What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mike Gesicki, CIN (2 Viewers)

It appears he is going to be inconsistent this year again. I am still hoping that when Tua eventually takes over that Gesicki will become a safety blanket for him.  

It appears he is going to be inconsistent this year again. I am still hoping that when Tua eventually takes over that Gesicki will become a safety blanket for him.  
Tua takes over starting now. In case you missed the news.
But that’s the thing and I mentioned it above. I don’t think Gesicki is the type of tight end that would be your typical safety blanket. He runs routes out of the slot and is at times more of a WR than a TE. Just my two pennies. He may not be that comfortable guy going over the middle of the field for a young QB to lock into. Doesn’t mean he still can’t be productive.

Mike Gesicki caught 1-of-2 targets for eight yards in the Dolphins' Week 8 win over the Rams.

Tua Tagovailoa went 12-of-22 for 93 yards and one score in his first career start. As one could imagine, none of the Dolphins' pass catchers did anything of note with that stat line. Myles Gaskin led the team in receiving with 3-16 on six targets. Laughable. Gesicki has 0-1 catches in four of his last five games.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Gesicki caught 2-of-5 targets for 40 yards in Week 10 against the Chargers.

Gesicki had a touchdown vultured by Durham Smythe. The 40 yards were second behind Jakeem Grant (43) in a game where Tua Tagovailoa threw for only 169 yards. Gesicki's role didn't change much with Preston Williams out. He'll be a back-end TE1 for Week 11 against the Broncos.

- Rotoworld

Mike Gesicki Week 12 Outlook - Dolphins at Jets

After finishing as a top-15 tight end in three of his first five games this year, Gesicki has failed to finish better than TE17 over his last five games. I do feel like he's inching up the radar a bit, though, as he's now totaled at least four targets and 40-plus yards in each of the last three games. You'd expect his targets to increase with Preston Williams out of the lineup and really no No. 2 wide receiver available to take those targets. If you just looked at his target share over the last three games, you'd see he's sitting at 15.4 percent, which isn't horrible. Knowing the Jets face an average of 36.8 pass attempts per game, we could see a six-target day for Gesicki. Against the Jets, that could be massive, as they've allowed 2.22 PPR points per target to tight ends, which is the third-highest mark in the league. It's a combination of both yardage (8.21 yards per target ranks as the 8th-most) and touchdowns (have allowed a touchdown every 9.0 targets, which is the fourth-most often). Through 10 games, there have been seven tight ends who've finished as the TE14 or better against them, including five top-eight performances. Gesicki is in the low-end TE1/high-end TE2 conversation this week.

Mike Gesicki caught 2-of-5 targets for 35 yards and a touchdown in Week 12 against the Jets.

Gesicki scored his first touchdown since Week 3 on a throw from Ryan Fitzpatrick in the back of the end-zone. He had another one vultured by backup TE Adam Shaheen in the fourth quarter. Gesicki and the entire Miami offense played better with Fitzpatrick starting.  Gesicki has a favorable matchup with the Bengals secondary in Week 13.

- Rotoworld

Mike Gesicki caught 5-of-6 targets for 65 yards and two touchdowns in the Dolphins' Week 14 loss to the Chiefs. 

Gesicki reeled in both of Tua Tagovailoa's touchdown tosses against KC, operating as Miami's main pass catching threat until he left the game in the fourth quarter with an arm injury. Miami tight ends were targeted a dozen times against KC with DeVante Parker and Jakeem Grant sidelined with injuries. This makes back-to-back massive outings for Gesicki, who went for 88 yards and a score last week against the Bengals. He's one of Tua's favorite targets and will be a TE1 play in Week 15 against New England. 

Dec 13, 2020, 5:45 PM ET

More importantly... what’s his injury and is he playing next weekend??
I doubt highly if you look at the way he landed and then popped off his head, there could be a lot wrong with him we don't even know about yet. I don't see him playing next week and Miami uses several TEs, not just one. It's a huge loss for the Phins. 

The Miami Herald reports Mike Gesicki (shoulder) will likely miss at least one game.

Gesicki dislocated his shoulder in Sunday's loss to the Chiefs. He didn't practice Wednesday, putting his Week 15 status in doubt. Coming off two of his best games, losing Gesicki downgrades a Miami passing game that's already missing Preston Williams. Adam Shaheen and Durham Smythe will pick up Gesicki's snaps if he's out this week.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Dec 16, 2020, 12:59 PM ET

Mike Gesicki (shoulder) is questionable for Week 15 against the Patriots.

Flores did add that Gesicki caught passes in practice this week and "is doing everything he can to get out there." He's suddenly on track to play this week after seeing 17 targets from Tua Tagovailoa in Miami's last two games. If active, Gesicki would slide in as a low-end TE1 if only for his touchdown equity.

SOURCE: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Dec 18, 2020, 1:06 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Dolphins TE Mike Gesicki (shoulder, questionable) has "a real chance of playing" in Week 15 against the Patriots. 

This news comes as a bit of a surprise because Gesicki left late in his Week 14 game with the shoulder injury and didn't look to be able to put weight on his arm. He still needs to make it through pre-game workouts and feel good enough to play but this is a step in the right direction. If he does end up being made active, Gesicki will slot right back in as a TE1 option this week.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 8:05 AM ET

Mike Gesicki (shoulder) was "limited" in Tuesday's practice. 

Gesicki seemed reasonably close to going against the Patriots in Week 15. There can be optimism for his fantasy finals status vs. the Raiders on Saturday evening. Gesicki will offer TE1 upside in a plus matchup, but his uncertain health would make him better treated as a TE2. 

Dec 22, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

Mike Gesicki (shoulder) got in another "limited" practice on Wednesday.

Gesicki missed Week 15 with the Dolphins craving pass catching talent. Hopefully he is trending in the right direction, as Gesicki would be an important addition inside the redzone for Tua Tagovailoa against a weak Raiders' defense.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:11 PM ET

Looks like engram. Arnold on the wire but not a lock to play.

Engram gets Jones back and Tate is out.

I had Giesicki too so I'm in the same boat . I swear Imade the wrong sit/start decision on him every week this season.

I've got Fant, Gronk, and Gesicki.  Gronk is the most likely of the three to disappear, in my opinion.  If Gesicki plays, I'll have a tough choice between him and Fant.  Still leaning Fant I think.  If Gesicki is out, it's going to be an easy decision, obviously.  

At worst, Gesicki would be a perfect decoy, I understand that doesn't help you FF managers. 

Also another thing to consider if he is active, Waller is going to be on the other side. Gesicki was playing out of mind vs KC when he got hurt, he wants to show that he one of the league's premier TEs, whether Miami gives him his 2nd contract or another team pounces on him, this is Year 3...the clock is ticking starting in the off season if they are going to keep him or not. 

I went with Gesicki over Fant.  Went back and forth, and eventually came to the conclusion that Gesicki's last three games played have been very good (at least a TD in each), while Fant's best games have been more spread out/sporadic.  Hoping that means Gesicki and Tua have something special that will extend into tonight.  Also hoping that it doesn't matter, at the end of the day, since I had Kamara get me a pretty big lead (but, I also had Brees).  

Ugh.... I have a love/hate relationship with Week 16. 

Mike Gesicki caught 4-of-7 targets for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 16 win over the Raiders.

Gesicki had two receptions for six yards before Ryan Fitzpatrick took over in the final minutes of the game. Four of his seven targets came on Fitzpatrick's first drive at QB. Gesicki converted on two of them for 48 yards and got Miami in field goal range. Unsurprisingly, Tagovailoa's low-risk style didn't put fantasy points on the board for Gesicki. Despite Fitzpatrick's heroics, Tagovailoa was named the starter for Week 17 against the Bills. Expect low-end TE1 numbers from Gesicki once again.

Dec 27, 2020, 12:05 AM ET

Mike Gesicki caught 4-of-10 targets for 47 yards in the Dolphins' Week 17 loss to the Bills.

This closes Gesicki's best campaign as a pro, as the uber-athlete continues to develop in each of his three seasons. He closes the regular season with 85 targets, 703 yards and six touchdowns, emerging as a great redzone target when isolated in man coverage. Chan Gailey and other pieces of the Dolphins offense will be questioned this offseason, but Devante Parker and Gesicki are two pieces to build with. He likely will be drafted as a top 10 TE ahead of the 2021 season.

- Rotoworld

Gesicki like a man among boys. Perfect 30 yard air pass from Tua, broken tackle, 1st and goal. He's in for a big year.
He’s a cheap(er) TE on my radar. I held him last year in redraft continuing to hear he’d break out and he was another “tight end that would play in the slot” but he never really did except for a game or two with a huge catch. It did make me watch most of his plays last year and I know he has the talent.  I could see him taking a big step this year with more practice with Tua and comfort.

I offered Gesicki for Logan Thomas in a ppr dynasty league (because I'm a Skins homer) and it was rejected. I figured with the age difference and Gesicki's upside that was a no brainer offer for him to accept. I figured wrong  :shrug:

I offered Gesicki for Logan Thomas in a ppr dynasty league (because I'm a Skins homer) and it was rejected. I figured with the age difference and Gesicki's upside that was a no brainer offer for him to accept. I figured wrong  :shrug:
Needs the addition of at least a 2nd on your side 

In the Chicago game, he beat a LB on a deep crossing pattern, a pass 30 yards downfield, and then broke a tackle for another 20 yards. He also outpositioned a safety on a 3rd and 6 out pattern, that was contested but Mike held on for a 1st down. Tua was on target and on time on both passes. 

Mike Gesicki was held without a catch on two targets in the Dolphins' Week 1 win over the Patriots. 

Uh oh. ESPN Stats and Info charted Gesicki as playing just 20-of-52 snaps. Durham Smythe was on the field for 17 more plays, while rookie Hunter Long played only two fewer. This was with Adam Shaheen on the COVID-19 list. One game was one game, but to say this was concerning usage and output would be putting it mildly. Now Will Fuller returns in Week 2 to further crowd the targets competition. The Dolphins will be hosting the bills in their home opener.

Lol at people getting upset about the TE position. 
Which positions are important? Does QB need any study time? Kickers and Defenses should be chucked out the window and really the RB1 spot has been reduced to a handful of folks and then you have maybe roughly 20-25 WRs that really matter on any given Sunday so what exactly should folks be focused on?  

Which positions are important? Does QB need any study time? Kickers and Defenses should be chucked out the window and really the RB1 spot has been reduced to a handful of folks and then you have maybe roughly 20-25 WRs that really matter on any given Sunday so what exactly should folks be focused on?  
Wut?   Typical of you. 

Users who are viewing this thread