What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (5 Viewers)

You are building the complete set, but of graded cards?
Yep.  I'm down to about 35 or so needed.  Some I need to upgrade as well, like my Olajuwon is a 7.  But you can pick up 9's fairly reasonably.  I also have a bunch of ungraded ones to submit as I comb through them.  I try to only submit if they are high end commons though, 9 and above.  You can't even get the grading fee back if they come back less than a 9.  Some commons, they have to have a shot at a 10 for me to take a swing at.  Other commons that often have condition issues I'd submit all day long if I could get 9's, like the Derek Harper card is one that jumps to mind.  Otherwise you can buy them on ebay if you're patient for around $10 each plus shipping, which is exactly what you'd pay to have them graded in a 50 card bulk submission.  Doing 100 cards would cost $8 each.  

The main issue too becomes if you get a 2nd common in a 9 grade, I really don't even care to list them on ebay to sell.  The hassle of listing and then shipping for what you net after fees just isn't enough.  I prefer to try and trade out 9's with other people building sets who might have an extra of someone I need.

Shula-holic said:
I had a high end 8 I sold years ago I regretted.  I have a registered 86 set I'm working on now but have yet to purchase a Jordan.  Mostly have 9's in my set.
BGS or PSA?

BGS or PSA?
PSA.  My old Jordan was before the 0.5 increments came in and I feel likely would have been 8.5.  Centering was 50/50 but just had a couple small chips in the blue edge along the right side on the bottom blue margin.  I have a hard time finding 9's I like as much.

So you bid on ebay for Broncos box breaks? Who are your favorite breakers?

I tried my hand at luck with the Bills, but whenever I'd get in with the Bills I'd get skunked or a relic.  Then the next case was the Josh Allen auto and I wasn't involved.
Sorry I missed this response.

The key is looking at the checklists on the products. There were a few sets this year, that I avoided like the plague for Denver because the hits were hard to come by.

I can't remember the one breaker's name off the top of my head, but a couple of the things I like about them are: 

--they wear gloves during the break I don't want to see your nasty fingernails close up and the acetate cards fingerprint so easy.

--multiple cameras angles shown. He has a camera view from above and one from straight on. Nothing more annoys me than when a pack is opened and it magically disappears out of the camera range for a bit. There are videos of breakers attempting to defraud people. They see a great card in the pack and then drop it off to the side and move the card off.

--ships all cards from the team you bought. Important!! Some only ship hits. I paid you for cards and pre-paid you for shipping--I want all the team's cards.

What has kept me interested is the chase--I have stuff I want that just doesn't mean as much to others, but it is just something I want.

A card I do not have, but I can't find for a decent price is a 1991-92 Fleer Dominique Wilkins Insert set Autographed card. They are around $100 on Ebay and I just don't want to pay that much. 

I love David Thompson autos/jersey stuff.

I have hundreds of Starting Lineups figures in package including some pretty rare ones that are in amazing shape. None of them are loose.. However, I have never managed to get any of 1989 Slam Dunk figures in box. Again they are there, but just overpriced right now.

2009-10 Upper Deck Basketball is my set I continue to put together--base set obviously made  25 times over, but the number of inserts in this one is daunting. It is Upper Deck's last authorized B-ball product and just a fun set to collect. 

So you bid on ebay for Broncos box breaks? Who are your favorite breakers?

I tried my hand at luck with the Bills, but whenever I'd get in with the Bills I'd get skunked or a relic.  Then the next case was the Josh Allen auto and I wasn't involved.
Breaks can be really fun.  It is a gamble so sometimes you'll hit big and sometimes you'll get skunked.  I've personally broken with several different companies.  My favorite breaks are with a small company called Panda Sports Cards.  Their breaks are on youtube but they have a community facebook page to.  It's a small group--but the prices are great, the breaks are fun--and they have a great community feel. The owner Benny is a really cool dude and he constantly does giveaways and break credits.  

If you want to break with a big group--like a group that has dozens of breaks like 5 days a week--I enjoy Layton Sports cards.  The owner Rich has been doing breaks for years and he is a true expert on the hobby.  They also have a community facebook group where you can buy/sell/trade cards with other members.  It's  a large group so it has a different feel than a smaller group--but the crew there is fun and professional.  

What has kept me interested is the chase--I have stuff I want that just doesn't mean as much to others, but it is just something I want.

A card I do not have, but I can't find for a decent price is a 1991-92 Fleer Dominique Wilkins Insert set Autographed card. They are around $100 on Ebay and I just don't want to pay that much. 

I love David Thompson autos/jersey stuff.

I have hundreds of Starting Lineups figures in package including some pretty rare ones that are in amazing shape. None of them are loose.. However, I have never managed to get any of 1989 Slam Dunk figures in box. Again they are there, but just overpriced right now.

2009-10 Upper Deck Basketball is my set I continue to put together--base set obviously made  25 times over, but the number of inserts in this one is daunting. It is Upper Deck's last authorized B-ball product and just a fun set to collect. 
I sold off all my Starting Lineups quite a few years back.  Then about two years ago I found a lot of 1989 baseball including the super rare Devon White online from an auction house.  It wasn't a great picture but I spotted the Devon White in like a 100+ piece auction.  I won that auction and sold them off to other collectors in team sets.  I took the profit and bought back some of the old lineups I truly liked.  88 and 89 49ers, 88 Pistons.  I'm still missing some like the 88 Lott, 89 Lott, but also got a couple I never had earlier like 89 Young and Haley.  Back when I was into it the Young was $300 if you could even ever find one.  SLU's are so cheap now relative to that time I figure why not.

I sold off all my Starting Lineups quite a few years back.  Then about two years ago I found a lot of 1989 baseball including the super rare Devon White online from an auction house.  It wasn't a great picture but I spotted the Devon White in like a 100+ piece auction.  I won that auction and sold them off to other collectors in team sets.  I took the profit and bought back some of the old lineups I truly liked.  88 and 89 49ers, 88 Pistons.  I'm still missing some like the 88 Lott, 89 Lott, but also got a couple I never had earlier like 89 Young and Haley.  Back when I was into it the Young was $300 if you could even ever find one.  SLU's are so cheap now relative to that time I figure why not.
What is the specific Devon White 1989 baseball card that is rare?  I checked google and ebay and came up with nothing.  I'm intrigued in what this rarity is so please enlighten me.  Cheers.

What is the specific Devon White 1989 baseball card that is rare?  I checked google and ebay and came up with nothing.  I'm intrigued in what this rarity is so please enlighten me.  Cheers.
The 1989 Starting Lineup Devon White is perhaps the rarest Starting Lineup figure made.  It also tends to always come with a yellowed bubble.  The Bill Fralic football is also up there in toughness.  But even a not so nice Devon White if still sealed can bring $300-$400 even in today's depressed SLU market where most you can't even give away for the shipping.

The 1989 Starting Lineup Devon White is perhaps the rarest Starting Lineup figure made.  It also tends to always come with a yellowed bubble.  The Bill Fralic football is also up there in toughness.  But even a not so nice Devon White if still sealed can bring $300-$400 even in today's depressed SLU market where most you can't even give away for the shipping.
Thanks for the reply. I thought this was a baseball card rather than a Starting Lineup figurine.  My reading comprehension must have been really down last night!

I don’t even want to think about the tens of thousands of dollars  I have sunk into cards.  I have told my wife and kids, when I die, to take the first $20k they get offered and don’t even think about it. 

Courtjester said:
I don’t even want to think about the tens of thousands of dollars  I have sunk into cards.  I have told my wife and kids, when I die, to take the first $20k they get offered and don’t even think about it. 
You think your corpse will get that much?

Breaks can be really fun.  It is a gamble so sometimes you'll hit big and sometimes you'll get skunked.  I've personally broken with several different companies.  My favorite breaks are with a small company called Panda Sports Cards.  Their breaks are on youtube but they have a community facebook page to.  It's a small group--but the prices are great, the breaks are fun--and they have a great community feel. The owner Benny is a really cool dude and he constantly does giveaways and break credits.  

If you want to break with a big group--like a group that has dozens of breaks like 5 days a week--I enjoy Layton Sports cards.  The owner Rich has been doing breaks for years and he is a true expert on the hobby.  They also have a community facebook group where you can buy/sell/trade cards with other members.  It's  a large group so it has a different feel than a smaller group--but the crew there is fun and professional.  
I joined the FB group, and am interested in getting in on one sometime. What exactly is the process on these things? They post a case they have, and see how many different teams they get people committed to, then if they get enough to cover his costs, it's a go?

I joined the FB group, and am interested in getting in on one sometime. What exactly is the process on these things? They post a case they have, and see how many different teams they get people committed to, then if they get enough to cover his costs, it's a go?

Right on.  So there are effectively a few types of breaks.  The most popular one is PYT--which is short for "pick your team". On breaks like that--they generally list the product, list the team names with prices--and you generally can comment on the facebook page about what team you want and paypal the according cost associated with that team.   Once all teams are claimed and paid--the break occurs and you can watch it live on youtube.   On Panda--once you join the facebook group--you'll also want to create an account on the website because Benny will give you break credits if you skunk and he does random drawings and such. Also--when you create the account--it also gives him the required shipping information on where to ship your cards..etc.    

The next time of break is called RT (which is short for Random teams).   This is where the owner of the breaking company checks the "checklist" of the product will be broken open and sees how many teams are reflected in it.   Let's say its 30 teams--so he will make 30 spots available to purchase.  Once every spot is sold--he'll put all of the names of the people who purchased a spot in an online randomizer and that will shuffle the names around in a random order. He'll then put all of the team names in a randomizer and that will put them in an order.  He'll then line up both the lists--and the team that is next to your name is "your team".   He will then normally give a few minutes before he actually breaks the product open in case any members want to make any trades of teams..etc.   One thing about Panda that I like is that they will sometimes do a hybrid random team break-where once all of the spots are claimed--he'll random off the names--and instead of randomizing the teams---he'll actually let the members "draft" the team that they want in the order that the randomizer resulted in.   It's a cool concept because you have some collectors that will automatically pick the teams where there is the most potential for the highest value cards--but then you get the collectors that are die hard collectors of certain teams.  

There are other breaks where they use terms like RD--that means random divisions.  These breaks are generally more expensive because there are fewer spots--and each spot generally includes all of hte teams in an entire division AFC north, AFC south, AFC west, AfC east, NFC north, NFC south, NFC east, NFC west for example.  

The biggest difference between a company like Layton and Panda is that Layton has set times and schedules for breaks--and they generally are pretty damn accurate.  They have such a big pool of customers that most of their breaks sell out before the scheduled time.   With a smaller breaker like Panda--you can follow along on the facebook group as the break fills up.  You'll also see similar names/faces--so you'll notice a lot of the same people in the breaks. It makes youtube chats and the facebook group page feel more family like.  Both are great experiences.  

Right on.  So there are effectively a few types of breaks.  The most popular one is PYT--which is short for "pick your team". On breaks like that--they generally list the product, list the team names with prices--and you generally can comment on the facebook page about what team you want and paypal the according cost associated with that team.   Once all teams are claimed and paid--the break occurs and you can watch it live on youtube.   On Panda--once you join the facebook group--you'll also want to create an account on the website because Benny will give you break credits if you skunk and he does random drawings and such. Also--when you create the account--it also gives him the required shipping information on where to ship your cards..etc.    

The next time of break is called RT (which is short for Random teams).   This is where the owner of the breaking company checks the "checklist" of the product will be broken open and sees how many teams are reflected in it.   Let's say its 30 teams--so he will make 30 spots available to purchase.  Once every spot is sold--he'll put all of the names of the people who purchased a spot in an online randomizer and that will shuffle the names around in a random order. He'll then put all of the team names in a randomizer and that will put them in an order.  He'll then line up both the lists--and the team that is next to your name is "your team".   He will then normally give a few minutes before he actually breaks the product open in case any members want to make any trades of teams..etc.   One thing about Panda that I like is that they will sometimes do a hybrid random team break-where once all of the spots are claimed--he'll random off the names--and instead of randomizing the teams---he'll actually let the members "draft" the team that they want in the order that the randomizer resulted in.   It's a cool concept because you have some collectors that will automatically pick the teams where there is the most potential for the highest value cards--but then you get the collectors that are die hard collectors of certain teams.  

There are other breaks where they use terms like RD--that means random divisions.  These breaks are generally more expensive because there are fewer spots--and each spot generally includes all of hte teams in an entire division AFC north, AFC south, AFC west, AfC east, NFC north, NFC south, NFC east, NFC west for example.  

The biggest difference between a company like Layton and Panda is that Layton has set times and schedules for breaks--and they generally are pretty damn accurate.  They have such a big pool of customers that most of their breaks sell out before the scheduled time.   With a smaller breaker like Panda--you can follow along on the facebook group as the break fills up.  You'll also see similar names/faces--so you'll notice a lot of the same people in the breaks. It makes youtube chats and the facebook group page feel more family like.  Both are great experiences.  
Awesome. Thanks for the info, GB. 

With the shut-in and a lack of baseball, I'm considering delving back into the hobby.  2020 Topps Heritage has the 1971 black borders, one of my favorite all time designs.  Thinking of collecting that set, but have no idea who I would trade doubles with.  

Based on costs these days, I'm sure it's cheaper to just buy the complete set.  But this would be fun to do with the kids.

With the shut-in and a lack of baseball, I'm considering delving back into the hobby.  2020 Topps Heritage has the 1971 black borders, one of my favorite all time designs.  Thinking of collecting that set, but have no idea who I would trade doubles with.  

Based on costs these days, I'm sure it's cheaper to just buy the complete set.  But this would be fun to do with the kids.
Buy common singles/bundles on ebay?

Buying a set is boring as far as collecting is concerned

:lol: Same here.  From about senior year of HS through freshman year of college (oh hey, that coincides with my first credit card...  :oldunsure: ) I spent so much.  I still have a good collection in some box in my garage.  I will give it to my boy when he's ready for college and whatever he can get for 'em, great.

I have dozens of Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr cards still boxed in my closet; not worth enough to do anything with but worth too much to toss. I feel old every time I see Frank in that supplement commercial....

Bumping this as I need some help.

I have collected for many years and have some quite old pre-war stuff. Some even from the 1880s. During these lock down months, I have spent more time digging thru the old boxes than I have in years. This re-discovery exercise has also revealed a few boxes of stuff from the 1970s thru the 2000s. All 4 major sports. There is nothing earth shattering in there but it is not junk either. Lots of stars and cool cards. I guess around 1000 cards or so.

Here is where I need some help from you folks ... I want to give these cards away to some young collector who is less fortunate and doesn't have a lot. Maybe some kid who is having an extra difficult time with this Corona stuff. Or someone who just doesn't have the funds to buy a pack of cards every now and then. Trying to find someone interested in this stuff over here in The Netherlands is a no go. It is all about soccer and Pokemon and I don't have any of that stuff. And my kids think I am a bit defective for collecting small pieces of old cardboard !!

If you think you can help me with this, please shoot me a PM.  TIA

With the prices Jordan rookie cards are going for since the Last Dance, I dug out the one I have and stared at it for a bit the other day.  Unfortunately I've never had any of my cards graded, mostly basketball cards from that 1980 Topps set with the Magic/Bird rookie through 1990, and a few football and baseball rookies in there as well.  I'm sure most are worthless, other than a few of those basketball rookie cards.  But without having those cards graded, not sure how I'd even go about selling them for anywhere near possible value even if I wanted to.

do people still trade greeting cards or what cause i have a totally sweet mothers day card that i am looking to flip for a good happy birthday one take that to the bank bromigos 

With the prices Jordan rookie cards are going for since the Last Dance, I dug out the one I have and stared at it for a bit the other day.  Unfortunately I've never had any of my cards graded, mostly basketball cards from that 1980 Topps set with the Magic/Bird rookie through 1990, and a few football and baseball rookies in there as well.  I'm sure most are worthless, other than a few of those basketball rookie cards.  But without having those cards graded, not sure how I'd even go about selling them for anywhere near possible value even if I wanted to.
The sportscard market is on fire right now.  Even the mass produced stuff from the 90's has gained some traction.   I got back into the hobby a few years ago after abandoning it for like 20+ years.  I thought the lockdown and economic downturn would kill the hobby again--but it's done the opposite.  With no sports--lots of people have gotten into watching people break expensive boxes of cards live (which is what sucked me back into the hobby).  With that said--the trend has been towards cards that  have been graded--with the highest grades commanding a giant premium. With that said--even raw ungraded cards have gone up in value--but they are far more risky to sell.   If you sell a raw card on a platform like ebay--many times--the buyer will buy your card knowing that they have the same card but in worse condition--claim that the card you sent was damaged--ebay will almost certainly side with them--and they will send you back the card that they had that was in worse condition.  Thats why I generally recommend that if people have a bunch of ungraded cards--they are either better off trying to sell them as a lot--or they should make a heavy investment and get their nicest ones properly graded through BGS or PSA. 

I have collected for many years and have some quite old pre-war stuff. Some even from the 1880s. During these lock down months, I have spent more time digging thru the old boxes than I have in years. This re-discovery exercise has also revealed a few boxes of stuff from the 1970s thru the 2000s. All 4 major sports. There is nothing earth shattering in there but it is not junk either. Lots of stars and cool cards. I guess around 1000 cards or so.

Here is where I need some help from you folks ... I want to give these cards away to some young collector who is less fortunate and doesn't have a lot. Maybe some kid who is having an extra difficult time with this Corona stuff. Or someone who just doesn't have the funds to buy a pack of cards every now and then. Trying to find someone interested in this stuff over here in The Netherlands is a no go. It is all about soccer and Pokemon and I don't have any of that stuff. And my kids think I am a bit defective for collecting small pieces of old cardboard !!

If you need help determining value--as a collector--I'd be happy to tell you if you have any gems in your collection. The market for sports cards is pretty insane right now.  Like even old steve Kerr cards that were worth pennies a couple years ago can command up to 80 bucks now.   There's even a hoops card of mark jackson frim the 90's that was worth maybe a buck a few years back that is going for upwards of $25-50 based on condition solely because the menendez brothers are in the background of his picture on the card.  Even the mass produced Jordan stuff from the 90's has gone up in value a ton since the last dance aired.  Feel free to pm me if you want me to look over some pictures and kinda tell you what you have. 

The sportscard market is on fire right now.  Even the mass produced stuff from the 90's has gained some traction.   I got back into the hobby a few years ago after abandoning it for like 20+ years.  I thought the lockdown and economic downturn would kill the hobby again--but it's done the opposite.  With no sports--lots of people have gotten into watching people break expensive boxes of cards live (which is what sucked me back into the hobby).  With that said--the trend has been towards cards that  have been graded--with the highest grades commanding a giant premium. With that said--even raw ungraded cards have gone up in value--but they are far more risky to sell.   If you sell a raw card on a platform like ebay--many times--the buyer will buy your card knowing that they have the same card but in worse condition--claim that the card you sent was damaged--ebay will almost certainly side with them--and they will send you back the card that they had that was in worse condition.  Thats why I generally recommend that if people have a bunch of ungraded cards--they are either better off trying to sell them as a lot--or they should make a heavy investment and get their nicest ones properly graded through BGS or PSA. 
Which is the best option with grading that will be around for the long haul and how do you send them without worry about damage in transit or other issues?

I don’t have any Jordan rookies but a ton of cards a notch down like Montana, Marino, Shaq, and good ol Barry Bonds...anyone want to buy a Bonds RC?😂

Man this thread takes me back. I was a heavy collector of mostly baseball cards from the late 70s to the late 80s. Would hit up antique malls, card shows, flea markets, or just ride my bike to the store and buy as many packs as I could. 

Once I get my house back in order I am going to get all of my stuff out and see exactly what I have. There are thousands of cards stored away in my spare bedroom closet. Some in notebooks and some in shoe boxes. I have some mid to late 80s full sets of Topps. I have 2 sets from, if memory serves, Clemens, Mcgwire, and maybe Randy Johnson's rookie year. I also have a full box of 1981 Fleer unopened packs. I wonder if they have any value. If not I may sit down and open them. I think I may have a Rickey Henderson rookie and a Fernando Valenzuela rookie and in football a Joe Montana rookie. 

The three players I collected the most were Rose, Carew, and Yazstremski. I have a lot of cards of those three. 

I may start looking at them today. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Good on you. Thanks for doing that.

Might be tricky.

Do I have it right..you are in the Netherlands and would wanna ship your cards to the US to some young collector?

Even kids here i don't think are really into sports cards. The market seems driven by the older population but I could be wrong. I don't see kids dropping $3-$40 a pack of 6 cards.

Which is the best option with grading that will be around for the long haul and how do you send them without worry about damage in transit or other issues?

I don’t have any Jordan rookies but a ton of cards a notch down like Montana, Marino, Shaq, and good ol Barry Bonds...anyone want to buy a Bonds RC?😂
For cards from the era that you have—I’d personally go with PSA.  Vintage collectors seem to prefer them and modern collectors seems to prefer BGS.   If you have a few cards—they do offfer “volume” submission pricing.  If you are on facebook—some of the big boys like Layton Sports Cards use a dude named Josh Cohen-Sports. (That is his handle on facebook) to send their submissions in. Reputable people like him have direct accounts with PSA and being that they accumulate and submit lots of cards together from various collectors and sports cards groups—and will send them in together to get bulk pricing.   Also—the grading companies also have rules in how they want your cards to be sent in (some want them to be in penny sleeves and top loaded)—and using a service is nice because they will break down exactly how they need you to send them the cards.  

I didn't know that breaks were a thing until I stumbled across a few after seeing some posts on Facebook from a small card shop in the town I went to school in. While he doesn't do a lot of breaks of packs or boxes, he has TONS of cards and memorabilia that he will package up and have a random draw of 10-12 people. Some will get great value, other's not so much but overall I have felt pretty good with the ones that I have been involved with. They go from $10 up to $150 per spot. He did a sports memorabilia one last night where the top hit was a $1200 signed Aaron Judge, real player jersey. Too rich for my blood but it was fun to watch. My buddy really wanted the Judge jersey so he bought a spot (1 for 12 chance). The jersey ended up going to the #12 spot but he ended up with a pretty neat looking Ozzie Smith framed, signed picture of him doing a backflip. 

My best hit so far has been a 2014 Signed Aaron Judge rookie card that I got out of a $25 lot. Not bad. 

Since the 2020 Select release was yesterday he has quite a few boxes of those (@ $190/box) that he broke last night. Most were buying complete boxes and opening those but he had ended up selling one box buy the pack ($18). I bit on one of those and ended up with a nice Michael Chavis XFractor Auto /25. That was cool.

It has been a lot of fun over the past few weeks watching some of these draws and breaks he is doing and occasionally throwing a little cash his way to see if I can make a hit on something. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you. Thanks for doing that.

Might be tricky.

Do I have it right..you are in the Netherlands and would wanna ship your cards to the US to some young collector?

Even kids here i don't think are really into sports cards. The market seems driven by the older population but I could be wrong. I don't see kids dropping $3-$40 a pack of 6 cards.
Correct ... I would like to send a box of cards from The Netherlands to the US. I'll deal with any shipping charges. Main idea here is to get these into the hands of a) someone who will enjoy them and b) ideally someone who under regular circumstances would not be able to add this volume of cards to their collection.

As you can see in my earlier posts in this thread, I love collecting and busting packs.That being said, I wish there was a magical sort fairy out there to get my cards in order---that is the part of the hobby I struggle with.

I had to move around about 75% of my boxes (that took over an hour) so I could put in another shelving unit because things were out of hand. I had a new laptop delivered yesterday and I am going to use it only for inventory on my collection.

I am dying to open some new football product. I am not a big fan of the college stuff (Hit, Sage, etc) that comes out post-draft, but I have bought a few boxes just to get Broncos rookies, Prizm is absolutely on fire, but there is no way I am paying that much for that product. I am amazed Score or some other product isn't out yet. I am guessing  it has to do with the unavailabilty of images of Rookies/FA in their current NFL team's uniforms. 

To fill the void, I have been buying Upper Deck Hockey, which in its own right, is quiet pricey, especially being an Av's fan. The Makar RC and inserts drive all hockey products through the roof this year.

Now I have the urge to go to a card store.....

If you need help determining value--as a collector--I'd be happy to tell you if you have any gems in your collection. The market for sports cards is pretty insane right now.  Like even old steve Kerr cards that were worth pennies a couple years ago can command up to 80 bucks now.   There's even a hoops card of mark jackson frim the 90's that was worth maybe a buck a few years back that is going for upwards of $25-50 based on condition solely because the menendez brothers are in the background of his picture on the card.  Even the mass produced Jordan stuff from the 90's has gone up in value a ton since the last dance aired.  Feel free to pm me if you want me to look over some pictures and kinda tell you what you have. 
Are those Mark Jackson-Menendez brothers cards still going fir that much? I literally have thousands of 1989 Hoops cards in a box in the garage, including several unopened packs (back when you could figure out the pattern to get the David Robinson RCs).

Correct ... I would like to send a box of cards from The Netherlands to the US. I'll deal with any shipping charges. Main idea here is to get these into the hands of a) someone who will enjoy them and b) ideally someone who under regular circumstances would not be able to add this volume of cards to their collection.
Yea.

I'm no help. 

Maybe sell/trade cards for Pokémon stuff that you can give to a kid there?

Grew up buying packs of Topps baseball cards.  I still remember they were 15 cents a pack, back in the mid 70's.  My favorite team was/is the Reds, and I had the cards thumb-tacked to my wall, in diamond shape.  Seems comical now, but I destroyed the value of thousands of dollars worth over the years.  I still have tons in good shape, and Pete Rose cards are my pride and joy.  My oldest ones are PSA graded, and I'm only missing the rookie card, but bought a counterfeit about 20 years ago.  Last time I saw my cards was when I moved.  Sadly, my son has no interest, so I should just sell them.

I collected baseball cards throughout the 80s. Spent so damn much money on them, too. I threw away many thousands of cards a few years ago to get from 25-30 boses and sets to maybe a dozen. 
I also collected coins. Much more interesting (to me) and hold their value.

dickey moe said:
Are those Mark Jackson-Menendez brothers cards still going fir that much? I literally have thousands of 1989 Hoops cards in a box in the garage, including several unopened packs (back when you could figure out the pattern to get the David Robinson RCs).
Yeah—-if you have graded ones—they can go from twenty five to fifty bucks if they are a 9 or a ten.  Raw ungraded ones that look to be in decent condition are still pulling 5-7 bucks each. Considering these cards were literally worth maybe a quarter each just a few years back—that’s not too bad. 

Courtjester said:
As you can see in my earlier posts in this thread, I love collecting and busting packs.That being said, I wish there was a magical sort fairy out there to get my cards in order---that is the part of the hobby I struggle with.

I had to move around about 75% of my boxes (that took over an hour) so I could put in another shelving unit because things were out of hand. I had a new laptop delivered yesterday and I am going to use it only for inventory on my collection.

I am dying to open some new football product. I am not a big fan of the college stuff (Hit, Sage, etc) that comes out post-draft, but I have bought a few boxes just to get Broncos rookies, Prizm is absolutely on fire, but there is no way I am paying that much for that product. I am amazed Score or some other product isn't out yet. I am guessing  it has to do with the unavailabilty of images of Rookies/FA in their current NFL team's uniforms. 

To fill the void, I have been buying Upper Deck Hockey, which in its own right, is quiet pricey, especially being an Av's fan. The Makar RC and inserts drive all hockey products through the roof this year.

Now I have the urge to go to a card store.....
It’s all about licensing and exclusivity.  Topps/Bowman has the rights to MLB and they also have a deal with the players association—so their products are the only baseball products that can actually have both the players name—but also the team name and logo on baseball cards.   That’s why in regards to value retention—if you want baseball—you should stick to Topps/Bowman products. 

Panini has the rights to  NFL and basketball in regards to both players association and the leagues—so their products are the only products that can feature both the NFL/NBA players names and team names and logos on their products.   Panini does also make baseball cards—but their contract is only with the players union—so they can have the players names and autographs on a card—but they cannot have the team name or logo on them.   Therefore—if you see an Aaron Judge card out of a Panini product—it will just say “New York” and will not have the Yankees name or logo on it.   One bummer is that Upper Deck owns the autograph rights to both Michael Jordan and Lebron James—so you won’t get Lebron or Jordan autos out of Panini products.

Upper deck has the rights to Hockey—-so as of now—thats their focus.  Leaf is an interesting company—as they make a lot of collegiate cards, memorabilia packs for both sports and entertainment, and they also do whats called “buy back” products.  This is where they buy nicer cards from different sports—some graded and some not—and actually re-package them in boxes/packs.  

Users who are viewing this thread