What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

It's not clear to me if Eephus is posting or we're skipping him per his request.  I'm eager to get my pick in right after that Bad Brains selection (an OH favorite, by the way) just for the contrast.  :lmao:  

I'm reaching back into that 1996-2002 timeframe again when, as I mentioned, I was at my height of new-music discovery.  This was another favorite of all the cool kids in Chicago.  I'd never heard anything like it, and despite attempts at comparisons over the years, I still don't know another artist that sounds like this.  I read this review today that I thought summed it up awfully well.

11.25 - Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (1996)

Seeing Other People - This was the first song of theirs I ever heard - yes, on a mixtape from a Chicago musician - and is still my favorite

Judy and the Dream of Horses - I'm taking this one for my mom, who's a Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear to God I was thinking the other night that nobody -- I mean nobody -- that I've seen has taken Belle and Sebastian in any draft I've been a part of.

Color that mystery finished and put to bed. 
I like them but probably don't love them enough to draft them here. I think I put one of their albums top 5 in a year end poll though. 

I doubt Krista was the only one considering them. 

It's not clear to me if Eephus is posting or we're skipping him per his request.  I'm eager to get my pick in right after that Bad Brains selection (an OH favorite, by the way) just for the contrast.  :lmao:  

I'm reaching back into that 1996-2002 timeframe again when, as I mentioned, I was at my height of new-music discovery.  This was another favorite of all the cool kids in Chicago.  I'd never heard anything like it, and despite attempts at comparisons over the years, I still don't know another artist that sounds like this.  I read this review today that I thought summed it up awfully well.

Seeing Other People - This was the first song of theirs I ever heard - yes, on a mixtape from a Chicago musician - and is still my favorite

Judy and the Dream of Horses - I'm taking this one for my mom, who's a Judy
Love them but they are another band I don't know albums from. I got into them during the days of illegally downloading music so you just downloaded whatever songs you could find. I would search Belle and Sebastian on Napster and download whatever came up. I need to check this album out on Spotify. 

I swear to God I was thinking the other night that nobody -- I mean nobody -- that I've seen has taken Belle and Sebastian in any draft I've been a part of.

Color that mystery finished and put to bed. 
That's interesting.  I didn't look at the prior Island draft and haven't participated in as many as some of you have.  I wasn't sure this would be on anyone else's radar but after that Ben Folds fiasco :-)shakestinyfistintheair:), I realized I have no idea and shouldn't risk it.

That's interesting.  I didn't look at the prior Island draft and haven't participated in as many as some of you have.  I wasn't sure this would be on anyone else's radar but after that Ben Folds fiasco :-)shakestinyfistintheair:), I realized I have no idea and shouldn't risk it.
Yeah, it's just weird that I either missed it with all the drafts I do, or that it never stood out to me when I've been looking for it. Without too much stereotyping, I figured if any crowd, this would be the one on the board to talk about them.

As far as Ben Folds goes, everything is heavy underground. I also like Ben Folds and almost took them in the 5-10-15 draft but I think Hov34 did that for me. 

Love them but they are another band I don't know albums from. I got into them during the days of illegally downloading music so you just downloaded whatever songs you could find. I would search Belle and Sebastian on Napster and download whatever came up. I need to check this album out on Spotify. 
This album is super lo-fi and honestly kind of poorly engineered in spots.  If you listened more to their later stuff, you'll see that difference.  But the songs are glorious, and it's remained my favorite of theirs even though I could see an argument for a couple of others being technically better.

Yeah, it's just weird that I either missed it with all the drafts I do, or that it never stood out to me when I've been looking for it. Without too much stereotyping, I figured if any crowd, this would be the one on the board to talk about them.  
I'm glad to have broken this seal!  :)  

Kind of in the same boat. There are songs of theirs I love, and I dig their whole vibe, but I'd be fronting if I said I was super familiar with their albums - which is something that struck me as I was putting my list together and I mean to address it.  :thumbup:

PICK 11.21

TRICK OF THE TAIL - GENESIS (1976)

SONGS

- DANCE ON A VOLCANO

- SQUONK

Love Peter Gabriel, but this is my favorite Genesis album ...the first one without him ...weird.  It still sounds a lot like the band when he was there.  This album represents Miami of Ohio dorm life/college dorm life to me.  Takes me instantly back ...but I also think the music itself still stands strong today. 

It's a top 5 in our house and really is best played in its entirety.  
My gimmick kept me from it, but it's easily my favorite prog, and maybe top five here too. I would have went with Ripples and Trick...

they got no horns and they go no tails

My first 33.34%  of picks

1. Van Morrison- Astral Weeks 60s
  2. Talking Heads- Stop Making Sense 80s 
  3. White Stripes- White Blood Cells  00s
  4. Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde  60s
  5. Carole King- Tapestry  70s 
  6. MGMT- Oracular Spectacular 
  7. Patti Smith- Horses 70s
  8. James Brown and the Famous Flames- Live at the Apollo 60s
  9. Arctic Monkeys- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not 00s
  10. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois 00s

My first 33.34%  of picks

1. Van Morrison- Astral Weeks 60s
  2. Talking Heads- Stop Making Sense 80s 
  3. White Stripes- White Blood Cells  00s
  4. Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde  60s
  5. Carole King- Tapestry  70s 
  6. MGMT- Oracular Spectacular 
  7. Patti Smith- Horses 70s
  8. James Brown and the Famous Flames- Live at the Apollo 60s
  9. Arctic Monkeys- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not 00s
  10. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois 00s
Not loving 80s much IMO

The Courtney Barnett pick made me think of the decade draft we just had, and that got me thinking about this one, which, as I mentioned in that thread, I loved immediately. (Thanks, GB  :suds: ) Gonna give it another spin soon as I get the chance.  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Awesome - thanks.   Love these drafts for introducing albums and songs to each other that we hadn't heard and fall in love with.     

if Joe clips me I'll send in the rest of my picks via bottle

Cocks definitely used to be ##### 🐔

All right, I will be honest - I wasn't too upset with Nigel for taking that Pumpkins because it's a very close toss up which album I like more, so I will just take the other one.  As I said with the Nirvana pick, I really wasn't into them in the 90s (still not now).  My bands in HS were Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden.   Although Billy is a bit of a tool and the albums started to dip with the bloated double album, IMO both of the first 2 are great and honestly I probably listen to this one more now anyway.  

10.40? :  SMASHING PUMPKINS - GISH (1991)

Bury Me

Snail

For the next one, I will go with another album that I probably talk about to much in the last few years and have drafted from a few times now.  My wife and I have seen them live 4 times now.  Each of the 1st 3 times we saw them it was us going to see another band and they happen to be opening.  All 3 times, despite maybe not having the best "show", we walked away liking their music a bit more than who we were going to see in the first place.  4th time was to specifically see them, and since seeing them the first couple times this album has been in the rotation constantly.   I doubt this was on people's radar, but how many times has that been said during this draft already?

11.01:  LORD HURON - STRANGE TRAILS (2015)

Meet Me in the Woods 

Dead Man's Hand
Updated with song selections

Users who are viewing this thread