What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Burrow, CIN (2 Viewers)

An unnamed NFL scout told ESPN at last week's Senior Bowl that LSU QB Joe Burrow was the only franchise quarterback in this year's draft class.

Burrow (6'4/216) is coming off of one of the best seasons in college football history, as he threw 60 touchdown passes and led LSU to a 15-0 record and a national title. Of course the big question that some have is how much did the arrival of Joe Brady (who's now with the Carolina Panthers) have to do with the significant jump in Burrow's productivity. He's projected to be taken by Cincinnati with the first pick in this spring's draft as the franchise appears ready to move on from Andy Dalton. "I don't think there are any franchise guys in this draft except Burrow," the scout told ESPN.com. "But I'd like him even better if they had hired [Brady] in Cincinnati. That's what I would've done. Instead they're going to teach him a whole new offense and hope that it's a good fit."

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 28, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

LSU QB Joe Burrow was named winner of the 2019 Manning Award.

Unlike the Heisman and other honors bestowed in December, the Manning Award takes into account postseason play. Burrow (6'4/216) was transcendent throughout the season and in both of LSU's Playoff games. Versus Oklahoma and Clemson, the gunslinger threw for a combined 956 yards with a 12/0 TD/INT ratio, putting the cap on arguably the greatest single season in college football history.

SOURCE: Brett McMurphy on Twitter

Jan 29, 2020, 11:15 AM ET

IF Burrow is a franchise QB, Cincinnati has a great chance of screwing that up. 
QBs are so hard to judge at the NFL level.  So many parameters are in effect.  You have to look at OL, scheme, coach, GM, and surrounding players, etc.  This is why so many NFL teams fail in the draft.  Just look at all the first rd busts at QB.   A team drafts a guy in the first round, or worse, #1 overall,  and thrusts him into the starting lineup when they are pressured to do so, then that QB's confidence is shot and he fails.  I remember when the Colts took Peyton Manning in 1998 and he had over 3700 yards and 26 TDs as a rookie, but he also had 28 ints as a rookie  ....but...he had a GM (Polian) that built a good team around him.  Not all teams do this with so called can't miss QBs.  I'm sorry to say but team stability and smarts at the upper level of team management matters.  Hopefully a GM does everything in his power to make that 1st rd QB succeed, by surrounding him with the talent he needs to succeed.  That just doesn't happen often enough because the GM doesn't have it between the ears and too often than not, that QB drafted in the first round is shot before he has a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyU said:
QBs are so hard to judge at the NFL level.  So many parameters are in effect.  You have to look at OL, scheme, coach, GM, and surrounding players, etc.  This is why so many NFL teams fail in the draft.  Just look at all the first rd busts at QB.   A team drafts a guy in the first round, or worse, #1 overall,  and thrusts him into the starting lineup when they are pressured to do I'm sorry to say but team stability and smarts at the upper level of team management matters.  Hopefully a GM does everything in his power to make that 1st rd QB succeed, by surrounding him with the talent he needs to succeed.  That just doesn't happen often enough because the GM doesn't have it between the ears and too often than not, that QB drafted in the first round is shot before he has a chance.
Great post. It's why I hate it when people rag all over individual players instead of looking at the big picture. That guy might have been something if a different team had drafted him.

"Tua ... I would argue he's better than Joe Burrow. When he's right, he's Drew Brees from the left side."

"It would be a huge mistake," McShay replied. "I think that he proved this year that he's the best quarterback in the country. Now, if (Alabama quarterback) Tua (Tagovailoa) is 100 percent healthy - and there's no way at this point, looking at the medical and talking to all of the doctors I talked to at the Senior Bowl, there's no way we're gonna know what he's gonna be in terms of the long-term and the short-term future for Tua. But if he were to be healthy, I think we would have a great debate here...."

He's not really contradicting himself in those two articles/quotes.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that LSU QB Joe Burrow "plays with the fiery intensity of Philip Rivers."

Brugler writes that "much of [Burrow's] success comes from channeling his competitive juices in a focused, motivational manner," later referring to the 6-foot-4, 216-pound Heisman winner as the "ultimate competitor." Brugler, no surprise, ranks Burrow as his No. 1 quarterback prospect for April's draft, viewing the LSU gunslinger as an immediate plug-and-play starter. Barring something completely unforeseen, Burrow is just about a lock to be drafted by the Bengals with the No. 1 overall pick this spring.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 6, 2020, 11:12 AM ET

LSU QB Joe Burrow's 2019 season is Pro Football Focus' highest-graded single season since the company began grading college quarterbacks in 2014.

