What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

I was going to listen to a bunch of Primus in advance of Bonnaroo this summer, no need now :(
I'm supposed to be in Dublin right now. That is after watching Peter Hook and the Light play Joy Division's discography in their hometown on the anniversary of Ian Curtis's death and then watching Manchester United play Leicester City on the last day of the Premier League.

It hurts to type that out.  :cry:

He was no more than a baby then
Well he seemed broken hearted
Something within him
But the moment that I first laid
Eyes on him all alone
On the edge of seventeen

Havana Affair by The Ramones: a lot of this straightforward 70s punk sound just does not work for me 

There is a Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths: everything about this sound works for me

Two Hearts Collide by Level 42:  I couldn’t possibly know less about what this is. I need an explanation on this. 

Fell on Black Days LIVE by Chris Cornell: I hadn’t ever heard this version, really good stuff 

Starship Trooper….. By Yes: A 10 minute Yes song? My god this is testing my patience...now 2 minutes in and I feel like Yes is trying to apply a rear naked choke, I am resisting admirably….oh god Yes applies an armbar at the five minute mark and I tap. 

One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket: such a great sound 

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's play a game.  If you had to (and you do) pick just 5 albums from the first round (only) that you could take with you on another desert island, what would they be. 

Oh, and you can't take your own pick.

Go!
***Unofficial Results***  (so far)

1. Ziggy, OK Computer (6 votes)

2. Kind of Blue, Rumours, Purple Rain (5 votes)

3. Funeral, Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, Physical Graffiti (4 votes)

4. Marquee Moon, Dark Side, London Calling, Sound of Silver, Joshua Tree, Innervisions, Nevermind, Exile (3 votes)

5. White Album, Nirvana Unplugged, The Bends, Boston (2 votes)

6. Animals, Songs in the Key of Life, Psychocandy, Prine, Synchronicity, Astral Weeks, Rage, Willie (1 vote)

I have this mix a little loud and think my neighbors could be wondering WTF.

I knew I wouldn't get to pick Joy Division early enough but love it.

I was surprised by Bob Mould going before his band, but forgot what a pop joy "See A Little Light" is.  I think I'm adding it to my revered "Thirteen" playlist, which is my favorite songs and is named for the first song I put on the list (although it is not even my favorite Big Star song).

I have this mix a little loud and think my neighbors could be wondering WTF.

I knew I wouldn't get to Joy Division early enough but love it.

I was surprised by Bob Mould going before his band, but forgot what a pop joy "See A Little Light" is.  I think I'm adding it to my revered "Thirteen" playlist, which is my favorite songs and is named for the first song I put on the list (although it is not even my favorite Big Star song).
Did I pick it?!

I've always loved Leonard's deepened voice in his older years. It seems to fit the mood of his music. I also think his live shows bring out the life in his music.

Round 12

Live in London - Leonard Cohen (2009)

Dance Me To the End of Love

Closing Time

Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
And the band is really happening
And the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
And my very sweet companion
She's the angel of compassion
She's rubbing half the world against her thigh  
😲

I've always loved Leonards deepened voice in his older years. It seems to fit the mood of his music. I also think his live shows bring out the life in his music.

Round 12

Live in London - Leonard Cohen (2009)

Dance Me To the End of Love

Closing Time

Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
And the band is really happening
And the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
And my very sweet companion
She's the angel of compassion
She's rubbing half the world against her thigh  
😲
Certainly on my list, but not my next pick.  You're slipping!

I agree regarding loving his voice in the later years.  :heart:  

1    .    1    Karma Police    -    Pink Floyd    -    Animals
1    .    10    Steve Tasker    -    Fleetwood Mac    -    Rumours
1    .    14    Charlie Steiner    -    The Beatles    -    Rubber Soul
1    .    30    rcam    -    Nirvana    -    Nevermind
1    .    31    Hov34    -    Prince     -    Purple Rain

my 1st rd 5

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant - Joel:  Classic piano man.

The Bells of Rhymney - The Byrds:  sounds like an extended version of Turn (not a bad thing)

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' - VU: So good.

Ripple - Dead:  :unsure:

I Know You Got Soul - Eric B. & Rakim:  Can't say no to old Skool rap.

Generation Landslide - Alice Cooper:  Not really familiar, mostly know the "hits" from Alice.  Liked!

Underwear - Pulp:  Wasn't familiar, if it have been after the Velvet Underground song I would have thought there were from the same album. Liked

Searching With My Good Eye - Soundgarden:  Good if not a little screamy

Skew It on the Bar-B - Outkast:  Love ALT rap/hipity hop

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel (Bush):  Wish I had drafted this :kicksrock:

It almost doesn't make sense for me to comment on this latest shuffle because it's going to all songs I already love (only one I picked)

• Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks - all time classic
  • Electric Feel - MGMT  - Sounds great in the mix
  • The Wild KIndness - Silver Jews - I was probably least familiar with this of the bunch but it's great
  • Saint Simon - The Shins - amazing
  • New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down - LCD Soundsystem - on many days my favourite LCD Soundsystem song
  • Almost Had to Start a Fight - Parquet Courts - My favourite album this year it was released
  • Foxy Lady - Jimi Hendrikx - another classic
  • Unsatisfied - The Replacements - long standing member of my favourites playlist
  • Wake Up - Arcade Fire - from my 1st round pick, enough said.
  • I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding - SOOOOOOOOOUL

Here are, in no particular order, my current SODs (I didn't consider anything in the first three rounds nor anything that OH or I drafted):

4.09 – Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde

4.35 – Jimi Hendrix – Are You Experienced

6.05 – Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison

6.29 – The Wrens – Meadowlands

6.38 – Miles Davis – #####es Brew

7.26 – Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

8.01 – Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True

8.02 – REM - Reckoning

8.09 – James Brown – Live at the Apollo

8.40 – Soundgarden – Superunknown

10.20 – The Who – Live at Leeds

11.06 – XTC - Skylarking

Actually I guess those are in a particular order.

MAC_32 said:
11.34 Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)

I get it - know your demo's. But the best thrash metal of all time in round 11. I spose I can cross-off consider getting cute with your Metallica selection from the list.

Battery

Master of Puppets

Should really beef up that long song shtick too  :thumbup:

@RedmondLonghorn
My favorite album by my second favorite band. God I love Metallica.   It never gets old even though I have.  Don’t know how you chose two songs from that album.   Had to be challenging.    Rock on.  

simey said:
It is raining so hard out. There is a retention pond that has gold fish in it, and whenever consecutive days of rain or a big storm comes through, it overflows into this small area with dirt and grass, and the gold fish spill over and get stuck.  Once the water recedes in a few days they are doomed. It is going to rain until Saturday. I know I shouldn't do it with all this weird health stuff going on, but I'm sure I'll be out there Saturday with a tank net and rain boots scooping them up to toss them back into the retention pond so they don't die. I need to put something in that section that has small holes where the water can get through, but not the fish. We'll see. I'd get my friend Steve to help, but he hasn't been practicing social distancing, so I don't want him near me.  :lol:
####### Simey....you are an inspiration.

My favorite album by my second favorite band. God I love Metallica.   It never gets old even though I have.  Don’t know how you chose two songs from that album.   Had to be challenging.    Rock on.  
Battery was always one, but I waffled on the other throughout the day. Wish I had given it a full listen before today. Just didn't think it would not go drafted to this point, especially after Justice went so early. But this isn't a draft full of metal heads. 

krista4 said:
Here are, in no particular order, my current SODs (I didn't consider anything in the first three rounds nor anything that OH or I drafted):

8.02 – REM - Reckoning

11.06 – XTC - Skylarking

Posts above reminded me to add 11.34 Metallica, Master of Puppets, to this list.

krista4 said:

8.02 – REM - Reckoning

11.06 – XTC - Skylarking

Some headscratchers in there for sure. There is one (well a few actually) that I'm surprised are still out there, but I keep passing so  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread