What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just Now Watching "The Shape of Water" (1 Viewer)

I knew absolutely nothing about the movie and was completely bored through the entire thing.  I kept watching waiting for something to happen and it never did. 

I'm not a huge movie geek--it's probably been 3 years since I've been to a movie theater.  I will sometimes watch movies in hotel rooms when I travel--and I did see the Shape of Water this way.   I actually watched it with my mother who is far more into movies than I am--and the both of us felt like it was a grossly over-rated movie.   I get that the set and costume design were great--but the story itself was effectively Beauty and the Beast.   Reading how people are raving about Dunkirk in here makes me wish that we watched that instead. 

I'm not a huge movie geek--it's probably been 3 years since I've been to a movie theater.  I will sometimes watch movies in hotel rooms when I travel--and I did see the Shape of Water this way.   I actually watched it with my mother who is far more into movies than I am--and the both of us felt like it was a grossly over-rated movie.   I get that the set and costume design were great--but the story itself was effectively Beauty and the Beast.   Reading how people are raving about Dunkirk in here makes me wish that we watched that instead. 
Wait, you and your Mom shared a hotel room?

I think that Dunkirk was the best film of the last 5 years, maybe more.
I would agree, it was a masterpiece. That and Social Network are the first 2 that jump to my mind as the best movies of the decade. 

Dunkirk is great but I do think it would lose something being seen out of the theater. 

I would agree, it was a masterpiece. That and Social Network are the first 2 that jump to my mind as the best movies of the decade. 

Dunkirk is great but I do think it would lose something being seen out of the theater. 
Dunkirk was the only movie I saw in a theater last year and even that couldn't save it.  Unless you like meaningless action and explosions, I'd look elsewhere.  Absolute trash.  

Michael Shannon playing his usual jerkguy character - which I like, he's great at it.  

But the rest of this movie is pure awfulness.  Best Picture Oscar Winner??  

I disagree. Completely. 

It may be a movie you need to see in the theater, but its just beautiful. And the story is great - old school Hollywood like. And the ambiguous ending is perfect.

It was well deserving of Best Picture and the best movie I saw in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, you and your Mom shared a hotel room?
It was a 2 bedroom deluxe suite at the Wyndham grand in Vegas.   That's my main "go to" spot out in vegas because of how the rooms are layed out.  The room has a living room with a full kitchen and a big flatscreen tv in the center and has individual bedrooms on each side of the central living space.  Unfortunately due to my mothers health--many times I have to take her traveling  with me as she can't be left alone (she's too stubborn to let me get somebody to look over her).  

Dunkirk was the only movie I saw in a theater last year and even that couldn't save it.  Unless you like meaningless action and explosions, I'd look elsewhere.  Absolute trash.  
I get that all movies are subjective but I’m not sure how the Battle of Dunkirk was meaningless. Obviously it was visually incredible and the sound was top notch but I enjoyed the performances- particularly Mark Rylance and I felt emotional connection to the characters. I also liked how the unique time structure wove the events together. I’m not usually the type to love action movies. I am staunchly anti super hero movies but a very realistic depiction of an important battle told simultaneously through air, land and sea was right up my alley. The last movie that held that much intensity that long was Black Hawk Down. But again, everyone has their likes and dislikes so it’s cool because there’s movies for all tastes. 

I get that all movies are subjective but I’m not sure how the Battle of Dunkirk was meaningless. Obviously it was visually incredible and the sound was top notch but I enjoyed the performances- particularly Mark Rylance and I felt emotional connection to the characters. I also liked how the unique time structure wove the events together. I’m not usually the type to love action movies. I am staunchly anti super hero movies but a very realistic depiction of an important battle told simultaneously through air, land and sea was right up my alley. The last movie that held that much intensity that long was Black Hawk Down. But again, everyone has their likes and dislikes so it’s cool because there’s movies for all tastes. 
Interesting.  I felt no emotional attachment to any character.  I wanted more history and character development ala Saving Private Ryan.  I normally love Nolan but this felt like Michael Bay.  

I disagree. Completely. 

It may be a movie you need to see in the theater, but its just beautiful. And the story is great - old school Hollywood like. And the ambiguous ending is perfect.

It was well deserving of Best Picture and the best movie I saw in 2017.
well, I'm convinced.  

Interesting.  I felt no emotional attachment to any character.  I wanted more history and character development ala Saving Private Ryan.  I normally love Nolan but this felt like Michael Bay.  
It’s a very fair complaint and you’re not the only person who felt that way. I feel like sometimes you can learn more about a character when they are put through a stressful situation than you can ever learn about them through backstory or casual conversation. Some of the characters did develop over the story. We saw who could handle stress, who was willing to make sacrifices for others and who weren’t. I thought the scene at the end with the blind old guy was a total gut punch- just devastating to have survived  through that and then feel that kind of shame returning home.I lve also been a huge fan of Nolan since Memento so I certainly brought the  assumption into it that I would love it.

I don’t think the goal of the movie was history (beyond the event itself) or character development (in the sense of getting to know the characters and their backgrounds).  It was meant to make you feel like you were there, to transport you to that time and place and let you experience those events as the characters did, feeling the growing dread of impending doom while racing against the clock to save/be saved.  In that regard, the film was a masterpiece. But I get that the goal was an exceedingly narrow one that admittedly doesn’t have broad appeal. I can understand why lots of discriminating moviegoers would not enjoy the film.

That said, comparing Dunkirk to a Michael Bay film is absolute crazy talk.

Kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri, kiri! 
She and I watched this last night. I came to the conclusion that the entire film is a metaphor for marriage

Although kiri kiri is translated as deeper, deeper in the English subtitles and elsewhere as cut cut, it is actually the Japanese onomatopoeia for describing sharp pain, which poor Aoyama is in a lot of at that point. A re-dub of the German release translates it to killekille, which is not only as phonetically close as possible to the Japanese original, literally translates as tickle tickle, and as such is probably the most appropriate translation given Asami's playful demeanor during scene.

Users who are viewing this thread