What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (3 Viewers)

Rewatched his college and rookie highlights tonight, and I'm hyped again. Love Penny for later in the season when Carson's warrior style catches him once again.

Rashaad Penny rushed 10 times for 62 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 2 win over the Steelers.

He added a three-yard catch on his lone target. Penny handled just six carries in the Week 1 opener but saw more work in this one due to Chris Carson losing his second and third fumbles of the season. Penny, meanwhile, turned one of his totes into an impressive 37-yard touchdown scamper. Perhaps he's closing the gap a bit on Carson, though Carson was still involved on the final drive. Penny needs to be owned in all formats, but isn't yet anything more than an RB3 headed into Week 3 against the Saints.
Notable because maybe this is the game he starts turning this into a legit 1A/1B situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is questionable for the Seahawks' Week 3 matchup against the Saints.

Penny was a late addition to the report after apparently suffering a hamstring injury in practice Friday. His absence would result in a workhorse role for Chris Carson ahead of the Seahawks' home matchup against the Saints. C.J. Prosise could also see more snaps if Penny is ultimately sidelined.

SOURCE: Joe Fann on Twitter.

Sep 20, 2019, 5:05 PM ET

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is questionable for the Seahawks' Week 3 matchup against the Saints.

Penny was a late addition to the report after apparently suffering a hamstring injury in practice Friday. His absence would result in a workhorse role for Chris Carson ahead of the Seahawks' home matchup against the Saints. C.J. Prosise could also see more snaps if Penny is ultimately sidelined.

Bummer for Penny, but as a Carson owner I was a little nervous after he put the ball on the ground last week. Redemption coming?

Bummer for Penny, but as a Carson owner I was a little nervous after he put the ball on the ground last week. Redemption coming?
Redemption for Procise owners?

⏩

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is not expected to play in Week 3 against the Saints.

Penny was a shocking add to Friday's injury report following a strain in the final 20 minutes of Seattle's walkthrough. His injury isn't considered serious, but it's enough to hold him out Sunday. It's huge news for Chris Carson, who will now undoubtedly get every-down treatment after shakily losing two fumbles over the first two weeks. Consider Carson a strong RB1 at home with C.J. Prosise merely sprinkling in behind him.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 22, 2019, 1:51 AM ET

PROcisely!
I can see Prosise used as he was in the past on some passing packages, but not like he'll be looked at as a runner going forward - guy was 4/5 on the ground. Was much more effective as a pass catcher.

I'm afraid it's Penny who will be the beneficiary of Carson's fumble-itis. 

We will see if Penny can take the job -- he looks much better this year, but still needs to prove he can be effective with the lion's load. We'll see if he get's that share and what he does with it when he does.

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

It was reported that Penny's hamstring injury -- one that was somehow picked up during a Seahawks' walk-through practice last week -- was not overly serious, but Penny is questionable for Week 4 with today's "did not participate" tag. With a game against the Cardinals lined up, Chris Carson would be a prime bounce-back candidate if Penny can't suit up after poor game script and a fumble slowed Carson down in Week 3. The practice report on Thursday and Friday will determine Penny's Week 4 availability.
Why are there so many people in the Carson thread saying he's done and like nobody in the Penny thread?

The Frankman said:
Why are there so many people in the Carson thread saying he's done and like nobody in the Penny thread?
I would guess because there are a lot of people out there relying on Carson for RB2 production so his status and playing time are kinda a big deal. Most Penny owners are  just sitting back not expecting much but hoping he gets his chance at some point and is actually good.

I would guess because there are a lot of people out there relying on Carson for RB2 production so his status and playing time are kinda a big deal. Most Penny owners are  just sitting back not expecting much but hoping he gets his chance at some point and is actually good.
Yep

Just sitting here waiting for any possible "sell high" opportunity

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) returned to Seahawks practice Thursday, getting in a limited session.

Penny might still be on the outside looking in of returning after missing Week 3, but this at least gives him a chance to suit up against the Cardinals. Penny's return would render C.J. Prosise a nonentity in the Seahawks' backfield. It's unclear if it would have an effect on Chris Carson, who is under fire for fumbling. Both coach Pete Carroll and OC Brian Schottenheimer have insisted the team is sticking with Carson as its lead back.

Sep 26, 2019, 7:34 PM ET

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is questionable for Week 4.

Penny is shaping up as a true game-time decision for Sunday's matchup against the Cardinals. Chris Carson's continued fumble issues landed him on the bench in Week 3, as C.J. Prosise wound up playing on 55% of the offense's snaps. Penny's potential to miss another week, combined with coach Pete Carroll's public endorsement to Carson, could result in Carson working as the offense's lead back for at least another week barring any more ball-security issues. Still, this is an incredibly volatile situation that is anything but set in stone.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter.

Sep 27, 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny (questionable, hamstring) has "a good chance" to return this week.

Penny is still a game-time decision, but this gives some hope he could play. Even if he's active, he's likely not going to have much of a role at less than 100 percent. The Seahawks aren't giving up on Chris Carson after his early-season fumbles, but Penny's presence would put some heat on his snaps.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Sep 27, 2019, 6:10 PM ET

I want to downgrade Carson if he's active, but I can't imagine he will get that much work. I would think they would be careful with his snaps.

I'm biding my time with this... I dont think Carson will last.  Between fumbles, injury, or innefectiveness due to his marginal talent diminished even a little due to playing through an injury seem imminent. 

The reason I think the above is that Carson just seems to take a beating.  He's like the opposite of an RB who never takes square hits.  He doesn't even try to be elusive and he doesn't run out of bounds.  He's always fighting for more yards, and he's pretty slow... Lots of opportunities to get absolutely blasted and get injured or fumble.  I don't see a long shelf life there. 

I like the way he runs though, it's very effective how downhill he is. 

I want to downgrade Carson if he's active, but I can't imagine he will get that much work. I would think they would be careful with his snaps.
That's my take, too. If Carroll truly is OK moving away from Carson, he'll want Penny fully healed to take the load than risk aggravation of the injury in this game. I think if Carroll does take carries away from Carson, it will be to Prosise in this game, and Penny when fully healed.

Maybe but also why activate him if he's going to be severely limited? 
Keeps opponents guessing, Carroll is one who isn't exactly transparent even if there is no super-clear reason for subterfuge.

FWIW, my guess is Penny is used sparingly, and the team will give the ball to Carson early as his last chance, and move right away (mostly to Prosise) if he's not producing (or worse, fumbles).

It's also my guess that Carson knows this is his last stand, and runs well with the touches he's given, as if his job depends on it. Because it does.

Just my guesses, we'll see.

That's my take, too. If Carroll truly is OK moving away from Carson, he'll want Penny fully healed to take the load than risk aggravation of the injury in this game. I think if Carroll does take carries away from Carson, it will be to Prosise in this game, and Penny when fully healed.

Keeps opponents guessing, Carroll is one who isn't exactly transparent even if there is no super-clear reason for subterfuge.

FWIW, my guess is Penny is used sparingly, and the team will give the ball to Carson early as his last chance, and move right away (mostly to Prosise) if he's not producing (or worse, fumbles).

It's also my guess that Carson knows this is his last stand, and runs well with the touches he's given, as if his job depends on it. Because it does.

Just my guesses, we'll see.
I like Penny but is there anything he brings to the table that would have a defense guessing? 

Is he playing tomorrow?  And if so are any of your starting him and over who?  I have to decide bw him and rojo after the Barkley and guice injuries.  

he can catch better than most rbs. i assume that needs extra planning
I don’t think he can and he’s not the best pass catching Seattle back as is. I’m pretty sure 99% of what the DC is planning for is for when Wilson isn’t handing the ball off. 

Is he playing tomorrow?  And if so are any of your starting him and over who?  I have to decide bw him and rojo after the Barkley and guice injuries.  
Sounds like a GTD - and with it being a late game, tough to gamble.

I like Penny but is there anything he brings to the table that would have a defense guessing? 

watch his college tape.
I think @Soulfly3's comment is salient here. You are righ, @Ilov80s, that Penny's performance in the NFL hasn't shown flashes of elite talent. Carson clearly and unquestionably outplayed him thoroughly last year.

However, he's developing -- he came into camp leaner, looked much more explosive in camp and preseason, and looked solid in spelling Carson before he was injured.

I think it's true that he didn't bring anything to the table that clearly showed he could take the job and run with it. 

But that was last year.  He looked (to me, anyway) that he progressed YoY.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny (hamstring) "will be ready to go" for Week 4 against the Rams.

Carroll said the same thing about Penny last week before the second-year pro was scratched. With a quick turnaround against the Rams scheduled for Thursday, Penny's health is a question mark even if he's declared active. Barring his fifth fumble of the season, Chris Carson should be treated as an RB2 who's projected to log 70-plus percent of Seattle's offensive snaps. C.J. Prosise would fall to third on the depth chart.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 12:49 PM ET

He will be in my flex with Golloday on bye. If Rojo and Barber can have good days on the ground, no reason Carson and Penny can’t too. Fingers crossed. 

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) was listed as a full participant on the Seahawks' estimated practice report Monday.

The Seahawks didn't actually practice Monday, but they're required to submit an estimated practice report anyway. Penny's status as a full participant is great news for his chances at suiting up Thursday night against the Rams. His return to action could further shorten Chris Carson's leash, although Carson did manage to rack up 145 total yards on 26 touches without a fumble on Sunday. Both RBs are set up well against a Rams defense that struggled to limit Ronald Jones for most of Week 4.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter.

Sep 30, 2019, 4:27 PM ET

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) was removed from Seattle's injury report in Week 5 against the Rams.

Penny's missed Seattle's past two games with a hamstring injury but appears to be a full-go heading into Thursday. With Chris Carson's fumbling issue (hopefully) a thing of the past, Penny isn't expected to be sprinkled in heavily. The second-year runner was in on 29.8 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps prior to injury. C.J. Prosise will return to the bench in this divisional bout.

SOURCE: Joe Fann on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 4:04 PM ET

Rashaad Penny rushed six times for 18 yards in the Seahawks' Week 5 win over the Rams, adding two receptions for 31 additional yards.

Returning from a one-week layoff with a hamstring injury, Penny was a pure change-of-pace back to Chris Carson, who has gone on a heater since his fumbling nearly got him benched. With Carson breaking an otherworldly amount of tackles right now, Penny is going to have a hard time carving out FLEX value, even in the Seahawks' fully-established run offense.

Penny looked ineffective in his runs, getting bottled up early and often.

To be fair, Rams line was playing a stout run D, but where Carson showed power and fell forward for yards even when he was hit at the line, Penny didn’t.

Penny was simply spelling Carson tonight, primarily when Carson was gassed during his 27 carries.

To his credit, Penny did have one nice swing pass and caught a nice ball down the right sideline for a solid gain that set the Seahawks up deep in the Rams’ zone. Maybe it’s too critical of me but it almost seemed like a lazy route. Still got open and made the catch.

Given the Hawks’ success using Carson, not sure why they would change giving the load to Carson. And Penny just didn’t seem to have the same power or effectiveness that Carson brings to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread