What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (4 Viewers)

Sam Darnold - QB -  Jets

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold "has a very fair shot" to be the Week 1 starter.

Darnold got a late start to training camp because of a contract dispute, but that will not stop the rookie from making a real push for the starting job. Josh McCown is currently the No. 1, and Teddy Bridgewater has the talent to push for the starting job, as well. If he is even competent in the preseason, however, Darnold should get the nod.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 6 - 8:08 AM

Sam Darnold completed 13-of-18 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown while adding eight rushing yards on two carries Friday in the Jets’ preseason opener against the Falcons.

Darnold entered with 8:41 remaining in the second quarter and led the offense for the remainder of the night. He was the third Jets signal-caller to see the field following brief stints by starter Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater. The rookie shined in his debut, particularly in the first half when he completed 9-of-11 passes for 74 yards and a touchdown. He closed the first half with a 14-yard strike to Charles Johnson on a beautifully-thrown pass to the corner of the end zone. Johnson should have scored two plays earlier on first-and-goal but dropped a screen pass that would have gone for an easy touchdown. Darnold nicked his left hand on a first-half scramble but was able to play through it. He wasn’t as effective in the second half—the Jets had a big lead and mostly ran the ball—but it was still an encouraging debut for Darnold, especially considering his late arrival at training camp. The 21-year-old’s next test will come Thursday against the Redskins.

Aug 10 - 10:31 PM

He looked very good. So poised, made smart decisions, and showed some real arm strength. One of the incompletions was a terrible drop by Charles Johnson that would have been a TD, and Cannon turned the wrong way and failed to track a long bomb down the sideline that was a well thrown ball.

He looked like the real deal - obviously he must do it again and again before we can crown him.

He looked very good. So poised, made smart decisions, and showed some real arm strength. One of the incompletions was a terrible drop by Charles Johnson that would have been a TD, and Cannon turned the wrong way and failed to track a long bomb down the sideline that was a well thrown ball.

He looked like the real deal - obviously he must do it again and again before we can crown him.
I wonder how many "agains" before we can petition for the removal of the disrespectful "bust" title of this thread?

Didn't watch, so no disrespect intended...

But 13/18 for 92yds and a TD is worthy of all the hype Im reading?

No picks, which Im actually suprised at... but what was so special, because those numbers look pedestrian as heck

I wonder how many "agains" before we can petition for the removal of the disrespectful "bust" title of this thread?
That’s soulfly. By the way when all the buzz was that the Browns were going to take him he was talking him up as the next Joe Montana in the Browns thread. He liiterally said he was creaming his pants thinking about how good the offense would be.

But that’s fine. We know his schtick by now and most have learned to embrace it.

Last edited by a moderator:

No picks, which Im actually suprised at... but what was so special, because those numbers look pedestrian as heck
They hardly threw in the second half because they didn’t have the ball much and had a lead. He did most of that in about a quarter.

he looked very good if you had watched.

As Doc said, they just ran the ball in the second half.

It was a super impressive performance in his first two drives, much like Baker. He was able to escape the pressure and throw accurate strikes on the run. More importantly, he scanned the whole field going to as many as 4 reads to find open receivers and connecting a few times on third down. In one series, he threw a a td pass that Johnson dropped with his butterfingers. On the next play, another td pass to Johnson was negated because of some soft push-off call. On third down after being pushed back 10 yards for the penalty, he escaped pressure and found Johnson a third time for a td that finally counted.

Escaping pressure by stepping up or rolling out, multiple full field reads, good leadership, and a quality arm (especially on the run) are just not qualities that I'm used to from Jets QBs, especially past rookie QB. Hackenburg, Sanchez, Petty, Geno all would have wilted in the pocket. I'm excited.

Watched the entire game. Bridgewater sure helped his cause.  He looked great. 

Darnold looked very relaxed.  Got rid of the ball quickly and was aware of his reads.  For his first action I think the Jets are very pleased with their draft selection.  

I have to admit, I clicked this link expecting to be wowed after reading the preceding comments. I saw a bunch of 5 yard dump offs with one throw over ten yards. I don't get the hype?
After the hot garbage and dumpster fires that the Jets have rolled out as starting quarterbacks, can you blame them for showing some enthusiasm for Darnold?

I have to admit, I clicked this link expecting to be wowed after reading the preceding comments. I saw a bunch of 5 yard dump offs with one throw over ten yards. I don't get the hype?
He displayed great qualities on those 2 drives in the second quarter for a guy under a major spotlight in his first ever NFL game action.

First series:

Ok, first couple of passes are short screens to the RB probably to ease him into his first game.

On third and 7, he steps up in the pocket to evade the pressure and completes a pass on 3rd and 7. I've seen some of the best QBs in the league take a seat when they smell that inside pressure.

On another play where past QBs would have been sacked under this porous o-line, he steps up and gains 5 yards rushing instead of losing 7.

On third and 7 he throws an incomplete deep pass. Punt

Second series: 2-minute offense

He scanned the field and got a couple of 8-9 yard gains.

He has an innate ability to evade the pressure in the pocket and create on the run. He steps into the pocket again to evade the rush and completes a first down.

On the next play, again scans the field and takes another 9-yard gain that the defense gave him.

On first down, he throws a would-be td, but Johnson drops it. The next play the RB loses a yard rushing. On third down, Darnold throws a td to Johnson, but there is a penalty on the play. Next play on third and goal from the 14, he evades pressure by stepping up through the pocket and scrambles to the right to buy time and fires a td pass to Johnson.

No one is saying that he is the next Rodgers, but there isn't a QB that the Jets have had in the past 20 years that could do what he did today. He can just evade the pressure, create on the run, has a good arm, is a good leader, he's smart & studies the game all day long, and has the temperament to survive in NYC. He's unfazed by it all.

It looks like that hitch in his arm is already a thing of the past. If he can take care of the ball better, then he has the potential to be a top 10 franchise QB some day. Even Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs in his first season, so I'm sure Darnold will be inconsistent like most rookies especially considering that he only started 2 years in college.  I think he's definitely given most Jets fans hope.

Well it’s relative of course. He was a rookie making his first start. It wasn’t the greatest display of QBing by any means but he showed a lot of great qualities to build on. He read the field, looked off his main target on occasion, on the short passes he was extremely accurate to where he put it in stride and allowed yards after the catch (unlike Mayfield who got raves also), he moved well and delivered on the run. He showed poise, smarts, a strong arm and accuracy. He threw a nice deep pass also but his receiver, RB Cannon, turned the wrong way and couldn’t track it.

....and yes, Jets fans have some sense of desperation and pessimism so just not falling flat on his face is a win.

The best possible attribute of any player, he’s not a Brown.

First game, with 2's, against 2's, it was a really nice debut. 

If you want to make the point that there's too much hype, well OK.  ?

It was a very good debut, and while he wasn't whipping the ball 30 yards downfield, if that's what it takes to impress you from a rookie in his first preseason game, you might want to tap the brakes.

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta believes "it’d be an upset" if Sam Darnold does not start Week 1.

"Barring deer-in-the-headlights moments over the next couple weeks," Mehta writes. "The brain trust is happier with this kid with each passing day." Coming off an outstanding debut, Darnold received the bulk of the first-team reps this week and is expected to start the second preseason game on Thursday night. Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater are solid options, but the Jets have to start Darnold if he proves ready.

Source: New York Daily News 

Aug 16 - 10:49 AM

The next superstar QB... Mark it. He is doing things as a rookie that the Jets haven't seen at the QB position since Favre. Looking off defenders, throwing to the open man and not the short route, throwing a TD pass in 3 straight plays (First easy drop by WR, Second holding penalty, and Third a great pass to a WR by holding the safeties off with his eyes and not taking the running space bait the defense was giving him).

Think he’ll progress enough to break 6.0 ypa in any game this year?
The o-line was horrendous last night. A bad line was missing two starters. He had no time on any pass. He did a few good things - bought time rollling out and escaping pressure to complete passes, and led one nice drive. He forced a ball in on 4th down which would have been a turnover on downs anyway that was deflected for the interception. I don’t think that was a good pass but some have said no one else was open so he had little choice on 4th down.

if you’ve wanted the games you’d see he looks, poised, moves well, makes good decisions and has been deadly accurate. Who knows what the future holds but so far I’m optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread