game over 1 yard per carry, with 6 carries for 7 yards. 

Maybe the line just isn't good at blocking for Jones, but Barber was also dubbed the starter early and has been praised all off season, while jones has been openly criticized by his coach in the media. 
There's so much that could be read into it so I'm trying my best not to do that.  I'm just going off those clips of all his runs in that twitter chain.  I count 2 times that RoJo had an opportunity and didn't quite break a lower leg tackle, and then a bunch of other times that he was met in the backfield.  Could he have done better?  Sure.  Were his touches in ideal situations?  Probably not.  

No doubt Barber has looked good, and capitalized.  You might be right, that they're just not use to blocking for Jones or maybe it's one of any number of different things that I could guess at, but I have no clue.  

In all honesty all we know now is Jones didn’t do enough to beat out Barber this preseason and his offseason has been up and down at best.

If you liked him as a prospect, there’s no reason to bury him at this point.

If you had some doubts about his prospects when evaluating him, maybe you’ve been validated a bit but the book isn’t completely written yet.

If you drafted him in a rookie draft, hold and hope. If you liked himbut couldn’t get him, maybe float an offer. If you haven’t drafted in redraft yet, I’d let some one else take the chance on him unless he falls past Round 12, and even then it depends on who else is there.

Concept Coop said:
Preseason doesn’t mean anything...except for that one play.
Being preseason, I'm hoping its simply a case of the defense knowing that when Jones is in there, they are simply going to hand off to see what he has. Could also be why that play worked so well. The regular season is completely different but he has to be able to pass block before he can be a threat.

For those saying that one (nice) catch by Jones outweighs how terrible he's been as a receiver: no.

Jones is a good athlete. But he's terrible catching the ball and has struggled with the playbook. He's absolutely the 3rd RB and will not be the 3rd down back (that will be Rodgers).

I completely understand if you want to hold onto Jones in Dynasty because of his obvious talent as a runner and his draft status.

But right now he's been terrible in ALL phases of the game (one catch notwithstanding). Even when running behind the no. 1 line he is STRUGGLING to find holes and keeps bouncing it. He currently has a 1.0 yard/average. Some of that is definitely behind 2nd/3rd string OL but he's been just as bad (and Barber just as good) behind the 1s.

And yes, Barber is a good (not great) receiver. In every respect Barber is average - he's a 2018 Ernest Graham. But he's light years better than every other RB on the roster including Jones. 

You can save this: I'll be shocked if at any point Jones beats out Barber for playing time. 

Barber has been running hard this preseason and looks like a guy who is out to prove he deserves the job. But, the early schedule is brutal and without famous Jameo. This story is far from written.

Seeing Ronald Jones scamper to 4 yards on 10 carries makes me feel pretty good about Barber in the 9th in both leagues. 

Wow. Bucs have to be scratching their heads about that draft pick about now. He was already averaging less than 1 YPC. 

Shockingly, that number went down today. Amazing. :doh:  

Users who are viewing this thread