What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (3 Viewers)

A few things I will be particularly interested in today:

How do the rookie WRs look?

Will Jacobs be more involved in the passing game?

The new LB group

The entire secondary

Looking forward to today's game for all of the reasons @ICON211 listed. 

I just came in to say that Tom Flores is a HOF finalist. Hopefully he gets in. The Flores Years were MY years as a mid-teens, new Raiders fan in NYC.  2 Super Bowl wins and, hopefully, a HOF jacket to wear soon enough. 

So im sitting at Sierra Gold Elevated on Flamingo and the 215. A sparse crowd unfortunately,  however OJ Simpson is here in reserved room.

HOW ABOUT GOING EAST IN WEEK 1 AND THE DEFENSE COMING UP BIG TO SEAL IT.
Panthers didn't look bad either. Not a great decision to give it to your fullback to get that 1 yard to keep your game alive but they played well (except for Whitehead showing why we moved on from him because of his inability to cover.... even when he actually was covering well... I like Tahir but he just can not cover at all). He held Christian down for the first half until he got it going and I am wondering how much of that had to do with Kwiatowski going out of the game. It seemed like that was about when Christian was able to start making some head way. 

D didn't generate tons of pressure but did what they needed to when they did. Makes me wonder what happens when they meet a high-octane offense like the Chiefs or Baltimore. Panthers got back in the game with

Some injuries you didn't like to see -- Brown re-injuring a calf that limited him all presesason. Kwiat going out with an injury and the D seemed to miss him when he was out.

Offense looked good not great -- Jacobs was stellar, as we all knew he would be  (and anyone with a semblance of football knowledge knew he would be) -- we could stand to be stronger in the deep/middle game but not sure if that was missing Ty Williams, game script, or just we need to get better, but we do.

Great win, let's heal and get back out there next week against the Saints with a better overall performance. We'll need one.

Solid W.

Happy for the win but at the very end...did I see it right? Clock was running with around 40 seconds, and still 15 seconds lefts on the play clock, and they snapped the ball?! Anyone else see that? Seemed like rookie level-clock management there. We would’ve punted it to the Panthers with 1 second left instead of 13. But maybe the TV scoreboard clock wasn’t accurate to the real game and play clocks. Hope that’s the reason. 

either way, 1-0 

Gotta love Gruden. When asked to describe Jacobs' play today, he said, "I'm not gonna put any more pressure on him than he puts on himself." 15 seconds later he compares his day to Walter Payton 🤣🤣

D didn't generate tons of pressure but did what they needed to when they did. Makes me wonder what happens when they meet a high-octane offense like the Chiefs or Baltimore. Panthers got back in the game with

Some injuries you didn't like to see -- Brown re-injuring a calf that limited him all presesason. Kwiat going out with an injury and the D seemed to miss him when he was out.

Offense looked good not great -- Jacobs was stellar, as we all knew he would be  (and anyone with a semblance of football knowledge knew he would be) -- we could stand to be stronger in the deep/middle game but not sure if that was missing Ty Williams, game script, or just we need to get better, but we do.

Great win, let's heal and get back out there next week against the Saints with a better overall performance. We'll need one.

Solid W.
Exactly, a win is a win, but the Raiders are going to see a lot of high powered offenses this year, the D is concerning. Arden Key was non-existent today after a off season of 'glowing" reports.

Brown is the best Right tackle in the league but God, he just can't stay on the field. 

Jacobs was amazing, time after time he's able to squeeze out extra yards, avoid tackles, he looks like he's gliding out there. 

Jacobs was amazing, time after time he's able to squeeze out extra yards, avoid tackles, he looks like he's gliding out there. 
Obviously he is "fine". I mean, you could have plugged Cam Akers in there and got the same production. It wasn't like he was the key to the win today. What a waste of a late 1st round pick. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously he is "fine". I mean, you could have plugged Cam Akers in there and got the same production. It wasn't like he was the key to the win today. What a waste of a late 1st round pick. 
The guy must only watch football on the Redzone channel lol.

Good win. Bridgewater is a solid QB and the D did well to hold him under 300 yards. Which is a compliment, realizing that the last 5 years I can't think of a time when the D held any QB under 300 yards. I'm sure its happened, but you guys know what I'm saying. 

The lack of outside pass rush was non-existent today. That's concerning. Kwiatkowski's pec injury is worrisome. How many pec injuries do we see that end up being season-ending? A lot... Hoping for the best there. 

Other than the mistake in the 4th quarter, I thought the young secondary played well, but the true test will come next week. 

Littleton was all over the field. That was a sight for sore eyes! 

I was one of the few people who predicted the Ruggs pick. I hope some of you guys start coming around on him after seeing how much Gruden wants to get him involved. Hopefully the injury is nothing. A speed guy with a tweaked ankle is like driving a Ferrari on bald tires.

Carr had a very typical game. Very Gannon-like numbers which we should expect from him in Gruden's offense. He did enough to win and that's all we need him to do. The Oline was very impressive, even without Brown. 

Bottom line, they beat a team they probably should have beaten. And it was a very clean game. I don't think the Raiders had one pre snap penalty. Someone tell me the last time that has happened! Hopefully the Brown, Ruggs and Kwiatkowski injuries aren't serious and they can battle the Saints at full strength for the Vegas home opener. Go Raiders!

My thoughts:

Good win.  Always nice to start the year with a W.
Jacobs was awesome.

Carr had a decent to good game.  I'd like more shots down the field, but that could have been play calling.

Gift from Rhule giving the fourth down play to the FB.

I hate Guenther's vanilla defense.  Wish we would have gotten a new DC this offseason.  His defensive play calling and looks are usually a very comfortable day for any opposing offense.

Abram is a missile out there.

The injuries to Brown and Kwiatkowski are a real concern.

My thoughts:

Good win.  Always nice to start the year with a W.
Jacobs was awesome.

Carr had a decent to good game.  I'd like more shots down the field, but that could have been play calling.

Gift from Rhule giving the fourth down play to the FB.

I hate Guenther's vanilla defense.  Wish we would have gotten a new DC this offseason.  His defensive play calling and looks are usually a very comfortable day for any opposing offense.

Abram is a missile out there.

The injuries to Brown and Kwiatkowski are a real concern.
Finally I see someone in here post some criticism about Gunther. I think this guy is part of the problem, not the solution.

32 Counter Pass said:
Finally I see someone in here post some criticism about Gunther. I think this guy is part of the problem, not the solution.
Was a reason we brought Marinelli in.

Competition at every position, including the coaching depth chart.

Let's see what Guenther can produce with this new squad. But his seat should feel warm this year.

Was a reason we brought Marinelli in.

Competition at every position, including the coaching depth chart.

Let's see what Guenther can produce with this new squad. But his seat should feel 
A heavily reworked personnel and most very young in an offseason with very limited ability to get it together. I just want to see progress week to week. 

We didn't get as much pressure as we need but up until Kwiat went out the D was smothering one of the best RB's in the league who is very dynamic but had very little on the ground and not much by air either. 

Other than the one play that the rookie acted very much like a rookie and got burnt, the secondary held up well. 

nice win.

D looked suspect as hell.

once ruggs got hurt, the offense seemed to become very one dimensional.

those east coast wins, are very rare.  i'll take it

Next 5 games are brutal. Need to find a way to win two of them to go into the softer part of the season at 3-3 or better. The way they fought back to retake the lead today was very encouraging. Most of the Raiders teams of the last three decades would've rolled over after giving up the lead in the 4th. Three first rounders from 2019 all flashed brilliance throughout. Credit to Gruden and the Vegas sun for having them ready to roll early on the East coast with black shirts on a hot and humid Carolina day.

Happy for the win but at the very end...did I see it right? Clock was running with around 40 seconds, and still 15 seconds lefts on the play clock, and they snapped the ball?! Anyone else see that? Seemed like rookie level-clock management there. We would’ve punted it to the Panthers with 1 second left instead of 13. But maybe the TV scoreboard clock wasn’t accurate to the real game and play clocks. Hope that’s the reason. 

either way, 1-0 
Not sure what you were seeing, but they managed the clock there perfectly.  Took max time each snap (Carolins had 2 timeouts) and then let the clock run out on 4th down, took delay and then punted it out of bounds.   Left them with 8 seconds at their own 27 down by 4.

1st & 10 at LV 46

(1:11 - 4th) J.Jacobs up the middle to LV 47 for 1 yard (D.Brown; K.Short).

(1:07 - 4th) Timeout #2 by CAR at 01:07.

2nd & 9 at LV 47

(1:07 - 4th) J.Jacobs right guard to LV 49 for 2 yards (K.Short; A.Taylor).

(1:02 - 4th) Timeout #3 by CAR at 01:02.

3rd & 7 at LV 49

(1:02 - 4th) J.Jacobs up the middle to CAR 46 for 5 yards (S.Thompson; K.Short).

4th & 2 at CAR 46

(0:14 - 4th) (Run formation) PENALTY on LV, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 46 - No Play.

4th & 7 at LV 49

(0:14 - 4th) A.Cole punts 24 yards to CAR 27, Center-T.Sieg, out of bounds.

1st & 10 at CAR 27

(0:08 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass incomplete deep right to C.Samuel.

2nd & 10 at CAR 27

(0:02 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass deep right to C.Samuel pushed ob at CAR 46 for 19 yards (D.Arnette).

As in, first offensive play of the season, PA to Jacobs and send Ruggs down field like a bolt of greased lightning for a 65 yard strike.

Then have our massive, nasty o-line rip a gaping hole in the defensive front for Jacobs to pound it to paydirt.

League on notice.
OK, it didn't happen that way, and not off PA, but we did get this to cap our second series, starting with the 7th play of that drive, 11th play overall:

1st & 10 at CAR 46

(6:21 - 1st) D.Carr pass deep right to H.Ruggs pushed ob at CAR 1 for 45 yards (T.Boston).

1st & Goal at CAR 1

(5:47 - 1st) Josh Jacobs 1 Yd Run (Daniel Carlson Kick)

I think this is going to be a staple. Soften D up with different looks and reel them in with what looks like a Jacobs run, torch them deep to put us in scoring position.

Next week will be tough, tough sledding. Want to see our D improve and be competitive with the best in the league.

OK, it didn't happen that way, and not off PA, but we did get this to cap our second series, starting with the 7th play of that drive, 11th play overall:

1st & 10 at CAR 46

(6:21 - 1st) D.Carr pass deep right to H.Ruggs pushed ob at CAR 1 for 45 yards (T.Boston).

1st & Goal at CAR 1

(5:47 - 1st) Josh Jacobs 1 Yd Run (Daniel Carlson Kick)

I think this is going to be a staple. Soften D up with different looks and reel them in with what looks like a Jacobs run, torch them deep to put us in scoring position.

Next week will be tough, tough sledding. Want to see our D improve and be competitive with the best in the league.
The D is not ready for Brees and that Saints O.   I don’t expect a close game.   A non-existent pass rush and young secondary is going to result in a rough day for our Raiders.  

(1:02 - 4th) Timeout #3 by CAR at 01:02.

3rd & 7 at LV 49

(1:02 - 4th) J.Jacobs up the middle to CAR 46 for 5 yards (S.Thompson; K.Short).
Yup. My bad. It was this play. They snapped the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock, but the game clock was stopped at 1:02, as you noted, due to Car's time out. Thanks for making me re-look at it on my TiVo. 

in that case, it was a perfect win ;)  

Yup. My bad. It was this play. They snapped the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock, but the game clock was stopped at 1:02, as you noted, due to Car's time out. Thanks for making me re-look at it on my TiVo. 

in that case, it was a perfect win ;)  
For me, I think they changed where the play clock and game clock are on the broadcast.  I found myself confusing the 2 multiple times yesterday, so I can understand mixing them up. 

Raiders LB Nick Kwiatkoski, quickly ruled out yesterday with a pec injury, has some optimism that it’s not as bad as it appeared based on initial tests, source said. The MRI will tell the full story, but Kwiatkoski previously played through a worse pec injury.

Per Ian Rapoport 

Few observations:

Renfrow looked good at PR
That long FG, 56 yards i thought, looked like  it landed in the stands! 
Kick holder scooping up a worm burner of a snap and getting it down for the XP avoided potential OT
Abrams needs to break down more at when tackling. Doesn't need to, and missed a few times, annihilate every one he tackles
Decent tackling from our corners most the time
And our DBs getting under the skin of the Carolina players. Got at least 1 unsportsmanlike penalty out of DJ Moore. When CMC didn't get flagged for spiking the ball at Abrams i was expecting another

Few observations:

Kick holder scooping up a worm burner of a snap and getting it down for the XP avoided potential OT
Abrams needs to break down more at when tackling. Doesn't need to, and missed a few times, annihilate every one he tackles
And our DBs getting under the skin of the Carolina players. Got at least 1 unsportsmanlike penalty out of DJ Moore. When CMC didn't get flagged for spiking the ball at Abrams i was expecting another

Yea, forgot to give props to Carlson. That FG was a beautiful kick. Hope he stays that way all year long. 

I thought the spike from Christian was pretty dang close to getting a call if not should have been called. I wasn't sure if that was just my perspective or not so glad to hear someone else say it. It looks like he turned at Abram to do the spike. 

13 tackles for Abram (no s). We have one and not a full quite a second game to see him in action and both have shown nothing but absolute promise in his potential to be one of the best safeties in the game. He was all over the field. Having him back will make a difference for sure. 

Thomas with a sprain or no, this next week is going to test the D big time. I really hope they respond. If we don't get more pressure on Brees then we won't do well though, that is for sure. 

The D is not ready for Brees and that Saints O.   I don’t expect a close game.   A non-existent pass rush and young secondary is going to result in a rough day for our Raiders.  
I don't expect us to win, either, even with Thomas ailing. We are not that D. I do want to see them compete, though. I want to see a step forward from last year and with each game, and not get discombobulated or give up.

Few observations:

Solid insight. Totally agree on Abrams, it's what put him out for the season last year. But man, when he does hit like a guided missile? It's really, really sweet. He had a killer hit where he swooped in to make a huge stick on McCaffrey at or just past the LOS (can't find video of it will post if I can).

We were variable in coverage, but at least seeing guys making plays in the midfield was great. Used to be that if a guy like McCaffrey hit the second level, he was always gone. Historically we used to see no LB around a player breaking through the line and lack of support that overwhelmed safeties trying to make a stop. It still happened in this game, but far less frequently given our revamped LB core.

Carlson with a good game and looking confident. Hope that lasts, he was a little more variable than I like in previous years.

The fact that we played a relatively laundry-free game and got the other team to commit fouls was huge, and hope it continues. 

Don't give up so soon, gents. Last time the Raiders had a team this good, they beat Brees & co. in Nawlins. First game in Vegas under Monday Night lights. Expect fireworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bahl5_YirI8
TB has a couple of good LB's and solid against the run but overall I don't remember them being really effective against the pass game last year.... and that all to say that the NO offense didn't look as explosive as it has. Certainly just the first game and I am not throwing dirt into the grave or anything but add that into Thomas being hobbled. I am more scared of CMC than I am of Kamara and up until Kwiatkowski went out we were putting a lid on him. I still am not saying that I expect us to win or that we will shut the Saints out but this doesn't seem like the Saints offense that have seen for the last decade which is encouraging. 

Few observations:

Forgot to add that Booker looked solid in most of his action when giving Jacobs a breather

I heard that T. Brown and his backup were hurt in the game. Any insight? I would be more concerned about the health of the oline instead of a Mike Thomas’ status.

Sarlakticacid said:
Forgot to add that Booker looked solid in most of his action when giving Jacobs a breather
Yup. Jacobs has 49 of 63 snaps so when Booker got on the field he made an impact. Booker took 8 snaps and made the most of them for sure. 4 carries for 29 yards (7.2 average) and 3 receptions for 23 yards (7.7 average).

I like that but I like Jacobs being used much more in the passing game even more. Richard is 'fine' but Jacobs is a difference maker. The more he can play all three downs the better off we are and it looks like Gruden is more comfortable with his pass pro and ability to catch the ball. 

I heard that T. Brown and his backup were hurt in the game. Any insight? I would be more concerned about the health of the oline instead of a Mike Thomas’ status.
Been looking. So far, nothing really other than Young has a groin injury of some sort. No idea the severity of either. I guess Parker will end up dressing and maybe getting the start Monday

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
The fact that we played a relatively laundry-free game and got the other team to commit fouls was huge, and hope it continues. 
Excellent to see.  In watching games all weekend it seemed to me that the refs may have been instructed to be less flag happy.  The last couple years you had to wait every play to see if it counted cause there was a good chance a flag would be on the field.  Much less holding (defensive and offensive) and other penalties seemed to called across the board this weekend.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Solid insight. Totally agree on Abrams, it's what put him out for the season last year. But man, when he does hit like a guided missile? It's really, really sweet. He had a killer hit where he swooped in to make a huge stick on McCaffrey at or just past the LOS (can't find video of it will post if I can).

https://streamable.com/pf5ruz

Abram is so much fun to watch.  I really don't care if he has a few swings that he misses on every game because I think his play style as a whole works to completely unnerve offensive skill players.

Excellent to see.  In watching games all weekend it seemed to me that the refs may have been instructed to be less flag happy.  The last couple years you had to wait every play to see if it counted cause there was a good chance a flag would be on the field.  Much less holding (defensive and offensive) and other penalties seemed to called across the board this weekend.
I think Raiders fans would all agree the less flags (finally) is great, but man Maxx Crosby was blatantly held when he had a wide open shot at the QB early in the game.  It was in wide open space and the official was standing right there; no idea how that was not called.

Users who are viewing this thread