What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

11.32 All Eyez On Me by 2Pac (1996)

There are 2 or 3 celebrity deaths I remember from my early teen years: Kurt Cobain and Tupac. Kids coming to school crying, the gossip of what "really happened", the total shock that ran through the students and the total bewilderment from the teachers who had probably never heard of either. I was a white Catholic school kid from the suburbs, but the themes of loyalty to friends, distrust of authority, anger and hopes for a better world despite being kind of a #### really made a lot of sense for us. Pac isn't the most gifted rapper, he doesn't have a big bag of tricks. His music works because of it's raw authenticity and his total commitment to every track. 

Life Goes On

California Love
We had a group of friends who used to share headphones w the kid in our middle school class who brought this to school when it dropped every morning. Either we didn't have the means to buy the cd or had parents who were advised by white and black sign on the front of the cd case. Couldnt get to school early enough to bump some pac on crappy headphones. First time I remember an album dropping feeling like a momentous event

Let's play a game.  If you had to (and you do) pick just 5 albums from the first round (only) that you could take with you on another desert island, what would they be. 

Oh, and you can't take your own pick.

Go!

Ok, no longer waiting on this one:

Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret (1999)

Bought this on a bit of a whim when it came out. I was just starting my record collection and was drawn to the cover. I had heard of them, but wasn't really sure what I was getting into. The record store guy gave me a "hell yeah" like we were in the same club now. I brought it home and played it for my roommates, who all have good to great taste in music, and they didn't get it. I was hooked though. 

Carry The Zero

You Were Right

Let's play a game.  If you had to (and you do) pick just 5 albums from the first round (only) that you could take with you on another desert island, what would they be. 

Go!
  1. Pet Sounds 
  2. Kind of Blue
  3. Nirvana Unplugged
  4. Funeral 
  5. Rumours 

Go!
London Calling

The Bends

Physical Graffitti

Synchronicity

The Red Headed Stranger

Just missing the cut:

Nevermind

Pet Sounds

Bought this on a bit of a whim when it came out. I was just starting my record collection and was drawn to the cover. I had heard of them, but wasn't really sure what I was getting into. The record store guy gave me a "hell yeah" like we were in the same club now. I brought it home and played it for my roommates, who all have good to great taste in music, and they didn't get it. I was hooked though. 

Carry The Zero

You Were Right
Are you following me on Spotify?  Just finished listening to this.

This is a great band.

Go!
Dark side of the moon

Rumors

Nirvana Unplugged 

Physical Graffiti 

Ziggy 

Carry The Zero

You Were Right
Boom. Awesome album. 

Go!
I’ll get in on this later. Good question 

Carry The Zero

You Were Right
This one isn't on Spotify in Canada and as a result I haven't listened to it recently but I love it. And those would have been the songs I'd go with as well.

Go!
This was harder than I thought it would be.

Ok Computer

Rumours

Innervisions

Boston

Rubber Soul

Carry The Zero

You Were Right
I got into this from one of the old music threads.  Really good album - love the name/song checking in YWR.

Carry The Zero

You Were Right
"Carry the Zero" was the one that first hooked me. Pretty sure it was you who took it in the '90s mixtape draft.  :suds:

Go!
Television    -    Marquee Moon
Arcade Fire    -    Funeral
LCD Soundsystem    -    Sound of Silver
Radiohead    -    The Bends
U2    -    The Joshua Tree

Go!
Pink Floyd    -    Dark Side of the Moon
Arcade Fire    -    Funeral
David Bowie    -    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Radiohead    -    OK Computer
Led Zeppelin    -    Physical Graffiti

Go!
I'll play:

Kind Of Blue

Exile

OK Computer

White Album

Funeral

I'd sub out Funeral if there was a Dylan album in there.

11.32 All Eyez On Me by 2Pac (1996)

There are 2 or 3 celebrity deaths I remember from my early teen years: Kurt Cobain and Tupac. Kids coming to school crying, the gossip of what "really happened", the total shock that ran through the students and the total bewilderment from the teachers who had probably never heard of either. I was a white Catholic school kid from the suburbs, but the themes of loyalty to friends, distrust of authority, anger and hopes for a better world despite being kind of a #### really made a lot of sense for us. Pac isn't the most gifted rapper, he doesn't have a big bag of tricks. His music works because of it's raw authenticity and his total commitment to every track. 

Life Goes On

California Love
I've heard Bomani Jones argue on occasion that it's hard to have a "who's better" discussion with Pac fans because it goes beyond his rapping skills to them - and even beyond his music, period. It's about Pac as an entity. And yeah, that definitely stems from his passion and the way he put himself out there.

Go!
1) Boston - Boston (Since it was sniped! Thanks Mrs. R!)
2) Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
3) Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
4) The Clash - London Calling
5) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Go!
-Kind of Blue
-Marquee Moon
-Sound of Silver
-OK Computer
and
-Astral Weeks (tough call between this and Purple Rain)

Never even had a shot at the first three.  :ph34r:

I've heard Bomani Jones argue on occasion that it's hard to have a "who's better" discussion with Pac fans because it goes beyond his rapping skills to them - and even beyond his music, period. It's about Pac as an entity. And yeah, that definitely stems from his passion and the way he put himself out there.
For sure. I am not a die hard 2Pac fan or anything but he has a presence and an attitude that trumped any technical skills other rappers had. He was just so raw. He spoke about some really deep things in such a blunt manner but was also a thug. It's the contradictions of him that are so interesting. 

He's also requested to be on skip. I'm pretty sure he meant permanently, too. That's sort of how he does.

I'm up with the pick, anyway. I won't be sniping him with this one.
Makes sense. I just didn't see it so I don't want to agitate anyone. I am sure CIA would be cool with us moving ahead though. 

Round 11.38 - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde - The Pharcyde (1992)

Let's take a hop and skip over to Los Angeles, California before we sojourn our way back to New York proper. If there was a Native Tongue West, these guys would have been on it. A surprise from late '92 when everything West just seemed to be coming around to keyboards and synths so that samples didn't have to be cleared. This was released to immediate underground acclaim, destined to be a relic due to its timing and its sensibilities, which were less than hardcore. This could qualify as my most listened to album ever because I wore this thing out at my then-girlfriend (and now long-time friend) Shelley's recommendation. Heeded wonderfully and in camaraderie. For those that might get it, she wasn't passing me by. 

To pick two tracks is nearly impossible, but here goes

Ya Mama

Passin' Me By

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread