What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

H.R.5433 - To require the disclosure of foreign business interests of senior Government officials and their spouses and family members, to require the (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
H.R.5433 - To require the disclosure of foreign business interests of senior Government officials and their spouses and family members, to require the President and Vice President to disclose their tax returns, to prevent political appointees from receiving payments from foreign entities, and for other purposes.

what’s “and for other purposes” mean?  Is that where they slip in other tidbits for various congresspersons to garner their support?

H.R.5433 - To require the disclosure of foreign business interests of senior Government officials and their spouses and family members, to require the President and Vice President to disclose their tax returns, to prevent political appointees from receiving payments from foreign entities, and for other purposes.
Should be changed to "All" instead of just "senior" Government officials.

Should be changed to "All" instead of just "senior" Government officials.
‘All’ would be extremely hard to monitor and enforce. No chance any of this gets passed. The Democrats don’t want it either and are doing it just because they know it will end up in graveyard.

I do believe it’s time to get some of these unwritten laws on the books, but it’s gonna take a 9/11 type corruption scandal to get both sides on board.

monies are given to campaigns from foreign entities right ?

I don't care about the tax returns of other people, I don't. If the IRS and the accounting firms bicker over taxations that's up to them

this whole thing is targeting Trump - nothing more, nothing less

I don't care about the tax returns of other people, I don't. If the IRS and the accounting firms bicker over taxations that's up to them

I think it's illegal to accept donations from foreign entities, and if it isn't, it should be. They have no business trying to interfere in an election.

Maybe you don't care, but generally the public wants to know the sources of income for a Presidential candidate to see if they are beholden to any special interests or foreign entities. 

Trump was the first major party candidate in over 40 years not to release his tax returns (probably because he has something to hide).

https://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2016/sep/28/tammy-baldwin/donald-trump-only-major-party-nominee-40-years-not/

We checked an archive of presidential tax returns maintained by the Tax Analysts, a publisher specializing in tax policy. It shows that going back to 1976, all but one major-party nominee released at least one return.

Only Republican Gerald Ford, who lost to Democrat Jimmy Carter in 1976, did not release returns (he released summary tax data), the archive shows. FactCheck.org also found Ford to be the one exception.

Foreign entities can’t give to campaigns. As for it targeting Trump, wouldn’t it also target Biden? Seems more ‘anti-swamp’ than anything, but I can understand you viewing it as targeting Trump since him and his administration have violated so much of it.

Gee I wonder if this will get vetoed.  
It won't get that far. McConnell will add it to the stack of 250+ bills sent from Congress that he is sitting on, refusing to bring to the floor for a vote (something like 87 of those had bipartisan support according to an interview I saw with David Cicilline last week)

"I'm only vetoing this so the presidents who come after me, all very much failures in comparison to me, won't have to suffer through a witch hunt like I have bigly."
I 100% agree..Couldn't agree more.  I can't stand the democrat's obsession about Trump's tax returns. I think it's a witch hunt and I truly think it IS presidential harassment.   I have been consistent on this topic.

It's not a law or any kind of requirement to become President, therefore he doesn't have to do it.  Too bad.

I thought this board was limited to ONLY facts now.. No opinion, no speculation, no emotion.  You should not be posting things like that if you cant back it up.
Not sure if Trump has commented on this himself since he stopped saying he would show them, but this is the logic that spokesperson's of the WH have applied to this - the american people have decided on this issue. 

Not sure if Trump has commented on this himself since he stopped saying he would show them, but this is the logic that spokesperson's of the WH have applied to this - the american people have decided on this issue. 
What? No one has publicly come out and said he cheated on his taxes.  Quit that

Don't have the clip but it was something to the effect that they aren't important because the voters have decided on this issue. Well, I'm a voter and until I get to see them I'm going to think he's hiding something.

Plenty of people are fine without seeing them so here we are.

I think it's illegal to accept donations from foreign entities, and if it isn't, it should be. They have no business trying to interfere in an election.
yeah, uh huh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Foundation–State_Department_controversy

Everyone knows Trump cheated on these so no need to see them at this point.
if I had to guess, Trump is withholding simply to drive issues like this and then when he DOES have to release his tax returns? Democrats will look like fools again

Trump pays a great big chunk of money for his taxes to be taken care of. I highly doubt there are errors

Don't have the clip but it was something to the effect that they aren't important because the voters have decided on this issue. Well, I'm a voter and until I get to see them I'm going to think he's hiding something.

Plenty of people are fine without seeing them so here we are.
I dont think I understand what youre saying.  Are you saying he cheated on his returns or not?  If yes, please provide proof.

yeah, uh huh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Foundation–State_Department_controversy

if I had to guess, Trump is withholding simply to drive issues like this and then when he DOES have to release his tax returns? Democrats will look like fools again

Trump pays a great big chunk of money for his taxes to be taken care of. I highly doubt there are errors
Did you expect me to go to bat for the democrats? Because that won't happen. As for Trump's tax returns, I believe there are errors as well as outright shady dealings, for a few reasons: First, he isn't that clever; second, he's got a long history of questionable things with his money.

Nobody is accusing Trump of mistakenly cheating on his taxes.  We are accusing him of deliberately cheating on his taxes.  I would imagine it costs a lot of money to get tax preparers to do that for you.

Personal taxes, no, but Cohen has stated the Trump Organization manipulated property values on taxes and loan applications. Not a stretch to say that behavior extends to his personal taxes.

I would like to amend this bill to include immediate impeachment and removal from office any POTUS that suggests nuking hurricanes or any other natural disasters. 

What if this was proposed to go in effect after Trump left office? Would you still be opposed?

The level of resistance and nitpicking to something that should seem agreeable to all is infuriating

Maybe you don't care, but generally the public wants to know the sources of income for a Presidential candidate to see if they are beholden to any special interests or foreign entities. 
lol

nobody believes Bill and Hillary were clean. The Clinton Foundation was the bought and paid for clearly - and most political candidates sell their souls and have decades of promises to keep when they make office

Trump is not a politician, he's not bound that way

IF Trump produces his taxes and he's clean, then what? move on to something else to try and "get him" on right ?

I’d be more interested to see the  tax for 5-10yrs after they leave office
Yes. I don't know what's legally required right now. I believe everyone must report income from lobbying on behalf of foreign countries (and maybe on behalf foreign interests more generally?). Perhaps former politicians should report income from all lobbying efforts whether their clients are foreign or domestic. Maybe they already do; I don't know. Either way, the reports should be made public.

And when a candidate or politician promises not to become a lobbyist after leaving office, that promise should be enforceable.

I’d be more interested to see the  tax for 5-10yrs after they leave office
Why?  Do book deals and huge speaking fees seem unreasonable to you?
Exorbitant speaking fees have always seemed sketchy, IMO. (I'm not saying they should be illegal.)

I previously would have said that book deals were non-sketchy, but Donald Trump Jr. recently found a way to make them sketchy.

lol

nobody believes Bill and Hillary were clean. The Clinton Foundation was the bought and paid for clearly - and most political candidates sell their souls and have decades of promises to keep when they make office

Trump is not a politician, he's not bound that way

IF Trump produces his taxes and he's clean, then what? move on to something else to try and "get him" on right ?
I see a "billionaire" with shady financial history isn't bound by anything. Makes sense.

Because they're overworked, understaffed and government run, which means that any progress is slow going. If they were a car, they could go 0-60 in 2.5 months.
I had an error on my taxes, under 6 figures and they tried to gig me for $10,500 ( I had sold some employee stock)

It took 18 months for them to send me a letter. Luckily I got an accountant, amended my return and actually got $450 BACK 

For billionaires who might owe tens of millions and with Trump's taxes from 2015/16 being asked for ? Yeah, the IRS would be ALL OVER it if IMO

They are not. 

For a reason. Trump's accountants are very good, like any billionaire. 

Users who are viewing this thread