What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump and the 16 women (5 Viewers)

What I mean is, I think the people who dismiss these charges either haven't paid attention, or else they are lying to themselves (as well as everyone else.) They don't believe it because they don't want to believe it, which makes them impervious to reason and information. Henry Ford's post was intended for the reasoning, educated, objective person who has looked at the evidence and doubts that Trump is guilty. That person doesn't exist, IMO.

What I mean is, I think the people who dismiss these charges either haven't paid attention, or else they are lying to themselves (as well as everyone else.) They don't believe it because they don't want to believe it, which makes them impervious to reason and information. Henry Ford's post was intended for the reasoning, educated, objective person who has looked at the evidence and doubts that Trump is guilty. That person doesn't exist, IMO.
No, it's intended for the person who says "who knows what all those rich weirdos would lie about and what they wouldn't?  They're so far removed from my world - reality tv stars, and makeup artists, and sports stars' wives and the like, I don't even know anyone who can vouch for any of them."

I know one of them.  I've sat and debated topics including the law with Stacia Robitaille.  And I can tell you unequivocally I believe every word she typed about this.

I dont get why you are so adamant that Trump resign because of this?  How does these accusations affect you?  What skin do you have in this game?  People knew about this pre election and simply dont care.  They just dont Tim.  Your white knight quest to protect these women or give them voices or whatever is starting to become humorous.   None of this should be affecting you the way you are portraying it.  Trump is a scum bag, nobody is arguing that but what law is that breaking?

I dont get why you are so adamant that Trump resign because of this?  How does these accusations affect you?  What skin do you have in this game?  People knew about this pre election and simply dont care.  They just dont Tim.  Your white knight quest to protect these women or give them voices or whatever is starting to become humorous.   None of this should be affecting you the way you are portraying it.  Trump is a scum bag, nobody is arguing that but what law is that breaking?
Is this intentional or do you not understand the "law breaking" part would be the sexual harassment and or sexual assault?  I have yet to see anyone on these boards in any thread argue that being a scum bag is "breaking the law".  Don't be so obtuse.

Have you ever seen Love Actually?  [SPOILER ALERT]  In that movie, BIlly Bob Thornton plays a sleazy, womanizing POTUS.  He is visiting the UK and meeting with the dreamy Prime Minister of Britain, played by Hugh Grant.  One night, Billy Bob visits the Prime Minister's residence to discuss policy, and when Hugh Grant steps out of the room momentarily, Billy Bob moves in on one of Hugh's staffers, who is obviously uncomfortable with his unwanted physical advances.  Hugh comes back into the room and sees this, at which point everybody awkwardly separates.  Afterwards, at a joint press conference involving Hugh and Billy Bob, Billy Bob tries to bully Hugh politically by pushing a "mutual" policy that actually just benefits the US.  But, remembering Billy Bob's sleazy behavior, Hugh is having none of it.  He rejects Billy Bob's claims that the policy is mutually beneficial, stands up for Britain, and does not submit to Billy Bob's attempted political bullying.  Billy Bob is embarrassed and the US's diplomatic relations with one of its closest allies has been compromised.  

So, really, the question shouldn't be whether Trump should resign, but whether Congress should kick him out via impeachment or the 25th amendment.  

Is this intentional or do you not understand the "law breaking" part would be the sexual harassment and or sexual assault?  I have yet to see anyone on these boards in any thread argue that being a scum bag is "breaking the law".  Don't be so obtuse.
I'm guessing here, but, he might be interpreting "breaking the law" as being convicted of something.  Court of law, not public opinion.

I'm guessing here, but, he might be interpreting "breaking the law" as being convicted of something.  Court of law, not public opinion.
Then get him in court to have it adjudicated properly. Sworn testimony from all parties in front of a judge. The White House ridiculously says the voters already decided his innocence. That is "public opinion", not law.

I guess I missed the court proceedings, carry on then

Then get him in court to have it adjudicated properly. Sworn testimony from all parties in front of a judge. The White House ridiculously says the voters already decided his innocence. That is "public opinion", not law.
I'm sure he'll show up if he is ever charged.

If I'm being honest, this makes less sense than his original comment.  :oldunsure:  

I guess I missed the court proceedings, carry on then
Don't strain your back moving those goal posts....at least that appears to be what's going on.  Hard to say.  Might just be diarrhea of the mouth too..hard to say at this point.  It seemed like you're saying "being a scumbag isn't illegal".  That's true....no one has made an argument otherwise.

Don't strain your back moving those goal posts....at least that appears to be what's going on.  Hard to say.  Might just be diarrhea of the mouth too..hard to say at this point.  It seemed like you're saying "being a scumbag isn't illegal".  That's true....no one has made an argument otherwise.
Moving goal posts?  Do what now?  I said he is a bad guy but a) that doesnt mean he should step down and b) why all the outrage now.  What do you guys have invested in this thats so important?  How is this affecting you?

Your white knight quest to protect these women or give them voices or whatever is starting to become humorous.   None of this should be affecting you the way you are portraying it.  Trump is a scum bag, nobody is arguing that but what law is that breaking?
This is the comment I read.  To answer your question about how it affects me I'll say I have a daughter and a wife and a mother.  That's plenty of skin to be had.  I don't want the Trump alleged behavior to be acceptable, ever.  So much so that I am absolutely fine with guilty until proven innocent in matters of sexual harassment and sexual assault.  I also know I am barking up the wrong tree with a guy like he who's shown what you think of women in other threads.  I know you won't get it.  The above shows that you still don't get it and that's fine.  Only you have control over that.  We can't change your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the comment I read.  To answer your question about how it affects me I'll say I have a daughter and a wife and a mother.  That's plenty of skin to be had.  I don't want the Trump alleged behavior to be acceptable, ever.  So much so that I am absolutely fine with guilty until proven innocent in matters of sexual harassment and sexual assault.  I also know I am barking up the wrong tree with a guy like he who's shown what you think of women in other threads.  I know you won't get it.  The above shows that you still don't get it and that's fine.  Only you have control over that.  We can't change your mind.
To be fair your posts are confusing. You say you are fine with guilty until proven innocent but then you want him to step down?  

I guess we can agree to disagree on how we feel about Trump and the influence he may have on other mens behavior.  And the guilty until proven innocent is just dumb and what I was afraid of this movement coming to.  No common sense, no rational thought etc.  I dont think Trump stepping down will make this world a better place for your kid or wife but if you have some deep thought that it might then yeah you answered my question as to why you are so invested in this.  And to your comment about what I think of women you have no clue and dont pretend you do.  Where has all of this faux rage been from you guys then all these years?  Its like I said you pick this wave to be white knights and like all the other things I am sure it will die down and we move on to something else.  But as far as me not "getting" sexual assault or harassment I guess its a matter of defining "get".  I am not like you and tim and throwing all this behavior under one convenient umbrella  and labeling these things side by side along with rape.  Thats just stupid.  Each of these cases are different and throwing each guy to the wolves as soon as they come out is a huge disservice to both sides.  It swings the pendulum too fast and creates unbalance.

I spoke with a survivor of sexual violence today about the Jones election.  She was crying.  She’s 50 years old and said that for the first time in her life she feels like it might make a difference if she were to speak up about what happened to her.  

She says for the first time she feels like she matters in this country, as a woman and as a survivor of rape and child molestation. 

So, yeah, I think it would make a difference if Trump were held accountable. 

I spoke with a survivor of sexual violence today about the Jones election.  She was crying.  She’s 50 years old and said that for the first time in her life she feels like it might make a difference if she were to speak up about what happened to her.  

She says for the first time she feels like she matters in this country, as a woman and as a survivor of rape and child molestation. 

There's no doubt in my mind we're seeing a reaction and push back against Trump. People are not only mobilizing to vote but making their voices heard that was deemed acceptable on 11/8/16 will no longer be tolerated going forward. It's been my hope that there would be a reckoning for the damage done that day and it would appear that has begun to occur. Still a long way to go but some real positive strides taken in the right direction. 

No that is exactly what I am talking lumping that in as if they are all the same.

To answer your question about how it affects me I'll say I have a daughter and a wife and a mother.  That's plenty of skin to be had.  I don't want the Trump alleged behavior to be acceptable, ever.  So much so that I am absolutely fine with guilty until proven innocent in matters of sexual harassment and sexual assault. 
100% my views as well.

I would never approve of a guilty until proven innocent standard for the law.  I hope folks are speaking for their personal assessment of persons, but not for legal assessments.

I would never approve of a guilty until proven innocent standard for the law.  I hope folks are speaking for their personal assessment of persons, but not for legal assessments.
That's how I was interpreting the discussion. (I hoped that was the implication and I was probably leaning that way because of my hopefulness.....)

To be fair your posts are confusing. You say you are fine with guilty until proven innocent but then you want him to step down?  
If you're truly interested, go back and reread my comments and the comments I was responding too.  What I take issue with in those comments is this notion that somehow defending these women is "humorous" and that people want Trump thrown in jail because he's a scum bag.  Your question here seems to be independent of that, but to answer it, yes I want him to step down and I have dozens of reasons for wanting that outside of him being a scum bag and/or sexual predator.  Take either of those or both of those out of the equation and it's still an incredibly long list.  That list starts with my concern that Trump has the emotional stability of a 5 year old and is on par with a whacko dictator in North Korea as far as ability to process what's going on in reality.  

If you're truly interested, go back and reread my comments and the comments I was responding too.  What I take issue with in those comments is this notion that somehow defending these women is "humorous" and that people want Trump thrown in jail because he's a scum bag.  Your question here seems to be independent of that, but to answer it, yes I want him to step down and I have dozens of reasons for wanting that outside of him being a scum bag and/or sexual predator.  Take either of those or both of those out of the equation and it's still an incredibly long list.  That list starts with my concern that Trump has the emotional stability of a 5 year old and is on par with a whacko dictator in North Korea as far as ability to process what's going on in reality.  
Yep confusing. None of that was part of your argument earlier. 

I guess we can agree to disagree on how we feel about Trump and the influence he may have on other mens behavior.  And the guilty until proven innocent is just dumb and what I was afraid of this movement coming to.  No common sense, no rational thought etc.  I dont think Trump stepping down will make this world a better place for your kid or wife but if you have some deep thought that it might then yeah you answered my question as to why you are so invested in this.  And to your comment about what I think of women you have no clue and dont pretend you do.  Where has all of this faux rage been from you guys then all these years?  Its like I said you pick this wave to be white knights and like all the other things I am sure it will die down and we move on to something else.  But as far as me not "getting" sexual assault or harassment I guess its a matter of defining "get".  I am not like you and tim and throwing all this behavior under one convenient umbrella  and labeling these things side by side along with rape.  Thats just stupid.  Each of these cases are different and throwing each guy to the wolves as soon as they come out is a huge disservice to both sides.  It swings the pendulum too fast and creates unbalance.
As I said before, I'm not going to change your mind.  To the bold, all I have to go on is what you present here.  Based on that, I am comfortable with my assessment.  If you want to provide other evidence to the contrary, that's up to you.  Things like this I am always happy to revisit and admit that I was wrong.  I'll leave the rest of the strawman babble be other than to say, my opinions on this sort of thing have never wavered and I've been clear on my position for years.  I've been here all along.  This isn't a new cause....at least for me :shrug:  

And there it is

Yep confusing. None of that was part of your argument earlier. 
I tried to clarify it :shrug:   

Sorry you don't get it...I don't know how to say it any differently or any more simply

I am DW....I am.  I understand how our legal system works and respect it and abide by it.  That's independent of the court of public opinion.

why is it that there are always the same guys standing up for creeps commiting sexual assualts every time there is a thread about that topic it always makes me wonder take that to the bank brohans 

Just a heads up- there is a legal proceeding. The claim against Trump isn't for sexual assault but for defamation, which is effectively the same thing since it's based on Trump saying that the women who accused him of sexual misconduct were lying, meaning the claim comes down to whether Trump actually did what an accuser (in this case Summer Zervos) says he did.

There's a motion to dismiss pending, with Trump's lawyers arguing that he can't be subjected to civil suit in state court while he's president (Clinton famously tried to make this argument and lost in the Paula Jones suit, but that was for federal courts). If Trump loses the motion to dismiss there will be discovery and Trump will be royally screwed.

I bet you were a real peach in the duke rape case and rolling stone uva threads
And here we go again.

The Duke LaCrosse team rape case was in 2006, over 11 years ago now. The Rolling Stone article regarding the University of Virginia was in 2014. Yet whenever womens' issues are a topic of discussion, you know that somebody is going to bring up these cases and attempt to present them as representative of something. In fact, they're complete oddities, representative of nothing, adding nothing of interest to the discussion at hand. Men are not victims here.

In my Wine/Alcohol selling days I nearly lost my job over a completely misrepresented accusation from a girl I had hired.

Thankfully there was no "guilty until proven innocent" policy or social media movements back then.

Men are not victims here.
They certainly can be.  I nearly was.

eta - THIS IS NOT A DEFENSE OF SEXUAL ASSUALT/MISCONDUCT/ABUSE.

Simply a lesson learned first hand that it can be used against innocent people (myself and 3 coworkers), and assuming guilt is not a good way to go about it.

They certainly can be.  I nearly was.
I don't know what your situation is. And no offense to you, but whatever happened to you is anecdotal. In terms of sheer numbers, I was told at several college campuses that 2 out of every 5 female students that attend university are sexually harassed or worse. I strongly suspect those numbers, which are based only on what is reported, is far too low. Just about every adult woman I know has faced this at least once in their life, usually many, many, times. Most of them just don't talk about it. Until now, that is. Our society is changing for the better, and if you're not part of the solution, well, you know the rest.

And here we go again.

The Duke LaCrosse team rape case was in 2006, over 11 years ago now. The Rolling Stone article regarding the University of Virginia was in 2014. Yet whenever womens' issues are a topic of discussion, you know that somebody is going to bring up these cases and attempt to present them as representative of something. In fact, they're complete oddities, representative of nothing, adding nothing of interest to the discussion at hand. Men are not victims here.
I disagree.  They show something.  Now as outlier anecdotal matters occurring only sporadically they don't illustrate any trend or pattern, but they do serve as a caution.  How one weighs that caution is another matter.  Me, I don't take those matters as reasons to dismiss the credibility of current reports, but I do take them as indications that reports need to be well and rationally considered for their internal consistency and for their comporting with objectively observable or confirmable facts. Those who try to use those incidents as a bulwark against welcoming reporting, well those folks I dismiss and I then harbor negative impressions of their character. 

I don't know what your situation is. And no offense to you, but whatever happened to you is anecdotal. In terms of sheer numbers, I was told at several college campuses that 2 out of every 5 female students that attend university are sexually harassed or worse. I strongly suspect those numbers, which are based only on what is reported, is far too low. Just about every adult woman I know has faced this at least once in their life, usually many, many, times. Most of them just don't talk about it. Until now, that is. Our society is changing for the better, and if you're not part of the solution, well, you know the rest.
The attempt to make every conversation binary is getting old lately.

We don't disagree on a single thing you posted here.  That does not discredit the fact that assuming guilt based on accusation alone is a dangerous trend.

I disagree.  They show something.  Now as outlier anecdotal matters occurring only sporadically they don't illustrate any trend or pattern, but they do serve as a caution.  How one weighs that caution is another matter.  Me, I don't take those matters as reasons to dismiss the credibility of current reports, but I do take them as indications that reports need to be well and rationally considered for their internal consistency and for their comporting with objectively observable or confirmable facts. Those who try to use those incidents as a bulwark against welcoming reporting, well those folks I dismiss and I then harbor negative impressions of their character. 
Well said

Why is this still an issue?  Many of these allegations are decades old and were used against him during the campaign.  The NBC tape that was withheld for years and then appeared late in the campaign was seen and heard by many. Trump still won by an electoral landslide.  

Has he assaulted anyone as President?  Has he had inappropriate relations in the Oval Office?  Is there anything new that the people have not already vetted?

Why is this still an issue?  Many of these allegations are decades old and were used against him during the campaign.  The NBC tape that was withheld for years and then appeared late in the campaign was seen and heard by many. Trump still won by an electoral landslide.  

Has he assaulted anyone as President?  Has he had inappropriate relations in the Oval Office?  Is there anything new that the people have not already vetted?
Some issues never die.  The character of our leader is always relevant, it says something about us all, in an ongoing way.  I believe.

The attempt to make every conversation binary is getting old lately.

We don't disagree on a single thing you posted here.  That does not discredit the fact that assuming guilt based on accusation alone is a dangerous trend.
On a single accusation?  Sure.  When there are multiple accusations and multiple accounts of the same accusation...seems perfectly reasonable to think someone is likely guilty in a message board context.

Had Franken done any of those things while in office?  I doubt you had the same opinion about that.

5 star shtick.  Can't top this parody.

I don't know what part of it is better: the utter absurdity of suggesting that once someone is elected to public office they are absolved of any sins committed or controversies that took place before the election, or the surreal application of this already ridiculous concept to defend the world's most famous birther.

Either way, you always bring the good stuff :thumbup:

On a single accusation?  Sure.  When there are multiple accusations and multiple accounts of the same accusation...seems perfectly reasonable to think someone is likely guilty in a message board context.
Again misrepresenting my position.  

I agree 100% with your post.  Dozens of women, on tape/TV, text messages documenting it, etc.  Of course.

But 100 people with cause to assume to guilt does not mean we should assume guilt for #101 without cause.  This seems to be happening.

And here we go again.

I disagree.  They show something.  Now as outlier anecdotal matters occurring only sporadically they don't illustrate any trend or pattern, but they do serve as a caution.  How one weighs that caution is another matter.  Me, I don't take those matters as reasons to dismiss the credibility of current reports, but I do take them as indications that reports need to be well and rationally considered for their internal consistency and for their comporting with objectively observable or confirmable facts. Those who try to use those incidents as a bulwark against welcoming reporting, well those folks I dismiss and I then harbor negative impressions of their character
:goodposting:   They show "something" just not what appears to be intended.  Not really sure why they were even brought up???  As anecdotes?  Ok, yes anecdotes exist even in the realm of sexual assault/harassment.  Are there times where my assumption that the allegations are true falls flat?  Sure.  It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.  However, I am always content with letting the process play out and the courts doing their thing.  It's pretty refreshing to be wrong in these instances....I wish it happened more.  

My wife and her friends are all part of the academic and/or scientific community.  I understand how common these incidents are there.  I am in the corporate world and I see how common these incidents are.  It isn't exactly stepping out on the smallest of limbs to take the position I do.  There's plenty of evidence to support doing so...plenty.

Had Franken done any of those things while in office?  I doubt you had the same opinion about that.
Whatsboutism at its finest.  
That's not whataboutism....hth.

He's making an assumption that your opinion of Franken is NOT "What's the big deal with big Al.....the allegations aren't even from when he was in office".  Only you can tell us if he's right or wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread