What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Admit it - Browns got it 100% right in the draft with Mayfield/Chubb (2 Viewers)

Had the Browns taken Mahomes does anyone truly believe he'd have similar success under Hue Jackson that he's had under Andy Reid?  
Mahomes has had the benefit of A) sitting for a year, B) being tutored by a Pro Bowl QB, and C) playing for a franchise with a history of winning.

So, even if you had theoretically placed Mahomes in Cleveland in 2017 and installed Andy Reid as his coach, it's unlikely that he would have turned into the exact same player that his is right now because the Cleveland franchise would have found a way to screw it all up.

edit: and by the same token, Mayfield's development is currently being stunted by the fact that he plays for Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless Andy Reid comes with him I don't think Mahomes is Mahomes anywhere else.
Fair point.  I didn't realize how drastic the splits have been for Mayfield before/after Jackson/Haley were fired.  Kitchens has a really good reputation in the league and apparently is keeping up with that in Cleveland.  I can see why Bruce Arians only said he would return to coaching only if it were for the Browns.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/12/19/18147754/baker-mayfield-freddie-kitchens-cleveland-browns?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Ried/Mahomes < Baker/Kitchens 

But

Baker/Kitchens/Denzel Ward > Ried/Mahomes

The Browns picked up the Texans 1st round pick this year used to draft CB Denzel Ward.

Had the Browns taken Mahomes does anyone truly believe he'd have similar success under Hue Jackson that he's had under Andy Reid?  

But lets say the Browns took Mahomes and he was able to overcome poor coaching by Hue Jackson and won a handful of games last year?  The Browns wouldn't have had the 1st pick of this year's draft AND they wouldn't have the 4th pick and 'might' still have Hue Jackson.

Terrible situation so they are in a FAR BETTER place going forward with Baker AND Denzel Ward.
Pretty much this - we may not be where we are now if last December played out differently, but we always must remember that Sashi died for this.  He's the hero we deserved, but not the one we needed then.  So we needed to hunt him.  Because he could take it...because he's not a hero. He was our silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A Dark Knight.

It's pretty funny that the Browns haven't been a betting favorite this big in over a decade... against Jackson who is again the huge underdog on another team.

MAC_32 said:
Pretty much this - we may not be where we are now if last December played out differently, but we always must remember that Sashi died for this.  He's the hero we deserved, but not the one we needed then.  So we needed to hunt him.  Because he could take it...because he's not a hero. He was our silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A Dark Knight.
Sashi was like Civil War general McClellan who assembled and organized the Union troops but Dorsey is like Grant who took them to battle.

Time to take another look at Sashi's Wentz haul because the route to Baker leads directly to that deal.

Won't go over every pick but we traded down once again from Philly's #8 pick in the 2016 draft for the 2017 #12th pick of the 1st round that was traded down to #25 for Jabrill Peppers which in turn lead to the #4 pick where we got CB Denzel Ward.  Not to mention the 2017 #53 pick in the 2nd round for DeShone Kizer who was traded for FS Damarious Randall.

And if Sashi had selected Wentz we 'most likely' would have won a few more games in 2016 which means we 'most likely' would not have gotten Sahi's best draft pick, DE Myles Garrett with the #1 pick of 2017.  And we certainly would not have Baker Mayfield today.

Sashi's Wentz deal has netted 3 young solid starters in the secondary.  Denzel is already one of the best at his position.  Myles Garrett comes indirectly by not taking Wentz.

The coup de gras is that Sashi bought RB Nick Chubb from Houston for Brock Osweiler's contract, basically $16 million and we still are rock solid with our salary cap once again thanks to Sashi.  

The only thing we don't know is what he would have done with the draft picks and salary cap that he assembled but it has turned out OK IMHO.

Sashi was like Civil War general McClellan who assembled and organized the Union troops but Dorsey is like Grant who took them to battle.

Time to take another look at Sashi's Wentz haul because the route to Baker leads directly to that deal.

Won't go over every pick but we traded down once again from Philly's #8 pick in the 2016 draft for the 2017 #12th pick of the 1st round that was traded down to #25 for Jabrill Peppers which in turn lead to the #4 pick where we got CB Denzel Ward.  Not to mention the 2017 #53 pick in the 2nd round for DeShone Kizer who was traded for FS Damarious Randall.

And if Sashi had selected Wentz we 'most likely' would have won a few more games in 2016 which means we 'most likely' would not have gotten Sahi's best draft pick, DE Myles Garrett with the #1 pick of 2017.  And we certainly would not have Baker Mayfield today.

Sashi's Wentz deal has netted 3 young solid starters in the secondary.  Denzel is already one of the best at his position.  Myles Garrett comes indirectly by not taking Wentz.

The coup de gras is that Sashi bought RB Nick Chubb from Houston for Brock Osweiler's contract, basically $16 million and we still are rock solid with our salary cap once again thanks to Sashi.  

The only thing we don't know is what he would have done with the draft picks and salary cap that he assembled but it has turned out OK IMHO.
This is how you build a team, but getting the picks right matters a lot

BusterTBronco said:
Darnold is lighting it up against the Packers.  What was that you were saying about hot trash?
as per 3pm:

Mayfield: 19 of 25 / 76.0% / 167yds / 3tds / 133QBR

Darnold: 15 of 20 / 75% / 206yds / 1td / 126QBR

ANyways, the "hot trash" comment, was in regards to Darnold being a better NFL qb longterm than Mayfield. Not that Darnold is hot trash

I dont buy that for a second, nor did i ever.

BusterTBronco said:
Darnold is lighting it up against the Packers.  What was that you were saying about hot trash?
Nobody who seriously watches football thinks Darnold will be better than Mayfield.

Mayfield has made several throws today that make me absolutely convinced the Browns are the team to beat in the AFC North for the next ten years.  

Mayfield has made several throws today that make me absolutely convinced the Browns are the team to beat in the AFC North for the next ten years.  
It's too bad they hung onto Jackson to start this season.  Would have been interesting to see what they could do in the postseason.

they’re still a year or two away from making any real noise in the playoffs, imo. 
Agreed, but they have the makeup imo to be really good if they can develop their talent. 

I was pretty skeptical about Mayfield, as his attitude reminded me of Ryan Leaf, but I was wrong; he looks like the real deal.

And Hue Jackson just looks dumber and dumber every week. 
Yep, same. For much the same reason. 

I was pretty skeptical about Mayfield, as his attitude reminded me of Ryan Leaf, but I was wrong; he looks like the real deal.

And Hue Jackson just looks dumber and dumber every week. 
Staring down a s### coach on a s### team every time he plays him is going to be the highlight of this guy's career unless he wins a ring.

Those 38 points on the scoreboard tell me that Darnold is better.  Not his fault that the Jets have a terrible defense.
NFL Team Total Defense Statistics - 2018

• 21 NY Jets
  • 29 Cleveland
I like Sam Darnold but Mayfield is better.  

Over the past six games:

Sam Darnold

• Att - 207
  • Comp - 116
  • Comp 56%
  • Yards - 1,352
  • TDs - 8
  • INTs - 8
  • W/L 1-5
Baker Mayfield

• Att - 179
  • Comp - 128
  • Comp 71%
  • Yards - 1,581
  • TDs - 14
  • INTs - 4
  • W/L 5-1

Arizona Republic columnist Bob McManaman is "hearing" Mike McCarthy "will be the next head coach of the Browns."

We are skeptical of this report coming from Arizona, but McManaman is hardly an unknown. At the very least, it needs to be passed along. It would have the possibility of being a truly disastrous hire. McCarthy and Baker Mayfield's personalities are as close to exact opposite as possible. We hope for football fans everywhere that the Browns make a more exciting decision.

The homer Dorsey worship has been premature if McCarthy is the answer.

I like Mayfield as a player but I can see him getting into trouble somehow with the league, whether that's actions during games or off of it.  He seems somewhat immature. 

Arizona Republic columnist Bob McManaman is "hearing" Mike McCarthy "will be the next head coach of the Browns."

We are skeptical of this report coming from Arizona, but McManaman is hardly an unknown. At the very least, it needs to be passed along. It would have the possibility of being a truly disastrous hire. McCarthy and Baker Mayfield's personalities are as close to exact opposite as possible. We hope for football fans everywhere that the Browns make a more exciting decision.

The homer Dorsey worship has been premature if McCarthy is the answer.
Dorsey and McCarthy have a relationship, and that can't be denied.  I'd be more concerned if Dorsey didn't bring in McCarthy during the interview process.  But to name McCarthy the next HC of the Browns is lazy journalism, IMO.  This guy has also backtracked his tweet and calling it a rumor instead of fact.  The only one who knows the direction of the Browns HC search is Dorsey, and he's not talking to anyone.  I'm sure many, many names will be connected to the Browns HC position over the coming weeks.  I also trust that Dorsey will hire the right coach for this team after doing his due diligence.  The idea of "falling in love" with one coach and doing a knee jerk hire is a thing of the past.  Dorsey knows what he's doing, and he's going to make sure it's done right.

Dorsey and McCarthy have a relationship, and that can't be denied.  I'd be more concerned if Dorsey didn't bring in McCarthy during the interview process.  But to name McCarthy the next HC of the Browns is lazy journalism, IMO.  This guy has also backtracked his tweet and calling it a rumor instead of fact.  The only one who knows the direction of the Browns HC search is Dorsey, and he's not talking to anyone.  I'm sure many, many names will be connected to the Browns HC position over the coming weeks.  I also trust that Dorsey will hire the right coach for this team after doing his due diligence.  The idea of "falling in love" with one coach and doing a knee jerk hire is a thing of the past.  Dorsey knows what he's doing, and he's going to make sure it's done right.
You are in fact correct that this was lazy journalism. Dude tweeted later that he was essentially just repeating stuff he heard on twitter. I also apologize for posting it but I pulled it from Rotoworld.

I like Mayfield as a player but I can see him getting into trouble somehow with the league, whether that's actions during games or off of it.  He seems somewhat immature. 
:rolleyes:

Yet if the stare down and actions were performed by any other type of offensive or defensive player, it would be justified and accepted.  I believe Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and many others made a reputation of doing just as, if not moreso, "immature" actions.  Time to give this take a rest.  You don't like it, fine.  Baker has an attitude and swagger that's been missing in CLE for decades.  You won't find a CLE fan who will not take Baker because he shows a little attitude and competitive spirit on the field.

You are in fact correct that this was lazy journalism. Dude tweeted later that he was essentially just repeating stuff he heard on twitter. I also apologize for posting it but I pulled it from Rotoworld.
No worries.  Not so much directing it at you.  Just trying to jump in front of the oncoming train that is bound to happen with the coaching search over the next few weeks.   :thumbup:

Yet if the stare down and actions were performed by any other type of offensive or defensive player, it would be justified and accepted.  I believe Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and many others made a reputation of doing just as, if not moreso, "immature" actions.  Time to give this take a rest.  You don't like it, fine.  Baker has an attitude and swagger that's been missing in CLE for decades.  You won't find a CLE fan who will not take Baker because he shows a little attitude and competitive spirit on the field.
I don't mind his spirit and competitive nature, actually I love it,  but it begs to wonder if something more serious will occur with his immaturity.   It may not be a red flag, but it's an orange one IMO.

When I figured the Browns were going to take Darnold, Baker’s swagger (and game) were the reason I wanted the Jets to take him. That swagger goes a long way to helping turn around a directionless franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread