What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boats - a thread about them (2 Viewers)

Fun with boating:  my SeaRay Sundancer 290 is in the salt year round.   I have a diver on it every other month to clean the hull and check the zincs.  He calls me and says he can't dive it because there's a fluid leak of some kind.   The only thing it can be is one of the outdrives, so it can't be fixed in the water.  I call around for a haul out and find a place.   Start the engines to head there and the alarm for the starboard gear lube reservoir goes off.   It's dead empty.   Found my leak, I guess.   Add some gear lube and off I go to haul out.   They put it on the dock and say they'll haul it after lunch, so I leave.   

Get a call from them saying that after I left it and before they hauled it, there was a sheen on the water, so they had to report it.  Get a call from the Coast Guard saying I'm in violation of the Clean Water Act and may be getting fined up to $5,000...for taking my boat in to fix the fluid leak that now I'm getting fined for.   

Fun with boating:  my SeaRay Sundancer 290 is in the salt year round.   I have a diver on it every other month to clean the hull and check the zincs.  He calls me and says he can't dive it because there's a fluid leak of some kind.   The only thing it can be is one of the outdrives, so it can't be fixed in the water.  I call around for a haul out and find a place.   Start the engines to head there and the alarm for the starboard gear lube reservoir goes off.   It's dead empty.   Found my leak, I guess.   Add some gear lube and off I go to haul out.   They put it on the dock and say they'll haul it after lunch, so I leave.   

Get a call from them saying that after I left it and before they hauled it, there was a sheen on the water, so they had to report it.  Get a call from the Coast Guard saying I'm in violation of the Clean Water Act and may be getting fined up to $5,000...for taking my boat in to fix the fluid leak that now I'm getting fined for.   
That blows. I hope they’ll back off once you explain the situation. Also, that’s a gorgeous boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a call from the Depatment of Ecology.  They’re issuing me a warning after doing an investigation that revealed that I lost a maximum of 4-6 oz of fluid, most of which was removed from the water by absorbents.  They told me I can expect to me contacted by the EPA next.

Just got a call from the Depatment of Ecology.  They’re issuing me a warning after doing an investigation that revealed that I lost a maximum of 4-6 oz of fluid, most of which was removed from the water by absorbents.  They told me I can expect to me contacted by the EPA next.
Catch them offguard and start off by asking for reimbursement for contaminating your gearcase with their saltwater. Negotiate from there.

Man I ####ed up.

I sold my beautiful badass boat to upsize... same boat a little bigger (Nautique 210 to the 230).

I put my boat up for sale, got flooded with interest, held off until I could line up the boat I wanted.  Dealer in Houston was transferring to my dealer, I was lined up to buy it last weekend.

So I sold for full ask (more than I paid new last year)............................................

AND the HOUSTON DEALER ####### SOLD THE BOAT INSTEAD OF TRANSFERING TO SAN ANTONIO.

Now I don't have my awesome boat and I can't find the boat I want to buy.

So pissed. Wife is pissed.  Kids are pissed.  Son of a #####.
Found another Super Air 230 :pickle:

Will be here just in time for the 4th.  :thumbup:

Thanks come on down to TX and we can debate vaccines on the boat over beers.
Sure thing.

My friend's GS24 took on water and almost sank the week before last.  This was his third season on it.  He just handed it back to the dealer.  

Sure thing.

My friend's GS24 took on water and almost sank the week before last.  This was his third season on it.  He just handed it back to the dealer.  
I had a deposit/build slot on a GS22 for the '22 models.... then I learned last week they jacked the MSRP's up 35%.  Lucked into the 230, the guy isn't gouging the price.

By the way, in the continuing saga of "why people shouldn't own boats" while mine was hauled out to get the outdrives worked on, I decided to have them go over everything and replace the exhaust manifolds.  They did a compression test (that should have been done when I had it surveyed) and the #5 cylinder had no compression.  Boroscope showed that salt water had gotten in through the manifold and destroyed the cylinder and piston.   New port engine.   Yay.   

Also, Mercruiser 5.0 is discontinued so we have to find a new long block somewhere other than the factory.  Nearest one is in Texas.   With shipping time and repairs, my boat should be back in the water by mid to late July, at a cost of about half the value of the entire boat.   But I'm pot committed at this point, so have to look at the upside that mechanically it should be good to go for the next 5 years, and she'll be detailed and bottom painted.

In the meantime, my old Wellcraft 18 is bulletproof and in the big boat's slip.   I've taken it out fishing a few times, so at least I'm getting out on the water.

My husband is currently trying to talk me into trading in/selling our current pontoon for a new tri-toon with a larger motor. 

My husband is currently trying to talk me into trading in/selling our current pontoon for a new tri-toon with a larger motor. 
I had (will have again shortly) the surf/wake boat, buddy has a pontoon.  Both serve a purpose.  The pontoons with big/lots of motors confuse me.

I had (will have again shortly) the surf/wake boat, buddy has a pontoon.  Both serve a purpose.  The pontoons with big/lots of motors confuse me.
Family member has a pontoon and I’ve spent quite a bit of time on them. But since I enjoy watersports and don’t regularly host more than 10 people, I can’t ever see myself buying one. 

Family member has a pontoon and I’ve spent quite a bit of time on them. But since I enjoy watersports and don’t regularly host more than 10 people, I can’t ever see myself buying one. 
Dude on Medina has a pontoon with 4 409HP motors.  Always hauling ### all over the place..... pointless.  :lol:

By the way, do you surf with your boat?  I’ve had mine 5 years and we’ve never surfed. The pumps and ballasts are operational (supposedly), but we’ve just never done it. My son wasn’t interested (he wakeboards and wakeskates) so we never bought a surfboard. Are we missing out?

By the way, do you surf with your boat?  I’ve had mine 5 years and we’ve never surfed. The pumps and ballasts are operational (supposedly), but we’ve just never done it. My son wasn’t interested (he wakeboards and wakeskates) so we never bought a surfboard. Are we missing out?
In my opinion yes.  Older boats are finicky with the waves, but you can add the suction cup things on the side to help.

I grew up real surfing (california/hawaii).  Then skiing and wakeboarding behind boats.  As I get older the surfing just makes sense.

Completely low impact - you are going 10-11mph, you arent strapped into the board, you dont hold the rope beyond getting up.  You are simply sinking the boat to create a wave behind it going so slow you literlally couldnt hurt yourself if you tried.

You can learn tricks enough to keep kids motivated, you are going so slow and are close enough to the boat to hear the music or even have a conversation with people in the boat.

In summary, we love it.  Wake surfing is actually the lone reason I became motivated to buy a boat.

Our lake is very shallow and has a ton of stumps. It eats speed/wake board boats alive. Pontoons don't sit as deep in the water. We have a regular pontoon with a 115 hp now. It turns like a semi truck and only goes about 20 to 22 mph while tubing. 

In my opinion yes.  Older boats are finicky with the waves, but you can add the suction cup things on the side to help.

I grew up real surfing (california/hawaii).  Then skiing and wakeboarding behind boats.  As I get older the surfing just makes sense.

Completely low impact - you are going 10-11mph, you arent strapped into the board, you dont hold the rope beyond getting up.  You are simply sinking the boat to create a wave behind it going so slow you literlally couldnt hurt yourself if you tried.

You can learn tricks enough to keep kids motivated, you are going so slow and are close enough to the boat to hear the music or even have a conversation with people in the boat.

In summary, we love it.  Wake surfing is actually the lone reason I became motivated to buy a boat.
Hmmm. Honestly, I’m freaked out to fill the ballasts. I shouldn’t be of course, but I am. Maybe this is the summer. Thanks for the perspective. 

Our lake is very shallow and has a ton of stumps. It eats speed/wake board boats alive. Pontoons don't sit as deep in the water. We have a regular pontoon with a 115 hp now. It turns like a semi truck and only goes about 20 to 22 mph while tubing. 
All pontoon boats turn like semi trucks (or barges). The bigger they are, the worse they handle. Bette rplan your moves well in advance. Biggest reason I got rid of my 24'.

Hmmm. Honestly, I’m freaked out to fill the ballasts. I shouldn’t be of course, but I am. Maybe this is the summer. Thanks for the perspective. 
Its kinda weird... I sink my boat to where I am ankle deep standing on the swim platform.

I once worked with this guy who restored some old boat.  First time he took it out it sank.  If that wasn't a heart break enough, he ended up with a large bill from EPA.

I tried this once on a relatives boat on Lake Barkley in Tennessee.  I grew up wake boarding, so it wasn't too foreign.  I agree with matuski, the low speed / impact was the immediate difference.  There is a reason wake boarders wear helmets... 

Another thing that stuck out to me was not being connected to the boat.  I have never really surfed, so it was amazing to go without being pulled.  It's just water and gravity.  It felt incredibly natural and smooth.

Talked to the fam, and we’re at least going to see if everything is operational next time we’re out there. We have a ballast down the middle of the boat and one on either side of the engine at the rear of the boat. Do you fill one side?  Both sides?  All three?  Have no idea what I’m doing here. 

Talked to the fam, and we’re at least going to see if everything is operational next time we’re out there. We have a ballast down the middle of the boat and one on either side of the engine at the rear of the boat. Do you fill one side?  Both sides?  All three?  Have no idea what I’m doing here. 
A lot of it is tinkering, every boat is a little different.

Generally fill it all. Then have the passengers on the boat sit on the surf side. Then start playing with the non surf side at 80%, etc etc. If your boat does not have a surf system, these wakeshapers gadgets make a huge difference.... just stick it right at the water line on surf side.

Google your boat surf setup... there is a lot of info out there.  You will need to find a speed that creates the best wave as well (usually 10.5-11.5)

I'm starting to get cold feet about a wake boat.  Mainly the price is the hang up.  10-15 year old boats are still running $35k or higher.  

You guys can help me out here.  A guy like me...never owned a boat, don't know much about them and I really just want some good family time on the water.  A pontoon boat is a good option right?  We could still tube, wake board or ski maybe?  What sort of motor do you need to be sure you can still tow a little? 

Seems like I can easily find a pontoon around here for $25k or less.  I figure this route saves me some cash instantly and lets the whole family figure out if we really are boat people.  If we wear it out in 2-3 years and the kids take to the water sports I can upgrade then.  
Someone else mentioned a Hurricane deck boat. That's what we have, a 21 footer. For what you want to do, which is family time on the water, I would seriously consider something like that.

Ours seems like a perfect first boat. Plenty of space on board for a family and even a few friends, can pull whatever you want fairly comfortably (we have a Yamaha 150), and you can find used ones for decent prices unlike wake boats.

Someone else mentioned a Hurricane deck boat. That's what we have, a 21 footer. For what you want to do, which is family time on the water, I would seriously consider something like that.

Ours seems like a perfect first boat. Plenty of space on board for a family and even a few friends, can pull whatever you want fairly comfortably (we have a Yamaha 150), and you can find used ones for decent prices unlike wake boats.
This may have been me.  We have a 2019 Hurricane 187, and it's our first boat.  19 foot with a Yamaha 115.

Yeah, I actually have looked a lot at those and I like them.  You can definitely get a newer one for $35-45k, but I just still think I'll regret not going with the wake boat.  I've been able to find a few in my price range.  Seen plenty of Moomba's 13-15 years old that fall into my range.  They go fast though.  You have to be ready to make the purchase and buy without seeing it.  

I'm still hung up on the whole ordeal honestly.  I've come to grips with spending the money, I just want to be able to use it enough.  I feel like we will.  I mean we have a marina in the neighborhood.  We could go out literally 5 or 6 days a week, if only for an hour or two.  The mental hurdle of  having no clue what I'm doing it also holding me back. 

I've never driven a boat, never parked a boat, never backed up a trailer, never been waterskiing or wakeboard...

IT JUST LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

I still have the neighbor that supposedly has a boat and he's supposed to take me out and show me the ropes, but he hasn't yet.  Its been over a year of these little talks so I'm starting to think its not going to happen.  

Yeah, I actually have looked a lot at those and I like them.  You can definitely get a newer one for $35-45k, but I just still think I'll regret not going with the wake boat.  I've been able to find a few in my price range.  Seen plenty of Moomba's 13-15 years old that fall into my range.  They go fast though.  You have to be ready to make the purchase and buy without seeing it.  

I'm still hung up on the whole ordeal honestly.  I've come to grips with spending the money, I just want to be able to use it enough.  I feel like we will.  I mean we have a marina in the neighborhood.  We could go out literally 5 or 6 days a week, if only for an hour or two.  The mental hurdle of  having no clue what I'm doing it also holding me back. 

I've never driven a boat, never parked a boat, never backed up a trailer, never been waterskiing or wakeboard...

IT JUST LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

I still have the neighbor that supposedly has a boat and he's supposed to take me out and show me the ropes, but he hasn't yet.  Its been over a year of these little talks so I'm starting to think its not going to happen.  
We got our 15 year old Hurricane for ~$10k. It's not as nice as a newer boat, but honestly I like that about it for a first boat. I haven't been nervous about ####### something up, keeping it spotless, or getting any dings or scrapes. It's been a good intro. We are in our 2nd year and love it.

I will admit that I'm jealous of the nicer wake boats I see on the lake. If I had the cash I'd probably do that.

We got our 15 year old Hurricane for ~$10k. It's not as nice as a newer boat, but honestly I like that about it for a first boat. I haven't been nervous about ####### something up, keeping it spotless, or getting any dings or scrapes. It's been a good intro. We are in our 2nd year and love it.

I will admit that I'm jealous of the nicer wake boats I see on the lake. If I had the cash I'd probably do that.
If I could find one for that I think I'd do it in a heart beat!  I just can't find anything that cheap.  Something like that would do everything we needed it too, with the exception of being able to surf.  Right now my kids go out with with some neighbors and all they want to do it tube.  

Maybe you're on to something??

We walk do to the Marina all the time because there are 2 big gators that hang out.  I was talking to a guy (I didnt know him) about boats.  Told him we were looking for a wake boat.  He said, "well I got one for sale if you're interested."  Of course I am!  

We walk around the corner and he shows me his boat....$163,000

I did ask him if the price was negotiable.  Get TF outta here guy.   :lol:

Alright @Worm and @arrow1 You guys have talked me into seriously considering these.  Not that I don't mind spending up to $20k, but staying under $10k would feel like a homerun. 

Just came across this one.  Its 20 years old, but looks in pretty good shape.  Has an upgraded Volvo engine that 270 HP.  That seems legit huh?  

Alright @Worm and @arrow1 You guys have talked me into seriously considering these.  Not that I don't mind spending up to $20k, but staying under $10k would feel like a homerun. 

Just came across this one.  Its 20 years old, but looks in pretty good shape.  Has an upgraded Volvo engine that 270 HP.  That seems legit huh?  
Looks pretty clean for a 20 year old boat.  I'd ask how many hours on the engine.  But the price seems good.  

Same scenario here. I'm in year 4 of my first boat, a 22ft 2015 pontoon with a 90hp Merc. A friend, who always has to have the best of everything, has a 24 ft 2019 Bennington with a Yamaha 150hp...just a way nicer boat than mine in every respect. He ordered a new boat which is supposed to come in end of this month. It's so hard to find pontoons in this area (N. Illinois), I told him to call me before he lists it. 

More power is definitely necessary for me...I live on a chain of lakes and if we want to head pretty far with even 6-8 people aboard, I top out at like 17-18 mph if the water is even modestly choppy.

This boat market is driving me insane.   I finally found one though, but now my freaking insurance agent is making me feel like #### about going thru with it.  We're good friends...

Found this Moomba, in my neighborhood (which saves me a good bit).  

$49,000.  Top of my budget....its a huge boat though.  Owner ran in in shallow water and got sand in the intake 2 years ago.  He made a claim and got a new motor, has 40 hours on it.  Also went ahead and redid the upholstery and new gel coat...the boat looks great, IMO.  

My ins agent is guilting me big time.  She said they bought a 2009 Axis A22 in 2017 for $26,500.  They sold it to a friend a month or two ago for $36k.  I'm trying to tell her she's the one that got robbed.  

I mean, this is a good boat don't you think?

This boat market is driving me insane.   I finally found one though, but now my freaking insurance agent is making me feel like #### about going thru with it.  We're good friends...

$49,000.  Top of my budget....its a huge boat though.  Owner ran in in shallow water and got sand in the intake 2 years ago.  He made a claim and got a new motor, has 40 hours on it.  Also went ahead and redid the upholstery and new gel coat...the boat looks great, IMO.  

My ins agent is guilting me big time.  She said they bought a 2009 Axis A22 in 2017 for $26,500.  They sold it to a friend a month or two ago for $36k.  I'm trying to tell her she's the one that got robbed.  

Beautiful boat.  In this market it will not last long, imo.

I would try to knock them down a fair bit imo.

That boat MSRP'd for $48k in '08... meaning they prob spent ~35-40k

I would try to knock them down a fair bit imo.

That boat MSRP'd for $48k in '08... meaning they prob spent ~35-40k
I think new in 2008 it was like $62k.  I get it...####s high right now.  He's wanting $47500 now.  I asked him to come down to $45k. 

he is throwing in all his gear, which is probably over $1000worth of stuff.  Wake Maker, life jackets, couple of wake boards, surf boards and a tube.  

I think new in 2008 it was like $62k.  I get it...####s high right now.  He's wanting $47500 now.  I asked him to come down to $45k. 

he is throwing in all his gear, which is probably over $1000worth of stuff.  Wake Maker, life jackets, couple of wake boards, surf boards and a tube.  
Link

Base MSRP: $49,190

I guess he could have added a bunch of options but im not sure what that would be.

eta - either way yea prob should pay it if you want it.

New engine is a big deal. 
Done deal.  Secured for $46k.  Can’t wait to get this bad boy out on the water.  It’s literally exactly what I wanted.

it’s a little bigger than the standard engine.  5.7 L 350HP.  

I was fully convinced and ready to drive 8-10 hours to get one which would have been buying sight unseen really.  Knowing all the work has been done by local marinas is a big deal.  I’m sure I’m over paying a bit, but I’m happy with it...very happy.  

thanks for all the help...think I started posting in here well over a year ago!  Patience had pretty much run out.

Done deal.  Secured for $46k.  Can’t wait to get this bad boy out on the water.  It’s literally exactly what I wanted.

it’s a little bigger than the standard engine.  5.7 L 350HP.  

I was fully convinced and ready to drive 8-10 hours to get one which would have been buying sight unseen really.  Knowing all the work has been done by local marinas is a big deal.  I’m sure I’m over paying a bit, but I’m happy with it...very happy.  

thanks for all the help...think I started posting in here well over a year ago!  Patience had pretty much run out.
I would highly recommend that you invest a little money in a survey before consummating the deal. It's a small price to pay to either have great piece of mind or avoid a hidden time bomb that you probably can't spot yourself unless you are very experienced with boats. New gel coat and new motor would make this a must for me.

Users who are viewing this thread