What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mike Gesicki, CIN (1 Viewer)

I think he is a must start at this point based on the TE landscape.  He is a big part of the offense and will get consistent targets (as consistent as any non elite tier TE).  He is beyond a matchup play and I don't think Tua would change that if he got in. 

I was being a little hyperbolic. I'd put him in that tier with Andrews, Ertz, and whoever else.
Fair.  Higbee probably too.  I have to choose between him and Andrews in 2 leagues, and him and Ertz in 1.  Will likely start him over Henry and Engram in the other two leagues I own him.  I took him everywhere this year lol

So, how would he do when the Dolphins put Tua in as the starting QB?
Not as good. The timing would be off. Gesicki doesn't get a ton of separation so the ball needs to come out quick. Tua holds on to the ball too long and doesn't throw with anticipation. I'm not saying he's a bum, but he probably is.

Fitzpatrick is perfect for Gesicki. He's been around so long there's nothing he hasn't seen. Most importantly, Fitzmagic doesn't give two ####s, he doesn't even give one ####. He'll thread any needle big or small, or toss it up to the big fella whenever he feels like it. That's the gun-slinger mentality. Somebody's going to catch it, hopefully it's his teammate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair.  Higbee probably too.  I have to choose between him and Andrews in 2 leagues, and him and Ertz in 1.  Will likely start him over Henry and Engram in the other two leagues I own him.  I took him everywhere this year lol
I don't have this man Gesicki in any leagues. I feel despondent. But I rejoice at your good fortune. As an Eagles fan, you need a little sunshine to light up to your life right now.

Through two weeks, Dolphins TE Mike Gesicki has lined up in the slot on 79 percent of his snaps.

Gesicki in Week 2 was once again deployed primarily from the slot, turning 11 targets into eight grabs for 129 yards and a touchdown against the Bills. He's commanded 21 percent of Miami's targets through two weeks. Gesicki's Week 1 usage was encouraging despite a flop of a stat line (three catches for 30 yards), and his slot involvement continued in Week 2. He'll be a top tight end candidate in Week 3 against a Jacksonville defense fresh off giving up a career day to Jonnu Smith. 

Sep 21, 2020, 9:05 AM ET

He made one catch yesterday that was astounding--it was off and high and he basically corralled it by leaping high and using one hand to pull it in.  I drafted him as a rookie based on those kind of great catches in college and it is nice to see him finally fulfilling his NFL potential.  Most TEs take a few years to adapt to NFL.  Right now the only thing that could hold him back is QB play and a poor offense overall. But he should be a top 10 and maybe a top 6 TE.

In. Guy in my league panicked after week 1 and cut him. I scooped him up but didn't play him.

He's in from here on out over Engram.

Ertz was a keeper for me and I also drafted Gesicki.  My plan is to play the better matchup between the two going forward, so Gesicki gets the nod this week against JAX.

I have been on the breakout train since the end of last year and I see no reason that last week isn't the start of a special season

Preston Williams has underwhelmed and Parker is dinged up

I have been on the breakout train since the end of last year and I see no reason that last week isn't the start of a special season

Preston Williams has underwhelmed and Parker is dinged up
I just watched his week 2 highlights and I’m very impressed with his strength and speed and hands.

Made some great catches and Fitzmagic obviously trusts him.

Tempted to snag him but have Waller doing well and short benches. Not sure why someone hasn't snapped him up. I'd consider but RB's tend to get more points in the FLEX spot.

Tempted to snag him but have Waller doing well and short benches. Not sure why someone hasn't snapped him up. I'd consider but RB's tend to get more points in the FLEX spot.
Obviously depends on one's RBs. With all the RBBCs out there, for me Gesicki is seeing enough consistent volume to strongly consider at flex.

This guy kills me.  Started him weeks 1 and 3... benched week 2.  No clue what to do next week with him.

Mike Gesicki caught 1-of-3 targets for a 15-yard touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 3 win over the Jaguars.

Gesicki also drew a defensive pass interference penalty in the end zone. It was a bizarre statline on an evening where the Dolphins attempted only 20 passes. For his score, Ryan Fitzpatrick lofted a perfectly-placed ball for Gesicki to high point. Gesicki now has two touchdowns in five days, albeit on dramatically different receiving lines. With shootout/comeback game flow looming for Week 4 vs. the Seahawks, Gesicki will be a TE1. 

Sep 24, 2020, 11:51 PM ET

Great week to fire up Gesicki.  

Seattle has an explosive offense, an atrocious defensive secondary, and Jamal Adams is out for Week 4.  

If you don't have an elite (Kelce) TE,  start him!  

Mike Gesicki caught 1-of-3 targets for 15 yards in the Dolphins' Week 4 loss to the Seahawks. 

The Seahawks have been stingy up the seam so far this season, but it was a brutal afternoon against a defense that was missing Jamal Adams. There's no good explanation, especially since the near doughnut came as Preston Williams was also limited to one grab. He had a monster Week 2, but Gesicki has now posted catch counts of three, eight, one and one. Even in a dismal year for the tight end position, that is not going to get the TE1 job done. The 49ers are not a plus Week 5 matchup.   

Oct 4, 2020, 5:55 PM ET

I might be cutting him this week.  Very disappointing because I started him 2 times (and obviously not in week 2).

Surprising. Fitz threw the ball 45 times today but was very efficient spreading it around, with Gaskin, Breida and Grant all catching 3 and Isaiah Ford 4.   He looked Gesicki's way in the red zone but the Seahawks were all over him in coverage.

Looks like Parker is the dependable piece here.

I might be cutting him this week.  Very disappointing because I started him 2 times (and obviously not in week 2).

Surprising. Fitz threw the ball 45 times today but was very efficient spreading it around, with Gaskin, Breida and Grant all catching 3 and Isaiah Ford 4.   He looked Gesicki's way in the red zone but the Seahawks were all over him in coverage.

Looks like Parker is the dependable piece here.
I hear ya, but maybe that's why we should start him week 5. He'll be forgotten on benches and in end zones.

I have him and Engram and need a roster spot for an addition so Gesicki is the guy I'm dropping. At least Engram is getting the targets. Gesicki is not getting targeted much, that's the troublesome piece here. He's not worth a roster spot at this point.

So many angles to him, I'll try and throw some bones around

-He is every bit as good a pass catcher as advertised, people were excited last year and I wasn't sure I was seeing what they were but this guy has come on like a freight train in 2020. I understand this board or this site is usually STATS STATS STATS, what has he done for my FF Team etc...all i'm saying is this guy is more than just a 1 trick pony. He blocks, he can run routes both as a TE and in the slot when they choose to put him there. 

-Parker n Preston provide ample cover at this point so defenses CANNOT key in on him, if they do Miami will make them pay with the WRs, yes they have the talent to hurt your team, this is not the 0-7 Phins we all saw less than a year ago, wake up. 

-Redraft 2020, no matter how awesome he grades or looks I don't think Gesicki will see enough targets to be a top tier TE, he is a nice lower TE option or TE2/Flex, things like that. 

-Miami has a soft schedule next 6-7 weeks, how does that impact his 2020 numbers?

-Dynasty you ask? Well if your league survives then you likely have a pretty solid starter moving forward as long as Tua pans out which of course nobody knows at this point because Tua is never going to see the field so you never really know what you got here..,you might want to trade him. 

Mike Geiscki failed to catch either of his two targets in the Dolphins' Week 6 win over the Jets.

Meanwhile, both Adam Shaheen and Durham Smythe caught four-yard touchdowns. Gesicki has a pair of big games to his name this season, but has four duds under his belt, too. He's been extremely frustrating considering the amount of routes he's run through six weeks. Gesicki gets a bye before a Week 8 date with the Rams.

Oct 18, 2020, 8:27 PM ET

The crazy part is I feel like he's open a lot. Thank God I have Andrews (not that he's much better) but I feel like I've seen more open guys not get thrown to this year across all teams than ever before, and Gesicki is one of them. 

Obviously depends on one's RBs. With all the RBBCs out there, for me Gesicki is seeing enough consistent volume to strongly consider at flex.
Hard to believe that the Dolphins blowing teams out is a problem, but that is part of the issue. However it is crazy Miami isn't getting him the ball way more consistently. 

Short benches and Gesicki on a bye. I was actually thinking about dropping him for a weekly streamer due to his recent results... but the Tua news has me wondering if that’s the right call.

I’m not sure Gesicki‘s role in the offense is that of the traditional safety blanket you’d think of when liking a rookie QBs connection with the tight end.

the TE landscape this year has been a nightmare.  You think you have the right guy & he craps the bed.   rinse/repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread