What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benny Snell Jr - The Snail King ***Official Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Seems awfully fishy. Conner looked bummed on the sideline. I'm a little surprised he wouldn't play through a mild ankle sprain if that's what it was. 

I am shooting at 25% as well.  With Malcolm Brown at 20% if I don't get Snell.  My fall back is Kelley - but any of those 3 would be a RB4 so mainly depth.
I absolutely get that. My response was to the poster expecting Snell to win the PIT job no matter how injured Connor is.

And the PIT starter would be worth a lot more than 25%...

Unless Conner gets seriously hurt, Steelers aren't moving on from him. Tomlin tends to be like Pete Carroll with his RBs, lots of loyalty unless you get hurt/start fumbling/do stupid things to cost your team games.

Steelers lost both their right guard and tackle Sunday. I would temper expectations for either Snell or Conner. Or any other Steeler skill player. At least short term until we see how the replacements fare.

The Frankman said:
Unless Conner gets seriously hurt, Steelers aren't moving on from him. Tomlin tends to be like Pete Carroll with his RBs, lots of loyalty unless you get hurt/start fumbling/do stupid things to cost your team games.
I would like to hear from several Steeler fans opinion on that.

simsarge said:
Steelers lost both their right guard and tackle Sunday. I would temper expectations for either Snell or Conner. Or any other Steeler skill player. At least short term until we see how the replacements fare.
Well, since one of the "replacements" could be David DeCastro returning...

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette said Steelers RB Benny Snell could be "used more often" even after RB James Conner recovers from his ankle injury. 

"What Snell did Monday night, if nothing else, made a strong case for being No. 1A and used more often with a healthy Conner. These things also often evolve as the season progresses," Bouchette said. Snell ran 19 times for 113 yards against the Giants on Monday night after Conner exited with an ankle injury. Bouchette said Conner losing his job to Snell in the coming weeks -- healthy or not -- is not out of the question. "If Conner is ineffective when he returns and Snell is clearly better, they’ll make the switch," Bouchette said. Snell should be rostered in all 12-team leagues. The Steelers are 7.5-point home favorites against Denver this week, potentially setting up the offense for a run-heavy approach in positive game script. 

RELATED: 

James Conner

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 17, 2020, 8:23 AM ET

yeah thanks for the service time Conner but this is Snell's backfield now. You had the feeling this would happen one way or another, Conner could never stay healthy and here he is in week 1 with an ankle. at some point a franchise needs to move on to the next man up.

yeah thanks for the service time Conner but this is Snell's backfield now. You had the feeling this would happen one way or another, Conner could never stay healthy and here he is in week 1 with an ankle. at some point a franchise needs to move on to the next man up.
As an owner of both Snell and Connor I'd say that declaration is a tad premature.

Speaking of Connor, did he practice today?

Benny Snell rushed three times for five yards in the Steelers' Week 2 win over the Broncos.   

Snell took an abrupt backseat to James Conner on Sunday, relegated to giving Conner a breather a week after rushing 19 times for 113 yards. He's a worthy bench stash in 12-team leagues who won't have much fantasy value as long as Conner is healthy. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointing outcome if you were holding Snell, but don't cut bait.  At the rate we're losing players and given Conner's injury history--there's a real chance Snell gets some starts in the near future.

Worth picking up Snell as a FA right now?  I can't start him this week, but might Conner be out for next week 13 as well?  After that, I suppose it just matters how Conner is feeling, and if he's fully-recovered from COVID.

But...the Steelers have been in air raid mode all season.  Conner hasn't done anything amazing this year, so even if Snell gets to start for a couple weeks, he might not do much anyway.

Steelers seem to have no interest in establishing a running game and I wouldn't guess that Snell would be used in the passing game.  You would pretty much be hoping for goal line TDs with Snell.

Benny Snell rushed 16 times for 60 yards in the Steelers' Week 12 win over the Ravens.

Snell contributing 33 receiving yards by catching 3-of-4 targets is the cherry on top of the cake for Wednesday evening football weirdness, since Snell entered the day with 23 total receiving yards in his career. With James Conner testing positive for COVID-19, Snell might be the clear lead ball carrier for the next two weeks against Washington and the Bills.

Dec 2, 2020, 8:31 PM ET

what are people doing this week?  not a great option, but if I knew he were starting, I would still probably have to go with him based on the rest of my sorry-### RB corps at this point.  Anyone with thoughts on figuring out this risk/reward?  It seems like Conner could still come back tomorrow if he was asymptomatic and tests negative again.

what are people doing this week?  not a great option, but if I knew he were starting, I would still probably have to go with him based on the rest of my sorry-### RB corps at this point.  Anyone with thoughts on figuring out this risk/reward?  It seems like Conner could still come back tomorrow if he was asymptomatic and tests negative again.
Benny remains in the conversation with my team. I see Tremblay, Dodds, and Bloom see him as a RB 2. I also have Connors in the IR spot. Other choices include Booker, Gibson, Swift (mostly out), Gore, and Hollywood Brown (return to glory lol). Basically start 3 of these players. I mean if news comes out that Connors is off Covid then research how much each may play. Steeler RB's have been less than stellar lately. That tide can turn at any time. Big Ben has soooo many weapons that he feels he can score by throwing it. RB's can catch one here and there. Yes, I'm a Claypool owner too.

Benny remains in the conversation with my team. I see Tremblay, Dodds, and Bloom see him as a RB 2. I also have Connors in the IR spot. Other choices include Booker, Gibson, Swift (mostly out), Gore, and Hollywood Brown (return to glory lol). Basically start 3 of these players. I mean if news comes out that Connors is off Covid then research how much each may play. Steeler RB's have been less than stellar lately. That tide can turn at any time. Big Ben has soooo many weapons that he feels he can score by throwing it. RB's can catch one here and there. Yes, I'm a Claypool owner too.
If I had booker, I think that I would definitely play him, otherwise just wait til Monday and decide between snell, Conner and gibson.

If I had booker, I think that I would definitely play him, otherwise just wait til Monday and decide between snell, Conner and gibson.
And too Gore or not too Gore is my question since it's a 1:00 game. Crazy how the 37 year old has climbed in rankings this week. He's in the conversation. Lots of names you wouldn't think are paving the way. 

Booker is in as of right now.

Benny Snell rushed eight times for five yards in the Steelers' Week 13 loss to Washington.

Snell added two receptions for five yards on three targets. Pittsburgh held a 14-point lead at one point but still chose to keep the air in the football. Then Washington came back and the Steelers had no choice but to continue passing. Snell was given three goal-line carries on a single drive in the second quarter but was unable to punch a single one in. That was his biggest chance to salvage an otherwise dismal night. With James Conner eligible to return to practice this week, Snell can be cut by anyone holding him for stand-alone fantasy value. 

Dec 7, 2020, 8:24 PM ET

I guess the universe is telling me something as schefter just tweeted:

Steelers' RB James Conner is eligible to come off the Reserve/COVID list on Monday, but it still considered unlikely that he will play against the WFT, per sources. It's looking like another week of Benny Snell Jr.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1335603966420398081?s=21
really wish we hadn't gotten this news...

would have at least salvaged it if he could have scored on one of his 87 goalline tries.  I know the line wasn't doing him any favors, but gosh darn.

really wish we hadn't gotten this news...

would have at least salvaged it if he could have scored on one of his 87 goalline tries.  I know the line wasn't doing him any favors, but gosh darn.
Benny Snail is the worst. I'm convinced his existence on this earth is to troll fantasy players. He fails to score over the two weeks he is the starter, having an insane amount of opportunities when he is in our lineups for Connor, but will surely immediately go back to vulturing TDs from Connor next week. 

Benny Snell rushed 18 times for 84 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 15 loss to the Bengals.

He also caught 3-of-4 targets for 23 yards, totaling 107 yards and the score on 21 touches with James Conner (quad) out. Snell's stat line looks good, but he continues to look like one of the slowest backs in the league. Stuffed multiple times on third-and-short in this one, Snell put the offense in some bad spots. His fourth-quarter, one-yard touchdown run came after Diontae Johnson drew a DPI call at the goal line. If Conner is unable to go Week 16 against the Colts, Snell will be a volume-dependent RB2 in a tougher matchup.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:36 PM ET

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly said it's "hard to imagine" the Steelers going into the 2021 season with Benny Snell atop the team's running back depth chart. 

Kaboly said there remains an "outside shot" the Steelers -- who chose not to re-sign James Conner -- can add a running back in free agency, with options like Leonard Fournette and Duke Johnson still unsigned. However the Pittsburgh backfield evolves in the coming weeks, Kaboly said there's not much chance of Snell starting the season as the team's RB1, despite head coach Mike Tomlin's praise of Snell late in the 2020 season. Snell in two December starts totaled 150 rushing yards and a touchdown on 34 carries, adding six receptions. Pittsburgh has the 24th pick in this spring's NFL Draft. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 22, 2021, 8:45 AM ET

ESPN's Brooke Pryor reports RB Benny Snell is a cut candidate this summer. 

It was only last season in Week 1 that Snell looked like he might take over the Pittsburgh backfield, racking up 113 yards against the Giants after James Conner left the game with an injury. The Steelers have since let Conner walk, invested a first-round draft pick in Najee Harris, and signed Kalen Ballage, leaving Snell's roster spot uncertain. Snell -- like all Pittsburgh backs -- was ineffective in 2020, averaging 3.3 yards per carry. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was often effusive in his praise of Snell despite the RB's lack of production. Snell, 23, has almost no path to fantasy relevance in 2021 unless he lands in a less stable backfield. 

RELATED: 

Najee Harris

, Kalen Ballage

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jul 7, 2021, 9:32 AM ET

Yea, I see Warren got back to practice today and Najae might still be declared out 1 week only. But I just think maybe Snell gets relevant by playoffs.

Warren's is a soft tissue and he is a 3rd down back most likely. Najae has been hurt all year off and on and that week 12 showing kind of tipped that Benny Snell is the backup to own when Najae goes down.

Yea, I see Warren got back to practice today and Najae might still be declared out 1 week only. But I just think maybe Snell gets relevant by playoffs.

Warren's is a soft tissue and he is a 3rd down back most likely. Najae has been hurt all year off and on and that week 12 showing kind of tipped that Benny Snell is the backup to own when Najae goes down.
OC Canada coached McFarland in college, may want to give him some run here too, he's potentially a dynamic runner

Disagree

IF and that’s a big IF Harris doesn’t play Sunday, Warren will be the back to play

Snells week 12 was only because Warren was inactive

Users who are viewing this thread