What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3.23.20 - How Close To Normal Stock Levels Is Your Grocery? (1 Viewer)

Overall - How Close To Normal Stock Levels Is Your Grocery?

• 100% normal stock level

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 90% normal stock level

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 80% normal stock level

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • 70% normal stock level

Votes: 33 24.6%
  • 60% normal stock level

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • 50% normal stock level

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • 40% normal stock level

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • 30% normal stock level

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • 20% normal stock level

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • 10% normal stock level

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
My wife managed to get to a local Publix and grab a 12 pack of TP. They're limiting sales to one per household.

I work at a supermarket in Rhode Island and I take a quick walk around the store everyday to see what's come in. Here's what Ive noticed.

Business was insane but has really slowed down the last 2 days.  

Items I haven't seen come in recently. TP, paper towels,  Lysol and Lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, Ibuprofen, Tylenol and cleaning supplies. 

Frozen foods is a disaster. We get this product from a different warehouse and have received  2 loads since this started instead of our normal 5. Waffles , veggies, fries and pizza are empty.

We get less than 1/2 our egg order and they're gone in a day.

Milk and bread are not an issue.

We get most varieties of chicken and beef in but get there early if you want it because its a limited quantity.

Looks like we get a decent variety of produce but again, get in there early to get what you want. 

Very limited variety of pasta, soup, canned veggies, rice, pasta sauce, canned tomatoes and water. 

The deli seems to have plenty of product. 

Just made a run to New Seasons here in PDX. They have their #### together. They used to have two big double sliding doors for both coming and going. Now one is clearly for entering and one for exiting. They are washing and sanitizing carts for you to use when you walk inside. No more bring your own bags. They have large orange dots at the checkouts, deli, meat another other counters where you need to stand six feet away from other customers.  They also put up big plexiglass windshields on the scanner / POS to protect the clerk scanning the groceries. As far as food goes, pretty much everything was in stock except toilet paper.  Produce was full, meats were about half full.  Lot's of other staples like canned goods were about 1/3 full.  And this was 20 minutes after they opened today.

Went to the local grocery store this morning for the first time in about 1 1/2 weeks.  I went in right after the "elderly shopping hour", so it was early in the day.  I was primarily going for fresh produce.  Fortunately, the produce department was in pretty good shape.  Most everything in stock.  Other areas of the store were not so good.  They did have some TP on the shelf with a limit of 1 package per customer.  Meats were pretty thin...also had limits on those purchases.  I didn't really need any though.  Frozen goods were probably around 30% of what is normally there, with several items completely gone.  Eggs were completely wiped out (sadly since this was one of the things I wanted).  Plenty of milk, but butter was wiped out, at least the real stuff.  Dry goods were hit or miss.  Plenty of some things...wiped out of other things.  Canned foods were available, but definitely thin stock on the shelves.  Outside of the eggs and butter, I was able to get everything I needed, but there were clearly shortages in many areas.

Detroit suburbs.  We went out on Saturday and like everyone else, no paper products to be found.

We were able to pretty much find everything else we needed and were quite happy about it.  Lines were short as well.  The y had dozens of frozen Turkeys at Aldi so we decided to have a nice thanksgiving dinner Sunday with all the fixins and have good leftovers for a few days after.

Today however is day one of the state lockdown and I heard everyone ran to the grocery store yesterday when it was announced so I imagine things are a little more dire today

See ... I can understand a single store being out of paper products. I don't know how it gets to the point of an entire town and all 20+ of its retailers being out of paper products.

I mean, are there pictures on social media of people showing off their garages full of TP and paper towels? I topped off to a month's worth of paper towels the night the NBA cancelled their season (3/11) ... and I've been looking to top off again since this past Saturday. I found a few rolls at the local Dollar General last Saturday and a few more rolls there this morning.

I found out when the next stock of paper is coming in by asking staff at both the local Dollar General and at our closest major grocery store. Paper products are coming in tomorrow morning at the grocery, mid-day Friday at Dollar General.

Stop & shop I go to had store brand tp & pt , plenty of meat and dairy but frozen was wiped out. 
the tp & pt were 2 8 packs a person 

See ... I can understand a single store being out of paper products. I don't know how it gets to the point of an entire town and all 20+ of its retailers being out of paper products.

I mean, are there pictures on social media of people showing off their garages full of TP and paper towels? I topped off to a month's worth of paper towels the night the NBA cancelled their season (3/11) ... and I've been looking to top off again since this past Saturday. I found a few rolls at the local Dollar General last Saturday and a few more rolls there this morning.

I found out when the next stock of paper is coming in by asking staff at both the local Dollar General and at our closest major grocery store. Paper products are coming in tomorrow morning at the grocery, mid-day Friday at Dollar General.
What do you do with all the paper towels? I would estimate that 1 months worth of paper towels is about a half roll for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never understood why these doomsday hoarding idiots started stock piling everything anyway, especially toilet paper. But no, the extremists for some reason want to try and look smarter than everyone else, when in actuality it's quite the opposite.

south side of Indy - just came back from 2 stores. Depends on the area -

fresh fruit and veggie area - pretty much full at both places

meat - kroger had plenty of beef choices other than hamburger but all the chicken was gone. mass packaged deli section - bare. meijer had very slim pickings of either.

cheese - nice cheese counter - loaded. cheese slices and shredded cheese, etc - bare at kroger, plenty at meijer. 

canned soup, veggies, beans, etc -  pretty slim pickings both places. 

My wife managed to get to a local Publix and grab a 12 pack of TP. They're limiting sales to one per household.
Went to my local Publix on the SE side of Tampa (Riverview) last Thursday and they were doing the same thing. Line was 30 deep a half hour before it opened. 60 deep when it opened.  Place was totally picked over except for produce which is what I went for anyway. I've driven by a few times since and there's always a huge line. Glad they're opening up for Seniors early. 

I'm a in suburb of Dallas and I'm fairly well stocked on groceries.  Wife sent me to Kroger last night for 3 items. Coke Zero, tomato sauce and flour. Came back with just the Coke Zero.

Got to say I was not counting on a tomato sauce and flour run.

I'm a in suburb of Dallas and I'm fairly well stocked on groceries.  Wife sent me to Kroger last night for 3 items. Coke Zero, tomato sauce and flour. Came back with just the Coke Zero.

Got to say I was not counting on a tomato sauce and flour run.
Pizza joints gotta stay open 

Cleaning Supplies, Rice, Pasta, Ground Beef, Chicken, Paper Products are gone everywhere. To get TP you need to wait in lines at 6AM to have a shot that they received a truck the evening before. 

In California on last Wednesday it was an interesting experience of demographics. I live more in the foothills and have a general population with an older demographic, like old money old. Where I work has a more rural low income demo. The two location's supplies depleted at different rates. The rural low income area had all cereals, breads, white flour,  white sugar, canola oil, all frozen meals, cow milk, beef, fish, pork, chicken, spam, bacon, lunch meats, sausage, and any other meat variety was gone.

In my home area only chicken, ground beef, canned veggies, cheap canned soup,  cow/almond/soy milks, tv dinners, and other older name brand staples were empty.

Fruits and Veggies in both locations were in the 85% stock range.

People are creatures of habit. Also if we don't get a ton more TP up in the hills here soon, there's going to be an old person anarchy as the ones I have talked to on the phone(family, friends just checking in) say they are not changing their use habits to ration. 😕

Some of you might live in an area where you can get fresh produce from the actual farms directly or you might be able to even pay a certain amount of money and fill up a basket with all the fruits and veggies you can fit inside, it's true.

Another great source here in Florida are the orange groves, Indian River you can drive in there and grab a case of oranges or citrus and plenty of other stuff like nuts from Georgia are usually stock piled in there. 

I found bottled water when I was at Total Wines...wasn't the cheapest I'ver ever paid for 2 cases but it made me feel alright about not having to smash and pack into the grocery stores early begging for essentials.

Eating healthier since not eating out, eating a lot of food at home with a lot less ingredients than when I'm grab n go.  

Ministry of Pain said:
One thing we have working against us here in Florida is even with things shutdown there are lots and lots of people entering Florida every hour on the hour and the half hour from NY and NJ and they are bringing all their CV-19 germs with them. I can't say I blame them for wanting to GTH outta there for a while since it is a hot spot for the Virus. Seems like people in these lockdown areas shouldn't be allowed to fly to other parts of the country at the moment. 
Agree, areas that are hotter than others should restrict travel out of state -- but to be fair:

1. Even if you shut down NY, WA, and FL states, and even assuming some degree of leakage across state lines regardless, there are likely so many undiagnosed cased in the US thanks to slow response and lack of testing and data transparency that restricting movement across "hotter" states is likely to do nothing
  2. FLA isn't doing themselves any favors by not taking more of an aggressive stance around closing beaches, hot spots where tons of people gather for Spring Break, etc. I really feel for business owners in FLA as would imagine for many, the vast bulk of their yearly income comes from times like Spring Break. But choosing to help businesses in the short term by not taking a more aggressive stance sacrifices near and long term physical health and safety of everyone. It's not just the germs comin into FLA, it's also germs going out by visitors who may be infected while there.
To be clear, this isn't a knock on just FLA -- every state is struggling with these decisions, and the lack of coordinated decisive action now -- at both municipal, state, federal, and other levels (including the right funding and resources) -- is only contributing in extending the peak of whatever curve trajectory we may be on right now. I worry that because of this, things are still going to get a lot, lot worse before we even see a glimmer of hope of turning the corner. 

Instacart has been awesome. May never go back. Got an order scheduled for Friday morning. Just go online and add stuff to the list whenever I want.  :thumbup:
Downside is the substitution if selected of things they are out of stock.  It is great to avoid going out for sure and for many items it works fine.  For the things in high demand...it, like going to the store, is hit or miss Ive heard.  Have not used it yet during this...but friends and family across TN have said there have been things either substituted or omitted due to being out of stock.  My experience with them was before this and found a few things would get subbed (if I allowed substitutions) to some things not necessarily what I was wanting.  I looked the other day and was about to set up one where it was better than the last time I used it where you could select what the substitution might be...but even some of those things were possibly high demand items and not in stock too.

Agree, areas that are hotter than others should restrict travel out of state -- but to be fair:

1. Even if you shut down NY, WA, and FL states, and even assuming some degree of leakage across state lines regardless, there are likely so many undiagnosed cased in the US thanks to slow response and lack of testing and data transparency that restricting movement across "hotter" states is likely to do nothing
  2. FLA isn't doing themselves any favors by not taking more of an aggressive stance around closing beaches, hot spots where tons of people gather for Spring Break, etc. I really feel for business owners in FLA as would imagine for many, the vast bulk of their yearly income comes from times like Spring Break. But choosing to help businesses in the short term by not taking a more aggressive stance sacrifices near and long term physical health and safety of everyone. It's not just the germs comin into FLA, it's also germs going out by visitors who may be infected while there.
To be clear, this isn't a knock on just FLA -- every state is struggling with these decisions, and the lack of coordinated decisive action now -- at both municipal, state, federal, and other levels (including the right funding and resources) -- is only contributing in extending the peak of whatever curve trajectory we may be on right now. I worry that because of this, things are still going to get a lot, lot worse before we even see a glimmer of hope of turning the corner. 
Let me update you on what is happening here in Palm Beach/South Florida...I don't know of a beach in those 3 Counties that is open right now but I could be wrong. All of the people took to their boats so they shut up all the marinas and boat access points in Palm Beach County, must have a Comm Fish Lic to get your boat out on the water right now. 

When I say the beaches are closed, they literally have wood pieces nailed in front of the entrances, huge CV-19 signs, it happened faster than some want to give the Gov credit. It's a tough spot for all of them, I've been pretty complimentary of Cuomo in New York, think he is keeping a stiff upper lip and saying the right things mostly. I haven't kept up on California as much as I would like, used to live in Santa Monica, appreciate your updates form whichever area you are there. 

Cheers

Let me update you on what is happening here in Palm Beach/South Florida...I don't know of a beach in those 3 Counties that is open right now but I could be wrong. All of the people took to their boats so they shut up all the marinas and boat access points in Palm Beach County, must have a Comm Fish Lic to get your boat out on the water right now. 

When I say the beaches are closed, they literally have wood pieces nailed in front of the entrances, huge CV-19 signs, it happened faster than some want to give the Gov credit. It's a tough spot for all of them, I've been pretty complimentary of Cuomo in New York, think he is keeping a stiff upper lip and saying the right things mostly. I haven't kept up on California as much as I would like, used to live in Santa Monica, appreciate your updates form whichever area you are there. 

Cheers
Great to know, thanks for the update and info. In tracking this in the news, the action across FLA seemed more reactive (literally in the last few days)  to criticism of local officials keeping beaches open. I am sure the response and action was highly variable from county to county, with many being more proactive than others.

Which is also the point I was making -- a much more coordinated effort is needed across county/state/countries. It's easy to criticize, I know, given myriad complexity in tackling this issue, but I am not sure I am seeing great coordinated effort in this country. It's harder to approach measures in a more authoritarian way in the US compared to say, China, but honestly a little more authoritative stance -- one that might restrict some of the freedoms we take for granted (freedom of movement, congregation, pursuit of economic benefits, etc.) -- is likely one that will only help stem continued exponential trajectory of spread.

What do you do with all the paper towels? I would estimate that 1 months worth of paper towels is about a half roll for me?
All kinds of stuff. The frequent hand-washing puts a huge dent in the supply.

(Not a cloth kitchen towel fan ... in my mind, those things are super-dirty and not fit for constant re-use. I'm weird like that.)

Between my wife and me, we have been in three grocery stores since Friday and cannot find yeast.  Everything else that we care about is fully stocked, but yeast is completely sold out everywhere.  Not a big deal because who really cares, but that's incredibly strange.

You have a much better chance in the morning if its a Wal-Mart, Meijer (super store type), They require early morning/overnight delivery.  The smaller grocery stores usually get their orders later in the day (9AM and after), so its better to check a little later in the day.  
#4 Largest grocery chain in the US.

No chance I am going in the morning.  All the crazies/fearfuls are out then.

4pm today - quiet, chill, shopped in peace and found most anything I wanted.  I believe I had to go with non air chilled chicken breasts.  They were out of fruit loops.

Also noticed yesterday that while TP is perma out at the grocery store, the CVS across the street is completely full on the shelf.  :lmao:

IvanKaramazov said:
Between my wife and me, we have been in three grocery stores since Friday and cannot find yeast.  Everything else that we care about is fully stocked, but yeast is completely sold out everywhere.  Not a big deal because who really cares, but that's incredibly strange.
People panic bought that and flour to bake bread.  

matuski said:
Also noticed yesterday that while TP is perma out at the grocery store, the CVS across the street is completely full on the shelf.  :lmao:
Was in CVS yesterday and noticed that too 

Doug B said:
Same here. I mean, are the first 200-300 shoppers in every store every day buying TP and paper towels? And nothing is ever restocked in the paper sections until overnight?
Yes. I went to a Publix over the weekend at around 8:30am (they open at 8)...as I was walking in I saw a few people leaving with TP in their carts and thought I was in luck. Went inside and was told they JUST ran out, and the next truck would be Monday morning. I got up Monday got there at 7:50, and was about 20th in line waiting for them to open. When I got inside, they had a couple of employees handing out one package per person. I got a 12 pack, grabbed a few other things and was put the door by 8:08. They were just almost ou of TP as I was walking out the door.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, I had to run to Walgreens for some things and I noticed the TP aisle was stocked petty well, and there was only maybe 5 other people in the store, and 2 of them were grabbing the limit of 2 packs of TP. I could have grabbed some but I'm all set for another week or 2. So note to self - when I get low again, I'll try Walgreens first.

IvanKaramazov said:
Read the other day about a recent trend of people watching YouTube videos on how to make bread at home...apparently people are stocking up on yeast, flour, etc in case there's a bread shortage.

And good luck finding Tylenol since it's been reported that ibuprofen is not good to take if you have Covid19.

Users who are viewing this thread