What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (2 Viewers)

Wins don’t get any uglier than that, and the number of Steelers fans was disconcerting (is there any way in which that stadium has not been a total disaster?).
Steelers fans have *always* traveled. I remember seeing candlestick half full of Steelers fans in the 90s. 

Cant blame that on the stadium. Maybe blame Pittsburgh for people wanting any excuse to leave.  :shrug:

Steelers fans have *always* traveled. I remember seeing candlestick half full of Steelers fans in the 90s. 

Cant blame that on the stadium. Maybe blame Pittsburgh for people wanting any excuse to leave.  :shrug:
I suspect a number of things about the stadium contribute to a lower turnout from die hard locals and leave more tickets available for away fans. 

I suspect a number of things about the stadium contribute to a lower turnout from die hard locals and leave more tickets available for away fans. 
Historically the main thing has been “losing”. 

The oppressive sun beating down on people isn’t awesome either. 

And you can’t tailgate & beer is $16 a pint. 

But that’s almost any modern stadium. 

And the fact it’s in San Jose.  I don’t particularly care to litigate the specifics here the morning after a win, but there are a lot of critiques available on the inter webs if you want to take a deep dive. 

And the fact it’s in San Jose.  I don’t particularly care to litigate the specifics here the morning after a win, but there are a lot of critiques available on the inter webs if you want to take a deep dive. 
No need. I live here. I’ve heard all the critiques for years.

I've also been to the stadium, and I believe the critiques are vastly overblown. It’s a pretty awesome stadium. 

A lot of fans are butt hurt over the move to SJ. They’re somehow nostalgic for Hunter’s Point. They loved the pothole filled dirt lot. Hey, some of my earliest best memories were throwing a football around that lot while dad BBQ’d. I drank my first beer in that lot. 

But it took an hour to get out of it after a game, another hour to get 10 miles down 101 until it opened up, and in the rain it was a muddy puddle-ridden mess. 

I would have loved for the Yorks to build in San Francisco, ala the Giants. I would have loved to have seen a state of the art football stadium in the city limits. But that didn’t happen.

so taking that out of the equation and only looking at Levi’s, it’s a really nice stadium. They did a heck of a lot right with it. 

Also pro-tip: happy hour at the bar/restaurant outside the stadium has amazing deals. Check it out. (Not on a game day) 

Last edited by a moderator:

What's this about not being able.to tailgate??? 

What's this about not being able.to tailgate??? 
Sorry, was being too general. 

There are specific designated areas where you can tailgate at Levi’s. 

But compared to Candlestick, where the entire lot was BBQ/party friendly it’s a whole different world. 

There is technically tailgating allowed - but it’s not like it was by a country mile. 

Well, yesterday was quite stressful. I can't believe they won after turning the ball over 5 times, with 3 fumbles around Pitts 10yrd line. 

One thing I am still confused about is the pass interference call on Jason Verrett. I thought the rule stated if the defender and the receivers feet get tangled, its not considered pass interference? Was it pass interference because Verrett tripped and fell into the Washington?  You can see the replay Here at 7:54 mark. 

One thing I am still confused about is the pass interference call on Jason Verrett. I thought the rule stated if the defender and the receivers feet get tangled, its not considered pass interference? Was it pass interference because Verrett tripped and fell into the Washington?  You can see the replay Here at 7:54 mark. 
Terrible call. It looked like Verrett got his head around looking for the ball, which is usually the exception to the trip-up rule. 

If the refs thing they tripped before he got his head around I think they can make a case for it, but that looked like a bad call to me - looked like the reason he tripped was the receiver slowed down while Verrett was looking back. 

I've turned down free tickets to niner games many times.  That stadium is awful.  No charm or character.  It's too hot in the sun and on one entire side of the stadium, the shadow that gets cast makes it tough to see the game.  

Witherspoon out at least a month with a foot sprain. 

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/128669-49ers-ahkello-witherspoon-miss-least-month-sprain-shanahan/

Shanahan said Moseley is the leading candidate right now to start in place of Witherspoon, but there will be a competition with Verrett and others. The coach also didn't rule out the possibility of looking outside the current roster for some cornerback help, if a move makes sense.

"We've got D.J. Reed, who can play corner," Shanahan said. "We've got [Moseley], and we've also got Verrett. We've got three guys that can do it. We know Jimmie (Ward) can also play corner so we've got other guys on this team who can play. So it will be next man up."

Some cool tidbits, most courtesy of PFF:

Through three weeks, both George Kittle (92.7) and Kyle Juszczyk (83.4) have the top overall grades in the NFL at their position. Arik Armstead has the top grade against the run (89.2) among edge defenders.

After missing 78 tackles in four seasons with Tampa Bay, Kwon Alexander has: Missed Tackles: 0,  Stops: 8  (Leads Team)

DeForest Buckner had a stat-stuffing day on Sunday. 7 total tackles, 4 stops, 1 sack, 1 QB hit, 1 QB hurry, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery,  and an 83.6 overall grade

Jimmy G finding his rhythm after a rough opener. Over the last 2 games: 87.3 pass grade (2nd behind Brady), 2nd highest % of positively-graded throws, 4th lowest % of negatively-graded throws, 3rd most accurate based on ball location.

Jimmy Garoppolo 9 of 12, 171 yards, 1 INT on throws 10+ yards downfield. 

Kyle Juszczyk had best game of career. Weston Richburg best game with 49ers with one QB hurry allowed.

Vs Pittsburgh: K’Waun Williams allowed one catch on two targets for 7 yards. Richard Sherman one catch on four targets for 7 yards.

Richard Sherman posted his second 80+ grade in as many weeks. (Week 2: 81.6, Week 3: 85.7). The last time he did that was 2015.

K'Waun Williams has allowed a passer rating of 47.6 in the slot through three games. That's the lowest rating allowed in the slot this season among corners with at lest 50 snaps in slot coverage.

Once again, Nick Bosa led the #49ers with seven total pressures Sunday. He now has 17 in three games, which is 6th among all edge defenders.

49ers pressure tallies vs. Pittsburgh, per PFF:  Nick Bosa: 7, Arik Armstead: 4, Dee Ford: 3,  DeForest Buckner: 3. The 49ers logged 22 pressures; Rudolph threw 27 passes (Bosa had 1/3 of the total pressures).

When Pittsburgh blitzed, per PFF: Jimmy Garoppolo: 70%, 188 yards, 9.4 yards per attempt.

Next Monday night vs the Browns is gonna be fun!!!
Yeah, can't wait.

Watched the entire Rams/Bucs game.  While I didn't expect TB to lay 55 on them, I wasn't buying into the Rams D being that good.  TB receivers running free all game.  They did a really good job of containing Donald with double teams and nobody else was able to put pressure on.  Winston had clean pockets all game.

Of course, Niners don't have an Evans/Godwin combo, but they can unleash Kittle and actually let him run some downfield routes.  I know Kittle is a well rounded player and an excellent blocker, but come on, gotta get him involved more on chunk plays.

Yeah, can't wait.

Watched the entire Rams/Bucs game.  While I didn't expect TB to lay 55 on them, I wasn't buying into the Rams D being that good.  TB receivers running free all game.  They did a really good job of containing Donald with double teams and nobody else was able to put pressure on.  Winston had clean pockets all game.

Of course, Niners don't have an Evans/Godwin combo, but they can unleash Kittle and actually let him run some downfield routes.  I know Kittle is a well rounded player and an excellent blocker, but come on, gotta get him involved more on chunk plays.
Going into this season, I didn't think the Rams would be as good this year as they were last year. They don't scare me at all, Goff gets rattled easily and their running game is pretty average right  now, I believe they're 21st or 22nd in rushing. Of course their defense just got LIT up by TB, I'm sure Shanahan will scheme our WRs open...plus we should have Hurd, who is physical AF...Kittle, Deebo and Hurd...oof, there's gonna be some hitting going on week 6.

49ers fans, what’s  your best guess as to which WR is the one to own going forward ? There seems to be a case for all of them.. 

Goodwin - was Jimmy’s favourite target back in 2017 

Pettis - last season form and turns out he was injured in first 3 weeks 

Deebo - decent start, has been used at a nice level and may continue to get more.

Just thought I’d ask you guys,  as across various re-draft leagues you can find any one of the three of them available and there has to be points to exploit here 

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Thursday they have placed WR Jalen Hurd and CB Jason Verrett on the Injured Reserve List and signed CB Dontae Johnson to a one-year deal. The team also re-signed OL Will Holden to the team’s practice squad. 

Hurd (6-4, 230) was inactive in each of the team’s first three games this season and Verrett (5-10, 188) appeared in one game and was inactive for the other two.

Johnson (6-2, 200), originally entered the NFL as the second of two fourth-round draft picks (129th overall) by the 49ers in the 2014 NFL Draft. In four years with San Francisco (2014-17), he appeared in 63 games (22 starts) and registered 149 tackles, 21 passes defensed and two interceptions returned for touchdowns. In 2018, he spent time with the Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals, but did not see game action. He later signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on February 26, 2019 and was released by the team on May 20. He re-signed with the 49ers on May 28 and was released on August 30. Following his time with the 49ers, he signed with the Los Angeles Chargers on September 11 and was released on September 28.

A 27-year-old native of Pennington, NJ, Johnson attended North Carolina State University. In 50 games (28 starts) over four seasons with the Wolfpack, he finished with 217 tackles, 10 passes defensed, 4.0 sacks, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. As a senior in 2013, he started all 12 games and registered 82 tackles, a team-high three interceptions, two passes defensed and one forced fumble.

Johnson will wear number 38.

Holden (6-7, 312) originally signed to the team’s practice squad on September 17 and was released on October 1.
https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-place-wr-jalen-hurd-and-cb-jason-verrett-on-ir-sign-cb-dontae-johnson

49ers fans, what’s  your best guess as to which WR is the one to own going forward ? There seems to be a case for all of them.. 

Goodwin - was Jimmy’s favourite target back in 2017 

Pettis - last season form and turns out he was injured in first 3 weeks 

Deebo - decent start, has been used at a nice level and may continue to get more.

Just thought I’d ask you guys,  as across various re-draft leagues you can find any one of the three of them available and there has to be points to exploit here 
I'd say Deebo, who leads the WRs in targets with 14. On one hand it's only 14 targets but on the other hand he is a rookie, of course, and hopefully as Jimmy and him get more playing time together it will lead to better things. 

Jalen Hurd and Verrett are headed to the IR; 49ers plan to re-sign WR Jordan Matthews and DB Dontae Johnson

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/10/3/20897381/49ers-free-agency-jalen-hurd-injured-reserve-dontae-johnson-jordan-matthews

The wait will have to continue for fans to see San Francisco 49ers third-round pick Jalen Hurd, who has been out since August with a back injury. The team announced that they are placing Hurd on the injured reserve Thursday morning. That’s a bummer, as Hurd showed flashes in the preseason. That’s not the only player headed to the injured reserve. The 49ers are also placing CB Jason Verrett on IR as well.

The team officially announced that they signed CB Dontae Johnson to a one-year deal. According to Mike Garafolo, the plan is to re-sign WR Jordan Matthews. Garafolo said the Niners want to give Hurd’s back fracture time to heal. Playing it safe is the best route to go.

Johnson (6-2, 200), originally entered the NFL as the second of two fourth-round draft picks (129th overall) by the 49ers in the 2014 NFL Draft. In four years with San Francisco (2014-17), he appeared in 63 games (22 starts) and registered 149 tackles, 21 passes defended, and two interceptions returned for touchdowns. In 2018, he spent time with the Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals, but did not see game action. He later signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on February 26, 2019, and was released by the team on May 20. He re-signed with the 49ers on May 28 and was released on August 30. Following his time with the 49ers, he signed with the Los Angeles Chargers on September 11 and was released on September 28.

Matthews will rejoin the roster, but his involvement remains to be seen. There was a place to put Hurd. Red-zone matchups, against smaller nickel defenders, etc. I don’t see the same for Matthews, but this could also be a move to bolster Special Teams as well. We’ll see.

Injuries continue to mount for the 49ers. The 49ers now have four candidates to bring back from IR: defensive lineman Kentavius Street (knee), receiver Trent Taylor (foot), Jason Verrett (knee) and Jalen Hurd (back). Teams only can give that designation to two players. Taylor is a lock. I’d guess Hurd, if he fully recovers, will return as well.

The good news is weve been winning without Hurd and Verrett. Taylor and Hurd can come back week 11 and 12 respectively, and we will need them down the stretch if we are in the playoff hunt. Still, it sucks because I was really looking forward to seeing Hurd play with his physical style and attitude.

Johnson isnt a terrible signing to take Verretts place in the packing order,  but he could wind up contributing as early as Monday night since he is familiar with the defense and can step in right away if needed. IIRC, he played pretty well in preseason.

Bosa is a Savage. This defense is LEGIT!

Moseley made a nice play in the end zone, Williams keeps his high rating with an INT, Sherm with a nice pick...Ward looked good too and made a few nice plays.

Jimmy looked decent but the play calling never really let him get in  a rhythm. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of down field throws, especially with the Browns secondary being so banged up, but when the running game is clicking I guess there's no need to 

But we're 4-0. And it was a beat down. Are we for real? Yeah, without a doubt.

ETA: fix the kicking issue, Kyle  TIA.

Awesome game.  Next week will be very telling as to the ceiling of this year's team.  Juszczyk getting hurt is a major bummer.

31-3 and they were far from perfect. A good sign. 

Love watching this defense play.  Kwon Alexander brings so much energy and leadership.  Remember all the crying when they signed him? Not so much anymore. 

Thought Ward played well, which was nice to see. 

Jimmy missed some easy throws, which is concerning.  Threw off his back foot a couple times. A little concerning. Samuel and Pettis with drops on potential big plays.  WTF was Richie James doing? Let 3 punts bounce when he could have made easy fair catches.  2nd half kick off was going out of bounds and he catches it along the sideline and goes out of bounds at the 10.  30 yards of field position.  Just dumb football there.  

Great win despite the mistakes.  

This team is legit. Every week they leave points on the board but keep winning. As this young team continues to learn to win they will get better at not missing those opportunities.  Defense is ridiculous. Playing great at all 3 levels. Moseley showed well tonight and Skule has been holding his own which is a great sign for the future. Juice said he will know more tomorrow but said it definitely wasn't an ACL, hope this is just a several weeks thing. Will need him for that second half run. KS is on another level right now. Dude is so out in front of these DC's. Finally getting to do his thing. Sky is the limit for this young, talented team.

SOME PFF TIDBITS:

Nick Bosa in the #49ers' win over the Browns, per @PFF

-9 total pressures
-2 sacks
-3 QB hits
-4 QB hurries
-2 total tackles
-3 stops
-1 forced fumble
-Elite overall grade of 92.3

-Best pass-rush performance for a rookie since the creation of Pro Football Focus  :shock:

Highest single-game pass-rush win rates by a rookie edge defender in the PFF era.

1. Nick Bosa, Week 5 of 2019 — 36.0%
2. Charles Harries, Week 16 of 2017 — 28.6%
3. Nick Bosa, Week 1 of 2019 — 28.0%
3. Kemoko Turay Week 7 of 2018 — 28.0%
5. Khalil Mack, Week 6 of 2014 — 27.6%

Richard Sherman on MNF on targets 20+ yards:
3 targets
0 catches
1 INT
1 forced incompletion

Sherman on targets 20+ yards in career:
1st in coverage grade
16 INT (1st)
34 forced incompletions (2nd)
50.2 rating allowed (6th)

K'Waun Williams is now the second-highest graded corner in the NFL.

Overall Grade: 87.0
Passer rating allowed in slot coverage: 28.7

Kyle Juszczyk has an injured MCL...no word on how long he will be out yet, pending an MRI.

The good news is players come back much faster form MCL injuries than ACL...it could just be a few weeks :fingerscrossed:

Kyle Juszczyk has an injured MCL...no word on how long he will be out yet, pending an MRI.

The good news is players come back much faster form MCL injuries than ACL...it could just be a few weeks :fingerscrossed:
Fun to be playing well and winning, but would be nice if a key starter didn't get hurt every game.  Staley, Witherspoon and now Juice.  On the positive side, giving Mosley and Skule some valuable playing time.  Especially important for Skule being a swing tackle when Staley returns.  Mosley was only targeted twice, which typically means he was doing a great job in coverage.

If they can beat the Rams next week, they could easily be 8-0 before the game with Seattle.  Rams have 3 extra days to prepare and Niners on a short week, but still feeling good about it. This just has that 1981 season feeling about it.

For F sake, we cant get through a single game without a significant injury.

Week 1: Coleman (out 3 weeks)

Week 2: Staley (out 6-8 weeks)

Week 3: Witherspoon (out 4 weeks)

Week 4: bye

Week 5: Juszczyk (out 4-6 weeks)

:wall:

For F sake, we cant get through a single game without a significant injury.

Week 1: Coleman (out 3 weeks)

Week 2: Staley (out 6-8 weeks)

Week 3: Witherspoon (out 4 weeks)

Week 4: bye

Week 5: Juszczyk (out 4-6 weeks)

Some crazy bad luck in that area so far, but shows how far the roster has come when you can miss key players and still roll.

Didn't realize how good of a player Kwon Alexander is prior to him coming over.  Heard a lot of complaints about missed tackles, but guy has been rock solid so far and brings a lot of leadership and energy.  Him are Warner make a nice combo and Greenlaw is playing well.  All the whining about overpaying has stopped.

Some crazy bad luck in that area so far, but shows how far the roster has come when you can miss key players and still roll.

Didn't realize how good of a player Kwon Alexander is prior to him coming over.  Heard a lot of complaints about missed tackles, but guy has been rock solid so far and brings a lot of leadership and energy.  Him are Warner make a nice combo and Greenlaw is playing well.  All the whining about overpaying has stopped.
Yeah, living in Tampa Ive seen Kwon play quite a bit the past few years...aside form the tackling issue that is seemingly behind him, I always liked his game. Hes absolutely the emotional leader of our defense, has insane energy, and hes been balling every week. One of the best FA signings for sure. Him and Juice are worth every penny IMO.

Well i guess that is bad and good news. Sucks losing a player like him that can literally do everything on the offensive side of the ball.

Good news though, with him only being out a max 6 weeks, they would get him back right before the schedule starts to get extremely tough. He will definitely be missed vs the rams and seahawks though. 

Juice out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129085-49ers-kyle-juszczyk-out-weeks-mcl-sprain/

Last night, Shanahan used Dwelley (TE) as a fullback when Juice went out, so Im sure Shanahan will scheme it out so the RBs have a blocker to follow and for pass protection.
Juice doesn't want to miss that much time. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.49erswebzone.com/news/amp-129087/

The backups have been impressive so far and I guess the good news is that we haven't lost anyone for the year. 

efactor said:
If they can beat the Rams next week, they could easily be 8-0 before the game with Seattle.  Rams have 3 extra days to prepare and Niners on a short week, but still feeling good about it. This just has that 1981 season feeling about it.
I agree. This team can beat this Rams team and I fully expect them to. The confidence feels good. I can't wait for next week as soon as the current weeks game ends! 

I especially love watching this defense play. Being relevant on defense again brings me great joy. 

John Averageman has thrown 12 TDs in 8 games as a starter in  a 49ers uni. avg'd about 63% comp, 275 yards/g,m, and 1 INT per game. exactly what am I missing here? I just don't see it with the Niners . I'm not drinking the kool-aid. They're a bad, really bad team, without much talent at the skill positions save for Kittle, and a pretty terrible coaching staff that has one of the worst records in the NFL over the past two seasons. I don't see SF magically turning this carpet ride around and making it work. 

There's nothing more than potential bye-week fillers and desperation plays on this team, but nothing you'd stick your nect out to draft and have that person be a building block of your fantasy team. I can't imagine any of these players , outside of Kittle, being selected anywhere but the rounds close to the kickers - i.e., 2nd to last, last, and waiver wire fodder.

by Halloween they'll be calling for John Averageman to be benched. He's not a good starting QB.
O RLY?

:popcorn:

So far so good... will be interesting to see the game where they can't run at will and Jimmy G has to put the team on his shoulders.

Last night was fun though... big slice of humble pie for the Baker as well.

Starting tackles for the next month:

Justin Skule And Dan Brunskill. 

This is the first time McGlinchey has ever missed a game at any level due to injury.

Brunskill, who played his college ball at San Diego State as a tight end, signed with the Atlanta Falcons as an undrafted free agent back in 2017, converting to the offensive line. He spent two years on Atlanta’s practice squad before signing on with the AAF’s San Diego Fleet.

I wonder if Trent Williams is on the 49ers radar with this new development.

Starting tackles for the next month:

Justin Skule And Dan Brunskill. 

This is the first time McGlinchey has ever missed a game at any level due to injury.

Brunskill, who played his college ball at San Diego State as a tight end, signed with the Atlanta Falcons as an undrafted free agent back in 2017, converting to the offensive line. He spent two years on Atlanta’s practice squad before signing on with the AAF’s San Diego Fleet.

I wonder if Trent Williams is on the 49ers radar with this new development.
Redskins seem pretty adamant they are not trading Williams. Foolish stance but Allen and Snyder are foolish guys. 

I think they see how this week goes. Redskins, Panthers  at home and AZ the 3 weeks after the Rams. They can survive that stretch and hopefully both Glinch and Staley are back for the Seattle game. 

So if all goes well for Staley, McGlinchey, Whitherspoon, and Juice, they should be able to return by November 11th, which is a Monday night game vs the Seahawks. 

Hopefully the def can continue to dominate until everyone is healthy on the offensive side of the ball. 

Side note: Just book the hotel and flight to fly to DC for the 49ers vs redskins game next weekend!!  :headbang: :pickle:

I dont think Kittle sits unless hes half dead.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129236-49ers-rams-injury-report-george-kittle-questionable-division-showdown/

The San Francisco 49ers are preparing for their Week 6 contest against the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California.

The surprise news was that the 49ers' Pro Bowl tight end, George Kittle, is listed as questionable for Sunday's game. He is dealing with a groin injury and was limited during Friday's practice.

"I don't have much information on it," head coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters on Friday. "They'll check it out here this afternoon, but he was limited because of it today."

Shanahan was asked if he expects Kittle to play on Sunday.

"Right now, I do," he responded. "But it's still a little bit early, so that's why he will be questionable. We'll see what news I get later, after he gets with the trainers and stuff, and gets it checked out."

The 49ers will be without both their starting tackles, Joe Staley (fibula) and Mike McGlinchey (knee), along with the team's only fullback, Kyle Juszczyk (knee). Rookie Justin Skule has been playing in place of Staley since the veteran's Week 2 injury. Daniel Brunskill will replace McGlinchey.

The 49ers did not sign a replacement fullback this week and plan to play without one.

Wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was excused from practice for personal reasons but is expected to play in Los Angeles, said Shanahan.

On the Rams side, the team will be without cornerback Aqib Talib (rib), and running back Todd Gurley (quadricep) has been listed as doubtful for this weekend. ALSO: Clay Matthews is out with a broken jaw

Users who are viewing this thread