It's not exactly a surprise that Burrow's 2019 season is the best in PFF's database, but it's nice to hear the grading and film matches the hype and box scores. Burrow's 2019 season edges out seasons such as 2018 Kyler Murray and 2017 Baker Mayfield, per PFF's grading. Again, this doesn't tell us anything new about Burrow, but there is never such a thing as too much evidence to support a player's greatness.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Feb 16, 2020, 1:23 PM ET

Burrow could conceivably sit out a year and re-enter the draft next year, but his draft situation wouldn't likely improve.  There's always a chance that a good team lucks into a top pick, but it isn't likely.

ETA - He just needs to keep his head on a swivel and stay healthy until he can get the hell out of Cincinnati.  That's kind of hard to do though, as a lot of people have tried and failed (the entire population of Cincinnati to be exact)

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

By popular demand: Joe Burrow has 9-inch hands.

8:11 AM · Feb 24, 2020 from Indianapolis, IN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

LINK

Thanks to all the fake controversy from certain national media, Burrow came out today and said he would play for the Bengals and wants to be the first pick. I understand why people have stake in creating stories, but less than 1% anything other than Joe Burrow Bengals QB week1 happens. 

Thanks to all the fake controversy from certain national media, Burrow came out today and said he would play for the Bengals and wants to be the first pick. I understand why people have stake in creating stories, but less than 1% anything other than Joe Burrow Bengals QB week1 happens. 

Rotoworld:

LSU QB Joe Burrow said he'll "play with whoever drafts me."

"I'm not going to not play," Burrow emphatically stated at his combine presser. "I’m going to show up. I'll play with whoever drafts me." Burrow also confirmed that he wouldn't throw or workout in Indy. It's an odd juxtaposition after the 23-year-old recently claimed he had "leverage" in the entire process. The Bengals are fully expected to call Burrow's name as the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft despite his arbitrary 9-inch hand size, the smallest measurement among first-round quarterbacks at the combine since 2008.

RELATED: 

Cincinnati Bengals

SOURCE: Adam Beasley on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 9:07 AM ET

According to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com, one Bengals club official said LSU QB Joe Burrow's interview was "the best he ever attended."

It should come as no surprise that Burrow (6'3/221) is crushing interviews, especially with the team assumed to be picking him first overall. Hobson writes that Burrow was engaging throughout, giving back-and-forths to each and every Bengals staffer at the meeting, including HC Zac Taylor. Surely Burrow will draw similar reviews from the other teams he interviews with, but considering it is the Bengals who have all the power in this year's draft, it is especially notable when they seem to be impressed by him.

SOURCE: Cincinnati Bengals

Feb 26, 2020, 4:59 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports that LSU QB Joe Burrow "aced his interview process and handled himself like you'd want a franchise quarterback to" at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Burrow (6'3/221) might not have taken part in athletic testing, but no matter. The interviews were what really mattered to his process and by all accounts, he crushed those. On top of Miller's report, Bengals.com writer Geoff Hobson passed along during the combine week that a club official told him that their check-in with the Heisman winner was the best one he had ever been a part of due to Burrow's force of personality and his engagements with the whole of the Cincinnati staff. Miller refers to Burrow as a "lock" at No. 1. It would probably take something very sudden and unexpected for the Bengals to select anybody other than the LSU star to kick off draft festivities in late April.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 4, 2020, 2:41 PM ET

MORE

LSU QB Joe Burrow appeared in a NERF advertisement alongside a handful of current NFL players, including New England Patriots WR Julian Edelman.

Burrow's ascension into NFL media stardom was only a matter of time. Still a month and a half out from being drafted, Burrow has entered the advertisement game, joining Edelman, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Christian McCaffrey, and Jamal Adams in a "NERF house" ad video. The best part about the video? Burrow is donning an orange bandana that just so happens to match the Cincinnati Bengals' orange. Whether that's happenstance or a funny gag on Burrow's part, one has to imagine the conspiracy theories about it are already rolling.

SOURCE: Julian Edelman on Twitter

Mar 5, 2020, 1:35 PM ET

FOX 19's Jeremy Rauch reports that LSU QB Joe Burrow will attend the NFL Draft.

No real surprise with this one, as Burrow is widely expected to be drafted with the first overall pick by the Bengals come April 23 in Las Vegas. While projected top picks generally do attend the draft, it's not a given every year. In 2018, for instance, Baker Mayfield opted not to take part in festivities, when the Browns ultimately selected the OU gunslinger at the pole position.

SOURCE: Jeremy Rauch on Twitter

Mar 6, 2020, 6:27 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread