What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the government paid you $750 per homeless person, per day. How many would you house, feed and clothe? (1 Viewer)

How many homeless people in your own home?

• 1-2

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 5-6

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 7-8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9-10

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 11+

Votes: 10 26.3%

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
You guys think this is arguing. It's not. You've spent more time arguing about me arguing, than you have discussing the topic.

It is true for some companies, probably more than not.  Welcome to the world of capitalism.
Now we are getting somewhere. 

Which is why I contested the validity of the poll. How many would do it just for the money. If they are, then we have identified that they are only in it for a profit. Does that mean they will all be satisfied with the same profit? What if one wants 95% profit, while another is okay with 75%? This would be no different from what we are seeing with immigrants. Some would do better than others.  But, in the end, we are human. We all suffer from the same faults.

These polls prove nothing. 

Which is why I contested the validity of the poll. How many would do it just for the money. If they are, then we have identified that they are only in it for a profit. Does that mean they will all be satisfied with the same profit? What if one wants 95% profit, while another is okay with 75%? This would be no different from what we are seeing with immigrants. Some would do better than others.  But, in the end, we are human. We all suffer from the same faults.

Sometimes I feel polls like these make us think about our stances.  It can make us question who we really are and what we stand for.

For $750 it would mostly be for the money.  Being able to help another person would just be a bonus.
Interesting. 

@The Commish stated the opposite. 

Do you think that someone that does it for money, would try to squeeze as much profit out of the situation as possible?
Different things motivate different people.  I'm not sure that's a shock to anyone much less "interesting", but glad I could do my part :thumbup:  

:lmao:

The whole premise of the thread is "what if". The government isn't going to give taxpayers $750 a day to house anyone. 

Make sure you stop in to the other thread and tell @Henry Ford to stop the "what ifs" as well. 
Shouldn’t the question be $6000 per year or so? We have half a million homeless and spend about $3 bn per year, right?

Good Gracious.

I remember my first beer.   Holy scrambled eggs batman

Which is why I sade compassion and greed dont coexist.
Can't someone feel good about helping another person out while also making some money?  I feel good when my business makes a profit and I share those profits with my employees yet I still profit more than they do since I am the owner.

Can't someone feel good about helping another person out while also making some money?  I feel good when my business makes a profit and I share those profits with my employees yet I still profit more than they do since I am the owner.
I don't think so in this case. Otherwise the $750 per day number wouldn't have been part of the original question. We've established that $750 per day is way more than anyone would need to feed, house and take care of an immigrant or homeless person. But, nobody said that they would do it for less. 

You also said that the money is a bonus and a key reason you would do it. 

The real question should be, "how much would it take per day for you to take someone in"?  Would you do it for $1 in profit?  $100 in profit?

The real question should be, "how much would it take per day for you to take someone in"?  Would you do it for $1 in profit?  $100 in profit?
:confused:  

My google shows you created this thread.  If that's what the question should be, then why wasn't that the question?

And I've already told you I do this sort of thing for free from time to time...that's less that $750 a day....a lot less.

I don't think so in this case. Otherwise the $750 per day number wouldn't have been part of the original question. We've established that $750 per day is way more than anyone would need to feed, house and take care of an immigrant or homeless person. But, nobody said that they would do it for less. 

You also said that the money is a bonus and a key reason you would do it. 

Why would I do it for less if I'me being offered $750 a day?  I can be compassionate and not stupid at the same time.  I would do for $500 day or even $400.

My google shows you created this thread.  If that's what the question should be, then why wasn't that the question?

And I've already told you I do this sort of thing for free from time to time...that's less that $750 a day....a lot less.
I've patted you on the back already. 

In case you're really that slow. This thread was created as sarcastic response to the other thread. 

Perhaps I need to start a third thread? 

Lets see... carry the one, yep, my math checks out.  That is significantly less than $750.  It's $750 less to be precise.

Why would I do it for less if I'me being offered $750 a day?  I can be compassionate and not stupid at the same time.  I would do for $500 day or even $400.
But, you're not doing it unless there is a clearly defined profit.

Is that any different from what these companies are doing? Isn't that capitalism? 

But, you're not doing it unless there is a clearly defined profit.

Is that any different from what these companies are doing? Isn't that capitalism? 
It would completely depend on the circumstances for me.  If it was someone I knew that needed help and I knew I could help them out then I would do it for nothing.  If it was a stranger then it would depend on a lot of different things.  This is not a simple yes or no question for me.

I've patted you on the back already. 

In case you're really that slow. This thread was created as sarcastic response to the other thread. 

Perhaps I need to start a third thread? 
Start however many threads you want :shrug:

I'll just say this is a ####### up thing to be sarcastic about...pretty disgusting actually to the point I gave you the benefit of the doubt (though the thought did momentarily cross my mind).  Guess I've learned my lesson.  Hopefully everyone in this thread learned their lesson.  All those choosing to engage you appear to be engaging you in good faith....hopefully they too are paying attention for future consideration.

Start however many threads you want :shrug:

I'll just say this is a ####### up thing to be sarcastic about...pretty disgusting actually to the point I gave you the benefit of the doubt (though the thought did momentarily cross my mind).  Guess I've learned my lesson.  Hopefully everyone in this thread learned their lesson.  All those choosing to engage you appear to be engaging you in good faith....hopefully they too are paying attention for future consideration.
Paying attention to what? I'm having a discussion. You continue to point out that you've helped people for no monetary gain. I acknowledged that. Sorry you can dish it out, but can't take it. The poll and comments clearly show that other people wouldn't do it for free. Get off your high horse and quit making it all about you. 

I tried to say good day earlier. Perhaps we should try that again.   

Have a nice day. 

Paying attention to what? I'm having a discussion. You continue to point out that you've helped people for no monetary gain. I acknowledged that. Sorry you can dish it out, but can't take it. The poll and comments clearly show that other people wouldn't do it for free. Get off your high horse and quit making it all about you. 

I tried to say good day earlier. Perhaps we should try that again.   

Have a nice day. 
That you'd stoop to belittling a topic like this with your sarcastic mockery.  THAT has nothing to do with me, but does seem to be par for the course.  If you ever catch me making light of topics like this, feel free to beat me down over it, I can certainly take it and would expect to be held in check.

That you'd stoop to belittling a topic like this with your sarcastic mockery.  THAT has nothing to do with me, but does seem to be par for the course.  If you ever catch me making light of topics like this, feel free to beat me down over it, I can certainly take it and would expect to be held in check.
Belittling? 

Is that what you call spending $750 a day on immigrants while our own citizens live on the streets? 

Just because I don't beat my chest and act like I'm better than everyone else, doesn't mean I'm belittling. I'm taking my own approach to make people think about the hypocrisy that is this forum and this country. 

Again. Have a nice day. 

I'd do it for the money in both instances, probably tale in 3-4.  Otherwise let the govt setup housing facilities and support programs using my tax dollars.   I'm good with either.

For $750 it would mostly be for the money.  Being able to help another person would just be a bonus.

Belittling? 

Is that what you call spending $750 a day on immigrants while our own citizens live on the streets? 

Just because I don't beat my chest and act like I'm better than everyone else, doesn't mean I'm belittling. I'm taking my own approach to make people think about the hypocrisy that is this forum and this country. 

Again. Have a nice day. 
The only other people dumb enough to engage directly in this exercise besides me had two different answers.  Did dutch say he wouldn't support illegal immigrants in his home?  Did Hawkeye say he would do it for free in the other thread?  That's what would be required on your quest to be the documenter of all things hypocritical.  If they answered the same in both and I answered the same in both you're going to have to try a different approach to root out all the hypocrites.  They aren't biting.  Clearly, they are smarter than the three of us who actually engaged in this farce.

The only other people dumb enough to engage directly in this exercise besides me had two different answers.  Did dutch say he wouldn't support illegal immigrants in his home?  Did Hawkeye say he would do it for free in the other thread?  That's what would be required on your quest to be the documenter of all things hypocritical.  If they answered the same in both and I answered the same in both you're going to have to try a different approach to root out all the hypocrites.  They aren't biting.  Clearly, they are smarter than the three of us who actually engaged in this farce.
Still having a nice day?

We can assume the people that voted yes (any number other than zero), are only doing so because of the $750 per day.

Otherwise, they would have done it already.

My brother-in-law invited a homeless guy off the streets and gave him a place to live to get back on his feet.   That guy stabbed my brother-in-law in the heart with a steak knife a few months later and murdered him.  

So for me, 0.   

My brother-in-law invited a homeless guy off the streets and gave him a place to live to get back on his feet.   That guy stabbed my brother-in-law in the heart with a steak knife a few months later and murdered him.  

So for me, 0.   
Sorry for your loss. Sucks to lose your life helping other people. I'd like to think that earns him some extra points in the afterlife.

-fish- said:

So for me, 0.   
Many homeless people can't keep a job because of mental issues. 

I fully support tax dollars being spent to help with homelessness, but simply giving the tax money to lay people to take them in is a really bad idea, and your story is a good example of why. 

And it's really a #### move for someone to use this topic as a form of sarcasm. In my opinion, our country's lack of willingness to do something in this area is a serious black eye we suffer from. 

Ut oh. Now youve stepped in it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I fully support tax dollars being spent to help with homelessness, but simply giving the tax money to lay people to take them in is a really bad idea, and your story is a good example of why. 

And it's really a #### move for someone to use this topic as a form of sarcasm. In my opinion, our country's lack of willingness to do something in this area is a serious black eye we suffer from. 
This is 100% untrue.  Many homeless people are just down on their luck.  If we give them free homes, they will pull themselves up by the bootstraps and become productive members of society.  You must not be paying attention

Last edited by a moderator:

How is this doing any damage to the issue of homelessness? 

Before I started this thread, there was one other thread about homelessness? How many immigrant threads are there?

I think you're just looking for a reason to be angry (and angry at me). Isn't that taking away from the seriousness of this issue as well?

Hypocrisy strikes again. 

let's flip this question around: suppose I'm paying someone $750 a day to house kids.  What level of service would you expect?  Should toothbrushes be included?  how about blankets?

let's flip this question around: suppose I'm paying someone $750 a day to house kids.  What level of service would you expect?  Should toothbrushes be included?  how about blankets?
I don't think it matters how you propose the question. Be it adults, kids, homeless, immigrants. Most of us don't require $750 a day to live safe, comfortable lives.

My bigger concern is how we decide who gets this $750 per day and is there a better way to use the money that would help more people. (including our own population). I hear over and over how people from Central America are fleeing their countries because of the destabilization caused by the U.S. Government. What about the problems the government has caused to people in this country? Don't those people deserve the same level of help? Especially since it's their tax money that's footing the bill.  

I don't think it matters how you propose the question. Be it adults, kids, homeless, immigrants. Most of us don't require $750 a day to live safe, comfortable lives.
that doesn't seem to be your question.  Based on your earlier comments, it seems like you are treating this as a pure business decision. 

If I'm going to sign up to house homeless kids and given $750/day to do it, I need to know what level of comfort, service, medical care, clothing, education, etc are expected.  How can I possibly know if $750/day is reasonable to meet expectations if you won't state what those expectations are?  If you won't clearly define what you expect, I'm going to have to vote 0.

that doesn't seem to be your question.  Based on your earlier comments, it seems like you are treating this as a pure business decision. 

If I'm going to sign up to house homeless kids and given $750/day to do it, I need to know what level of comfort, service, medical care, clothing, education, etc are expected.  How can I possibly know if $750/day is reasonable to meet expectations if you won't state what those expectations are?  If you won't clearly define what you expect, I'm going to have to vote 0.
I would expect you to pose the same question to Henry in his thread. 

But, we all know that won't and hasn't happened. (you could have copied and pasted)  Why? 

We know that the private companies that house immigrants make their choices based on profit. We also don't know what they are required to supply. We just assume that basic things like a bed, meals, and a toothbrush are normal amenities that every person in this county should have.  It's a business, and not a non profit. At least the government is paying someone, to do something, for immigrants. While it's own people suffer in the streets without a bed, meals or toothbrushes. 

But, to play along with your game, I posed the same "what ifs" to posters here in regards to things like medical care. I even asked who carries the responsibility in regards to security and crimes against other people. (perhaps other homeless people that they are housing).  That was called a stupid what if. 

Ultimately, this thread serves as a reminder of how hypocritical many of the posters in this thread have become. The group will argue both sides of the topic in the same thread, but would never dare call out someone from their own clique. It's only certain posters that get that attention.

It's getting so I can set my watch by it. 

Spit out the hook GB.  There have been four people who have attempted to engage him honestly in this thread.  Three of them haven't even posted in the other thread, but they are somehow hypocrites.  The four answered the same way in both threads and oddly enough is still a hypocrite.  Just let him go...he's on a quest to validate some preconceived notion, reality be damned.

I would expect you to pose the same question to Henry in his thread. 

But, we all know that won't and hasn't happened. (you could have copied and pasted)  Why? 
because I don't read every thread.  I'm trying to be very direct here (if you insist I will pose the same question in another thread):

what standard of care am I expected to provide for $750/day?

Spit out the hook GB.  There have been four people who have attempted to engage him honestly in this thread.  Three of them haven't even posted in the other thread, but they are somehow hypocrites.  The four answered the same way in both threads and oddly enough is still a hypocrite.  Just let him go...he's on a quest to validate some preconceived notion, reality be damned. 
meh, you are probably right.  Let's see if he can answer one simple, basic question germane to the OP. 

I haven't even gotten to the part where greed and compassion can't coexist BS.

Users who are viewing this thread