What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

Working on the text of the final Jukebox Draft rules.  I'll post later tonight.

Please bump in the AM if it slips off the front page.

True but one of the great jukebox songs of all time is not eligible. It’s not my bag so I don’t care but I swear it got played by somebody with regularity back in the years jukeboxes were a thing. 

If you must have a song that clocks in slightly longer that six minutes, it'll probably be allowed.  But we're trying to keep drunks from kicking the juke during the seven minute flute solo.

Ok, yeah I know the draft and it was the right playlist. That might have been the first draft I did with you guys. 
Also one of the first drafts I remember joining. Seems like I've been doing this longer, though I'm pretty sure that might have been the first.

Also one of the first drafts I remember joining. Seems like I've been doing this longer, though I'm pretty sure that might have been the first.
Yep, probably when I began speaking with you on here as well. I remember that draft I dedicated to my favorite local dive bar growing up that burned down in 2014 after serving Dearborn since the 40s. Howell's had a killer jukebox and I tried to recreate it. 

Yep, probably when I began speaking with you on here as well. I remember that draft I dedicated to my favorite local dive bar growing up that burned down in 2014 after serving Dearborn since the 40s. Howell's had a killer jukebox and I tried to recreate it. 
Probably so. I think there were other threads we'd crossed paths, but the first DI draft is close enough for me. Rock on. 

Jukeboxes are pretty few and far between nowadays, at least out here.  Even CD jukeboxes take up floorspace and require maintenance. 

There was a diner a block away from me that had a jukebox with some of the old wall mounted remotes.  It's apparently closing after 68 years due to COVID.  The jukebox was always out of order and the food wasn't anything special but it's another loss in the neighborhood. 

Have got to get something from the best band from our friends to the south(sorry Rush fans)-- The Tragically Hip. This is my fav album by them and listen to it at least once a week when I need a break from the metal. The hard part is picking the 2 songs to spotlight- everyday it seems I change my mind as almost every track is stellar. After giving it a listen earlier today these are the 2 that made the cut for today.

The Tragically Hip- Road Apples(1991)

Little Bones

Cordelia
Bump for Nautical Disaster, Fifty Mission Cap, and The Lonely End of the Rink

Seeing this bumped makes me want to do a new draft. Tim's TV one intrigues me but I can't get interested in that whole judging and drafting to impress thing.
I get zero "drafting to impress" vibe from a tim draft.  I've been in several and enjoyed it a lot.  I can't do the TV one since I have little TV knowledge, but if you're into a lot of shows, you might find it fun.

I get zero "drafting to impress" vibe from a tim draft.  I've been in several and enjoyed it a lot.  I can't do the TV one since I have little TV knowledge, but if you're into a lot of shows, you might find it fun.
What's the point of the judging then? The whole point seems to be to draft consensus favourites not what you individually like. 

Seeing this bumped makes me want to do a new draft. Tim's TV one intrigues me but I can't get interested in that whole judging and drafting to impress thing.
The judging part is not fun at all, the drafting part is a lot of fun.  I drafted only my favorites in the Movie draft and am near the bottom of the pack.  Competitiveness wants you to do well, but I will probably still draft a bunch of my favorites again with perhaps a better strategy of when to pick them...  its a fun distraction... and can't take anything too serious, it's all just for fun...

Last edited by a moderator:
The judging part is not fun at all, the drafting part is a lot of fun.  I drafted only my favorites in the Movie draft and am near the bottom of the pack.  Competitiveness wants you to do well, but I will probably still draft a bunch of my favorites again with perhaps a better strategy of when to pick them...  its a fun distraction... and can't take anything too serious, it's all just for fun...
To a point. I had fun, but I think I am too passionate and opinionated about movies to let some of the scores go.  :lol:   Some I thought were awful and pissed me off, but got to the point where I tried my best to just post a general "good job on a tough category" and move on.    For the most part I couldn't give a crap about movies, so that might actually be the better draft for me to participate in.  

To a point. I had fun, but I think I am too passionate and opinionated about movies to let some of the scores go.  :lol:   Some I thought were awful and pissed me off, but got to the point where I tried my best to just post a general "good job on a tough category" and move on.    For the most part I couldn't give a crap about movies, so that might actually be the better draft for me to participate in.  
I hear ya, 1pt from Jimmy Cagney was a tough pill to swallow, but I guess that's just the luck of the draw for the Judging part..

I hear ya, 1pt from Jimmy Cagney was a tough pill to swallow, but I guess that's just the luck of the draw for the Judging part..
Not even because of my score, but docs was the one I had to walk away from.   At the end of the day, it's supposed to be fun and it's a fake movie draft.   Just realize that besides participating in the same thing because we love movies, there are people in here that I have just about a complete opposite take on movies as they do and that's ok.  

Not even because of my score, but docs was the one I had to walk away from.   At the end of the day, it's supposed to be fun and it's a fake movie draft.   Just realize that besides participating in the same thing because we love movies, there are people in here that I have just about a complete opposite take on movies as they do and that's ok.  
yep, I came to the same conclusion.  I do think a TV draft has a lot more common ground and like you said,  Movies (and music) are a lot more personal.  but TV is one step removed... should be less agita on the judging.. but prob not, lol

yep, I came to the same conclusion.  I do think a TV draft has a lot more common ground and like you said,  Movies (and music) are a lot more personal.  but TV is one step removed... should be less agita on the judging.. but prob not, lol
Just wait until I volunteer to judge something and Buffy scores better than Breaking Bad and The Wire.  ;)  

Just wait until I volunteer to judge something and Buffy scores better than Breaking Bad and The Wire.  ;)  
I'm actually ok with that.. been watching Buffy with my daughters all summer... 👍
I didn't watch any of these shows when they were live, so they were all after the fact binge watches... except Buffy was actual "can't wait to watch the next episode" binging while The Wire and especially Breaking Bad were "everyone says this is so good, even though I hate all these characters, it's going to get better at some point, I'm sure" watching. 

I'm actually ok with that.. been watching Buffy with my daughters all summer... 👍
So jealous.  It is my favorite show - been through it at least 3-4 times in it's entirety and was just thinking about a rewatch.  I still haven't gotten through Angel, so one of these days I will go through them in the suggested order that I saw on a website where you watch them how the stories intermingle.   I really wish we had an HD version of this show.  

I hope when my daughter gets to be that age I can convince of the awesomeness of the show and we will watch together.  

I didn't watch any of these shows when they were live, so they were all after the fact binge watches... except Buffy was actual "can't wait to watch the next episode" binging while The Wire and especially Breaking Bad were "everyone says this is so good, even though I hate all these characters, it's going to get better at some point, I'm sure" watching. 
I think I went through about a 2-3 year phase where I watched a ton of TV shows.  I think it was right before Breaking Bad was about to wrap up, and I powered through that to catch up, and it was about the time that GoT was firing up.   What frustrates me about TV is that while the production is now up there with movies, I think it's so rare (Breaking Bad is an example) that a show is able to maintain a high level of quality throughout.   Mostly you can tell they had a couple season pitch and then had to figure out a way to stretch out the story to keep the show going.   I think most shows have a sweet spot of about 4 seasons and after that it's mostly meh, and for that reason I really have trouble starting shows and watching many shows just because I know I will get through 50+ episodes and probably disappointed.     That's a lot of time committed to something that I will probably end up thinking is just OK.  

That said, I fully admit that Buffy had a some low points - it's just one I love so much overall and love the way it ends that I give it a pass.  

So jealous.  It is my favorite show - been through it at least 3-4 times in it's entirety and was just thinking about a rewatch.  I still haven't gotten through Angel, so one of these days I will go through them in the suggested order that I saw on a website where you watch them how the stories intermingle.   I really wish we had an HD version of this show.  

I hope when my daughter gets to be that age I can convince of the awesomeness of the show and we will watch together.  
yeah it took until they are 22, 20 and 17.. but we are enjoying it together.  A lot of shows they will binge on there own, but I bought this one on Vudu earlier in the year with the hope of doing a re-watch with them.  We now watch this one all together, such a great show. I haven't re-watched myself since the original airing so it's been a ton of fun!

yeah it took until they are 22, 20 and 17.. but we are enjoying it together.  A lot of shows they will binge on there own, but I bought this one on Vudu earlier in the year with the hope of doing a re-watch with them.  We now watch this one all together, such a great show. I haven't re-watched myself since the original airing so it's been a ton of fun!
Have you watched Angel, and do you know what I am talking about with the suggestion to watch the two shows in a way that meshes their stories since there is crossover?

ETA:  sorry for turning this into the Buffy thread.  

Have you watched Angel, and do you know what I am talking about with the suggestion to watch the two shows in a way that meshes their stories since there is crossover?

ETA:  sorry for turning this into the Buffy thread.  
I watched only the first season and then i was out... it was pretty much Buffy or bust for me

What's the point of the judging then? The whole point seems to be to draft consensus favourites not what you individually like. 
I was in the movie one. I drafted movies/actors/directors I like. The TV one seems like way too much work - but I saw the judging more as fun. I mean who really cares if you win.

Draft idea:

Genrepalooza presents: FG Radio

In the mode of genrepalooza (so there will be dice). We come up with 50? "radio stations" loosely based on Sirius XM radio. For those unfamiliar, examples could include. 

• Hits 1
  • Road Trip Radio
  • 50s on 5 (pop hits)
  • 60s on 6 (pop hits)
  • 70s on 7 (pop hits)
  • 80s on 8 (pop hits)
  • 90s on 9 (pop hits)
  • Pop 2K (pop hits)
  • First Wave (80s alt)
  • Lithium (90s alt/grunge)
  • PopRocks
  • XMU (Indie)
  • Octane (hard rock)
  • Hair Nation
  • The Joint (reggae)
  • Fly (90s/00s hop hop r&b)
  • The Heat (new r&b)
  • Soul Town (Motown/classic soul)
  • The Groove (70s/80s r&b)
  • BPM (dance)
  • Globalization (worldwide hits)
  • Beatles Channel
  • Tom Petty Channel
  • Springsteen Channel
  • Elvis Channel
  • Pearl Jam Channel
  • Margaritaville
  • The Bridge (mellow classic rock)
  • Classic Rewind (70s/80s classic rock)
  • Classic Vinyl (60s/70s classic rock)
  • Deep Tracks (classic rock)
  • SoulCycle (exercise jams)
  • Coffee House (acoustic/singer songwriter)
  • Underground Garage
  • Turbo (90/00 hard rock)
  • Chill (downtempo/deep house)
  • Studio 54 (70s-00s club dance)
  • Prime Country (80s/90s country)
  • Willie's Roadhouse (classic country)
  • Bluegrass Junction
  • Real Jazz (classic jazz)
  • Sinatra (standards by Sinatra and others)
  • On Broadway (show tunes)
  • Bluesville
  • Symphony Hall (classical)
  • The covers channel
  • Velvet (pop vocalists)
  • Jam On (jam bands)
  • R&R Hall of Fame
  • Yacht Rock
  • Faction (modern punk)
  • Comes Alive! (Live songs)
We roll dice, 3 categories come up at a time. For the next two rounds, you pick songs from those three categories. Playlists are created. Music is discussed. 

Roll dice again, rinse, repeat. 

This may be way too many categories and too ambitious. :shrug:

Alright, I'll fire up a second post and negotiate with @Eephus for a licensing agreement on the Genrepalooza rights during the football game tonight that I will be watching, since last time I watched a debate I was involuntarily forced to have a nice season. 

Alright, I'll fire up a second post and negotiate with @Eephus for a licensing agreement on the Genrepalooza rights during the football game tonight that I will be watching, since last time I watched a debate I was involuntarily forced to have a nice season. 
I didn’t even realize that the debate was tonight. I’ll pass and save that for the masochists and bizarrely undecided.

Well based on your posts I don't think you are an undecided voter
Look further.  I am actually struggling with this one.  

Mostly, I was mildly interested to tune in to see if they would go through with the mic off part, and to see how a certain somebody would handle that.  :popcorn:

Ah-ha, so this is why Pitchfork has made a triumphant return. Will we be seeing your Canadian friend again this calendar year? 

Ah-ha, so this is why Pitchfork has made a triumphant return. Will we be seeing your Canadian friend again this calendar year? 
Early January. A fairly harmless joke (I thought) stolen from twitter = 106 days for "spamming" apparently :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread