Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Which items do you prefer the low-end form of?

6 hours ago, Gally said:

Wine.  I have no idea what I am doing with regards to wine so as long as I like the taste I really don't care if it is the cheap stuff.  You could give me a blind taste test and I probably pick out the low end stuff every time. 

There have been quite a few blind taste test experiments done over the years and virtually all of them have shown that even supposed wine snobs don't show any preference to more expensive wines when they don't know the origin. Price and packaging play a huge role in how most people experience a wine. Take it away and cheap wines rate basically the same as more expensive ones.

• Like 2

Golf. Now that I don't play frequently anymore I have a shot to break 80 on cheap courses but may not break 100 on a more challenging track. Also have more of those blue collar people vs those houtie toutie snobs referenced earlier. 

8 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Scott 1000 toilet paper.

It lasts so much longer than the fancy Charmin brands.  

Plus, it has that little extra grit that is needed sometimes during the tough times. Expensive toilet paper is such a scam. Soft and pillowy isn't what you need in your darkest hour. Love the commercial cheap stuff.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Barbasol shaving cream. Single blade disposable razors, generic store brand is fine. Dove soap.

i have sensitive skin and used to get razor burn with the fancy quadruple blade razors, shaving gels, and after shave lotions/creams but this regimen has worked wonders for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

There have been quite a few blind taste test experiments done over the years and virtually all of them have shown that even supposed wine snobs don't show any preference to more expensive wines when they don't know the origin. Price and packaging play a huge role in how most people experience a wine. Take it away and cheap wines rate basically the same as more expensive ones.

My wife and I mistakenly ordered wine out at a restaurant a few months back that was $40/glass. We thought we getting a bottle for $40.

A good laugh was had by all but honestly....

That wine was ####### magical.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

Plus, it has that little extra grit that is needed sometimes during the tough times. Expensive toilet paper is such a scam. Soft and pillowy isn't what you need in your darkest hour. Love the commercial cheap stuff.

Sorry, but life is already hard enough.  No reason to use sandpaper on your ###.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Gary Coal Man said:

I’m middle-aged and still waiting to find this mythic great slaw.

My girlfriend makes the greatest slaw in the world. I can't even enjoy other coleslaws anymore. 

16 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I'm a beer snob now, but on a hot summer day doing yard work, I'll go Coors Light as long as it's ice cold.  

Industrial pilsner is an acceptable substitute when you feel like a glass of water #beersnobsunite

Vodka.    Not talking totally low end like Burnetts but I can`t tell the difference between Grey Goose, Ketel one, Tito`s against Smirnoff which is much cheaper.  Neither can my vodka snob friends as we have blind taste tests for fun.

2 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Vodka.    Not talking totally low end like Burnetts but I can`t tell the difference between Grey Goose, Ketel one, Tito`s against Smirnoff which is much cheaper.  Neither can my vodka snob friends as we have blind taste tests for fun.

This goes double if someone is mixing it instead of shots. Sobieski is a good cheap brand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I will buy knockoff Dr. Pepper or Diet Mt. Dew on name alone (but I honestly do prefer the Kroger Brand, Diet Citrus Drop).

Dr. Thunder, Dr. K, Dr. M

Citrus Drop, Mountain Lightning, Rocky Mist, MooShine

16 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Golf. Now that I don't play frequently anymore I have a shot to break 80 on cheap courses but may not break 100 on a more challenging track. Also have more of those blue collar people vs those houtie toutie snobs referenced earlier. 

I used to be like this, but I found that I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars so that I don't have to play behind 4 guys in jeans and wifebeaters who scream obscenities after every shot and spend 10 minutes on every hole scavenging for free balls.

33 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

you haven't properly dumpster dived Vodka 'til you've swigged from a plastic jug of Barton's :X

HTH

2 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

you haven't properly dumpster dived Vodka 'til you've swigged from a plastic jug of Barton's :X

HTH

waybackwhen, i converted a gay girl for a short period of time and that ended up w us having a couple 3somes w her friends. one of em was this fugly biker chick. thing is, this gal had taught me more about how to cook in her few evenings over than i'd learned anywhere else, so i would be calling her to ask about this foody thing or that past the time i was dating her pal and i guess that kept me in the loop. so on Sunday mornings every few months i'd hear a monstrous hog roll down my cul de sac and it was this chick w a half gallon of Barton's vodka on her handlebars for to freakydeak & cookynook the day away w your humble servant. i could never believe someone w such a clever palate would prefer drinking babushka sweat to the real thing. the idea of her swiggin' it out of a plastic gallon milk bottle would perfect the memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

Blue jeans. The $15 pair from Academy sporting goods for me.

Pro tip: you want high end jeans, at low low prices? Thrift store! I prefer Am Vets, as they always seem to have a better selection. Just have to be willing to put the effort in for an hour or so. Usually worth it.

35 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

waybackwhen, i converted a gay girl for a short period of time and that ended up w us having a couple 3somes w her friends. one of em was this fugly biker chick. thing is, this gal had taught me more about how to cook in her few evenings over than i'd learned anywhere else, so i would be calling her to ask about this foody thing or that past the time i was dating her pal and i guess that kept me in the loop. so on Sunday mornings every few months i'd hear a monstrous hog roll down my cul de sac and it was this chick w a half gallon of Barton's vodka on her handlebars for to freakydeak & cookynook the day away w your humble servant. i could never believe someone w such a clever palate would prefer drinking babushka sweat to the real thing. the idea of her swiggin' it out of a plastic gallon milk bottle would perfect the memory.

:lol: & :wub: & :suds:

met a wee Polack kid at my first ever job (freight receiver at Gimbel's warehouse/dist. center) ... toughest lil' mofo you'd ever not wanna encounter - all of 5'5" 130 lbs soaking wet after a 20 courseT"giving dinner. 

and his sustenance was Barton's - straight up out the plastic ... never cut with any frou frou juice or mixers ... hell, to him ice was much to "twee" (word i wanna use is Brit slang for cigarette, ya dig?)

mean, surly pr1ck - would never back down ... and it was never just bark, i saw him mix it up with the bruthas in the ol' Pavonia ave jail - he took a ton of lumps, but that kid always got the #### up. 

last i saw him was after my last DUI pop - he was in for clocking his brother with an axe ("that Brit slang for cigarette called the ####### man!!!1!1!!! we just had an argument, is all!!1!").

he was a regular ... the feeder came around, and was all like "ok, Stosh ... got yer topps and yer pops" (he slipped mah man a 5th of the Barton's) - life was good for him at that moment. 

R.I.P.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Hoo baby. Aside from the fighting, I can relate to those Polacks with big handles of warm vodka with them. That's the last trick of the alcoholic. "No, man. I just put it in a water bottle and nobody notices!" Yeah, fella, right. 

Anyway, here's some vodka spilled for my brother-in-ethnicity, Stosh. R.I.P. indeed.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

What are you doing on Saturday? How about you come over and mow my lawn.

Seems a lot of people aren't understanding the "price is no object" premise.

That said, give me miller lite or PBR in 90+% of situations over anything else.  It's not the cheapest beer, but definitely has to be considered low end.

I can get behind the hot McDonalds fries movement also.  

Not always, but there are days I have preferred some White Castle burgers over any other burgers I ever had.  

Give me a cheesy horror flick over some artsy fartsy crap that always seems to get nominated for 10 awards.  

I can get behind playing low end golf courses over nice courses.  Not all the time but at least half the time.

22 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Mexican food.  Not Taco Bell level but I have found that the food at an inexpensive Mexican restaurant is usually as good or better than high-end Mexican restaurants.

I agree 100 percent. I live in Phoenix and always compare other cities’ Mexican food to Filiberto’s, not the fancy places.

Here’s my theory on why this is the case:

1. Fancy places have way more overhead so they don’t use the best ingredients.

2. Fancy places have to make the food look like a “dinner,” so they dress things up with stuff that sucks. All a good taco needs is a good corn tortilla, some grilled shrimp, a touch of cabbage, and a touch of salsa. That’s it. 

They also have to add a bunch of dumb stuff to the menu to provide for everyone at the table, not just the people who just want a taco.

3. It’s easier for the little places to find a coupe illegals to cook for them. Big places have to jump through too many hoops and sometimes end up with whitey in the kitchen 😮 

4. Basically, small places keep it simple, which is what Mexican food should be. Big places over complicate it mess it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I agree with all of the above on taco places. Especially about no whitey in the kitchen. Give me that old Mexican lady cook that can roll burritos in her sleep.

And i guar-on-dam-tee that at least half of y'all have not had a tamale as good as the guys useta sell of their wives' wares on Albq buses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

That's beautiful man.  :teardrop:

On 7/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, MAC_32 said:

KFC Cole Slaw. 

When slaw is done right it's great, but 90% do slaw wrong. KFC doesn't do it great, but since they do it better than 90% I'll take the single rather than swinging for the fences knowing I'll probably just strike out. 

Having written that I spose you could say single Mac felt the same about the below.

Giant Eagle cole slaw is the bomb