What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (2 Viewers)

DA RAIDERS said:
And what’s with the trade?  Bowden and a 6th for a 4th. Fleeced. 
They drafted Bowden(3.16) and got a 4th for him. He didn't fit their plans.

Mayock and Gruden are moving in the right direction. They cut their losses with Bowden

quickly. Most teams would have him burn a roster spot for 2 years.

Belichick did the same with M Sanu and he gave up a 2nd with no compensation. 

Mayock and Gruden are moving in the right direction. They cut their losses with Bowden

i won't be comparing mayock and gruden to belicheck any time soon.  

i agree that the team is moving in the right direction.  we'll see if they achieve anything similar, to the 'patriot way'.  historically, that's just not the raiders.

and with bowden, i hated the pick as soon as it was made.  proof is in this thread.

i won't be comparing mayock and gruden to belicheck any time soon.  

i agree that the team is moving in the right direction.  we'll see if they achieve anything similar, to the 'patriot way'.  historically, that's just not the raiders.

and with bowden, i hated the pick as soon as it was made.  proof is in this thread.
I though hiring Gruden for $100 mill was a joke and then hiring M Mayock was another joke.

They have proven me wrong. This is the year for D Carr to prove he is their guy.

Bowden "cost" them 1 round in a draft, a lot of bad picks usually cost teams more then that.

I though hiring Gruden for $100 mill was a joke and then hiring M Mayock was another joke.

They have proven me wrong. This is the year for D Carr to prove he is their guy.

Bowden "cost" them 1 round in a draft, a lot of bad picks usually cost teams more then that.
hope you're right.

i'm on record, as a gruden hater.  

the bowden thing, just pisses me off.  because the second they took him, i hated it.  and here we are.   :shrug:  

Anyone remember what players folks in this thread were hoping for at the Bowden pick? Funny if there were LBs in the mix, which we basically just got in the Miami swap. 

PS players

Ateman, Marcell WR 6-4 215 2 Oklahoma State

Bowers, Nick TE 6-4 260 R Penn State

Brown, Jordan DB 6-0 200 1 North Dakota State

Doss, Keelan WR 6-3 215 1 UC Davis

Eberle, Dominik K 6-2 190 R Utah State

Emanuel, Kyle LB 6-3 250 5 North Dakota State

Harper, Madre DB 6-2 190 R Southern Illinois

Jones, Datone DE 6-4 285 7 UCLA

Mabin, Dylan CB 6-1 195 1 Fordham

Magnuson, Erik OL 6-6 300 3 Michigan

Riddick, Theo RB 5-10 197 7 Notre Dame

Seymour, Kamaal T 6-6 310 R Rutgers

Smith, Chris DE 6-1 266 7 Arkansas

White, Javin LB 6-2

PS players

Ateman, Marcell WR 6-4 215 2 Oklahoma State

Bowers, Nick TE 6-4 260 R Penn State

Brown, Jordan DB 6-0 200 1 North Dakota State

Doss, Keelan WR 6-3 215 1 UC Davis

Eberle, Dominik K 6-2 190 R Utah State

Emanuel, Kyle LB 6-3 250 5 North Dakota State

Harper, Madre DB 6-2 190 R Southern Illinois

Jones, Datone DE 6-4 285 7 UCLA

Mabin, Dylan CB 6-1 195 1 Fordham

Magnuson, Erik OL 6-6 300 3 Michigan

Riddick, Theo RB 5-10 197 7 Notre Dame

Seymour, Kamaal T 6-6 310 R Rutgers

Smith, Chris DE 6-1 266 7 Arkansas

White, Javin LB 6-2
Thanks for this.

i know there’s a veteran exception for this year’s practice squad, but seeing a long time vet like Riddick on there is odd.  

I like it. No ego, admit your mistake and move on. Also puts everyone on notice that draft capital alone is not keeping you on the team. Glad we found some suckers to give us something for our trash.

I'll believe it when I see it.

But good to hear.
It always seemed like Key's biggest issue was not getting into the backfield/pocket, but actually completing the play once he arrived.  With no QB contact allowed in camp and no preseason reps, I am hopeful but hesitant as well until we see it in action.

I agree cutting your losses is the best move at this point.  There is a lot more nuance for a rookie TE or DB coming into the NFL in terms of learning to play at a new level or in new ways.  When your main asset as a RB is just pure agility and instinctive running, and that is not shining brightly in camp...there is not a lot of positive narratives moving forward in terms of career prospects.  It is what it is.

I like (trading Bowden). No ego, admit your mistake and move on. Also puts everyone on notice that draft capital alone is not keeping you on the team. Glad we found some suckers to give us something for our trash.
Agree with this. Sounds like the way this thing could have played out they may have ended up cutting him and getting nothing. Maybe they could have salvaged a 6th or a 7th but who knows.

I think there are only 3 obvious wins on the schedule, and looking at the schedule the Raiders are likely starting 1-5. 
Well, I've got em going 1-4 to start before things take a major turn for the better:

Panthers W
Saints L
Pats L
Bills L
Chiefs L
Bucs W
Browns W
Chargers W
Broncos W
Chiefs L
Falcons W
Jets L
Colts W
Chargers W
Dolphins W
Broncos L

9-7

Anybody else?

Well, I've got em going 1-4 to start before things take a major turn for the better:

Panthers W
Saints L
Pats L
Bills L
Chiefs L
Bucs W
Browns W
Chargers W
Broncos W
Chiefs L
Falcons W
Jets L
Colts W
Chargers W
Dolphins W
Broncos L

9-7

Anybody else?

at Panthers - WIN

Saints - WIN

at Patriots - LOSS

Bills - WIN

at Chiefs - LOSS

Buccaneers - WIN

at Browns - LOSS

at Chargers - WIN

Broncos - WIN

Chiefs - LOSS

at Falcons - LOSS

at Jets - WIN

Colts - WIN

Chargers - LOSS

Dolphins - WIN

at Broncos - WIN

10-6

Last edited by a moderator:
at Panthers - WIN

Saints - WIN  Loss

at Patriots - LOSS  Win

Bills - WIN

at Chiefs - LOSS

Buccaneers - WIN Loss

at Browns - LOSS Win

at Chargers - WIN

Broncos - WIN

Chiefs - LOSS

at Falcons - LOSS

at Jets - WIN

Colts - WIN

Chargers - LOSS

Dolphins - WIN

at Broncos - WIN
My tweaks in blue. I end up with the same 10-6 record though. 

FreshiZ said:
This is where I'm at. Cut your losses and pawn off this guy to some other sucker (Dolphins or Bill O'Brien). I have no problem with this move and think it's actually optimal.
Good attitude. Sounds like Gruden recognized the miss during camp. Instead of criticizing, talked up the player then recovered a fourth. Slick!

Las Vegas Review-Journal reporting Mariota not at practice and DeShone Kizer there instead. Not trying to speculate too much, maybe Mariota is dealing with a serious injury setback. Or this is another Gruden/Mayock buyers remorse situation and getting ready to cut ties again quickly with another player?

Las Vegas Review-Journal reporting Mariota not at practice and DeShone Kizer there instead. Not trying to speculate too much, maybe Mariota is dealing with a serious injury setback. Or this is another Gruden/Mayock buyers remorse situation and getting ready to cut ties again quickly with another player?
Cutting Mariota isn't going to happen this year. 

I'm gonna side with the Raiders if they're willing to take a loss on a 3rd pick. Taking a loss is the last thing they want to do. The fact that they did it, shows they're a front office with a vision, standards, self-awareness, and confidence to make the right move for the team. 
It is hard not for anyone to look at this and say we wasted a 3rd round pick. At the very least we could have taken Zack Moss at that point. '

On the other hand, agree with this take and the others who commented that if in the end, you don't see a) a player who is focused and b) a player who isn't living up to expectations, then acting quickly -- and even getting something in return -- is a solid move. 

Gruden and Mayock won't tolerate character issues -- and reports that Bowden was focused on cars and the Vegas nightlife won't cut mustard with the culture we're building. Gruden and Mayock also shouldn't tolerate lack of execution -- reports Bowden was completely lost in pass pro and not contributing shouldn't be tolerated either.

Thinking of it another way, Bowden must have really not been on the ball for this to show up so quickly in camp and the team not think he had a chance to develop. If they saw troubling things that quickly, why wait and waste a spot? They seem to have no problem avoiding sunk cost fallacy and I'm fine with that.

Sucks to not have Bowden work out, but I'd much rather have him gone if he's that distracted and looked that hopeless out there.

Or I forgot that these team threads are where fans of the team collectively delude themselves every year about the team, rather than have an objective discussion. 

Apparently I am an idiot for suggesting Jacobs isn't on Saquons level of talent.   :shrug:

I'll show myself out.  Good luck this year. 
Had nothing to do with your Jacobs comment, rather the Gruden/Mayock BS you dropped.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The Raiders are putting promising rookie LB Tanner Muse on injured reserve because of a toe injury, source said. The plan is for the third-round pick -- who turns 24 today -- to return this season, but he’s likely to miss at least a month.
This is a bummer. Was looking forward to see how he plays.

This year with the new covid rules related to IR handling, I think we will see a LOT more players marked to the IR then in years past.   3 weeks minimum to free up an active roster spot is a no brainer IR move.  In years past, I doubt Tanner lands on the IR, as an example.

Restructured Littleton's deal clearing $8 million in cap this year. Wonder if that means a move is coming...
Only one guy left on the market worthy of a cap figure that would require this. I imagine we'll be seeing a washed up Earl Thomas in black fairly soon. I don't like this move. I think he's a marginal upgrade to Erik Harris at this point on the field, but way worse than that, Thomas seems to be a total cancer in the locker room. This has Chucky written all over it.

LawFitz said:
Only one guy left on the market worthy of a cap figure that would require this. I imagine we'll be seeing a washed up Earl Thomas in black fairly soon. I don't like this move. I think he's a marginal upgrade to Erik Harris at this point on the field, but way worse than that, Thomas seems to be a total cancer in the locker room. This has Chucky written all over it.
I think Earl Thomas is far from washed up, but he does seem to be a horrible locker room guy.  He was still really good on the field last year.  I do also think Erik Harris is very underrated though.

I think Earl Thomas is far from washed up, but he does seem to be a horrible locker room guy.  He was still really good on the field last year.
Gruden (and hopefully Mayock) appear to agree with you. Though, they also seem to be hedging their bets by waiting until next week to sign him?... Assuming it's still true that a vet signed after week 1 doesn't get his salary guaranteed.

I guess I wouldn't mind a one-yr rental here that results in a comp draft pick when he leaves next offseason, combined with the near and long-term financial incentive to be a good soldier.

Perhaps they are freeing up cap to extend Maliek Collins. They've been raving about his all camp, just made him a captain and he's set to be a UFA next year. They got ahead of Waller's contract last season before he fully broke out. Maybe they are looking to do the same here. I'd be more on board for that than Thomas.

Thomas is interesting. I didn't even think that. 

Gruden/Mayock have shown they are willing to swing on talented but problematic players (Waller, Brown) with mixed results. I like Erik Harris but it is more like he plays beyond his talent level. Thomas is more talented but entering in the downward trajectory of his career. The off-field stuff is clearly troubling and from what I read earlier the PLAYERS on the team wanted him out. That worries me more than a coaching staff wanting to get rid of a player. If your mates don't want you around you are really causing issues. 

I found this.... which I didn't previously hear.... when looking something up about Thomas and on his Wiki page... 

On May 6, 2020, it was reported by TMZ that on April 13, Thomas was allegedly held at gunpoint by his wife Nina after finding him and his brother, Seth Thomas, in bed with other women. Nina’s arrest was reported the following day.

:shock:

With Mariotta on IR maybe they are clearing space for a QB.
Who? They have Nathan of whom they restructured his contract to go from un-guaranteed 2.4 or so to a guaranteed bit over a million recently. Not sure why you do that if you are not pretty sure you are good with him being #3. 

But more importantly.... what QB on the market is worth or needs $8 million to sign? None as far as I know. I mean, you should be able to sign anyone right now for about a million. 

Oh and we signed Kizer to the PS too. 

I don't think QB is in the cards. 

Thomas might make sense in as much as money needed to sign him or maybe they just want to be flexible going into the season. 

We shall see. 

BOTH rookie WRs starting in Week 1. Add 2nd year Renfrow plus Waller at TE, and color me excited and optimistic about our young and revamped receivers. 

BOTH rookie WRs starting in Week 1. Add 2nd year Renfrow plus Waller at TE, and color me excited and optimistic about our young and revamped receivers. 
Blessing and curse. I am hoping they all break out and raise each others' game at this level. That's a lot of rooks that need to learn the ropes in a very different offseason, though. Hoping that talent trumps inexperience and we see some fireworks right from the opening start.

And I mean right from the opening start.

As in, first offensive play of the season, PA to Jacobs and send Ruggs down field like a bolt of greased lightning for a 65 yard strike.

Then have our massive, nasty o-line rip a gaping hole in the defensive front for Jacobs to pound it to paydirt.

League on notice.

Blessing and curse. I am hoping they all break out and raise each others' game at this level. That's a lot of rooks that need to learn the ropes in a very different offseason, though. Hoping that talent trumps inexperience and we see some fireworks right from the opening start.

And I mean right from the opening start.

As in, first offensive play of the season, PA to Jacobs and send Ruggs down field like a bolt of greased lightning for a 65 yard strike.

Then have our massive, nasty o-line rip a gaping hole in the defensive front for Jacobs to pound it to paydirt.

League on notice.
Would be nice....but Carr's play action fakes are terrible.

Color me pessimistic, but this has me concerned almost as much as much a rookie with a broken thumb at one CB spot and a 2nd year player at the other. But hey.... Go Raiders!

Perhaps they are freeing up cap to extend Maliek Collins. They've been raving about his all camp, just made him a captain and he's set to be a UFA next year. They got ahead of Waller's contract last season before he fully broke out. Maybe they are looking to do the same here. I'd be more on board for that than Thomas.
Collins is the only player that would really make any sense right now with the current contracts...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/yearly/

Had nothing to do with your Jacobs comment, rather the Gruden/Mayock BS you dropped.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I was referring to the person who did take issue with Jacobs not being as good as Saquon. 

The Raiders signed Devante Booker and say they like the one two punch with he and Jacobs...?

“We liked his size, and we liked the way he hit the hole,” Offensive coordinator Greg Olson said of Booker. We thought he had a little bit more power. We felt like that when we evaluated him in the first place to bring him in here but we like the size and the power that he brings to the position, it gives you a bit of a one-two punch behind Josh and we’ve got obviously Jalen and Theo are more of the third down wide receiver type backs"

Are they trolling with these player evaluation comments?  You like the way Devonte Booker hits the hole? And his power???  :lmao:

Lets see how Gruden and Mayock turn out here... 

I was referring to the person who did take issue with Jacobs not being as good as Saquon. 

The Raiders signed Devante Booker and say they like the one two punch with he and Jacobs...?

“We liked his size, and we liked the way he hit the hole,” Offensive coordinator Greg Olson said of Booker. We thought he had a little bit more power. We felt like that when we evaluated him in the first place to bring him in here but we like the size and the power that he brings to the position, it gives you a bit of a one-two punch behind Josh and we’ve got obviously Jalen and Theo are more of the third down wide receiver type backs"

Are they trolling with these player evaluation comments?  You like the way Devonte Booker hits the hole? And his power???  :lmao:

Lets see how Gruden and Mayock turn out here... 
You said Jacobs is "fine". That says everything about your bias. See ya.

You said Jacobs is "fine". That says everything about your bias. See ya.
Yes... I put those quotes around it because exactly what I meant by that immediately follows that comment.  Clarifying that I meant he is not in the elite RB tier of RBs who are likely to have a long career.  If you're not at that elite level it's hard to be a feature back beyond your rookie deal.   It's not a good idea to take a player like that in the first round unless you're ready to win.  RBs are not really core players.  Maybe in 2000 like the other poster said. 

The Raiders thought they were going to win in 2019 and now again in 2020.  Whiff. 

Users who are viewing this thread