What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (2 Viewers)

The o-line was horrendous last night. A bad line was missing two starters. He had no time on any pass. He did a few good things - bought time rollling out and escaping pressure to complete passes, and led one nice drive. He forced a ball in on 4th down which would have been a turnover on downs anyway that was deflected for the interception. I don’t think that was a good pass but some have said no one else was open so he had little choice on 4th down.

if you’ve wanted the games you’d see he looks, poised, moves well, makes good decisions and has been deadly accurate. Who knows what the future holds but so far I’m optimistic.

I have not seen him play, so hopefully the issues are what you put forth.  I just see a relatively pretty high completion percentage with a really poor ypa.  From a stats standpoint that makes it seem like he’s just throwing dumps and screens - a lot of completions with no effective movement downfield.

We really need some good young talent at QB in the NFL.  A lot of college coaches aren’t doing these kids any favors.  I’m not a Darnold fan but I’d like to see him succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen him play, so hopefully the issues are what you put forth.  I just see a relatively pretty high completion percentage with a really poor ypa.  From a stats standpoint that makes it seem like he’s just throwing dumps and screens - a lot of completions with no effective movement downfield.

We really need some good young talent at QB in the NFL.  A lot of college coaches aren’t doing these kids any favors.  I’m not a Darnold fan but I’d like to see him succeed.

Well, they are trying to protect him a little as he's learning so most of the passes have been short passes, and they have worked in a bunch of screens. The Jets were without Enunwa and Crowell last night and even with them their skill position players are less than stellar.

He did throw a nice deep pass in the first game that would have went for close to 40 yards but the receiver (actually a rookie RB) turned the wrong way and did not track the ball well.

Bridgewater has been better so far.
True, and I'm not a Darnold hater. 

I just think Bridgewater is not getting the benefit of the doubt that Taylor and Bradford are getting, and that I would argue AJ McCarron should also be getting.

None of the encumbent 4 are Brady or Rodgers, but they are also not lost causes...and since we are ultimately talking about a scarce commodity it doesn't seem wise to treat them as such.  I get the impression that all 4 will be on the bench as early as week 5, and I suspect only Allen and Mayfield will justify the decision, but we'll see...

True, and I'm not a Darnold hater. 

I just think Bridgewater is not getting the benefit of the doubt that Taylor and Bradford are getting, and that I would argue AJ McCarron should also be getting.

None of the encumbent 4 are Brady or Rodgers, but they are also not lost causes...and since we are ultimately talking about a scarce commodity it doesn't seem wise to treat them as such.  I get the impression that all 4 will be on the bench as early as week 5, and I suspect only Allen and Mayfield will justify the decision, but we'll see...
The Jets are in a tough situation with Bridgewater - starting him does them no good, unless they move him before the deadline. They can't pay him start's money next offseason and some one will.

While Darnold has been over-hyped a bit this offseason, he has done a lot of good things and has played well. He has impressed many outside the organization so it's not all "hype".

So I disagree with the last part of your post. I think Darnold has a future. To me Josh Allen is the bust of this draft class and I've soured on Rosen a little after reading up on him more (although I did like his game as a prospect).

I think Darnold has a future. To me Josh Allen is the bust of this draft class and I've soured on Rosen a little after reading up on him more (although I did like his game as a prospect).
You may be right.  Time will tell.  I just hope Bridgewater gets the chance to shine somewhere as I feel that he's a much better QB than Tyrod Taylor or AJ McCarron....maybe a push with Sam Bradford but the latter is made of glass.

You may be right.  Time will tell.  I just hope Bridgewater gets the chance to shine somewhere as I feel that he's a much better QB than Tyrod Taylor or AJ McCarron....maybe a push with Sam Bradford but the latter is made of glass.
I've always been a fan and wanted the Jets to bring him in from the start. Once they moved up for a QB in the draft, it was obvious he's not the future in NY though. I want to see him land somewhere he can start as well - Jacksonville would be a great location for him if Bortles doesn't find some consistency.

I've always been a fan and wanted the Jets to bring him in from the start. Once they moved up for a QB in the draft, it was obvious he's not the future in NY though. I want to see him land somewhere he can start as well - Jacksonville would be a great location for him if Bortles doesn't find some consistency.
This is true. We both wanted Bridgewater as early as last year. I remember both of us saying we'd be happy with him. 

That said, I don't see how he's not a viable starter this year. He looked good playing behind a tough line with no skill players last night. Well, Peake's catch was a thing of beauty, but that doesn't mean he runs with the starters or even makes the team and not the practice squad.  

This is true. We both wanted Bridgewater as early as last year. I remember both of us saying we'd be happy with him. 

That said, I don't see how he's not a viable starter this year. He looked good playing behind a tough line with no skill players last night. Well, Peake's catch was a thing of beauty, but that doesn't mean he runs with the starters or even makes the team and not the practice squad.  
The fact Peake was playing in the late 4Q says he's likely not making the team.

According to ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini, first-round QB Sam Darnold is "trending toward" starting Week 1 against the Lions.

Darnold continues to see the bulk of New York's first-team practice reps and will likely draw the start in Friday's regular season dress rehearsal against the Giants, just as he did last week against the Redskins. Selected third overall in April's draft, Darnold has impressed since ending his contract holdout last month. All signs point to the 21-year-old getting the nod in Week 1.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Aug 19 - 12:50 PM

When did they say that?

If Darnold is starting the fan base knows why, and it’s certainly not because he gives them the best chance to win now.
They haven't said that.

However, Bowles has said previously, per ESPN, (linked by Faust above)

Coach Todd Bowles always says he will start the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win now. That's "the main factor," he said. 

So if Darnold is given the starting job, they WILL be saying that....and that's what I'm saying would be a lie....

They haven't said that.

However, Bowles has said previously, per ESPN, (linked by Faust above)

Coach Todd Bowles always says he will start the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win now. That's "the main factor," he said. 

So if Darnold is given the starting job, they WILL be saying that....and that's what I'm saying would be a lie....
Yeah, seems kind of minor to get worked up about. 

I feel bad for Bridgewater. The guy can play and I think he could be a long term solution at QB for some team. But he's going to have to wait, probably another year before he gets another opportunity.

I feel bad for Bridgewater. The guy can play and I think he could be a long term solution at QB for some team. But he's going to have to wait, probably another year before he gets another opportunity.
I’m sure the Jets would be willing to trade him if a team wants him. I’d like that for him and for the Jets.

I feel bad for me, actually. I'm a Jets fan. I want to see Teddy, and there's no way on God's green earth that he starts the year even though he won the job and is our best QB right now. He got stuck in a prove it deal -- and then the Jets traded up and Darnold fell to the Jets instead of Mayfield, who you could justify sitting for a year or so.

It's a perfect storm of suck for the fans, who have to suffer through massive growing pains with shaky skill players rather than watching a great story unfold.   

I feel bad for me, actually. I'm a Jets fan. I want to see Teddy, and there's no way on God's green earth that he starts the year even though he won the job and is our best QB right now. He got stuck in a prove it deal -- and then the Jets traded up and Darnold fell to the Jets instead of Mayfield, who you could justify sitting for a year or so.

It's a perfect storm of suck for the fans, who have to suffer through massive growing pains with shaky skill players rather than watching a great story unfold.   
I'm not throwing a pity party for you. Last year we had to choose between old man McCown, Petty, and Hack. This is a good story developing, maybe just not the story you prefer. Players go down all the time. At least we have 2 viable options.

I'm not throwing a pity party for you. Last year we had to choose between old man McCown, Petty, and Hack. This is a good story developing, maybe just not the story you prefer. Players go down all the time. At least we have 2 viable options.
It was sort of tongue-in-cheek, my feeling bad for myself. 

Having three viable options at QB is awesome, and we'll get at least a third to boot! 

Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
Ay de mi. Three second rounders would have gone an awfully long way towards getting Teddy some weapons.

I kid, I kid. 

Sort of.  

Then again, with our GM and his track record of second rounders...
Three 2nd's plus the #6.  Quentin Nelson (or Josh Rosen!), Courtland Sutton, Dallas Goedert, 2nd next year!

I'm just going to put this here where it belongs

I'm going to go ahead and say it: Sam Darnold will be the main reason why the Jets will go 9-7 and make the playoffs this year.  Why?  He's the best rookie QB the Jets have ever had since Joe Namath.  They may not be able to get by the Patriots for the AFC East title, but I do see them getting the sixth and final playoff spot in the AFC.  Unfortunately, his rookie season will come to an end against the Chargers in Los Angeles, which, is kind of ironic, considering he played his college ball at USC.

Injuries always are no good for future playing prospects, especially when you haven't fully proven yourself yet, but haven't been a full bust either. I think of all the major 4 sports, football is the harshest with not getting a fair chance to return to your prior role after recovering. They treat you like a rookie all over again.

Right now he's in recovery purgatory.

Sam Darnold completed 8-of-16 passes for 86 yards and a touchdown in Friday's preseason game against the Giants.

The No. 2 overall pick and presumptive Jets starter closes the book on the preseason having gone 29-of-45 (64.4 percent) for 244 yards (5.42 YPA), two touchdowns and one interception. He wasn't particularly crisp against the G-Men, taking an intentional grounding penalty. Darnold should make plenty of big plays as a rookie, but also take sacks and commit turnovers. He will be strictly a streamer in fantasy leagues.

Aug 24 - 10:09 PM

4 months ago, all the (rightful) talk was that he was nowhere close to ready for the pros. 

Here we are. Darnold starting week 1. 

I'll root for the kid tho. I hope the thread title is wrong. 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Sam Darnold "rarely makes the same mistake twice."

"Any rookie can only get better by playing," Bowles continued, "so we’re pleased with the progress he’s making week-by-week. That’s been exciting." Darnold has impressed so far in the preseason, and it sounds like he has been doing just as well during training camp. With Teddy Bridgewater traded to the Saints, it would be a shock if Darnold is not under center Week 1.

Source: MMQB 

Aug 30 - 10:15 AM

Users who are viewing this thread