What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amy Klobuchar for President 2020 (1 Viewer)

Of all the Democrats I like her the best, but she certainly isn't without flaws.  However, she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in winning the democratic nomination.  Her lack of popularity with the African American vote is enough to ensure that.

Of all the Democrats I like her the best, but she certainly isn't without flaws.  However, she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell in winning the democratic nomination.  Her lack of popularity with the African American vote is enough to ensure that.
Eh, who is popular with the black electorate right now besides Biden (somewhat)?

I do think that pairing Kobuchar with Deming or Jeffries would be lethal. It’s all about WI-MN-MI-PA, IMO.

It looks like Klobuchar will get one delegate in Iowa. I apparently don't understand apportionment because I thought you needed 15% to get delegates and she had 12.3%.  It should keep her in for the Nevada debate, which could have been a struggle if she had to rely on polling (4 polls @ 10%+)

It looks like Klobuchar will get one delegate in Iowa. I apparently don't understand apportionment because I thought you needed 15% to get delegates and she had 12.3%.  It should keep her in for the Nevada debate, which could have been a struggle if she had to rely on polling (4 polls @ 10%+)
I think the 15% thing is precinct-by-precinct, not overall. If someone gets 15% in a single precinct, she officially exists.

I thought it was also a general Dem rule across states that you need 15% of votes to get delegates. This does say "typically", so maybe some exception:
"Delegates are allocated proportionally based on the outcome of each state's primary contest. A candidate is typically only eligible to receive a share of the pledged delegates at stake if they win at least 15 percent of votes cast in a primary or caucus. That standard is referred to as the 15 percent threshold.

https://ballotpedia.org/Democratic_delegate_rules,_2020

I like Amy but she does not have a chance. Warren did not look good last night.   Biden did not look good either but he still is popular. Right now it looks like Biden, Bernie and Pete.

Mystery Achiever said:
I thought it was also a general Dem rule across states that you need 15% of votes to get delegates. This does say "typically", so maybe some exception:
"Delegates are allocated proportionally based on the outcome of each state's primary contest. A candidate is typically only eligible to receive a share of the pledged delegates at stake if they win at least 15 percent of votes cast in a primary or caucus. That standard is referred to as the 15 percent threshold.

https://ballotpedia.org/Democratic_delegate_rules,_2020
That’s consistent with what MT wrote.   If they apply it at the precinct level, Klobuchar could get 12% overall, but > 15% in certain precincts, and thus receive delegates in the precincts where she has >15% of the “votes”.

Amy gaining momentum still today. May end up beating Biden in NH.
2 polls yesterday had her third, with Biden/Warren holding down the 4/5 spots.  I'd be thrilled with either Amy or Pete as the eventual nominee.  Amy/Cory would be a ticket that I think many folks could get behind.

2 polls yesterday had her third, with Biden/Warren holding down the 4/5 spots.  I'd be thrilled with either Amy or Pete as the eventual nominee.  Amy/Cory would be a ticket that I think many folks could get behind.
After watching Biden the last couple of weeks he is going downhill fast in all ways.   Warren is toast, DNC does not want Bernie.  I think Amy would be a good choice.  Amy with Pete as VP would not be a bad option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how she is registered, but she at least leans and "presents as"  Democratic. 
Thanks. I only ask because IRRC something like 42% in N.H. regard themselves as independents. How that segment goes in NH could be a good indicator of general election prospects.

"In 2016, Bernie Sanders won a whopping 73 percent of these independent voters. But in our NBC News/Marist poll we released on Friday, Sanders was getting just 22 percent of them — compared with Buttigieg at 25 percent and Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren at 10 percent apiece."

After watching Biden the last couple of weeks he is going downhill fast in all ways.   Warren is toast, DNC does not want Bernie.  I think Amy would be a good choice.  Amy with Pete as VP would not be a bad option.
Amy is definitely finding the groove at the right time. She outlasted em all. 

I’d think she go Booker or another African American male candidate.

Thanks. I only ask because IRRC something like 42% in N.H. regard themselves as independents. How that segment goes in NH could be a good indicator of general election prospects.
43% undeclared. I only know that because I checked that  they were open primary before responding.

Amy is definitely finding the groove at the right time. She outlasted em all. 

I’d think she go Booker or another African American male candidate.
She has a short window while she doesn't have to compete with Bloomberg. May she make the most of it. 
Deval Patrick could be interesting VP choice, balancing her with executive experience.

Well credentialed, educationally.  Administrative experience limited to running a county attorney's office.  I much prefer governors to senators for candidates. I like experience as a chief administrative officer, ideally in politics. alternatively I like military command.  I do not like debaters, senators, members of the greatest deliberative body since the Greeks, Romans or The View panel. 

Opinion piece from this afternoon's USA Today...not sure Clay Aiken holds a lot of sway...but an interesting data point supporting that at least part of Klobuchar's surge is at the expense of a crumbling Biden. He's going down.

Clay Aiken on 2020 primary: Why I'm changing my vote from Joe Biden to Amy Klobuchar

It was difficult for me to move my support from Joe Biden. But Amy Klobuchar is simply a better candidate for the 2020 race against Donald Trump.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/02/10/clay-aiken-biden-klobuchar-2020-democratic-primary-column/4714103002/

One thing she managed to do during the impeachment that I noticed- she got more airtime. I don’t know how it was managed, but it seemed like she was on MSNBC and CNN a lot more than Warren or Sanders. She was always there at every break to be interviewed. I think that increased her exposure.

Then when everybody was confused  about Iowa she was the first one to get on the air. She had no idea how she did, neither did anybody else. But while they were all waiting for results she gives a speech that all the networks covered. Way to seize the moment. 

If Amy somehow gets the nomination things like the above will be remembered. 

One thing she managed to do during the impeachment that I noticed- she got more airtime. I don’t know how it was managed, but it seemed like she was on MSNBC and CNN a lot more than Warren or Sanders. She was always there at every break to be interviewed. I think that increased her exposure.

Then when everybody was confused  about Iowa she was the first one to get on the air. She had no idea how she did, neither did anybody else. But while they were all waiting for results she gives a speech that all the networks covered. Way to seize the moment. 

If Amy somehow gets the nomination things like the above will be remembered. 
Agree with most of this, except they all had a good idea how well they did. It just wasn’t “official”.

To the extent that Hillary's staff loved her while she was portrayed as a ##### in the general culture, I guess that's right.  180 degree difference.

FWIW, I don't think the fact that Klobuchar can apparently be an abusive boss is totally disqualifying, but I also don't think it means nothing.  
I don’t think it means much. Winston Churchill was an abusive boss; FDR was not. Donald Trump is an abusive boss. The late Kobe Bryant was known to be rude to those who worked for him, Pete Carroll is supposed to be extraordinarily kind to everyone. So my point is it doesn’t tell us anything about performance. 

Everybody is suddenly talking about a third place finish for Amy. I’d love to see her do better than that. But a 3rd place finish could still make her the talk of the night. 

To the extent that Hillary's staff loved her while she was portrayed as a ##### in the general culture, I guess that's right.  180 degree difference.

FWIW, I don't think the fact that Klobuchar can apparently be an abusive boss is totally disqualifying, but I also don't think it means nothing.  
I think that her being an 'abusive boss' is a great sign to indicate how strong of a candidate she actually is. This is the best the dirt diggers can find on her? Then sign me up.

You need to go ahead and shift from Pete to Amy now so you have enough time to jump over to Bloomberg later. ;)  
Right now Amy is my #1.   Still think the DNC wants Bloomy or anyone but Bernie.

Bloomberg is pounding local TV in my area with ads.   4-5 every hour and they are a minute long.

Mondale, Humphrey, and now Klobuchar. (sounds like a Pokémon character).

Well-educated person.  Fine attorney.  Insufficient administrative experience.  Minnesotans are Vice Presidents, not Presidents.

I think that her being an 'abusive boss' is a great sign to indicate how strong of a candidate she actually is. This is the best the dirt diggers can find on her? Then sign me up.
This is the first time she’s really sniffed double-digit polling. I doubt they’ve been digging that hard. Particularly in the primaries when nobody is going to start shouting Burisma at Biden or calling Warren Pocahontas. Or talking about the FBI investigation of Jane Sanders. 

I imagine if the Klobuchar surge happens, we’ll start hearing some objections to elements of her record as a prosecutor, much as we heard with Harris. 

Despite being significantly to the left of her, I’ve always liked Klobuchar. She’s legitimately funny in a way very few politicians are. And I was inclined to chalk the bad boss stories up to double-standards for female bosses. But the actual emails and confirmed stories disappointed me. She seemed to paint mistakes as some sort of personal attack against her, and the boss as victim routine is kind of Trumpian to me. More generally, I just think a leader should punch up and not down. 

TripItUp himself has said he would vote for her.
Correct 

And  many in this forum don’t understand because they lack perspective.  I have never voted along party lines because neither party represents me well.

my current order is 

1) klobuchar 

2) Trump

I was on the Klobuchar train before it was trendy.

It's a subtle, witty kind of humor.

"And while Bernie wrote the bill, I read the bill. And on page 8, on page 8 of the bill, it says that we will no longer have private insurance as we know it. And that means that 149 million Americans will no longer be able to have their current insurance. That's in four years."

"But what you said, Pete, when you were campaigning through Iowa as three of us were jurors in that impeachment hearing, you said that it was exhausting to watch and that you wanted to turn the channel and watch cartoons.

I decided to give Amy a look for the topics that are important to me

https://medium.com/@AmyforAmerica/turning-ideas-into-action-senator-klobuchar-on-gun-violence-57fb7bc94d67

none of what she proposes will have any real impacts - which is what I expected

https://amyklobuchar.com/issue/health-care/

working people pay for everyone who doesn't work's insurance .... pro-abortion ... again what I expected

https://amyklobuchar.com/issue/a-strong-democracy/

"including automatically registering every 18-year-old in this country to vote" ........... notice it didn't say you had to be a US citizen :(   

I did some research here .... on her site and others .... I see nothing separating her from being just another Democrat clone. Nothing separates her. 

am I missing something ?

It's a subtle, witty kind of humor.

"And while Bernie wrote the bill, I read the bill. And on page 8, on page 8 of the bill, it says that we will no longer have private insurance as we know it. And that means that 149 million Americans will no longer be able to have their current insurance. That's in four years."

"But what you said, Pete, when you were campaigning through Iowa as three of us were jurors in that impeachment hearing, you said that it was exhausting to watch and that you wanted to turn the channel and watch cartoons.
I would have never guessed that was humor. 

Users who are viewing this thread