What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (8 Viewers)

29.06 The Essential Django Reinhardt, Django Reinhardt (2011)

This is how i start my day. Every damn day. It's the only reason i can put up with y'all. It's the only way I can get on track after beginning each day by wiping the hole i came out of and stuffing comestibles past the drool of the other end. I aint kidding. Django, Stephane Grappelli & la Quintette Hot Club de France is my xanax/speedball.

By necessity it is a compilation cuz there simply wasnt albums, just 78rpms, when this music was made. I have another obscure compilation that i doubt Spotify has, so this. And i needs it.

Djangology

Minor Swing
:lmao:  I had a different Django compilation (by necessity) lined up for one of my make-up picks a couple of times, but went a different direction 'cause I had trouble figuring out which compilation to take. And I have also put on Django countless times while making breakfast, and it works better than any magic spell (was actually my most-played artist for 2017, according to Spotify).

29.06 The Essential Django Reinhardt, Django Reinhardt (2011)

This is how i start my day. Every damn day.
I used to do the EXACT same thing. Man, I dug for legit live albums. No dice, but he is one of a few BIG reasons I might abandon live. Here's how I see it @Abrantes, six djangos on the playlist is harmless. Just vary from wikkid. I think I will. I've been through half a decade of voracious guitar wankery and Django still blows my mind while being easier to listen to than just about anyone. Xanax Reinhardt.

This is tough- need this band on my island but hard to choose which album as the songs I really,really like are all scattered. Listened to all the live albums and didn't like the sound or versions on them so going with this. It's not really a greatest hits but 2 EPs of demos and B-sides so hope it's ok to draft.

Clutch-  Pitchfork and Lost Needles(2005)

What Would a Wookie Do?

Bottoms up, Socrates

Will need these added to playlist please as I'm not sure how to do it and don't want to FUBAR it.

29.25 - Loudon Wainwright III - History (1992)

I took his son’s album earlier today, and I knew all along I wanted both father and son.  Not sure Rufus would approve, as last I knew they didn’t have a great relationship. Loudon is a harder sell than Rufus as a person – he’s possibly too cynical and acerbic even for me – but I’m not sure there’s anyone who writes more truthfully about actual everyday relationships.  His songwriting is uncomfortably brilliant.

Loudon had three successive records that I would love to have on my island, so it was tough to choose.  I considered cheating with a live album, but the one available that covers these albums just didn’t do it for me. 

I made the tough choice to select this one in part because the songs were written and recorded just after his father had died.  I’m thinking about my dad a lot in the past few days, and my next pick will probably be in honor of him as well, so these songs are particularly speaking to me today.  In the aftermath of losing his father, Loudon is considering his own place in the world and not just the relationship he had with his father, but who he is as a dad now, too, and how he can develop his relationships with his own children.  These songs are achingly personal and as a result are to me his most beautiful.

4 x 10 (just a beautiful melody)

Sometimes I Forget

The second song is the one I was sobbing to earlier, but at least there's a very cute kitty in the Youtube ( @simey).  An ode to his dad:

Sometimes I forget that you've gone
You've gone, and you're not coming back
And it's hard to believe that you're still not here
What's left behind, disputes that fact

And your bookcase still holds all your books
It's as if all you've done is go out of town
You'll be back soon, that's just how it looks
But your suitcase is empty, it's right here in the hall
That's not even the strangest thing
Why would you leave your wallet behind
Your glasses, your wristwatch and ring
Your glasses, your wristwatch and ring

That we'll never see you again
I think for a moment, I've got to give him a call
But I can't now I realize that
No we can't meet for lunch at the usual place
The place where we always would go
And there was something I wanted to tell you so bad
Something I knew that you'd want to know
I could go by myself to our old haunt
That seems like such a strange thing to do
The waiters would wonder what was going on
Why weren't you there, where were you
Why weren't you there, where were you

I remember and I feel the ache
How could it have happened, how could it be
It's not true, there must be some mistake
Momentos, memories, tell me what good are they
No they're not much to have and to hold
And it's true that you're gone,
And you're not coming back
And this world seems so empty and cold
But sometimes things happen,
It doesn't seem strange
You're not far away, you're near
Sometimes it feels like you're right here
Right now it feels like you're right here

Last edited by a moderator:
current

landrys hat-ITC

JZilla-@then skip

Mrs Rannous-15 minute clock

Mr Ected-missed picks, skip

rcam-

Hov34-10 minute clock

Last edited by a moderator:
Where could he go?

No violence these days, but also no food.  The COVID has hit them hard, not just from the virus but their supply chain is completely broken.  There were a couple of flights to Miami last week on which all the American ex-pats were encouraged to leave.  Delta, which was one of the big carriers there, has announced they're not going to fly there anymore.  Not temporarily, but at all.
I dunno. I thought I remembered you posting about trying to help him get away, but my memory is getting more feeble by the minute.

It's so sad. Granada is a beautiful town with beautiful people. Thank you for helping me experience it.

I dunno. I thought I remembered you posting about trying to help him get away, but my memory is getting more feeble by the minute.

It's so sad. Granada is a beautiful town with beautiful people. Thank you for helping me experience it.
We tried to get him out of there.  Basically impossible due to current regime (ours).

29.25 - Loudon Wainwright III - History (1992)

Sometimes I Forget
That song will get ya in the heart. Reminds me of someone I mentioned a few years ago in a thread here. I'm not gonna say much about it,  but if anyone read that post in that thread it had to do with an abscess tooth that went to the brain, caused permanent brain damage, but not that much to where you weren't yourself, person couldn't deal with it, and it was lights out. Anyway, the Wainwright family can write some songs both serious and funny. Kinda like Mr. Prine.

That song will get ya in the heart. Reminds me of someone I mentioned a few years ago in a thread here. I'm not gonna say much about it,  but if anyone read that post in that thread it had to do with an abscess tooth that went to the brain, caused permanent brain damage, but not that much to where you weren't yourself, person couldn't deal with it, and it was lights out. Anyway, the Wainwright family can write some songs both serious and funny. Kinda like Mr. Prine.
Yeah, I'd love to have taken one of his funny songs, but these were the two I was feeling tonight.  Great comparison to Prine; hadn't considered that but he was similar in this way.

28.24 Fruit Bats - Absolute Loser (2016)

I didn't listen to this entire album until today, and it's great.  Humbug Mountain Song didn't make my top 1000 songs thread because I hadn't heard it until my list was compiled, but it was an add-on.  It has slowly crawled up into my top 100.

Tracklist:
From A Soon To Be Ghost Town    
Humbug Mountain Song
None Of Us

Absoluter Loser    
Baby Bluebird    
My Sweet Midwest    
Birthday Drunk    
Good Will Come To You    
It Must Be Easy    
Don't You Know That
Only one like for this.  Will you at least do me a favor and listen to Humbug?

I'm listenting to the mix and these have played...

Spirit of the Radio - live in Canada Rush -  I've always liked this song, so of course I like it.

If I Only had the Time -The Godfathers  -  I dig it.  Sounds like the 80s

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out - Live in NY - Nina Simone -  First off, she has always been a great piano player. She has a distinct voice, and she's a NC girl so what's not to like?

Glory Box - Portishead - Nice slow burning song

The Snipers at the Gates of Hell - The Black Angels - didn't hate it, but felt like I was in Hell's infirmary. A place they try to make you feel better, but at the same time remind you of where you are.

Clutch - Wookie - These guys rock really hard but I struggle to get past the lyrics.  Drafted their song about the crabcakes in the food draft.

Los Destellos - Psychedelica from Brazil.  It has a four minute intro before the singer jumps in.  Singer isn't great but he's into it.

OutKast- Ms. Jackson - The bassline in the chorus is real nice.  Big Boi's verse is choice.

System of a Down - Attack - The biggest sports talk guy in the Bay Area uses a System of a Down song as his theme.  I don't mind it when the singer croons but tonight ain't the night for when he screams

Nas - Lifes a ##### - Two rap songs out of three.  Nas is boss level.  The trumpet solo on the outro is played by Keb Mo's dad Olu Dara.

Dylan - Baby Blue - See my Dylan thread

Only one like for this.  Will you at least do me a favor and listen to Humbug?
I just listened and liked it a ton.  Love the banjo!  Was turned off by the lead singer's voice at first, but then it settled in a bit.  Putting on my "listen more to this band" list.

Is there a way for me to search the Spotify playlist to see which songs have already been taken by a particular artist?

Users who are viewing this thread