What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

Rd 24.9 Ellington at Newport by Duke Ellington (1956)

This will be the 1999 re-release where they were able to reconstruct the entire concert. When it was recorded in '56, there were technical issues like guys solos into the wrong microphones, etc. So they re-recorded parts of it at the studio to piece it together. It was first released in 56 with just some selections from the concert. Huge album though. In '56, Duke and the rest of the big bands were basically extinct. Swing and big band was passe. But this album became a big hit and Ellington was back in the American conscientiousness. He would stay a relevant musical and cultural presence for the remainder of his life. I really need it because Duke is amazing and it's one of the rare actual swing albums from the artists of the swing era. 

Take the "A" Train

Jeep's Blues 
did I miss your 23.32 pick?

Round 24 The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen (1973)

I first considered drafting this as early as Round 3, but just kept passing for some reason, but now I'll hop on my favorite Bruce record. As of this upcoming weekend I will officially be a resident of Asbury Park, so I guess I'll have to really step up my Boss love.

Incident on 57th Street

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
congrats and good luck on the move!

If anyone DOES like a little bit of guitar Wankery,  (unlike @Northern Voice ) this is what I will be playing as I mow.  It was on the anniversary of the moon landing.  This was their second set.

Wankery for NV

The songs were The Very Moon, Moon Theme (Duck Tales), Lunar Pursuit, The Very Moon (end), Astronaut, Spacebirdmatingcall, Astronaut (end), and Wet.  They did a cool version of Blondies Rap#### in set one. 

Round 24 The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen (1973)

I first considered drafting this as early as Round 3, but just kept passing for some reason, but now I'll hop on my favorite Bruce record. As of this upcoming weekend I will officially be a resident of Asbury Park, so I guess I'll have to really step up my Boss love.

Incident on 57th Street

This one hurts.  My favorite Springsteen record.  I pivoted off of it like six rounds ago figuring nobody wanted it.  Incident in my favorite Boss tune.

speaking of 3 chords, but lacking production value...

I'm missing my 21..

21.... Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand (eta- 1994)

tractor rape chain

I am a scientist (school mate of floppinho's- the only other percussionist- at the special music school's dad is in a band called "we are scientists"... I keep forgetting to ask him if it's from this song).

bonus- smothered in hugs. love the song, love the title.
####!  I thought this was gone---before Alien Lanes.  Another :doh:  for me.

Incident on 57th Street

what's now the famous Cask 'n Flagon across from Fenway Park was a drugstore when i was a kid but, one night coming out of a game, i heard music coming out of it and was surprised to see it as a venue (Boston's big nightclub, the Boston Tea Party, was less than a block away). people were gathering outside by the hundreds, so we hung out and listened for about an hour to some driving rock & roll. i asked around the name. turns out it was this guy doing that stuff.

Even John Lennon hated most of what McCartney wrote. 
John Lennon hated most of what John Lennon wrote, too.

Saw Lyle  a year after this record came out at the Bottom Line in NYC, MCC opened,, the late show at that time so he came out around midnight, they did two shows at the bottom line the 7pm early show and the 10 pm late show.  Came out with a big band and big hair and blew us away.  Nice pick!
I've seen him several times, and he never disappoints.  I see simey now took what I predicted 4086 rounds ago that she would take, and I'm glad.  Definitely my favorite of Lyle's albums, and what I would have taken if not for the Townes snipe.  :)   I don't know if simey chose an island, but I hope it's paddling distance from mine.

Just popping in for a quick catch up.  I know I could make a pick but am not ready right now.

A week or so ago I thought I may have a cheat code, but then I realized my memory isn’t what it once was. I thought this group released their two 2005 offerings simultaneously, so I was prepared to make a double album argument. I didn’t remember why they did it, so I needed to research – but dammit I was going to win the argument. But alas, they were released six months apart. They released them separately due to the ‘iPod generation’s diminished attention span.’ While their intention was for this to be treated as a double no matter how deep I dug in my heels I was not winning this argument. So instead I decided to just wait til both of my picks were on the clock…and pick both.

Round 23 - System of a Down, Mezmerize (2005)

Round 24 - System of a Down, Hypnotize (2005)

I restrained myself some with one selection per album, but the other on each was motivated by @RedmondLonghorn. That bizarre what the hell did I just listen to sensation that came over @Buffaloes and I listening to The Gorrilaz. I want anyone unfamiliar with these guys to experience something similar - some loving it and others somewhere between hating it and having no idea what they just listened to.

Mezmerize

Question! – Big fan of this song as it rapidly alternates between four different time signatures giving a wildly irregular, yet melodic, rhythm.

This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song – gonorrhea, gorgonzola, the fish…this thrash track's got it all

Hypnotize

Attack – album 1 intentionally opens and closes somberly, this one intentionally opens…well, the opposite.

Vicinity of Obscenity – Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Moon Theme (Duck Tales)
In all seriousness, this is possibly my favorite video game song of all-time.  Easily top 5, if not #1.  Star Light Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Fountain of Dreams theme from Super Smash Brothers Melee, Delfino Plaza theme from Super Mario Sunshine, a smattering of tracks off of Super Mario World

Incident on 57th Street

Ever since I finally pulled the double-dip trigger this one has been next at the top. If I couldn't get motivated to draft something else then it was the fall back plan. And words can't describe how thrilled I am that those are the two you picked. Bruce gets sequencing. Pitting tracks together that naturally fit. And I'm not sure there is a better example in his catalog than this duo. If Rosalita comes on I immediately turn it off and go find Incident instead. And if Incident comes on then I go find Rosalita and make sure it's next. By themselves they're both great, but together is what makes them special.

Ever since I finally pulled the double-dip trigger this one has been next at the top. If I couldn't get motivated to draft something else then it was the fall back plan. And words can't describe how thrilled I am that those are the two you picked. Bruce gets sequencing. Pitting tracks together that naturally fit. And I'm not sure there is a better example in his catalog than this duo. If Rosalita comes on I immediately turn it off and go find Incident instead. And if Incident comes on then I go find Rosalita and make sure it's next. By themselves they're both great, but together is what makes them special.
Hopefully the Spotify shuffle cooperates. 

Rd 24.9 Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderly (1958)

I could take one album that would scoop up both of the great artists still available, but it's probably not actually what I would want to listen to forever. So instead, I will take a a different killer collab: Cannonball Adderly, Miles Davis, Art Blakely, Hank Jones, Sam Jones Blue Note album.

Love For Sale

Somethin' Else

Last edited by a moderator:
Rd 24.9 Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderl

I could take one album that would scoop up both of the great artists still available, but it's probably not actually what I would want to listen to forever. So instead, I will take a a different killer collab: Cannonball Adderly, Miles Davis, Art Blakely, Hank Jones, Sam Jones Blue Note album.

Love For Sale

Somethin' Else
I love these albums that don't have release years

23.19 - Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)
There's a 40th anniversary edition of Permanent Waves coming out tonight.

The various versions of this reissue come with plenty of solid extras, but only the second (live) collection of tracks was provided by the time of review. It includes 12 previously unreleased selections from the 1980 Permanent Waves world tour. They all sound equally clear, all-encompassing, and generally good, so the superlative choices depend entirely on personal preference. That said, it’s undeniably fascinating to hear how album inclusions like “Freewill”, “Jacob’s Ladder”, and “Natural Science” compare to both their studio counterparts and earlier gems like “The Trees”, “Xanadu”, and even “By-Tor and the Snow Dog” and “A Passage to Bangkok”. In that way, the bonus disc offers listeners a fine overview of Rush’s catalog during their first decade or so.

Since this is an Album draft, gotta go again with one with a great cover. The covers were interesting in that Peter "Gabriel did not title his first four albums. All were labelled Peter Gabriel, using the same typeface, with designs by Hipgnosis. "The idea is to do it like a magazine, which will only come out once a year," he remarked in 1978. "So it's the same title, the same lettering in the same place; only the photo is different." Each album has, however, been given a nickname by fans, usually relating to the album cover."

I was impressed as I was discovering Peter Gabriel that he had released copies of his 3rd and 4th albums in German.

23 - Peter Gabriel - Melt (3) (1980)

1. And Through the Wire (Und durch den Draht)
2.  Games Without Frontiers (Spiel Ohne Grenzen)

This is the album with Biko, so I am happy to have that in my pocket, although as we have said before this is a song much better live. One song that I really like, but felt it didn't fit the playlist is Family Snapshot. It is a story of a man waiting to pull off an assassination of a politician. (background story)

Here I come baby
I'm coming to get you
Aw, foxy lady yeah yeah (Foxy)
Oh, you look so good (Foxy)
Foxy
Oh yeah (Foxy)
Aw foxy
Yeah (Foxy)
Get it, babe (Foxy)
Foxy
You make me feel like (Foxy)
Feel like saying
Foxy
Ah lady (Foxy)
Foxy (Foxy) lady
Foxy lady
Lyrics = maybe not so great. But who is going to match Jimi's guitar wizardy?

In all seriousness, this is possibly my favorite video game song of all-time.  Easily top 5, if not #1.  Star Light Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Fountain of Dreams theme from Super Smash Brothers Melee, Delfino Plaza theme from Super Mario Sunshine, a smattering of tracks off of Super Mario World
@Steve Tasker

Not to be a broken record, but I am shocked you don't love these guys.  They did an entire set of video games New Year 2017. Here is the set. Shows probably on you tube.

2017 • PlayStation Theater • New York, NY

Tour: New Years Run 2017-18

Set 1: Caves of the East1> Basis For A Day> The Moon2, Helicopters> The Bionic Helix> And The Ladies Were The Rest Of The Night3> 424

Set 2: Super Mario Bros. Overworld Theme5> Aceetobee> Basis For A Day> Korobeiniki5> Aquatic Ape3> Aceetobee

Set 3: Little Lai> Super Mario Bros. Underworld Theme5> Little Lai> Super Mario Bros. Underworld Theme> Little Lai, Mindless Dribble6> 7-117> Basis For A Day, Strobelights and Martinis> Helicopters

Encore: Frog Legs

with 'Pac-Man' samples

first time played (video game themes)

Show starts at 14 minute mark. 

Set Two (Super Mario) stars at 1:43 mark.

We're gonna play some pool, skip some school, act real cool
Stay out all night, it's gonna feel all right

I probably would have picked the same two fwiw.  One other I have picked before.

@Steve Tasker

Not to be a broken record, but I am shocked you don't love these guys.  They did an entire set of video games New Year 2017. Here is the set. Shows probably on you tube.

2017 • PlayStation Theater • New York, NY

Tour: New Years Run 2017-18

Set 1: Caves of the East1> Basis For A Day> The Moon2, Helicopters> The Bionic Helix> And The Ladies Were The Rest Of The Night3> 424

Set 2: Super Mario Bros. Overworld Theme5> Aceetobee> Basis For A Day> Korobeiniki5> Aquatic Ape3> Aceetobee

Set 3: Little Lai> Super Mario Bros. Underworld Theme5> Little Lai> Super Mario Bros. Underworld Theme> Little Lai, Mindless Dribble6> 7-117> Basis For A Day, Strobelights and Martinis> Helicopters

Encore: Frog Legs

with 'Pac-Man' samples

first time played (video game themes)
Is this a pick?

Reminds me of the video games category from Genrepalooza #1 (I think)

We've reached a more skips than picks moment:  That said, in the hours from about 5-8 last night all hell broke loose, so...

24    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
24    .    2    simey    -    Gregg Allman    -    Live: Back To Macon, GA
24    .    3    rockaction    -    skip 5/27    -    
24    .    4    Mister CIA        permaskip    -    
24    .    5    Bonzai    -    full day today 5/28. Skip me and I'll catch up later.     -    
24    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -    timed out prior rd  - skipped    -    
24    .    7    MAC 32    -    System Of A Down    -    Hypnotize
24    .    8    Dr Octopus    -    Bruce Springsteen    -    The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
24    .    9    Ilov80s    -    Cannonball Adderly    -    Somethin' Else
24    .    10    Hov34    -    10 min clock    -    
24    .    11    rcam    -    ITC    -    
24    .    12    Mr Ected    -    skip    -    
24    .    13    Mrs Rannous    -    15 minute clock - skipped    -    
24    .    14    JZilla    -    @ and then skip    -    
24    .    15    landrys hat    -    Masters of Reality    -    Sunrise on the Sufferbus
24    .    16    krista 4    -    skip indefinitely    -    
24    .    17    Raging weasel    -    ITC    -    
24    .    18    Eephus    -    ITC    -    

23.19 - Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)
There's a 40th anniversary edition of Permanent Waves coming out tonight.

The various versions of this reissue come with plenty of solid extras, but only the second (live) collection of tracks was provided by the time of review. It includes 12 previously unreleased selections from the 1980 Permanent Waves world tour. They all sound equally clear, all-encompassing, and generally good, so the superlative choices depend entirely on personal preference. That said, it’s undeniably fascinating to hear how album inclusions like “Freewill”, “Jacob’s Ladder”, and “Natural Science” compare to both their studio counterparts and earlier gems like “The Trees”, “Xanadu”, and even “By-Tor and the Snow Dog” and “A Passage to Bangkok”. In that way, the bonus disc offers listeners a fine overview of Rush’s catalog during their first decade or so.
Hopefully this will be on things like Spotify. There is one version for $60 and another for $180. Can't imagine Mrs. E being too happy if that came over the AMEX bill!!

Users who are viewing this thread