What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The handshake is evolving (1 Viewer)

Shake type

• Traditional

Votes: 47 55.3%
  • Bro (no hug)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 37 43.5%

• Total voters

Ned

Footballguy
I've always been a traditional handshake guy, but I'm noticing more and more that guys are going to the bro handshake (no hug).  It's causing a lot of awkward moments when each of you realize the other is going in for the wrong type of hand shake.

Are you a trad guy, bro guy, or does it depend on who you're shaking with?

I prefer the traditional handshake, and will initiate/extend my hand to avoid any weirdness. But some guys like to act cool and go for the bro shake. I then harshly judge them for trying too hard. I reserve the bro shake & shoulder touch for my black friends; that's just how it is.

read the other person:

Hand down and straight out, regular hand shake

hand upward and cupped, bro shake. 

General rule of thumb IMO, in most professional settings its the regular handshake, unless you are very good friends

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely shake hands out of a professional setting.  My profession (banking) is old and somewhat formal.  Traditional only.  

I hate the bro hug handshake too, but what about the non-hug version?  Like this
No.  That's what I meant by variations.  It's just so confusing.  One person goes in for a handshake and another person is trying to pull me in to hug me.  I already hate the guy who squeezes my hand before I can even start the handshake, therefore he's squeezing just my fingers as hard as he can because he's afraid people will realize his penis is small.  

No.  That's what I meant by variations.  It's just so confusing.  One person goes in for a handshake and another person is trying to pull me in to hug me.  I already hate the guy who squeezes my hand before I can even start the handshake, therefore he's squeezing just my fingers as hard as he can because he's afraid people will realize his penis is small.  
I hate when that happens.  You just "miss" the handshake then it's super awkward.  Then you need a do over so you get the handshake properly "seated". 

Business setting, traditional handshake only, else you look like a rube.  Same goes for anyone you're meeting for the first time. 

With buddies, you can mix it up.
This.

Plus it seems the no-hug broshake seems to be more sports related. Like the picture of Messi and Ronaldo above...

When you do the bro shake/no hug, do you then drop the hand back with the interlocking finger tip shake? And then snap when you release?

There's a lawyer I know who constantly tries to do some weird handshake thing with me.  It's gotten to the point that I now just tell him no when he sticks out his hand.
I figured you lawyer guys would be more like a basketball team and develop a unique shake for each member of your legal team.

I just adjust on the fly. Sometimes an awkward moment can lead to an "Uh ohhhh. Wait...ohhhhh!" And then a mini bro down. 

Bro down? Throw down. Fist bump for the go 'round.
I like the awkward moment. Sometimes I’ll hug guys only, and reserve fist bumps for chicks just to throw everyone off kilter. Or hug everyone in a group except one, who gets a forlorn handshake.

The handshake you use is totally dependent on whose hand you’re shaking.  

President of your company?  Formal, traditional shake.  

Snoop Dogg?  Bro hug.

I never dictate the shake.  I see where the other person is heading with the shake and I go along.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don`t like shaking anyone's hand anymore but I do it if I am at a business function.  With my good friends I give them a bro hug, with people in my golf league a fist bump will suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread