What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, KC (2 Viewers)

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 3-of-6 targets for 19 yards in the Packers' Week 2 win over the Vikings.

Aron Rodgers and MVS couldn't hit any big plays, which will generally mean MVS was quiet in fantasy. He won't yet be saving days with volume. With a modest seven receptions for 71 yards through two games, MVS will be a low-floor WR4 for next week's game against the Broncos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 3-of-7 targets for 47 yards in the Packers' Week 4 loss to the Eagles.

MVS was also called for offensive pass interference and was the intended target on Aaron Rodgers' game-ending end zone interception. MVS was completely draped by defenders and the ball was batted up into the air. MVS, frankly, should have had a bigger night against the Eagles' completely depleted secondary. The second-year pro is averaging a solid-but-unspectacular 54 yards through four games as the Pack's No. 2 wideout. He has one score. With reinforcements not on the way, he will be needed for more. The Cowboys' solid secondary is on tap for Week 5.

Next stop - waivers. 

Seriously, he needs to put two weeks together before you can even flex him so he's unusable until week 7 at best.

Even his TD last week was a bit fluky.  Broken play where the D was called for offsides and the D let up and Rodgers threw deep on a freebie.

ETA:  unless Adams misses time

Next stop - waivers. 

Seriously, he needs to put two weeks together before you can even flex him so he's unusable until week 7 at best.

Even his TD last week was a bit fluky.  Broken play where the D was called for offsides and the D let up and Rodgers threw deep on a freebie.

ETA:  unless Adams misses time
I put him on waivers for one of the Allen QBs (the rookie) last night before I'd heard about Adams's injury. Makes me want to :wall:

MVS was still in the game plan last night for sure, just a few things didn't go his way.

And with Rodgers, you never know how he will spread it around any given day outside of Adams.

MVS was still in the game plan last night for sure, just a few things didn't go his way.

And with Rodgers, you never know how he will spread it around any given day outside of Adams.
MVS was close to having 2 TD's last night. He's still very much the #2 pass catcher in that offense, and almost certainly will be #1 the next few weeks, as a turf toe injury is usually not something a WR can play through.

MVS is more likely to be a solid WR2, than a drop worthy player over the next few weeks, especially with a nice schedule coming up, against either bad pass defenses or potential shootout games.

Yeah MVS had one TD overthrown to him, interfered with on another long play (no call), and the last play of the game got got straight bear-hugged before the ball arrived. He could've had 2 TDs in the game and easily another 50 yards, and now he should be in line for more targets.

Adams will miss some time.  MVS will be the #1 option.  He's still young and needs more polish.  Now is a great opportunity for him to grow.  Rodgers and staff will now game plan for him but I'm expecting WR3 production WR2 at best.  Again he's a young player with only 20 NFL games on his resume.  He definitely should not be on waivers and with bye weeks I feel comfortable using him.

Adams will miss some time.  MVS will be the #1 option.  He's still young and needs more polish.  Now is a great opportunity for him to grow.  Rodgers and staff will now game plan for him but I'm expecting WR3 production WR2 at best.  Again he's a young player with only 20 NFL games on his resume.  He definitely should not be on waivers and with bye weeks I feel comfortable using him.
Young and needing more polish is how you could have described Adams a few years back. It’s possible this Adams injury is actually a good  thing for the Packers if MVS responds to being thrown into the fire the way Adams did when Nelson went down.

Young and needing more polish is how you could have described Adams a few years back. It’s possible this Adams injury is actually a good  thing for the Packers if MVS responds to being thrown into the fire the way Adams did when Nelson went down.
I recall those days when Adams was a 2nd year pro because I also had him on my team.  He was running wrong routes, dropping balls, Rodgers was yelling at him during games on national TV.  To your point, a young receiver will have ups and downs.  Short term MVS will have growing pains.  I bet he will be on several championship teams later on this year.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling was limited with hamstring and calf issues on Thursday.

It would appear the Packers are just limiting MVS' reps, though a receiver's status can never be taken for granted when they are listed with soft-tissue injuries. Coming off a disappointing day in Davante Adams' Week 5 absence, MVS will be a low-floor WR4 with Adams once again expected to sit against the Lions.

Oct 10, 2019, 4:57 PM ET

per RotoWire MVS a full participant at practice today, Friday. looks like he'll be WR1 again this Sunday, for whatever that's worth at this point. WR1 for the Packers and i am ecstatic i don't have to start him. so wrong. hope he goes off for anyone who needs him.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught both of his targets for 48 yards in the Packers' Week 6 win over the Lions.

MVS wasn't targeted until catching a 46-yard bomb on the first play of the fourth quarter. He rolled up his ankle earlier in the contest but returned for the start of the second half. MVS has been held to 52 yards or fewer in all but one game this season. Now a run-dominated offense, Aaron Rodgers isn't able to support three and four pass-catchers like in years past. MVS will be a low-floor WR4 option next week against the Raiders.

Oct 15, 2019, 12:24 AM ET

Marquez Valdes-Scantling (ankle, knee) "did not participate" Wednesday according to the Packers' estimated practice report.

Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison were estimated to miss practice, too. Valdes-Scantling was rolled up on last week but was able to tough it out in the second half. The DNP tag is a tad concerning, although it's too early in the week to panic. MVS has two days to get in a limited practice to get back on track for a Week 7 start against the Raiders. He'll be a bye-week flex option if he's ready to go.

SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 7:28 PM ET

Already dropped him Tuesday after drafting him 7.10 in a 14 teamer. He needs Adams back to get free because he can't handle #1 corners and now the soft tissue injuries are mounting.

Sorry.  MVS was in my lineup this week (covering Mike Evans' bye and AJ Green's whatever it is).

Now I'm off to the waiver wire for a stopgap, and Corey Davis seems like he's probably the best available.  Maybe Dede Westbrook (if he plays).

Gave up on him. Cant do it with or without Adams.  Maybe next year
Some additional context.  I watched the game and MVS did get open several plays.  I read that he's in Rodgers' doghouse who wasn't even looking his way.  If you'll recall this is very typical of Rodgers.  He has a huge ego.  If you are involved in a play that causes an interception you're in the doghouse because Rodgers does not like +int next to his stats.  He expects "greatness" and you have to perform according to "his expectations".  He did this with Devante Adams.  However, a talented receiver like MVS won't stay there for long.  Eventually MVS will get out of this doghouse and the numbers will come.  Take this bit of info and do what you like.  I'm holding.

Some additional context.  I watched the game and MVS did get open several plays.  I read that he's in Rodgers' doghouse who wasn't even looking his way.  If you'll recall this is very typical of Rodgers.  He has a huge ego.  If you are involved in a play that causes an interception you're in the doghouse because Rodgers does not like +int next to his stats.  He expects "greatness" and you have to perform according to "his expectations".  He did this with Devante Adams.  However, a talented receiver like MVS won't stay there for long.  Eventually MVS will get out of this doghouse and the numbers will come.  Take this bit of info and do what you like.  I'm holding.
I've read the same thing...either way unless you have super deep benches its going to be hard to hold him for potentially years before he gets out of GB and even then who knows.  If he doesnt show up soon he's going to have to get churned out of my dynasty roster.

Kinda agree MVS dropped a couple of easy passes in the Philly game loss a few weeks ago and sure enough after

the game Rogers mouthed off that he has to catch those and has been on the back burner since.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison have 48 hours to "see if they come around."

Neither practiced this week, which usually means they won't suit up, but the Packers may have to force MVS into the lineup since Davante Adams (toe) is out and Allison hasn't cleared the concussion protocol. Valdes-Scantling is heading for a game-time decision. If he ultimately can't play, Jake Kumerow and Allen Lazard would be flex options for those in bye-week trouble.

RELATED: 

Geronimo Allison

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 1:34 PM ET

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Marquez Valdes-Scantling (questionable, ankle/knee) is "hopeful" he can play Week 7 against the Raiders.

Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison (questionable, concussion/chest) were listed as DNPs at practice this week, though miraculously it appears both will have a shot at playing Sunday against Oakland. MVS has largely underwhelmed in Davante Adams' absence, drawing a mere six targets from Aaron Rodgers the past two weeks. Allen Lazard and Jake Kumerow will be at the ready if either of Valdes-Scantling or Allison can't go in Week 7.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 20, 2019, 8:14 AM ET

Now I need to decide between him and Robby Anderson.
I went with Robbie. I think we’ll see GB emphasizing the run and there is a good chance that MVS will not make it through the game. I’m also thinking that the Jets will end up chasing the game late, so there could be some garbage time points in the offing. Neither are good choices...

Wouldn't trust either, even if 100% healthy.
After holding those two (and Kumerow etc) on many rosters since early LAST season figuring I had a good chance at getting GB's clear #2, I agree with Dizzy here.

In 2 or 3 leagues this week, I am starting Lazard over one or both of these two - whether they are active or not. I'll take my chances on the big fellow who came in cold and caught 80% of the balls thrown his way.

I went with Robbie. I think we’ll see GB emphasizing the run and there is a good chance that MVS will not make it through the game. I’m also thinking that the Jets will end up chasing the game late, so there could be some garbage time points in the offing. Neither are good choices...
Good call, dummy. Also didn’t start Rodgers.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 2-of-3 targets for 133 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 7 win over the Raiders.

MVS did not start, and was 4-of-4 in snaps to Allen Lazard, Jake Kumerow and Geronimo Allison. His knee and ankle issues were likely to blame. He still ended up leading the Packers in receiving thanks to his 74-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. With MVS running a simple out, the safety got sucked in too far, and MVS was off to the races down the left sideline. Having avoided setbacks today, it stands to reason MVS will see a bigger snap count for next week's plus matchup with the Chiefs.

Oct 20, 2019, 6:54 PM ET

Marquez Valdes-Scantling (ankle, knee) was a full participant in practice Wednesday.

This is a good sign after MVS was limited to just 20 snaps in Week 7. With Davante Adams (toe) listed as a "did not participate" in practice Wednesday, Valdes-Scantling and the other Packers' secondary receivers will likely be flex options against the Chiefs on Sunday Night Football.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 6:41 PM ET

Packers 'back to square one' with their WRs unless ... Antonio Brown, anyone?

Excerpt:

Marquez Valdes-Scantling (64 catches, 1,033 yards, four touchdowns)

The fifth-round pick in 2018 was supposed to be the deep-threat receiver. He ran a 4.37-second 40 at the NFL scouting combine. He looked the part early on, posting a pair of 100-yard games (both on just three catches) as a rookie and started fast in 2019. But after a two-catch, 133-yard game against the Raiders on Oct. 20, the 6-4 Valdes-Scantling caught just five more passes the rest of the season for 36 yards.

“He is their vertical guy, but I guess he had issues last year,” the NFC scout said. “Did he fall out of favor with Aaron or something? I was a big fan of his coming out of college.”

Said the AFC scout: “I actually liked Valdes-Scantling. I had probably a fifth-round grade on Valdes-Scantling, and I think in the right place I thought he could be a scheme-fit starter. I thought he had obviously vertical speed and some tools. At some point last year, I thought he went past that, but then he leveled off.”

Is it me or has the Packers been struggling to find a WR#2 for years?  Perhaps Sternberger as a TE steps up this year (or next).

NFL training camp 2020: Fans get first glimpse of Chiefs; Rams test SoFi Stadium turf

Excerpt:

Remember when Marquez Valdes-Scantling was a big part of the Green Bay Packers' offense -- with a 99-yard game and a 133-yard game in the first seven weeks of last season -- and then disappeared? Well, it looks like coach Matt LaFleur and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett are trying to replicate the first part. The third-year deep-threat receiver caught a pair of passes from Aaron Rodgers on Saturday in team periods -- one on a deep cross and another on a stop route in the middle of the field. It's a tight battle between Valdes-Scantling, Allen Lazard and Equanimeous St. Brown for the spots behind No. 1 receiver Davante Adams. "I've seen him stack two great practices back to back," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said of Valdes-Scantling. "That's the challenge to him on a daily basis. He's got to go out there and do it." -- Rob Demovsky

The Packers want WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to be the No. 2 receiver behind Davante Adams because he brings "game braking speed" to the offense. 

That's according to beat writer Jim Owczarski, who answered questions about the Packers depth chart in a Reddit Q&A. The team "would like MVS to really establish himself" as the No. 2 receiver, as no other pass catcher outside Adams has the ability to blow by defenders. Allen Lazard's prospects could get very shaky very quickly if MVS emerges as the No. 2 in the coming weeks. That doesn't appear likely at the moment. 

SOURCE: Reddit.com 

Aug 23, 2020, 5:26 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread