What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (2 Viewers)

What are we thinking of Deebo Samuel this week and beyond.  Schedule looks yummy, but I don't watch enough SF games to know how much of the game plan he is in week to week.  Think he's a good flex start tomorrow vs LAR?  

What are we thinking of Deebo Samuel this week and beyond.  Schedule looks yummy, but I don't watch enough SF games to know how much of the game plan he is in week to week.  Think he's a good flex start tomorrow vs LAR?  
His aDOT is really low and he's not running traditional pass patterns to get the ball; they're gadget plays. 

Wingnut said:
He was limited in practice after being fine all week...listed as questionable, but he's playing.
The fact that he was fine until Friday is more concerning, not less. That said, I don’t own him but am in TE hell. Does he have a viable replacement?

De-f$&#ing-fense! 

We get to wreck the Redskins next then Carolina comes to town. If we hold McCaffrey in check then we win that game pretty easily too. TB did a good job of doing so today but Winston "Winston'd" the game away by throwing 5 picks. 

We could be 8-0 or 7-1 in early November...and then get back Staley, McGlinchey, Witherspoon, Juice, Trent Taylor, and Hurd....this team might be poised to make a deep run, and they're built for playoff football. 

Buckle up!!

:popcorn:

Week 6 tidbits:

PFF pass rush productivity, 49ers have 2 of the top 5 in the NFL:

1. Nick Bosa, 49ers — 14.3
2. Kemoko Turay, Colts — 13.1
3. Benson Mayowa, Raiders — 11.9
4. Dee Ford, 49ers — 11.8
5. Clay Matthews, Rams — 11.5

Despite dealing with a chronic knee issue, Dee Ford has made his presence felt on the field. He earned an elite grade in just 21 defensive snaps.

Pass Rush: 93.2
Total Pressures: 5
Sacks: 2

Ford had the highest Pass Rush productivity of any edge defender this week at 19.4

The 49ers’ first-rounders (Ford, Bosa, Buckner, Armstead, Thomas) combined for *19* pressures. (PFF)

RT Dan Brunskill was the 49ers highest-graded offensive lineman vs. Rams, per PFF. Allowed only one QB hurry. When he showed up from the AAF O-line coach John Benton told said “I’d never heard of the guy, to be honest, but he’s pretty good."

Not only that, he earned the team's highest run-blocking grade as well.

Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Odell Beckham, Jr., Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Brandin Cooks *combined* against the 49ers this season: 14 catches, 143 yards, 1 TD.

George Kittle is the most efficient receiver in football, even more than wideouts. He came into the week banged up but still managed to catch all eight of his targets for 103 yards. He now leads the NFL in yards per route run (2.94)

George Kittle 2.94
Stefon Diggs 2.92
Amari Cooper 2.91
Michael Thomas 2.83
Michael Gallup 2.80

Jimmy Ward is back! PFF grades for week 6:

Coverage: 80.7
Tackling: 80.9
Overall: 89.8

This is the highest overall grade Ward has earned since 2016.

The 49ers have faced five quarterbacks so far — Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield, and Jared Goff — and they’ve averaged 9.6 fantasy points against them. In their other starts (excepting Rudolph’s Week 5 when he got injured), those quarterbacks have averaged 17.8 points.

Time of possession:
49ers — 38:52
Rams — 21:08

The Rams went 0-9 on third down and 0-4 on fourth down, including failing to convert on a devastating goal line stand.

The 49ers held the Rams to:

7 points (t-2nd fewest in McVay era).
165 yards (fewest in McVay era)
56 passing yards (fewest in McVay era)
10 first downs (fewest in McVay era)
0 third-down conversions (fewest in McVay era)

Football Outsiders updated playoff probability based on DVOA:

1. Patriots — 99.9%
2. 49ers — 90.7%
3. Saints — 88.1%
4. Chiefs — 78.8%
5. Ravens — 74.4%

In December, 49ers play back-to-back road games against No. 3 and No. 5

Only the New England Patriots are allowing fewer points (8 per game) and yards (234.7) than the 49ers (14.3 points, 257.5 yards).

The 49ers have scored on their opening 2nd half drive in all 5 games this season - the first time since 1961.

Week 6 tidbits:

PFF pass rush productivity, 49ers have 2 of the top 5 in the NFL:

1. Nick Bosa, 49ers — 14.3
2. Kemoko Turay, Colts — 13.1
3. Benson Mayowa, Raiders — 11.9
4. Dee Ford, 49ers — 11.8
5. Clay Matthews, Rams — 11.5

Despite dealing with a chronic knee issue, Dee Ford has made his presence felt on the field. He earned an elite grade in just 21 defensive snaps.

Pass Rush: 93.2
Total Pressures: 5
Sacks: 2

Ford had the highest Pass Rush productivity of any edge defender this week at 19.4

The 49ers’ first-rounders (Ford, Bosa, Buckner, Armstead, Thomas) combined for *19* pressures. (PFF)

RT Dan Brunskill was the 49ers highest-graded offensive lineman vs. Rams, per PFF. Allowed only one QB hurry. When he showed up from the AAF O-line coach John Benton told said “I’d never heard of the guy, to be honest, but he’s pretty good."

Not only that, he earned the team's highest run-blocking grade as well.

Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Odell Beckham, Jr., Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Brandin Cooks *combined* against the 49ers this season: 14 catches, 143 yards, 1 TD.

George Kittle is the most efficient receiver in football, even more than wideouts. He came into the week banged up but still managed to catch all eight of his targets for 103 yards. He now leads the NFL in yards per route run (2.94)

George Kittle 2.94
Stefon Diggs 2.92
Amari Cooper 2.91
Michael Thomas 2.83
Michael Gallup 2.80

Jimmy Ward is back! PFF grades for week 6:

Coverage: 80.7
Tackling: 80.9
Overall: 89.8

This is the highest overall grade Ward has earned since 2016.

The 49ers have faced five quarterbacks so far — Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield, and Jared Goff — and they’ve averaged 9.6 fantasy points against them. In their other starts (excepting Rudolph’s Week 5 when he got injured), those quarterbacks have averaged 17.8 points.

Time of possession:
49ers — 38:52
Rams — 21:08

The Rams went 0-9 on third down and 0-4 on fourth down, including failing to convert on a devastating goal line stand.

The 49ers held the Rams to:

7 points (t-2nd fewest in McVay era).
165 yards (fewest in McVay era)
56 passing yards (fewest in McVay era)
10 first downs (fewest in McVay era)
0 third-down conversions (fewest in McVay era)

Football Outsiders updated playoff probability based on DVOA:

1. Patriots — 99.9%
2. 49ers — 90.7%
3. Saints — 88.1%
4. Chiefs — 78.8%
5. Ravens — 74.4%

In December, 49ers play back-to-back road games against No. 3 and No. 5

Only the New England Patriots are allowing fewer points (8 per game) and yards (234.7) than the 49ers (14.3 points, 257.5 yards).

The 49ers have scored on their opening 2nd half drive in all 5 games this season - the first time since 1961.
Pretty amazing turn in the D in one year.  I guess an elite pass rush really does matter (sarcasm). 

Holding the Rams to under a 100 yards passing?  Didn't think that was possible.  

The 49ers defense is no joke, that's for certain.    Kyle Shanahan should be an odds-on favorite for Coach of the Year at this point, but it's early. 

I can imagine that he has the match-up with the Redskins next week circled on his calendar, considering the "bad  blood" between the Shanahans and Redskins team president Bruce Allen.   The Skins just barely beat a Dolphin team that's trying to tank.   

This team is legit, and legit fun to watch. Anyone see our DC on the sidelines losing his damn mind on every 4th down stop? 

ya gotta love that. 

I’m actually a little shocked they won. I was telling a friend if they win it won’t be through the air, it’ll be on defense. My exact quote was “if the niners lose it’ll be because of Goff’s arm & if they win it’ll be because of Goff’s arm, but either way they gotta win ugly with defense.”

1/3 of the starting OL out? Probowl FB out? On the road at a divisional rival that was in the SB last year?

man - 5-0 is unbelievable. And in a few weeks they’ll get the hurt players back, so this win gives them some cushion. 

Seahawks & Niners appear to be the class of the NFC right now. Would be fun to have a div winner & WC both come out of the west. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This team is legit, and legit fun to watch. Anyone see our DC on the sidelines losing his damn mind on every 4th down stop? 

ya gotta love that. 

I’m actually a little shocked they won. I was telling a friend if they win it won’t be through the air, it’ll be on defense. My exact quote was “if the niners lose it’ll be because of Goff’s arm & if they win it’ll be because of Goff’s arm, but either way they gotta win ugly with defense.”

1/3 of the starting OL out? Probowl FB out? On the road at a divisional rival that was in the SB last year?

man - 5-0 is unbelievable. And in a few weeks they’ll get the hurt players back, so this win gives them some cushion. 

Seahawks & Niners appear to be the class of the NFC right now. Would be fun to have a div winner & WC both come out of the west. 
Re the bold: Don't forget about the Saints, who we play in New Orleans week 15.

I told my GF before the 49er game that this game wasn't gonna be a shootout and it would be a low scoring game. Partly because of our defense, and partly because of all of our injuries on the offensive side. I didnt think we'd stymie the Rams offense as bad as we did though. It was impressive. It's been a while since I've been just as excited when our defense is on the field as I am when we have the ball. 

Re the bold: Don't forget about the Saints.

I told my GF before the 49er game that this game wasn't gonna be a shootout and it would be a low scoring game. Partly because of our defense, and partly because of all of our injuries on the offensive side. I didnt think we'd stymie the Rams offense as bad as we did though. It was impressive. It's been a while since I've been just as excited when our defense is on the field as I am when we have the ball. 
Until I see Brees come back & the Saints play a complete game I’m a little on the fence about them.

Kamara is banged up & I haven’t seen them look particularly dominant, though they have a lot of firepower. The defense seems to have regressed a little since last year but I haven’t looked at all of the stats to see where they are among the pack.

Definitely a top 4 team. MIN looks a little more complete if they keep playing like they did the last two weeks, and if Philly can get their secondary healthy & get DJax back they’re in the discussion as well. 

For the number of trash teams out there like MIA & WAS, theres an awful lot of “very good but lots of questions” type teams.

Niners have the defense though. That pass rush is terrifying. IMO that gives them the edge over the rest - Sherman looks 100% again, and Ward has been fantastic. With such a good pass rush, they’ll have a puncher’s chance every game. And they can run the ball. 

they need to get that OL healthy though. Couple ugly hits on JimmyG.

Sacks in 2018 thru 5 games: 9 (1.8 per game, 37 for the year)

Sacks in 2019 thru 5 games: 17 (3.4 per game, on pace for 54)

Sacks this season:

Ford: 3.5
Buckner: 3
Bosa: 3
Armstead: 2.5
Thomas: 2
Blair: 2
K Williams: .5
Alexander: .5

ya gotta love that.
That was awesome. Every time they showed him going nuts it made me go nuts.

With such a good pass rush, they’ll have a puncher’s chance every game. And they can run the ball. 
Yep, this team is built for football in January - excellent pass rush/defense, excellent running game...this is gonna be fun to watch.

I still dont get why we signed Jordan Matthews and havent let him play yet. Hed be a big target for Jimmy.

Maybe RE the Hawks but they aren't close to being in our class at the moment. The point differential across the Rams, Browns, Bengals and Steelers games is +8 Hawks, +69 Niners. And that's with the Niners leaving so many points on the board from self-inflicted wounds (missed FG's, red-zone TO's and TD's called back). Hawks are allowing 24.3 PPG on defense, Niners 12.8.

And all of this while missing both starting offensive tackles, the OW Juice and their best CB Spoon. We will have those guys coming back plus potentially Taylor/Hurd at some point. Can't wait for that Seahawks game in 4 weeks. We beat them last year with Mullens and a completely different defense. Should be fun to play them with the new and improved Niners. 

Sacks in 2018 thru 5 games: 9 (1.8 per game, 37 for the year)

Sacks in 2019 thru 5 games: 17 (3.4 per game, on pace for 54)

Sacks this season:

Ford: 3.5
Buckner: 3
Bosa: 3
Armstead: 2.5
Thomas: 2
Blair: 2
K Williams: .5
Alexander: .5
Bosa got robbed of a 4th sack against Baker when they credited it as an intentional grounding. His knee was clearly down before he threw it.

Maybe RE the Hawks but they aren't close to being in our class at the moment. The point differential across the Rams, Browns, Bengals and Steelers games is +8 Hawks, +69 Niners. And that's with the Niners leaving so many points on the board from self-inflicted wounds (missed FG's, red-zone TO's and TD's called back). Hawks are allowing 24.3 PPG on defense, Niners 12.8.

And all of this while missing both starting offensive tackles, the OW Juice and their best CB Spoon. We will have those guys coming back plus potentially Taylor/Hurd at some point. Can't wait for that Seahawks game in 4 weeks. We beat them last year with Mullens and a completely different defense. Should be fun to play them with the new and improved Niners. 
In principle I agree, but Hawks are pretty healthy (Dissley was a big loss)  and there’s something about that team - they’re a “just enough” kinda team.

they step up at big times & make big plays on both sides of the ball. 

i hate Pete Carroll & hate to compliment the ‘Hawks, but man that team has some mojo. Russell Wilson is incredibly underrated & plays with as much heart as anyone I’ve ever seen. Their receiving corps is impressive & their defense does just enough to win. 

maybe the advanced stats don’t support it, but IMO they’re the 2nd best team in the NFC right now.  Something to be said for playing as a unit, and doing the right thing at the right time. They’ve got a lot of hustle guys & they’re clutch as hell. 

hat tip to the Seahawks for being more than the sum of their parts. 

I’m principle I agree, but Hawks are pretty healthy (Dissley was a big loss)  and there’s something about that team - they’re a “just enough” kinda team.

they step up at big times & make big plays on both sides of the ball. 

i hate Pete Carroll & hate to compliment the ‘Hawks, but man that team has some mojo. Russell Wilson is incredibly underrated & plays with as much heart as anyone I’ve ever seen. Their receiving corps is impressive & their defense does just enough to win. 

maybe the advanced stats don’t support it, but IMO they’re the 2nd best team in the NFC right now.  Something to be said for playing as a unit, and doing the right thing at the right time. They’ve got a lot of hustle guys & they’re clutch as hell. 

hat tip to the Seahawks for being more than the sum of their parts. 
The Hawks are only good because of Wilson.  They have him game manage for 3 quarters and then release the shackles in the 4th when the games on the line.

He is able to keep the games close despite the defense and some questionable play calling.

Re the bold: Don't forget about the Saints, who we play in New Orleans week 15.

It reminds me so much of those Vic Fangio defense's where it felt like we never blitzed, and still consistently got pressure on the QB.  I'm not sure where to find the numbers, but from watching it sure doesn't seem like we send more than 4 very often and are still consistently generating pressure

More tidbits:

Kittle continues to reinforce why hes the best TE in the game

YAC: 205 (2nd)
Missed tackles: 7 (2nd)
Run blocking: 72.9 (75th)

His raw numbers arent as crazy as last year, but hes more efficient than ever.

Salehs defense has "won" 55% of their defensive snaps this season. The NFL average is 46%.

The defense has also won 90% of their 4th down attempts. The NFL average is 51%

Jimmy G is 13-2 as a starter, becoming the 8th QB in the super bowl era to win 13 of his first 15 starts.

49ers defense:

- No. 1 in passing YPG
- No. 1 in rushing TD (tied)
- No. 2 in YPG
- No. 2 in passer rating
- No. 2 in 1st downs per game
- No. 2 in PPG
- No. 6 in rushing YPG

The 49ers defense held the Rams to 56 yards passing, the fewest by an opponent since Week 17, 2010 at St. Louis Rams (22 yards).

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last time the 49ers held an opponent without a third or fourth down conversion in a game was Oct. 1988 at the Rams (0-7 on third down and 0-1 on fourth down).

Top 5 PFF Grades (offense)

Kittle 85.4
Breida 76.0
Brunskill 75.2
Pettis 69.3
Toilolo 67.9

PFF had Brunskill as the only offensive lineman to now allow any pressure.

Worst graded (offense)

Richburg 51.0
Coleman 48.3
Dwelley 47.2
Person 37.4
Tomlinson 35.5

Three offensive linemen listed. When you run for 2.4 yards on 41 carries, it makes sense. PFF had Person giving up seven pressures. Tomlinson gave up four, and Richburg gave up three. Justin Skule and Brunskill allowing the least amount of pressure

Top 5 PFF grades (defense)

Ford 94.9
Armstead 90.3
Ward 89.3
Thomas 77.8

Ford’s grade is the highest graded game by any 49er this season. He’s been tremendous all season, he just hasn’t played extensive snaps. Ford was credited with five pressures, including two sacks, a stop, and a forced fumble.

Armstead continues his stellar season with four pressures, including a sack. Ward didn’t allow a reception on three targets. Both of his pass breakups were huge. He looks very good in two weeks of action.

Worst graded (defense)

Warner 56.8
Jones 51.9
Blair 51.1
Alexander 40
K Williams 38.8

Williams missed a tackle, but he didn’t allow a reception in either of his targets. PFF had Alexander for four missed tackles. Blair was credited for a sack but only had one other pressure. Warner allowed some yards after the catch, including missing a tackle.

SNAP COUNTS:

Offense - 77 snaps

QB -
Jimmy Garoppolo: 77 snaps

RB
Tevin Coleman: 43
Matt Breida 27
Raheem Mostert 7

TE
George Kittle: 64
Levine Toilolo 37
Ross Dwelley 32

WR
Dante Pettis: 55
Deebo Samuel 47
Marquise Goodwin 47
Kendrick Bourne 22
Richie James Jr. 4

Coleman finished the game with 20 touches, while Breida had 17 touches. I’m sure that’s the type of balance Kyle Shanahan wants. Garoppolo dropped back to pass 35 times, so there’s your run/pass balance if you’re into that.

Defense-52 snaps

DL
DeForest Buckner 48
Nick Bosa 43
Arik Armstead 40
Solomon Thomas 25
Dee Ford 21
Ronald Blair 15
D.J. Jones 12
Sheldon Day 6

LB
Fred Warner 52
Kwon Alexander 52
Dre Greenlaw 4

DB
Emmanuel Moseley 52
Jaquiski Tartt 52
Jimmie Ward 52
Richard Sherman 47
K’Waun Williams 27
D.J. Reed 19
Dontae Johnson 5

Williams hurt his hamstring, and Reed filled in admirably. Ward played in the slot with Williams out, and he is an upgrade in coverage. What was surprising is that Tarvarius Moore is an afterthought now. Sherman missed five snaps with a stinger.

The Rams are a heavy 11 personnel team, so it’s no surprise to see Greenlaw and the one-techniques play so few snaps. Thomas played the second-most snaps he has all season, and he came up with a big sack. He also had a nice run stop in the game.

It reminds me so much of those Vic Fangio defense's where it felt like we never blitzed, and still consistently got pressure on the QB.  I'm not sure where to find the numbers, but from watching it sure doesn't seem like we send more than 4 very often and are still consistently generating pressure
Sherman shutting down half the field is everything. A lot of the pressure/sacks are coverage when they’re only rushing 3-4. 

they definitely play off of each other. I was holding my breath when Sherman hurt his shoulder - he was leaning over rubbing his knee & everyone at the pizza place I caught the second half at after my market gasped & a pall was cast over the room. 

he bounced right back though. 

Yeah, we dont blitz often, the pass rush is getting it done with 4 guys most of the time. Ive heard several analysts mention that fact. Best DL in the NFL.

SF409ers said:

I’ll believe that when they go to Seattle and don’t get their face beat in. 

49ers power rankings for week 7:

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-power-rankings-week-7

The San Francisco 49ers are off to their best start since 1990. The team currently sits at 5-0 after a 20-7 victory over the Los Angeles Rams. Members of various media outlets continue to take notice of the team's rise. San Francisco will look to build off the early season success when they travel to Washington to take on the Redskins on Sunday.

Here’s where San Francisco stands entering Week 7:

Dan Hanzus, NFL.com: 2 (Last Week: 4)

"Quite a six-day span for the Niners, who stole the Browns souls on "Monday Night Football," then bullied their former tormenters with a convincing win over the Rams in Los Angeles on Sunday. Again, the defense keyed the victory, holding Sean McVay's once-unstoppable attack to just 157 yards of total offense. Los Angeles marched 56 yards down the field on seven consecutive runs to score the game's opening touchdown, then was held scoreless the rest of the way. The game's biggest sequence began on third-and-goal with the Rams one yard away from a go-ahead score late in the second quarter. The 49ers stuffed two Rams rush attempts for no gain, and Los Angeles never reached the red zone again. The Rams' next six drives after that goal-line scuffle totaled zero yards. The Niners have the best defense in the NFC -- maybe the NFL -- right now. They're for real."

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News: 2 (Last Week: 6)

"The 49ers made a statement with their stomping of the Browns at home in Week 5. They made a much bigger one by squashing the reigning NFC West and conference Rams in Los Angeles. Between the pass defense, run defense, passing game and running game, it's getting hard to find any true weaknesses on this team. The 49ers have already surpassed last season's win total.”

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports: 2 (Last Week: 2)

"Shanahan and his staff have done an impressive job with this group. Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh is a rising star in the profession and Shanahan remains one of the best play-callers in the league. The schedule will get tougher in a few weeks, but the 49ers are far from close to being healthy now. They played without their starting tackles against the Rams and all-important fullback Kyle Juszczyk. When they get healthy, the offense will be much improved. That defensive front is truly special. It's the kind of dominant unit that can carry a team a long way."

SI Staff, Sports Illustrated: 2 (Last Week: 5)

"The Niners made easy work of their division foes and should cruise to 6-0 against the Redskins next week. The defense–whose oldest player is 31-year-old Richard Sherman–has only surrendered 65 first downs this season."

Frank Schwab, Yahoo Sports: 2 (Last Week: 4)

"It’s time to put the 49ers at No. 2 after those past two performances. Any doubts should be gone now. And I think they can get even better if they can get the passing game going. This is a really good team."

NFL Staff, Bleacher Report: 3 (Last Week 5)

“The 2019 San Francisco 49ers are for real. One week after shutting down the Cleveland Browns in a 31-3 blowout, the 49ers went one better—San Francisco blasted the defending NFC champions in their own stadium. The 49ers defense was dominant against the Rams. The team held Jared Goff to a jaw-dropping 78 passing yards and was perfect on third and fourth down—the Rams failed to convert on all 13 of their attempts Sunday.”

Lindsay Jones, The Athletic: 3 (Last Week: 5)

"The 49ers have now put together dominant defensive performances in back-to-back weeks, and the way they thoroughly shut down the Rams shifted the balance of power in the NFC West. The scariest part right now about the 49ers defense is how deep the pass rush is. Four players registered at least a half sack against the Rams — and it was a different four players than those that registered a sack six days earlier against Cleveland."

NFL Nation, ESPN.com: 3 (Last Week: 6)

"The 49ers finished last in the NFL a year ago when it came to turning red zone drives into touchdowns. They've made some progress this year (they're up to a 46% touchdown rate from 41% in 2018) but still have plenty of room to improve. Getting their starting offensive tackles and fullback back from injury should help, but if nothing else, they must cut down on turnovers when they get deep in opposing territory."

49ers injury news: Kyle Shanahan provides updates on Joe Staley, Ahkello Witherspoon, Garrett Celek

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129388-injury-shanahan-provides-updates-staley-ahkello-witherspoon-garrett/

The San Francisco 49ers have been without starting cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon since his Week 3 injury and without starting left tackle Joe Staley since his Week 2 injury. Witherspoon suffered a foot sprain and was expected to miss "at least a month." Staley fractured his fibula and was given an estimated recovery time of about six to eight weeks. Although, the 49ers were hoping for something closer to the lower range of that estimate.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan spoke with reporters on Monday, and after providing an update on players injured during Sunday's 20-7 victory over the Los Angeles Rams, he was asked for an update on Witherspoon and Staley.

"[Witherspoon is] going in the right direction," Shanahan said. "I think there's a better chance next week (vs. Carolina), but I do not expect him to have a chance this week."

Shanahan said of Staley: "I'm still hoping for Arizona (Week 9). That's where I'm looking at him for. Maybe a chance for Carolina, but I would consider that very lucky. In my mind, I'm hoping for Arizona."

Shanahan also noted that tight end Garrett Celek (back) could come back in a couple of weeks.

"Hopefully, he'll be fine with all the things he's got to get cleared on," the coach said. "If he is, we'll throw him right into practice, and see if he's ready to go."

Fullback Kyle Juszczyk (knee) and right tackle Mike McGlinchey (knee) remain on track for November returns.

Slowing down Nick Bosa seems like an impossible task for NFL offenses thus far. In Week 6 against the Los Angeles Rams, the second overall pick added another four quarterback pressures to his season total — he’s now secured at least four pressures in every single NFL game he’s played in so far — and through six weeks, he ranks first among rookie edge defenders in pass-rush grade (83.3), pass-rush productivity (14.3) and total pressures generated (30). The PFF record for most pressures produced by a rookie edge defender is currently held by Aldon Smith, with 64 pressures back in 2011. Bosa is on track to record 96 total pressures in 2019.

:shock:

Rams trade Marcus Peters to Ravens, and then trade for Jalen Ramsey  :eek:

The Jaguars are receiving two first-round picks (2020 and 2021), and a 2021 fourth-round pick in exchange for Ramsey, per the report.

Rams trade Marcus Peters to Ravens, and then trade for Jalen Ramsey  :eek:

The Jaguars are receiving two first-round picks (2020 and 2021), and a 2021 fourth-round pick in exchange for Ramsey, per the report.
Niners must of broke them. A 3-3 team (0-2 in the division) that's trending downward trading away 2 future 1st's for a player that won't do much to add to the win column is the definition of desperation. Ramsey isn't going to help them from being 0-9 on 3rd down and 0-4 on 4th down like they were last week. Guess with the wheels falling off and a new stadium on deck they needed to do something to keep the fan-base bandwagon rolling. I'm actually looking froward to the new stadium. Will be a nice home away from home venue for us in the future. 

Veteran long snapper Kyle Nelson is eligible to come back week 8 vs Carolina. Thank God. Hopefully he can work with rookie punter holder Wishnowsky and they can get the kicking game back on track after the Washington game.

I just hope this isn't something that sticks inside Gould's head...although the last time I remember a 49er kicker with a case of the yips was David Akers back in 2012 when he finished the season making only 69% of FGs (worst percentage of his career) and we went to the super bowl that year.

Maybe history repeats itself...

The best thing about the Ramsey trade is now the Rams dont have a 1st round pick (unless they trade back into it) for the next five years. Talk about mortgaging your future. 

:thumbup:

The 49ers defense is no joke, that's for certain.    Kyle Shanahan should be an odds-on favorite for Coach of the Year at this point, but it's early. 

I can imagine that he has the match-up with the Redskins next week circled on his calendar, considering the "bad  blood" between the Shanahans and Redskins team president Bruce Allen.   The Skins just barely beat a Dolphin team that's trying to tank.   
The 49ers have faced five quarterbacks so far — Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield, and Jared Goff  :coffee:

The 49ers have faced five quarterbacks so far — Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield, and Jared Goff  :coffee:
Winston vs Rams (385 yards, 4 TDs), Dalton vs Seahawks (418 yards, 2 TDs), Mayfield vs Ravens (342 yards, 1 TD), Goff vs Buccaneers (517 yards, 2 TDs). 

Those QBs faired "slightly" worse against our defense. 

I suspect a number of things about the stadium contribute to a lower turnout from die hard locals and leave more tickets available for away fans. 
As long as the team is winning that’s not usually a problem. 

that said there is some resentment that it’s in Santa Clara. I think it’s a little silly because it’s not like Candlestick Point was downtown either. more like the deep deep deeeeep outskirts. 

what they shoulda done is built a stadium near whatever SF Giants stadium is called these days (oracle park? 🤢

but winning cures a lot of what’s wrong with a stadium. From what I’ve seen, Levi’s is a gorgeous facility. And the blazing sun isn’t as much an issue in fall/winter.

The biggest problem with stadium attendance is that my couch is a lot more comfortable, my BBQ makes better food, my terlet is cleaner & my 65” television produces gorgeous close-ups.  And all for the low low price of not getting raped for a ticket. 

IMO that’s the issue that plagues a lot of sports these days. 

The biggest problem with stadium attendance is that my couch is a lot more comfortable, my BBQ makes better food, my terlet is cleaner & my 65” television produces gorgeous close-ups.  And all for the low low price of not getting raped for a ticket. 

This is always my problem. I have only went to a few football games (3-4 at Candlestick, 1 at Levis), and a ton of baseball games, but half the time I just wish it was time to go. If the game is not close it gets boring and I cannot change the channel, at home I could make some nice ribeyes from Costco for less than the price of parking etc. Maybe I just don't have the right mentality to enjoy live sports. Sure, sporting events are fun if you have a ton of friends going and doing stuff, but that is more due to the friends than the event, would be just as fun to have 10 people in my living room. 

This is always my problem. I have only went to a few football games (3-4 at Candlestick, 1 at Levis), and a ton of baseball games, but half the time I just wish it was time to go. If the game is not close it gets boring and I cannot change the channel, at home I could make some nice ribeyes from Costco for less than the price of parking etc. Maybe I just don't have the right mentality to enjoy live sports. Sure, sporting events are fun if you have a ton of friends going and doing stuff, but that is more due to the friends than the event, would be just as fun to have 10 people in my living room. 
We went to a lot of games at the stick when I was a kid. 

took an hour to get in, 90 mins to get out to 101, another 45 in traffic home to San Mateo. 

so we’d go super early, throw the football around in the AM & get some ribs or fried tip or chicken smoking, BS with friendly parking lot denizens, drink sodas (& sneak sips of dad’s beer) and make a whole day if it. 

but back then you paid $6 for parking & a family of 4 + a couple friends cost like $200 in tickets. 

its become so ridiculously expensive. Like you, I’d rather have a dozen people over to my house for a BBQ. 

huthut said:
Pretty much

Live in Rocklin (20 minutes east of Sacramento). Going to a 49er game for me is an all day event, costing $700 plus for 2 tickets and the other costs of going to the game. Like you, I prefer to watch multiple games during the day and have my sons and/or friends over, BBQ, drink beer that’s not $12 a bottle and then not have to take the 4 hour trip home afterward.  Bought a new 82 inch TV for the season so just no reason to venture out for me.  

I go to 4-5 baseball games a year when the Giants aren’t sucking, but baseball is a better live game IMO than football.  More casual and the fans aren’t drunken idiots for the most part. Plus, getting to ATT is a breeze and getting out is easy too, and there are places to go have food and beer (Carmen’s is awesome) right next to the stadium that have normal prices.  Fun to grab a burger and a couple beers while you watch the crowd walk in.  

Putting the stadium in Santa Clara was not a brilliant move  

Well that was ugly and sloppy, but another W in the win column. Id rather have an ugly game today than next week against the Panthers who are coming off a bye and riding a 4 game win streak.

That was as wet as Ive ever seen a field today. For a while I thought the final score might be 3-0, lol. Loved Bosa's slip and slide sack celebration to seal the game :thumbup:

Also, Julian Taylor had a couple of nice plays today, I dont remember seeing him play at all this season before today.

Only if they cn get someone ON THE CHEAP. Otherwise, stand pat with what we have.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129555-49ers-aggressively-pursuing-potential-trade-options-receiver-report/

49ers ‘aggressively pursuing’ potential trade options to add receiver, per report

The San Francisco 49ers may be looking to bolster their wide receiver group before the trade deadline on October 29. Team decision-makers are "aggressively pursuing multiple options at wide receiver," according to a report from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

The 49ers are 5-0 and headed into a Week 7 matchup against the Washington Redskins. The team could get back wide receivers Trent Taylor (foot) or Jalen Hurd (back) later this season (or possibly both). Both are eligible to return off of injured reserve. Still, San Francisco is only allowed to bring back a maximum of two players, and bringing in another wide receiver option might allow the team to activate defensive lineman Kentavius Street (knee) or cornerback Jason Verrett (knee) instead.

La Canfora says the 49ers are among "a bevy of teams" that have shown interest in acquiring Cincinnati Bengals receiver A.J. Green. He lists the team's interest in Denver Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders, which was already reported. The Broncos have told inquiring teams that the two-time Pro Bowler is unavailable.

La Canfora also lists Atlanta Falcons receiver Mohamed Sanu, which is interesting because of his connection with head coach Kyle Shanahan.

"A reunion with receiver Mohamed Sanu, who Shanahan coached in Atlanta and is not being featured in the Falcons offense, is quite possible, league sources said," writes La Canfora. "Atlanta is falling out of contention despite a bloated roster, and a coaching change looms."

Other names include Taylor Gabriel of the Chicago Bears and Devante Parker of the Miami Dolphins.

"Things have got to be available without being held ransom," Shanahan said earlier this month regarding the team's interests in trades. "We've got to be able to make smart decisions, and if there was a smart decision out there, we would definitely look into it."

Not sure that our receivers are the real problem. I'd give Garoppolo some slack because he is coming back from  last years injury, but he has not looked good yet this year. When he becomes more than a game manager, the young receivers should start looking better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread