What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

My 17yo daughter (and aspiring nursing student) got a job serving food in a nursing home about 3 months ago. It's her first "real job" and we figured it was a good opportunity to make sure this is really what she wants to do before going to college. She works in the Alzheimer's unit. I've never seen her so engaged and passionate about something so meaningful. She comes every night with endless stories (mostly sad, but not always) and she's become quite attached to several of the residents. Two weeks ago, the facility had its first positive case. Last week, they climbed to 14 cases, and my daughter's floor had their first case. This week, there are over 50 cases total (2 have died) and her floor has at least 10. Its a full blown outbreak that's making the news. In the past 2 weeks, she has gone from just wearing a face mask, to wearing full PPE (N95, face shield, gown). This will be her first night back since the outbreak last week and she's terrified. Not because she's afraid of catching the virus, but because she's afraid to find out which of her residents have caught COVID. It's heartbreaking watching this unfold, but Ive never been so proud of her in my life.  :cry:
All 27 residents on her floor have now tested positive. At least a third of them have died. Only a few have recovered. A group of Alzheimer patients living in such close quarters are just so vulnerable. The national guard was called in last week to assist. They have taken over all logistics and wait at the door each day to fit/test/train the employees on their PPE gear. My daughter has been moved to a different unit, so all she can do now is scan the obituaries for updates. Earlier this week, one of her favorite residents, Don, died. Don was a WW2 veteran and a huge college football fan. Every day he wore a matching Penn State sweat pants and hoodie with the hood up. Perched on top of the hood was a baseball hat that read "WW2 Veteran". Most days he drank decaf with his dinner, but on the last day my daughter saw him, Penn State was playing, and the game was on the TV. Don rolled up to the counter and when my daughter asked him what he wanted to drink, Don said "I'll have a beer". My daughter was unsure what to do, so she asked one of the aides. They told her to fill a glass half with apple juice and half with ginger ale. She handed the glass to Don and he said "what kind of beer is this?". My daughter replied "Budweiser". He took a big gulp, gave her a big smile, and said "Thanks honey!". RIP Don.

All 27 residents on her floor have now tested positive. At least a third of them have died. Only a few have recovered. A group of Alzheimer patients living in such close quarters are just so vulnerable. The national guard was called in last week to assist. They have taken over all logistics and wait at the door each day to fit/test/train the employees on their PPE gear. My daughter has been moved to a different unit, so all she can do now is scan the obituaries for updates. Earlier this week, one of her favorite residents, Don, died. Don was a WW2 veteran and a huge college football fan. Every day he wore a matching Penn State sweat pants and hoodie with the hood up. Perched on top of the hood was a baseball hat that read "WW2 Veteran". Most days he drank decaf with his dinner, but on the last day my daughter saw him, Penn State was playing, and the game was on the TV. Don rolled up to the counter and when my daughter asked him what he wanted to drink, Don said "I'll have a beer". My daughter was unsure what to do, so she asked one of the aides. They told her to fill a glass half with apple juice and half with ginger ale. She handed the glass to Don and he said "what kind of beer is this?". My daughter replied "Budweiser". He took a big gulp, gave her a big smile, and said "Thanks honey!". RIP Don.
That is heartbreaking. God bless your daughter for having such a caring heart.  :cry:

Has the same flavor as "Coastal Elites" on HBO. :) :(

Last night my grandmother became another life claimed by Covid. Tough lady that beat death several times but couldn’t beat Covid. One of 20+ residents in her nursing home that tested positive recently along with 20+ staff members. 

You’ll be missed Grandma Diesel.
Sorry to hear of your loss.

ETA: My daughter is an ER nurse.  It is getting to a critical level and available beds are now in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone close to me gets a bad case, I will be giving them Maraviroc.  It's made by Pfizer and is FDA approved for HIV treatment. It has the same mechanism of action as leronlimab--both are CCR5 blockers and essentially occupy the part of the cell that the inflammatory cytokines bind to.  I know it works and is much more effective than remdesivir or anything else that's been approved. 

I have a course of Maraviroc at my house--7 days two pills / day.  It does have a warning for liver toxicity but 7 days probably won't hurt you.

Don rolled up to the counter and when my daughter asked him what he wanted to drink, Don said "I'll have a beer". My daughter was unsure what to do, so she asked one of the aides. They told her to fill a glass half with apple juice and half with ginger ale. She handed the glass to Don and he said "what kind of beer is this?". My daughter replied "Budweiser". He took a big gulp, gave her a big smile, and said "Thanks honey!". RIP Don.
Love this

Your daughter is an amazing person.

Last night my grandmother became another life claimed by Covid. Tough lady that beat death several times but couldn’t beat Covid. One of 20+ residents in her nursing home that tested positive recently along with 20+ staff members. 

Thoughts and prayers. I am currently home alone, COVID positive, and sick like I’ve never been before. Hopefully I can stay out of the hospital. I cannot be held responsible for my actions the next time I come across someone that says it’s JUSTA FLU, BRO. 

We have our first positive case at work as of 4pm. I’ve been expecting and dreading this. December represents 30-40% of our annual revenue and we’ve been as cautious as we can be to still remain open.  Now 1/3 of our staff is quarantined. Despite the guidelines I think we should close but without a stimulus plan I would  have to lay off a quarter of the staff come January. 

Happy Thanksgiving

Thoughts and prayers. I am currently home alone, COVID positive, and sick like I’ve never been before. Hopefully I can stay out of the hospital. I cannot be held responsible for my actions the next time I come across someone that says it’s JUSTA FLU, BRO. 
That sucks so much. Praying you start heading the right direction soon. I don’t blame you for doing what you can to avoid the hospital. If you start declining though, don’t wait until it’s too late. 

Sorry to hear dude. 

And "grandma diesel" is a pretty awesome nickname and seems fitting from your descriptions. 

Wooderson said:
I"ll give North Dakota credit for testings. I could get tested everyday in less than an hour with no problem. 
So been feeling a little funky the last couple days. Decided to get tested today. 
Drove up to the test site was in and out in 45 minutes. Never got out of my truck. 

Not saying it’s not a problem in ND. But no doubt in my mind our numbers are up cause we kick ### in testing. 

Christ. Sorry man. 

Another day of 1k+ positives in SA. Mayor imposes curfew starting tomorrow 10-5 thru Monday. Attempting to halt huge outdoor get-togethers and whatnot over the holidays.

Sorry for your loss...

Hang in there brother. We are all pulling for you.

Watching Jersey Shore episodes that are documenting the beginning of covid is pretty great. 

Ps: This is not an effort by me to minimize the virus.

Yeah, I'm guessing cases peak in mid January with deaths parking mid February. Going to be a long, ugly few months. Hopefully I'm wrong. 
Unfortunately I agree with your projection.  December, January, and February are going to be terrible.  Some of the upcoming catastrophe was probably unavoidable (everyone moving indoors, holiday travel), but we knew this was coming and did nothing during the summer and fall to prepare. 

I have a hard time processing the fact that a bunch of people are going to die literally weeks before a vaccine arrives.  Such a waste.

The only thing stopping you from being right is a huge chunk of the country acting responsibly the next 6 weeks. I wouldn’t be running to place any bets on that happening.

Interventions from the government are just protecting us from ourselves at this point. It comes down to individuals making good personal decisions and we’re not doing too well with that based on the flight data.
I'm going to respectfully push back on this one a little.  Not because you're wrong necessarily, but because it should have been blindingly obvious back in June or so -- when people were starting to revolt over relatively trivial stuff like not being able to get a haircut -- that any strategy for the winter relying on "Well, we'll just cancel Thanksgiving and Christmas this year" was a strategy doomed for failure.  We needed something like cheap, easy, and ubiquitous testing, and instead we* fell back on magical thinking about everybody living like a hermit during the holiday season.  (Edit: The comparison that @parasaurolophus made below to abstinence-only education is spot-on.  I'm stealing that and I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that myself).

* Not literally us.

Sorry to hear about this GB. 

I'm going to respectfully push back on this one a little.  Not because you're wrong necessarily, but because it should have been blindingly obvious back in June or so -- when people were starting to revolt over relatively trivial stuff like not being able to get a haircut -- that any strategy for the winter relying on "Well, we'll just cancel Thanksgiving and Christmas this year" was a strategy doomed for failure.  We needed something like cheap, easy, and ubiquitous testing, and instead we* fell back on magical thinking about everybody living like a hermit during the holiday season.  

* Not literally us.
It reminds me of abstinence only education. 

Stay strong, guy.  We'll be thinking about you today.  

I'm going to respectfully push back on this one a little.  Not because you're wrong necessarily, but because it should have been blindingly obvious back in June or so -- when people were starting to revolt over relatively trivial stuff like not being able to get a haircut -- that any strategy for the winter relying on "Well, we'll just cancel Thanksgiving and Christmas this year" was a strategy doomed for failure.  We needed something like cheap, easy, and ubiquitous testing, and instead we* fell back on magical thinking about everybody living like a hermit during the holiday season.  (Edit: The comparison that @parasaurolophus made below to abstinence-only education is spot-on.  I'm stealing that and I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that myself).

* Not literally us.
The first consideration of policy should be human nature.

Sadly and all too often it's not accounted for at all in the calculus.

Get well soon. I have a workmate who has been down with this thing about four weeks now. He says he is sick of being sick. Is testing negative now but still feeling like crap. I pray this doesn't drag on like that for you. He, like me, falls in the "older" category and that may well be a big piece of it. Whatever your age may be, wishing you a SPEEDY recovery!

Sorry to hear that GD, my condolences to you and your family. As someone who lost all my grandparents before I was even old enough to remember them, I have a special soft spot for grandparents and those that were fortunate enough to know them. It seems like such a special bond. I envy you all.

Work as RN for the state on weekends at a home for those with developmental disabilities. The home is basically set up as 3 separate apartments divided by double doors with 3-4 individuals per apartments. 

Apparently (at least) one of them tested positive yesterday. Heard news from a co-worker yesterday. As disorganized as management at this home is, wouldn't be surprised if I heard nothing about from them before this weekend. Undecided what I'm going to do. I'm thinking the worst just knowing how disorganized things are there.

The one that tested positive has his own bedroom.... separated MAYBE 5 foot from the rooms of 70+ year old man and a 50 year old male. To make matters worse, my co-worker/friend was in direct contact with the individual yesterday (then pulled a double....working at a completely different state home for an eight hour shift). Unbeknownst to him, the individual from first home would test positive later in day. I never understood the rationale, in general, allowing employees to work different homes.... and now here we are. I was asked on a couple occasions (due to shortages) but refused.

* Not literally us.
Oh I absolutely agree that canceling Thanksgiving and Christmas was never going to happen. Flu season is a thing every year because of holiday gatherings. It was inevitable that spikes would happen. The fact that we have our worst nationwide outbreak prior to those spikes is why it’s so disastrous.

I posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago a suggestion for everyone to take the weeks leading up Thanksgiving seriously, not for yourself but for the most at-risk person at your table. I doubt the message reached the people it needed to, but I hope it did to just a couple friends.

Yikes just talked to my mom who works in hospital in SD and it might be worse than I thought. A few months ago the private Catholic school in my hometown closed temporarily because they didn’t have enough healthy teachers. Turns out it was due to the priest giving out communion at 3 services the day before testing positive (apparently had symptoms before). The same church has continued to have mass and only around 10% wear masks. They also have continued to have normal wake, visitation and funerals. Just an unbelievable level of negligence.

She also had stories of rural bars being flooded with people from Minnesota and bigger cities that have put in mask mandates. Makes me extremely concerned about my family and friends working in health care there.

Anarchy99 said:
Get well soon gb.  We're all hoping and praying for a quick recovery for you.   I also want to thank you for vocalizing and elaborating your experience battling covid.  So many people that don't know anybody first hand that has dealt with covid just look at the mortality rate and act very dismissive about it.  If you have the energy and are up to it--I'd personally appreciate if you could update us on how you are doing-how your symptoms are progressing--just detailing your battle a bit.  I feel like that insight would not only let us know how you are doing--but also act as a useful tool to let some understand that many times the battle against Covid is pretty damn brutal. 

IvanKaramazov said:
Unfortunately I agree with your projection.  December, January, and February are going to be terrible.  Some of the upcoming catastrophe was probably unavoidable (everyone moving indoors, holiday travel), but we knew this was coming and did nothing during the summer and fall to prepare. 

I have a hard time processing the fact that a bunch of people are going to die literally weeks before a vaccine arrives.  Such a waste.
Agree that the next few months are going to be really tough.   Taking it a step further--I very much worry about the next 3-4 weeks.  There is frankly a lot of virus out there and while lots of people (like myself) basically did a digital Thanksgiving with the family--a lot of people didn't.   Our healthcare system is already very stressed and stretched in many areas around the country and I very much worry that the upcoming wave of hospitalizations will push areas past critical levels.  I truly hope I'm wrong--but we have a finite amount of hospital space and more importantly a finite amount of skilled healthcare workers.  If our healthcare systems get overwhelmed to the point that the quality of care has to diminish and the mortality rate rises just slightly--you could see a moderate uptick in daily deaths just off of the high volume alone.   It pains me to say this--but I would not be surprised in the least for us to be averaging 2500 deaths a day by early to mid December.  If I'm wrong--nobody would be happier than me.   Be safe everybody.  

Just a snapshot from our my little world--first Thanksgiving not being with my large family. My wife and daughter did our safe home thing. My 21 year old (away a college) was at her boyfriend's mom's house today and will be at his dad's house tomorrow (not happy). Her county will be moving to complete stay at home because of the numbers there. My wife's parents came by and didn't leave the car. My wife went out with a mask and got a pie from them. They eat out every night of the week and think they won't get it. 

While watching my wife get the pie, the house across the street from us had a modest gathering going on (maybe 8-10 cars), but down the street there was a massive get together with loud music and a football game being played in the street. It was a full on street party with dozens of people.

People are stupid......

The only bright spot was my oldest sister sent my 85 year old mom one of those Portals and so she got to see the whole family virtually today. It made her day.   

Wooderson said:
So been feeling a little funky the last couple days. Decided to get tested today. 
Drove up to the test site was in and out in 45 minutes. Never got out of my truck. 

Not saying it’s not a problem in ND. But no doubt in my mind our numbers are up cause we kick ### in testing. 

Thank goodness I tested negative. I got my test results in 36 hours. Very impressed with how quick it was. 

Agree that the next few months are going to be really tough.   Taking it a step further--I very much worry about the next 3-4 weeks.  There is frankly a lot of virus out there and while lots of people (like myself) basically did a digital Thanksgiving with the family--a lot of people didn't.   Our healthcare system is already very stressed and stretched in many areas around the country and I very much worry that the upcoming wave of hospitalizations will push areas past critical levels.  I truly hope I'm wrong--but we have a finite amount of hospital space and more importantly a finite amount of skilled healthcare workers.  If our healthcare systems get overwhelmed to the point that the quality of care has to diminish and the mortality rate rises just slightly--you could see a moderate uptick in daily deaths just off of the high volume alone.   It pains me to say this--but I would not be surprised in the least for us to be averaging 2500 deaths a day by early to mid December.  If I'm wrong--nobody would be happier than me.   Be safe everybody.  
You're not. I think it is inevitable. This country is just to selfish and self-centered for it to be prevented. A long as we depend on people doing what is right, we are doomed until a vaccine is widely available. We'll just continue to hunker down until Darwinism and/or the vaccine win out. We've made it this far, we're not going to trip right before the finish line.

You're not. I think it is inevitable. This country is just to selfish and self-centered for it to be prevented. A long as we depend on people doing what is right, we are doomed until a vaccine is widely available. We'll just continue to hunker down until Darwinism and/or the vaccine win out. We've made it this far, we're not going to trip right before the finish line.
I have been saying this for weeks but it seems to be taken the wrong way at times.  It doesn’t matter what anyone says or asks citizens to do.   This country is spoiled, selfish, and does not care about anyone but themselves.  Many don’t think “it” will happen to them.   It’s happening.   I know so many people that have tested positive or have a family member that is positive.   Fortunately, most have had minor symptoms and have come out the other side ok.   It’s only a matter of time before that changes.   

We were going to have a few family members over yesterday to celebrate Thanksgiving but decided a few days ago that it’s not worth the risk.  Instead, we had over the wife’s parents and delivered dinners to our siblings families.   My daughter’s hybrid schooling is now 100% remote until January.   I’m disappointed because our school district has failed miserably with education so far this year but I’m done worrying about it.   I can’t fix it.   Instead, we are going to focus on staying safe and educating her ourselves.  

The numbers just keep rising...

Coworkers - 1 in hospital. Total of 6 confirmed positive cases including the hospitalized lady. One wife confirmed positive. One 80+ year old mother that lives with one of the coworkers is positive. 4 more coworkers showing symptoms but not positive yet.

For anyone following this thread... wondering "is it REALLY as bad as they make it out to be?" The answer is an absolute resounding YES from here. We also had an outbreak at one of our sister facilities in March I talked about earlier in this thread (also why I'm so angry at our company. WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH THIS ONCE BEFORE!!!!). Less testing available in March. Not everyone was confirmed positive, many were presumed positive based on exposure and symptoms. That outbreak resulted in over 18+ being sick. A couple hospitalizations. THREE dead family members of coworkers. And here we are in November going through the same type of thing. 

It is NOT the flu. It is real and damn it sucks. Stay vigilant and stay safe out there. 
Another one of the people who tested positive had to be hospitalized.  :(

@Otis do you want to stop by and remind us about how great NY and company are at taking covid precautions and give us hillbillies some tips here in the southeast?

Something I thought about yesterday, and I'm sure we've discussed it in here somewhere, but can't recall... If you have already had Covid (I haven't, just asking in general), like months ago, can you still be a vector for transmission? Or do your antibodies kill the infectious activities so that you can no longer spread the virus even if you pick up new virus particles?

Something I thought about yesterday, and I'm sure we've discussed it in here somewhere, but can't recall... If you have already had Covid (I haven't, just asking in general), like months ago, can you still be a vector for transmission? Or do your antibodies kill the infectious activities so that you can no longer spread the virus even if you pick up new virus particles?
Word is you can get a reinfection, and your second infection can be worse. Some reports were out that antibodies lasted about 4 months. 

The following thought is sage advice I got from this thread early on. When I am out of the house I act like everyone has it including myself and do everything I can to prevent spreading the virus. I live this thought and have passed it on many times. 

Word is you can get a reinfection, and your second infection can be worse. Some reports were out that antibodies lasted about 4 months. 

The following thought is sage advice I got from this thread early on. When I am out of the house I act like everyone has it including myself and do everything I can to prevent spreading the virus. I live this thought and have passed it on many times. 
Same here. 

I guess, more specifically thought, my question is... if you are still inside the 3-4 month window that antibodies are thought to be present and sufficient (although I have seen some new early report studies that longer timeframes of present antibodies are starting to roll in, which is awesome) to keep you from getting sick again, can you still carry infectious particles and transmit to others, even if you yourself won't get sick from them?

Same here. 

I guess, more specifically thought, my question is... if you are still inside the 3-4 month window that antibodies are thought to be present and sufficient (although I have seen some new early report studies that longer timeframes of present antibodies are starting to roll in, which is awesome) to keep you from getting sick again, can you still carry infectious particles and transmit to others, even if you yourself won't get sick from them?
Not sure we can answer that question definitively for SARS-CoV2, but standard teaching suggests immune individuals spread infection less effectively than those without antibodies. That being said, there is some evidence vaccinated individuals shed flu better than unvaccinated people (note, this study doesn't measure antibody levels).

Self-reported vaccination for the current season was associated with a trend (P < 0.10) toward higher viral shedding in fine-aerosol samples; vaccination with both the current and previous year’s seasonal vaccines, however, was significantly associated with greater fine-aerosol shedding in unadjusted and adjusted models (P < 0.01). In adjusted models, we observed 6.3 (95% CI 1.9–21.5) times more aerosol shedding among cases with vaccination in the current and previous season compared with having no vaccination in those two seasons. Vaccination was not associated with coarse-aerosol or NP shedding (P > 0.10). The association of vaccination and shedding was significant for influenza A (P = 0.03) but not for influenza B (P = 0.83) infections 
There is also talk that COVID-19 vaccines may just attenuate infection, limiting symptoms without completely eradicating the virus from the respiratory tract and elsewhere. Still, the virus is almost certainly spread much more effectively by those who cough/sneeze than asymptomatic individuals.

Natural immunity is likely to be more potent than that induced by vaccines, so if you were actually infected YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread