What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (10 Viewers)

I would be fine with Pickett but not with our 1st pick, no way.
I actually think he is the worst case scenario for drafting a QB. He could be good enough to start, but I don't see him ever being a better than average starter. He would just block the team from drafting and developing somebody else. 

Drunken Cowboy said:
I actually think he is the worst case scenario for drafting a QB. He could be good enough to start, but I don't see him ever being a better than average starter. He would just block the team from drafting and developing somebody else. 
Basically how I view him, especially the bolded, but a little lower on his ceiling. I hope the bar they are setting is higher than that for a 1st round selection.

The only guy I have much interest for in this class is the kid from UNR.  I think he's got the best combination of current skill set, necessary size/arm, and "projectable" potential to be a playoff caliber NFL QB.  He isn't in the mold of the "QB nouveau" teams seem to be after these days (i.e. he's more "mobile in the pocket" than he is "a mobile QB"), but the dude can read defenses and chuck the hell out of it.  If his knee is 100%, that's the only guy I'd want them taking a shot on with a first this year.

Unbelievably, they could control their own destiny for the division by the end of the week. 
This offense is vomit inducing though. :(   4 turnovers and you get 16 points?  Gag.

Even if they somehow managed to back into the playoffs theyre a one and done team almost fo' sho'.  Hardly worth it in the long run (im sure the organization disagrees though).

This offense is vomit inducing though. :(   4 turnovers and you get 16 points?  Gag.

Even if they somehow managed to back into the playoffs theyre a one and done team almost fo' sho'.  Hardly worth it in the long run (im sure the organization disagrees though).
Yeah, I almost feel like they lost after watching this game.

Damn, tough crowd
I'll say.

The offense wasn't very good but they did enough to win the game.   The run blocking is still a disaster but not surprising considering the Titans have a great run defense.  The Steelers defense was shaky at times but opportunistic. 

I expect we will take a shellacking this week on the road against the Chiefs but the other teams in the division don't have cakewalks either

Bengals:  vs Ravens, vs Chiefs, @ Browns

Browns:  @ Packers, @ Steelers, vs Bengals

Ravens:  @ Bengals,  vs Rams, vs Steelers

Overall I still see us finishing at 8-8-1 and missing the playoffs.  The tie makes a wildcard almost impossible without a sweep of our remaining games.   It's good to still be in the hunt though and we will be going into the Browns game in Week 17 at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three Steelers lead their positions in the AFC Pro Bowl fan voting which just completed.   TJ Watt led all linebackers in fan voting but the other two were quite a surprise:

Punter Pressley Harvin and kick returner Ray-Ray McCloud    :lmao:

Three Steelers lead their positions in the AFC Pro Bowl fan voting which just completed.   TJ Watt led all linebackers in fan voting but the other two were quite a surprise:

Punter Pressley Harvin and kick returner Ray-Ray McCloud    :lmao:

Apparently Harvin's dad is terminally ill and they just got news last week that he did not have much longer to live.  The Steelers got his dad and also sick mother to the game last week so that they could see him play one last time together.  Might be why his concentration was a bit off.

Also, apparently the Chiefs have a major COVID outbreak.  Could have 10+ players on the COVID list by the end of today.  Game in jeopardy.  

Also, apparently the Chiefs have a major COVID outbreak.  Could have 10+ players on the COVID list by the end of today.  Game in jeopardy.  
The NFL should have learned it’s lesson that postponing games a few days doesn’t help and potentially makes it worse (ask the Seahawks about that)

It also really screws with people that have bought tickets, flights, hotels, etc.

They should follow through with what they said they were going to do at the beginning of the season. Play the game or forfeit.

Otherwise pause the season 3-4 weeks in the hopes the situation gets better and play the Super Bowl in March.

The NFL should have learned it’s lesson that postponing games a few days doesn’t help and potentially makes it worse (ask the Seahawks about that)

It also really screws with people that have bought tickets, flights, hotels, etc.

They should follow through with what they said they were going to do at the beginning of the season. Play the game or forfeit.

Otherwise pause the season 3-4 weeks in the hopes the situation gets better and play the Super Bowl in March.
It was only a forfeit if the lack of players was due to them not being vaccinated.  

It was only a forfeit if the lack of players was due to them not being vaccinated.  
You may be right but postponing games is stupid and unfair to everyone except the team with the outbreak.

I would rather they take a month off and hope things get better, otherwise cancel the season.

Wouldn't it just be great if the Steelers got screwed by other teams getting COVID 2 years in a row? Just great. 

Just play the damn game, if Mahomes still plays then the Chiefs probably win either way. I don't want our team to get less rest before taking on the Browns and Ravens, 2 winnable games. 

They aren't winning with that offense, they're winning with that defense 😎
I don't know how they're doing that either. :)   They flat out can't stop ANYONE from running all over them at the moment.  D'onta Foreman?  Eesh.  Walter Abercrombie wants to come outta retirement and suit up for the Chiefs this week.

NFL should just pause the season, or pack it in. Such a diluted product now, and all these games are being played with unfair advantages, one way or the other.

NFL should just pause the season, or pack it in. Such a diluted product now, and all these games are being played with unfair advantages, one way or the other.
or just play.  this situation is x10, but injuries and illnesses create advantages every week, every year.

or just play.  this situation is x10, but injuries and illnesses create advantages every week, every year.
These are not normal circumstances. The NHL put their league on hold for a reason. Watching teams like WFT and Cleveland play with a competitive disadvantage is a joke in my opinion, especially when fighting for a playoff spot. Either let them all play, or don't play at all.

These are not normal circumstances
really?  i'm not very emotionally invested in whatever they decide to do, but the NFL runs (sells) games.  games have rules.  they created rules re: covid in the off season.  i would prefer they follow those rules.

really?  i'm not very emotionally invested in whatever they decide to do, but the NFL runs (sells) games.  games have rules.  they created rules re: covid in the off season.  i would prefer they follow those rules.
Rules change as they go, as have the Covid protocols. Again, some other professional leagues had rules in place, yet are postponing matches since this Covid situation is ever evolving.

Questioning whether this is normal?

Rules change as they go, as have the Covid protocols. Again, some other professional leagues had rules in place, yet are postponing matches since this Covid situation is ever evolving.

Questioning whether this is normal?
The NFL had rules in place, they should have followed them IMO

To me there are the following options:

1) Play the games as scheduled.  

2) Postpone the season and resume when the Covid surge ends (this could be a month or more)

3) End the season now and use the current standings to seed the teams.  Put the playoff teams in a bubble for 2-3 weeks and start the playoffs on time.

4) Cancel the entire season 

To me #1 is the obvious choice.

Devin Bush placed on COVID list, that makes 3 so far.

My guess is that KC players come off the list in time for Sunday, just as 10 Steelers players go on the list and the NFL decides not to push the game. Then on the 3rd play of the game our 5th string OLB named Joe Shmo McGo tackles Pat Mahomes and breaks both his arms and legs and the Steelers end up winning the game. 

The NFL had rules in place, they should have followed them IMO

To me there are the following options:

1) Play the games as scheduled.  

2) Postpone the season and resume when the Covid surge ends (this could be a month or more)

3) End the season now and use the current standings to seed the teams.  Put the playoff teams in a bubble for 2-3 weeks and start the playoffs on time.

4) Cancel the entire season 

To me #1 is the obvious choice.
Other professional leagues are going option #2, or postponing individual games to a future date, including NBA, NHL, and EPL in Europe. NCAA basketball is postponing and cancelling games. 

NFL is the only league going down the current path. That part is obvious.

Devin Bush placed on COVID list, that makes 3 so far.

My guess is that KC players come off the list in time for Sunday, just as 10 Steelers players go on the list and the NFL decides not to push the game. Then on the 3rd play of the game our 5th string OLB named Joe Shmo McGo tackles Pat Mahomes and breaks both his arms and legs and the Steelers end up winning the game. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.  :lol:

All I was hoping for was a good game. My brother is supposed to be in town for Christmas for the first time in two years and this was the ONE game we would be able to watch together. And now it's going to be diluted tremendously - looking like both sides at this point.

Just bummed about it. Hopefully both teams get guys back and its a somewhat fair matchup. 

Other professional leagues are going option #2, or postponing individual games to a future date, including NBA, NHL, and EPL in Europe. NCAA basketball is postponing and cancelling games. 

NFL is the only league going down the current path. That part is obvious.
If you could postpone the season one or even two weeks and be assured the problem would be over then I would agree.  

The problem is the surge likely won't be over for a month or more.   Delaying that long will require the season to resume in late January and playing playoffs in mid to late February .  The thought of playing February games in cold market cities is not pleasant.

I don't think there is a good alternative so I would just try to play the games as scheduled.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.  :lol:

All I was hoping for was a good game. My brother is supposed to be in town for Christmas for the first time in two years and this was the ONE game we would be able to watch together. And now it's going to be diluted tremendously - looking like both sides at this point.

Just bummed about it. Hopefully both teams get guys back and its a somewhat fair matchup. 
No further cases on Wednesday I don't think, so it could be the end of people popping positive, and if they're vaxxed then Hill and Kelce have decent shots to play this week. 

Steelers losing Klemm (O-line coach) to Oregon after the season is over. Apparently he's one of the top college recruiters in the nation. I'm not sure if he's done a great job with our O-line this season or not. With 2 rookies starting and overall very limited experience along the line, and with backups filling in regularly, I think it's hard to judge. I don't think we'll really know until next year if the line gets better or worse with a similar makeup, but we could have 2-3 different starters along the line next year so we may never know. 

steelers1080 said:
Steelers losing Klemm (O-line coach) to Oregon after the season is over. Apparently he's one of the top college recruiters in the nation. I'm not sure if he's done a great job with our O-line this season or not. With 2 rookies starting and overall very limited experience along the line, and with backups filling in regularly, I think it's hard to judge. I don't think we'll really know until next year if the line gets better or worse with a similar makeup, but we could have 2-3 different starters along the line next year so we may never know. 
I feel safe in saying that he has done a poor job this season.  The offensive line is abysmal and that may be due to lack of experience/talent but they haven’t improved at all during the course of the season.

I am fine with his departure 

Steelers signed 2 punters and made a handful of other moves to bolster the offensive line and add depth on practice squad.

It’s hard to imagine either punter being much of a downgrade but I am concerned as Harvin is Boswell’s holder.  I hope that doesn’t come into play today.

Freiermuth missing today will hurt. Bush is also out and as disappointed as he has been, he still is a starting ILB.

.It would have been nice if Hill was out today but he has been cleared to play.  The Chiefs activated Kelce with the hope that he will clear Covid protocol so we will see.

Overall I am expecting a butt whooping today. Chiefs 30 Steelers 17 

I would take a Christmas miracle though…

Truly dreadful game. It would be too easy to list the negatives so let's list the positives:

The replacement punter looked pretty good.

Looking at a very long rebuild before the Steelers are relevant again.

There's a show on VH1 called I Love the 80s... you know who didn't love the 80s? Steelers fans. That's what I see on the horizon.

Looking at a very long rebuild before the Steelers are relevant again.

There's a show on VH1 called I Love the 80s... you know who didn't love the 80s? Steelers fans. That's what I see on the horizon.
Not sure I agree. They have some skilled players on both sides of the ball. Oline, dline, and replacing edmonds are top priority for next year. Maybe Ben comes back — he hasn’t been terrible, but the play calls have been.  Doesn’t appear a Ben replacement is in this draft anyway. 

That was embarrassing though.  Think that was the first time I have had a network switch away from a Steelers game, to show something “more competitive”

Not sure I agree. They have some skilled players on both sides of the ball. Oline, dline, and replacing edmonds are top priority for next year. Maybe Ben comes back — he hasn’t been terrible, but the play calls have been.  Doesn’t appear a Ben replacement is in this draft anyway. 

To be a Steelers fan for as long as I have is to root for championships. Not winning that with Ben... not with Rudolph... not with any QB behind that line. Not interested in 10-7 teams that play hard and lose in early round of playoffs.

They have some nice pieces I agree,  just not the right ones in the right places to hoist a Lombardi.

Users who are viewing this thread