What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathan Taylor, IND (1 Viewer)

Why? Did you watch that TD? Very few backs would have reached the end zone after being stopped like that. Henry would have just fallen down. 
Yes I saw it, that's why I asked- it was a nice job of making the safety miss but nothing like he described.

Stopped like what? Again, he avoided the tackler.

Yes I saw it, that's why I asked- it was a nice job of making the safety miss but nothing like he described.

Stopped like what? Again, he avoided the tackler.
This is accurate. He cut by the safety and then bounced off his own lineman who was shoving a D Lineman out of the way. Maybe other dude thought that was Taylor shedding the lineman. It wasn’t.

He looks like a grinder to me.  Seems like a good long-term low RB1 type who grinds away in the low 4ypc range for his career.  I'm not sure I see the dynamic playmaker some people were hoping for but you could do a lot worse than a 21 year old lead back that runs hard and gets goaline carries and some receptions.

He looks like a grinder to me.  Seems like a good long-term low RB1 type who grinds away in the low 4ypc range for his career.  I'm not sure I see the dynamic playmaker some people were hoping for but you could do a lot worse than a 21 year old lead back that runs hard and gets goaline carries and some receptions.
I don’t think I agree here. He looked pretty explosive on his very first touch where he caught a short pass, burst into the open field and was in the process of shedding 2 tacklers to score before a 3rd guy got there to finish him off. He juked a guy out of his shoes week 2 against the Vikings. A couple plays where he looked more dynamic than a what I’d call a grinder. I do think he’s still figuring out the patience/vision required at this level- that he can’t just burst through where he thinks the hole will be.

My concern about Taylor is his usage may vary by game plan, or game script.  He doesn’t catch many passes - Hines gets those.  He also splits carries with Hines and Wilkins.  The positive is he’s taking advantage of the goal line carries.  I’m thinking of starting Mike Davis instead this week since Chicago will be his toughest matchup yet and it’s still unclear how many of the carries he will get each week.  

Reminds me of Stephen Davis.  

still waiting for the long/ busted 30+ yard run ...... 4-5 catches weekly would be nice as well

all in all I'm happy to have drafted him/ have him on my team - no doubt weekly starter

.... reminds me a little of peak Barry Foster

Reminds me of Stephen Davis.  
Ahhh Stephen Davis. I still fondly remember the year I drafted him in about the 7th round. The owner in the spot ahead of me took the Washington RB he thought was the starter, and I took Davis with the very next pick. He was like "Why? Who?".  Davis had a great TD year.

My concern about Taylor is his usage may vary by game plan, or game script.
Isn't think also true of every other player in the league?

He doesn’t catch many passes - Hines gets those.
There are 10 RB who have more receptions than Taylor has right now. One of those is on his team. Taylor has caught all 9 of his targets so far.

He also splits carries with Hines and Wilkins.
In games that are blow outs sure. It is clear that Taylor is their main RB though as you see from his numbers week 2 vs the Vikings. Week 3 they were able to rest Taylor with the game in hand.

The positive is he’s taking advantage of the goal line carries.  I’m thinking of starting Mike Davis instead this week since Chicago will be his toughest matchup yet and it’s still unclear how many of the carries he will get each week.  
Mike Davis has 8 receptions in back to back weeks in place of CMC but no bones about who is the better RB between the two in my opinion.

You seem to think Taylor is just a guy or something and that is way off.

I am surprised how tepid things are in here. 21 year old RB on a meh offense and a 1400 yard, 11 TD and 48 catch pace. 
That's part of the reason IMO- this wasn't supposed to be a "meh" offense, it was supposed to be a very good one with a dominant O-line and it just hasn't clicked yet. Another part is the receptions- after getting 6 for 67 yards in the opener (when Mack played some) to only have 3 for 12 yards in the next 2 games is pretty disappointing. It isn't realistic to expect 6 catches every game, but 3-4 seems reasonable and would raise his floor quite a bit. The lack of long runs is yet another slight concern.

That said, it's early and last week in particular was an anomaly with 2 defensive TDs and a safety. I'm in the camp of slightly disappointed with the last two weeks but not wavering at all on his long term outlook, still love him. I expect a couple of monster games in the very near future- Bears, Browns, Bengals, Lions up next 🤤.

That's part of the reason IMO- this wasn't supposed to be a "meh" offense, it was supposed to be a very good one with a dominant O-line and it just hasn't clicked yet. Another part is the receptions- after getting 6 for 67 yards in the opener (when Mack played some) to only have 3 for 12 yards in the next 2 games is pretty disappointing. It isn't realistic to expect 6 catches every game, but 3-4 seems reasonable and would raise his floor quite a bit. The lack of long runs is yet another slight concern.

That said, it's early and last week in particular was an anomaly with 2 defensive TDs and a safety. I'm in the camp of slightly disappointed with the last two weeks but not wavering at all on his long term outlook, still love him. I expect a couple of monster games in the very near future- Bears, Browns, Bengals, Lions up next 🤤.
The line hasn’t fully gelled and they have been really unlucky with injuries to their pass catchers. That’s hard to predict but it could also mean Taylor gets more touches moving forward. 

I like Taylor a lot but agree with the viewpoint (as @FreeBaGeL writes above) that he may project more as a lower end RB1, which is still valuable. This is coming from a ppr perspective though. If he gets a surprising number of receptions then that obviously boosts his value. If not, then we’re left w the question of whether he’s truly an elite runner (e.g. a guy like Chubb who can still produce wo receptions because he has enough juice). 

There’s also the question of long term outlook. I trust this staff/front office a lot so think he’ll most likely be in a position to succeed. But Rivers is already declining (or declined) and the QB situation in unclear after him. Plus offensive lines vary year to year so it’s tough to say if they could weather a QB transition by being dominant up front. 

My concern about Taylor is his usage may vary by game plan, or game script.  He doesn’t catch many passes - Hines gets those.  He also splits carries with Hines and Wilkins.  The positive is he’s taking advantage of the goal line carries.  I’m thinking of starting Mike Davis instead this week since Chicago will be his toughest matchup yet and it’s still unclear how many of the carries he will get each week.  
Just what I thought - a big mess guessing his touches each week.  It’s a three headed monster backfield.  Glad I took the guaranteed volume and went Davis this week.  

stud in waiting.  buy low.
Based on what? He's averaging less than 4 yds per carry, zero involvement in any hurry up offensive series or 2-minute drill and no involvement in the passing game. I want to believe as a hometown fan, but not seeing it. Maybe he needs time, idk, but seems more of a role player than a stud. 

My God he’s 4 games into his career. What is wrong with you people.
Because its normal for "stud" college running backs to have minimal problems....especially when stepping into  a situation where the offensive line is one of the better units in the NFL.

Because its normal for "stud" college running backs to have minimal problems....especially when stepping into  a situation where the offensive line is one of the better units in the NFL.
Some do. Some don’t. I’d give it more than 4 games personally.

Yeah....world beaters they are.   lol
Your statement about typical WI RBs is simplistic analysis. At one time WI RBs were successful simply because WI just pounded the ball straight ahead behind great offensive lines. That is no longer the case. Jonathan Taylor brings a lot more to the table than just pounding the ball

Some do. Some don’t. I’d give it more than 4 games personally.
This dribble is going to continue forever. He will never be good enough for some people and idk why people are invested in his failure. It’s like CEH fans vs Taylor fans, except both can, and will, be very good RBs. 

Taylor was the victim of coaching today. They let Hines or Wilkins get tackled for 3 yard losses instead of  putting Taylor in. It was frustrating but I imagine he will acclimate to the NFL more and be the go to guy soon enough. He has the talent 

This dribble is going to continue forever. He will never be good enough for some people and idk why people are invested in his failure. It’s like CEH fans vs Taylor fans, except both can, and will, be very good RBs. 

Taylor was the victim of coaching today. They let Hines or Wilkins get tackled for 3 yard losses instead of  putting Taylor in. It was frustrating but I imagine he will acclimate to the NFL more and be the go to guy soon enough. He has the talent 
No investment in it.   As a Wisconsin fan, I'm just used to seeing it.  😁

He’s still averaged 20 touches a game since taking over. Tiny sample size obviously. Maybe the 28 vs Minny was the outlier. Maybe 14 vs the Jets was. He did miss a lot of the 4th qtr in that one due to a blowout. He had 18 today. Admittedly Wilkins was far more involved today than I expected.

The confusing part to me is the usage. Week 1, totally understandable- they have a vet RB in front, no pre-season, etc. Then the vet gets hurt, he's immediately anointed the starter, and game 2 they ride him for 26 carries and 2 receptions. Everything looking like it's coming up roses. Then, for no apparent reason, they stop using him as a workhorse and give him less than half of the RB touches in weeks 3 and 4.

Doesn't make any sense- did he screw up an assignment and get Rivers blown up or something?

Agreed. I think the talent is there. The opportunity seems to be lacking for now. The question is whether that changes. Hines and Wilkins did nothing today.

Then you've been spending too much time in the student section at Camp Randall since the days of Ron Dayne
Lol...that may be true, but if you think that Wisco running backs have lived up to their hype, you are the one drinking the booze with those students.

Today I think they knew they could just run out the clock because the Bears couldn't score. Also the pass rush was getting to Rivers and he looked pretty bad. No need to slam Taylor into the line 20 times.

Lol...that may be true, but if you think that Wisco running backs have lived up to their hype, you are the one drinking the booze with those students.
Wait, wat? WI students are drinking booze?

Gordon has carved out a pretty nice career. James White as well. Not ready to write off JT after 4 games. 

Today I think they knew they could just run out the clock because the Bears couldn't score. Also the pass rush was getting to Rivers and he looked pretty bad. No need to slam Taylor into the line 20 times.
7 of his 17 carries came in the 4th qtr. after they had the game well in hand so that doesn't seem to be it. Having only 10 carries in the first 3 qtrs. vs 13 for Hines and Wilkins is what is baffling, especially when they were doing nothing with theirs.

7 of his 17 carries came in the 4th qtr. after they had the game well in hand so that doesn't seem to be it. Having only 10 carries in the first 3 qtrs. vs 13 for Hines and Wilkins is what is baffling, especially when they were doing nothing with theirs.
It's a long season and they're 3-1.  Look at Ekeler and Chubb today.  

Jonathan Taylor rushed 17 times for 68 yards in the Colts' Week 4 win over the Bears.

He caught his lone target for 11 yards in the passing game. Taylor handled 17 of the Colts' 35 carries, with Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins each getting nine apiece. It snapped Taylor's two-game touchdown streak. He's still seeing heavy volume and should be a back-end RB1 most weeks and gets a road date against the Browns in Week 5. The Colts want to operate their offense through Taylor.

Oct 4, 2020, 7:51 PM ET

It's a long season and they're 3-1.  Look at Ekeler and Chubb today.  
And? Just saying that it certainly doesn't seem like they wanted to "rest" him because it was an easy win considering they used him much more once the game was in the bag.

Ekeler got hurt on his 3rd touch and Chubb on his 6th, they can't "protect" them. Besides, how do you explain the usage in week 2?

Users who are viewing this thread